Chapter 3: Auris
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: Auris

Auris anxiously awaited in his home, the storm outside raging with relentless fury. Even within the confines of his residence, he could hear the howling wind and witness the lightning illuminating the darkened sky.

As his wife's screams subsided, for better or worse, Auris found solace in the presence of his mother-in-law. Valeria's mother, a prominent figure within the esteemed Sisterhood of the Wyrd, held immense power and influence. Rumored to be part of an ancient organization as old as the Empire itself, their objectives and locations remained shrouded in secrecy, protected by formidable and prohibitive magic. Even as an Archmage, Auris couldn't help but admire the Sisterhood's unparalleled mastery of enchantments and curses. Despite his relentless efforts over the past decade to remove the magic that had branded his wife, he remained clueless as to how to proceed, causing him great sorrow and despair. Yet, Valeria had never uttered a complaint. She mever complained, even when she left everything for him...

Auris's ruminations on his wife were interrupted by the opening of the door to Valeria's room, through which Valenya emerged, moving slowly and deliberately. After carefully closing the door behind her, she approached Auris swiftly, ready to relay everything that had transpired within the room.

A wave of relief washed over Auris as Valenya shared the details, but a sliver of worry lingered in his heart for his wife and the undisclosed prophecy. All they could do now was wait for Valeria to awaken.

Valenya began probing Auris about the state of affairs within the empire. Auris, speaking quietly but honestly, described the dangers that lurked within. He spoke of the fracturing of the ruling lords, consumed by greed and battling for scraps of power. He detailed the pervasive decadence and corruption that had infected society, as well as the ravenous exploitation of the valuable manastone mines which are the Empire's greatest strategic resource. Mass disappearings and dark rumors of forbidden magic and unethical human experimentation began to surface. 

Auris confessed that the precarious state of their city-state had opened the door for rebel factions to challenge their authority, prompting him to strive for alliances and the stabilization of his territory.

With a heavy heart, Auris shared the weight of his responsibilities, knowing that the fate of his family and the empire hung in the balance. The impending awakening of his wife, coupled with the unknown prophecy, only added to the uncertainty of the times. In the face of mounting challenges, Auris and Valenya resolved to stand together, using their collective strength and wisdom to navigate the treacherous path that lay ahead.

0