Chapter 9: Valenya
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9: Valenya

Valenya rose before dawn, venturing out of the castle to gather herbs and mushrooms that would aid in Merys' strength for the journey ahead. It was a skill she had honed as part of the Sisterhood, who excelled not only in magic but also in healing arts and herbal remedies. Upon returning to the household, she found the couple waiting with their peacefully sleeping child.

As she observed her family, Valenya couldn't help but contemplate the sacrifices they were about to make and the arduous path that lay ahead. A twinge of darkness flickered in her mind as thoughts of the possibility of losing her daughter and grandson forever invaded her thoughts.

But she pushed those thoughts aside, steeling herself with determination and duty. Valenya approached Valeria, her eyes filled with love and concern, and gently received her grandson into her arms. Wrapping them both in comfortable clothing, she knew that the journey ahead would be challenging but necessary.

No words were needed between Valenya and Valeria. They shared a strong embrace, bidding each other farewell with fire burning in their hearts.

With Merys secure against her chest, Valenya raced along the path, her pace slightly slower than when she first arrived at the estate but still swift as a running horse. She had a destination in mind—the forest's lake. This would be their portal to Avalon, though any large body of water would suffice with the proper incantations and preparations.

However, her thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a sense of danger that washed over her. Reacting swiftly, Valenya evaded three needles that stabbed into the ground where she had stood moments before. An assassin had targeted her.

Questions flooded her mind. Was the assassin lying in wait for her? Or had they been following her all along? How did this killer know her path? Was Avalon compromised? She couldn't fathom how she had failed to detect the assassin's presence.

With no destructive power like the empire's wizards or physical prowess like the northern barbarians, the Sisters had to rely on their own unique skills in combat.

Summoning a magical shield, Valenya knew it wouldn't completely nullify the piercing capabilities of the needles, but it would buy her some time. She prepared herself for a fight, even though the assassin seemed to underestimate the power of a Reverend Mother.

The failed ambush had given her the advantage. It was now her turn to end this encounter. There would be no second chances.

"~STOP~," she commanded, her voice infused with magical power—a command that couldn't be easily disobeyed, not even by her son-in-law, an Archmage.

The shadowy figure struggled for a moment before halting a few meters away from Valenya.

"~DISARM YOURSELF. KNEEL~," she ordered, and the assassin complied without uttering a word. She needed him alive for interrogation, to uncover the source of the hidden blade. The situation was too bizarre to ignore.

Approaching cautiously, Valenya commanded the assassin to "~UNCOVER YOUR FACE~." To her surprise, the assassin resisted, but without any weapons visible, she wasn't overly concerned about immediate danger.

Undeterred, she repeated her command, and the assassin reluctantly complied, revealing a face that shocked her to the core. It was an undead. That's why she couldn't sense the ambush. Now she had to uncover who was behind this vile act.

In her sock and to her dismay, the undead creature broke free from her command and charged toward her. Its bloated form and malevolent intentions sent a chill down Valenya's spine. She knew that she didn't have enough time to gather sufficient magical power to protect herself and her grandson from the impending explosion. Thinking quickly, Valenya focused her remaining magical energy on reinforcing the centerpiece of her shield, creating a protective barrier around her chest and the sleeping Merys. With what little power remained, she swiftly backdashed, attempting to distance herself from the explosion.

A deafening blast echoed through the forest as the undead assassin detonated, unleashing a destructive force that sent shockwaves rippling through the surroundings. Animals scattered in fear, fleeing from the vicious energy that permeated the air.

As the dust settled and the smoke dispersed, a figure emerged from the aftermath, limping but resolute. Valenya, battered but determined, continued her steady approach toward the lake at the heart of the forest. She knew that she had to press forward, despite the danger and the unknown new problems that awaited them in Avalon.

With Merys cradled in her arms, Valenya gazed at the shimmering surface of the lake. It held the promise of a new beginning, a realm where the wisdom of the Sisterhood could guide them and where they could uncover the truth that would shape their future.

After taking a wand from her garbs, she draw a few magical circles and wrote the special words in the sandy lake shore. Taking a deep breath, Valenya stepped into the waters, feeling the mystical energy envelop her. As she moved forward, the ripples spread outward, carrying her and Merys into the unknown depths of Avalon.

With determination shining in her eyes, Valenya whispered to herself, "We shall overcome, my grandson. Together, we shall face whatever lies ahead and ensure that our family's endures."

And so, Valenya disappeared beneath the surface of the lake, venturing into the mystical realm of Avalon, where destiny awaited their arrival. The journey had only just begun, and their courage would be tested in ways they could never have imagined. But Valenya and Merys would be ready to embrace the challenges that lay ahead.

0