Chapter Nine. Optioned.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rentap Dressiler sighed silently as he considered his wife’s expression. Cheaine Dressiler, his wife of almost twenty years was both beautiful and intelligent, too intelligent and too accustomed to reading his feelings to miss the signs of anxiety that gnawed at him. In any case the expression that he could not hide as he watched the news feed on his viewer was a dead giveaway.

“Why do you watch that show dear? I can see that it distresses you,” she said, asking the question he expected.

Standing, Rentap wandered with irresolution around their private living room, his lean face with deep set eyes carrying a frown instead of the smile that in private he could show his wife. Stopping at the large window he took in the normally calming view of Lepus Mal, the capital of Ti Lepus. This time, his internal agitation meant no relaxation. “It is all these stories about the Empire, all of them being repeated over some news outlets then others pick them up, spreading them around! And not a bit of truth in any of them.” He waved his hand as he answered Cheaine.

Rentap continued pacing around the room while Cheaine watched and sipped her morning tea. Deciding she should speak, she opened with, “It’s not too bad, just some stories. The Empire will laugh it off, and things will continue as they were before.” She gave a little shrug of her bare shoulders and continued. “These fanatics, they are just sounding off, no one takes any notice of them anyway.” Standing she put a gown over the transparent and somewhat erotic sleeping clothes she wore in their private area.

“That’s the problem, the news people are taking notice and running their stories. As for the Empire, well I do work with outworlders, remember I operate an import, export business and I have also dealt with the Legion, they watch for stories like these.” He stopped pacing. “I have read about this agitation before, on other planets. The agitation got worse, bad things happened and soon the legion was involved and people were dying.” Rentap embraced his wife as she moved to him. “I don’t want it to happen here.”

“You are well known, have status and influence.” She said, hoping to comfort both her husband and herself. “If you speak to other high status people, they will listen to you.”

“Yes indeed I do so that is some small comfort.” He smiled, shook himself and kissed her. They were in their apartment and could show the affection between them that would be frowned on in public. “It is early. I will go to my office and get work started, then reach out to some of my contacts. We will see.”

Already dressed for the day, he picked up his comm unit and entered the code encrypting the device.

“Tell the children I am sorry that I could not see them.” Rentap paused and added with another smile. “If they notice that is.” Children the age of theirs were the same across the galaxy. At least among humanoids.

“I will, and don’t worry.” She smiled, but as Rentap left, the smile disappeared as she considered what they had talked about. First changing into suitable casual clothes, then taking the time to compose herself and decide on a course of action, Cheaine moved out of the parents living area through the lounge to the private family area. It would be unbecoming of a high status woman of Ti Lepus to be seen showing worry or any other emotion. Self-discipline and strength of character were considered virtues of high regard. Tall for a woman of Ti Lepus, Cheaine was beautiful by any standard. Dark hair, expressive eyes, complimented by a lovely smile, graced her face. A slender body was usually hidden under the extensive layers of clothes that were required wearing. “Dinis, Kapat, you are both ready for academy?”

While both were enrolled in the same academy, they were in separate carefully defined courses. Dinis were designed to prepare him to follow in his father’s business, while Kapat was studying to follow her mother’s path. This was not a given, particularly for high status children who had greater latitude in selecting careers than children of a lower status. Extensive testing throughout the time the high status children were in school, along with the children’s stated preferences, resulted in a unique career curriculum for all students in the same group. Children of lesser status had fewer options.

“Yes mother, we are ready.” Dinis was in his fifteenth year and already approaching his father’s height. Kapat, fourteen was an image of her mother, already beautiful. Both were bright, well-schooled children who clearly understood that their status was something to be guarded carefully.

Having seen her children off to the academy which was in the same apartment complex, Cheaine began her day. Speaking to her housekeeper, she set the days schedule for the automated cleaners and arranged for any necessary purchases. Entering her private study she took a deep breath and engaged her personal communicator. The call went to her husband’s mistress, Lorena Makapet. For a man of high status a mistress was considered a necessity because a man who chose not to have one was considered unmanly and he risked losing status.

Lorena Makapet answered the comm with, “Good morning, Mrs. Dressiler, it is always good to speak with you,” she said with the smile that had first enchanted her lover. An attractive woman, some who knew her compared her to the Circle of Ladies, the group of beautiful and extraordinarily powerful woman who were considered the closest advisors to the Dark Lord, the remote and immortal being who ruled the empire. It was an unusual compliment for such a xenophobic people.

“We need to meet.” Banished the smile from her face. A brief discussion of Rentaps angst followed with a time and a place to meet quickly agreed. Both woman were long-time members of the Trigon Club.

*********

Arriving early, as was her custom now that she was in her second week at the club, Cami quickly got ready for her shift. It had become a habit for her to walk with her mentor and the two had developed a tentative bond. She also preferred to get changed without so many girls around although she was becoming used to the lack of privacy. Ready, she went to her station on the floor.

*********

At the Trigon Club Cheaine went to the inconspicuous entrance for members that lead to the real club. Checked in, Cheaine was led by an attendant to her reserved table in a closeted alcove. All those who came in here wanted privacy, not for sex, as such places were forbidden although they existed anyway, but for meetings and conversation that would not be overheard or recorded. This club was for women. There were others for men, the two rarely mixed in public except on special occasions.

Taking her seat, Cheaine was a little surprised to see that Lorena was not already present. Ordering a drink of Findus sparkling water from the attendant who had seated her, she waited. Cami arrived with her order of Findus sparkling water first.

A little flustered, Lorena arrived shortly afterward, a bit out of breath.

“My humble regrets for making you wait,” Lorena’s apology was delivered with sincerity. Cheaine accepted the proffered apology with the grace her status demanded.

“I am sure that it was unavoidable, Lorena.” Cheaine said as she called for the assigned attendant. Cami arrived accepting their orders with her newly won self-confidence. Both women took a light lunch of fruits and vegetables with Lorena also having a sparkling drink. After Cami returned and delivered their order, they settled in for their meeting.

“That girl is lovely,” Lorena watched Cami leave, “She reminds me of another girl I knew when I was younger.”

Cheaine watched her as well, “I agree, she is new, nice looking and she seems well trained. Perhaps I will take an option on her contract.” At the same time she thought back to when she was fifteen and she became a mentor to a young woman who had gained a contract with her family. It had been an exciting time for her and the girl had gone on to become the mistress of a successful man.

“I think that would be wise. Young, well trained and attractive girls, while not uncommon, there are never enough around when you are looking for one,” Lorena appraised Cami again as she passed. “She won’t last long here.”

Cheaine nodded, with a piece of fruit in her mouth it would have been impolite to speak. Both knew that The Trigon Club was used as an entry place for suitable girls to go into service with high-status families. That was the reason the girls were dressed in a manner that best displayed them to the wives of the men who would then buy their contracts. So attractive young girls such as Cami would soon get a contract.

“The weather is lovely this spring, I wanted to stop and walk under the Ispar trees.” Cheaine remarked, picking up some more fruit, and eating it. “That girl, she is like this piece of fruit, sweet,” Cheaine added as Cami again passed by.

“Indeed the blue and yellow flowers are exquisite.” Lorena replied, then with a slight smile adding, “And indeed, the fruit is sweet,” eating a piece. Cheaine chuckled enjoying the repartee.

They chatted lightly for a fraction before coming to the real reason they were meeting.

“What have you decided? Rentap has only mentioned his concerns in passing. I really don’t know his mind on these people,” Lorena remarked.

“I did some research and I did not like at all what I found.” Cheaine began then described how she did a search for the news stories that had caused such concern to her husband. “The same story repeated over and over again. Just enough details changed to make it seem like real stories from different planets.” She shuddered and continued. “And the descriptions of the atrocities; terrible, enough to give one nightmares.” She finished pecking at her plate.

Lorena was both impressed and surprised, but wondered what Rentap would make of Cheaines activities. Keeping such thoughts to herself she replied, “So you think that there is not a bit of truth to these stories?”

“Not a bit. Go look for those planets. Try and find them in any database! None of them, except one or two, exist and the ones that do are very well documented with completely different stories!” Lorena concealed her surprise at Cheaines open display of emotion.

“I see.” Lorena frowned. She pushed her plate, now empty, aside. Then a thought crossed her mind, “Do you think that these stories might be written by the same person?” A sip emptied her glass. Looking at Cheaines equally empty glass, she rang for the Cami.

“Indeed I do, and I even looked up the writer. There were different names given and different public biographies listed.” Then she smiled, “But look at this.” Passing over her comm unit, Lorena looked at the screen. Puzzled, she looked up but was interrupted by Cami’s arrival. She pointed to the glasses. Cami nodded, said “Yes Mistress,” and left, taking the empty glasses and plates with her.

“I know this person, not well, but slightly, he is an underwriter at a news outlet where Rentap took me for a minor award gathering.” Cheaine said as Lorena looked at the screen again.

 “I don’t see what you are getting at?” Lorena said confused. “That person is not at all of any high status no matter what he calls himself. I don’t see what influence he could have.”

 “Look at his associations.”

“Yes, I see them.”

“Good now take note of the third one down.”

“The Free Writer’s Club’ I see it.”

“Flick to the next one.”

The next writer was a matronly woman. Lorena did not know her, but a check of the associations showed the same club. This was the same for all seven of the writers listed as authors of the news stories. Only one other of whom she had heard of.

Cami returned during this time and elegantly placed the drinks on the table. Watching closely, Cheaine noted that Cami was careful to avoid looking at their comm units. Good. Well trained, she thought.

“So they all belonged to the same club. What makes that significant?” Lorena asked after Cami left.

“A good question,” smiled Cheaine. It was obvious that she was enjoying eking out her revelations. “I wondered myself. After all, writers as a class like to gather and read their compositions to each other. So I did a search for this club, to see if I could find who the members were.”

Taking her comm back, she tapped it several times then returned it to Lorena. Taking it Lorena read the information, gasped and looked up. They both knew of the secretary, a notorious agitator, Kirkrup di Frim.

“Yes, puts a different complexion onto it, doesn’t it.” Cheaine looked at Lorena. “Kirkrup di Frim, he is a nasty one from what I have read of him. So is his wife Nikie, she is slippery. I knew her as a student and saw how eager she was to snag a high status man. Too eager, she tried to organise us so we could each snare a man but she would get the best. We all saw through her and refused to play along, I think that is why she hates us, one reason anyway.” Cheaine pursed her lips. “I wonder if she remembers me.” Shaking off the thought, she continued, “I am sure that they are using this ‘Free Writer’s Club’ for their purposes and I will speak to Rentap about it.” Cheaine smiled and changed the subject. “Now, what have you done this lovely morning?”

Impressed, Lorena hid her surprise at the revelation about Nikie di Frim and met the look of the wife of her lover. The agreement that they had was not designed for situations such as this, but she had no choice. A sigh escaped her. “I went looking for some advice. So I went to the one person I could trust.”

Cheaine waited, this was interesting and she was good at waiting.

“I went to my mother.”

Now that was a revelation although not completely unexpected. Cheaine knew Lorena’s mother and had met her on occasion. It was also somewhat reassuring, Ardine Makapet was a person of high regard, even with her status as a past mistress.

“I am sure that you received good advice, can you tell me what she said?” Even though it was phrased in the form of a polite request, Lorena knew that she had no choice but to answer.

“When I told her what you said, she also was worried. She knows our people well and if this, well it is difficult to say, if it gets traction, things could get ugly, really ugly. She also feels that there is someone else behind this.”

“I agree with your mother on both counts. This Kirkrup doesn’t have the brains to think of this. Run it, yes, but conceive it, no. I believe that I also know our people well. If things get out of hand, it could indeed be nasty.” She paused, “How long can you stay?”

Lorena consulted her own comm. “A little longer. No later than the fifteenth period.” She said.

Cheaine nodded, this had taken longer than she had expected. “I have to be back by then as well.” She considered the next move, “Are you going to involve The Chain?” The Chain was an association that formally did not exist. It was made up by the Mistresses of the elite and Ardine Makapet was, Cheaine knew, still a member. The Chain could prove to be a powerful ally.

“I don’t know, I don’t understand what is happening yet and who is behind it and why. My mother agrees and is also very concerned. This could get dangerous.”

“That I already considered. To do my searches I used a proxy, one I will carefully watch over and see if there is any reaction to.” Cheaine smiled, not a happy smile but a grim one. Looking around she continued, “I don’t even trust this place fully. We must be careful.”

“I will. When I visit my mother, I never go directly, but always get off at a different address.” She smiled, a somewhat forlorn smile. “We of our class have learnt long ago to be careful.” It was a rare moment, and Cheaine was tempted to reach out and take Lorena’s hand, but the strictures of her status intervened and she could only give a sympathetic look.

“Take care, Lorena Makapet. I will raise this with my husband.” Saying her full name in this way was a compliment showing high regard and Lorena appreciated it. Cheaine continued, “You will only have to be honest with him if he asks. Reach out to others in the Chain, but only those who you believe you can trust.” Pausing and checking the time on her comm, Cheaine noted that it was time to go. “We will meet again, here in a week’s time?”

Agreeing, Lorena left first so that they would not be seen together. After sitting and thinking for a fraction, Cheaine called for the bill which was brought to her by Cami. Sitting back she looked Cami over, as she considered her decision, “What is your name please?”

“Cami sis Nep, madam.” This told Cheaine that Cami was of the lower serving class

 “Turn around please,” Cheaine indicated with a finger at the same time.

Cami did as ordered and Cheaine continued to appraise her. Not tall, of the normal height for her age, a very pretty face, slender with small breasts and slim hips. Her body was nicely toned by athletic activities while her skin was pale and flawless, complimented by her light brown hair. Her attitude was that of a well-trained serving girl with no undercurrent of sullenness.

“How old are you?”

“Just turned fourteen madam,” All the time Cami was standing with her eyes lowered and hands behind her back as required by her training. An older woman, one of the orderlies employed stood a few meters away, a normal precaution even in as strongly regimented a society as Ti Lepus’s. All citizens of Ti Lepus knew their place in their society and struggled to improve it. This was the driving force in Ti Lepus society. And the main cause for angst.

“What is your contract? Are you open to be bought?” This raised the girls eyes, filled with hope, then slid them to the orderly who nodded.

“My contract runs to the end of summer, then I am to be returned to my home. It is an open contract madam.”  As this was early spring on Ti Lepus, whose year was longer than a standard year, the end of summer meant that her contract had almost seven standard months to run. An open contract meant that she could leave the club and go into service with a family without a penalty. It also meant that a commission would have to be paid to the club. A closed contract meant that her family would also have to approve the purchase of the contract and they would receive a bonus if they did. Which meant more time and expense.

“My son is a year older then you. I will have to discuss this with my husband first of course.” Standing, Cheaine turned to the orderly, “Bring the contract please. I wish to secure this girl with an option.” Cheaine was happy with her decision, Cami seemed intelligent and knew at least some of the details of her contract. As the contract was being produced she considered Cami again, it’s a pity that a girl like this one, who shows such promise, cannot choose her own path she thought.

All this was a well-established procedure on Ti Lepus, and the option was quickly completed. Full details of Cami sis Nep’s medical history, clear; sexual history, none; and all other personal and training details were in Cheaines possession when she left the club. The thought about Cami being unable to choose her own path was forgotten.

*********

Cami felt like she was floating as she returned to her station. An option! And it was only the second week! And with what was clearly a high status woman! Her mentor Lin met her there

“Wonderful news.” Came with a nod, “But don’t get too excited, there is a long way to go and you still have work to do.” Lin cautioned. Cami nodded in understanding, took a deep breath and composed herself. I will have to do a search on them and talk to the manager like I was warned to do. I don’t want to make a mistake, not at this time, she thought.

0