Chapter Ten. Rentap meets the Secret Police.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arriving early at his office, Rentap was taken aback. Two members of the planets police force were waiting to speak to him. Inspector Nic ra Ptocto of the Patrol and Sessi Dark gen Wattar of the Secret Police had been sent by his old friend, Minister Trem De Markus, the Minister for Trade in the present government. Rentap was more surprised by Wattar, ‘Sessi’ meant that he was senior to the Inspector while the insert ‘gen’ meant that he was a member of  the Labour and Worker class, the second lowest on the planet. That he was a senior member of the secret police spoke highly of his abilities. Rentap silently resolved to never underrate him.

After having their identification checked, this was done by Rentap’s secretary, Osterwald ra Tyrrel, with a “This way sir’s” the four men headed to Rentaps office. There they sat in a comfortable meeting area. Both declined refreshment so, after studying the two policeman for a fraction, Rentap opened the conversation.

“Please state the reasons that you were sent by the government to me. I know no more then what Minister De Markus told me when I spoke to him several days ago. It seems that he had concerns about some of the comm programs that I had imported from the Empire.”

Sessi Dark gen Wattar leaned forward. “So you spoke to the Trade Minister some time ago, and you are aware of possible problems, are you not?”

“I am aware that he has concerns, however these were not clarified.” Rentap replied.

The Gray gave a straight look as he replied, “You are importing computer programs from other planets of the Empire as well as from the Empire itself, however I don’t think that what the programs contain is at all important, not to the agitators.” Sessi Dark gen Wattar explained.

“I am not sure that I understand. What do you mean?”

“Have you been catching all the news about the Empire? I mean all those crazy stories about empire atrocities.” The Inspector put in.

Surprised by the abrupt change, Rentap hesitated before replying, “Yes, they were what I was going to discuss with the minister myself.”

 “So you didn’t like them?” Inspector Nic ra Ptocto continued.

“That would be correct.” Rentap said slowly and somewhat dryly.

“What would you say to claims that the programs you are bringing in were poisoning people’s minds?” The Gray asked.

“I would say that you are mad?” Rentap snapped out as he sat up straight in his chair. Osterwald echoed his master.

“Deadly serious I assure you. I see this as one of the next steps that these agitators could take.” Sessi Dark gen Wattar leaned forward in added emphasis. “The Empire is bad! Look what it did to all those good people! After that comes; What is it doing to you and your children?” The Gray looked grim as he continued. “This will resonate particularly with the firsters, those that believe in the purity of Ti Lepus and want to cut all communication with any other planet.”

Rentap sat back and stared at the secret policeman.

After a fraction, Wattar continued. ”I have studied the types of tactics that the agitators have been using. Starting with simple stories and progressing to stories that are more and more damming and containing greater and more horrific atrocities. It has happened on other planets before.”

“What happened on those planets?” Osterwald asked, he was not sure that he wanted to know, but could not stop himself.

“It varied. In some of the instances, the Empire was eventually called in, but in others they did not intervene. In almost all cases in which they did intervene, they were called in by the planets government. There were a few cases in which they did intervene directly and without being requested by the local government, but I am interested in the internal processes, not the Empire and its reasons.” Sessi Dark gen Wattar, was speaking with ease, as if he was a professor expounding on a well-rehearsed subject.  “I would add, in many of the cases that the Empire did get involved, there was violent war with devastation of the planet and its people. The legion is a very big hammer to bring in to kill an insect.”

“In short, in all cases, the agitation lead first to protests, then it expanded to violence, then continued to riots and civil war. Unless the process was somehow stopped.” He paused. “How it was stopped was the key.”

“And how was that accomplished?” Osterwald asked as Rentap seemed to be in shock.

“First, you need someone to speak for the government who can be trusted. Second, he or she has to always tell the truth, or at least no lies. He must be given all the facts, even all the unpleasant ones. The more he knows, the better he can deal with the knowledge and give it with authority. Also you need the sympathy of the media, even then, it will be very difficult. Second, the leaders need to be identified and dealt with.”

Rentap was sitting back up. “Why are they doing this? What can they hope to achieve?” he asked.

“Ah,” said the Gray, “You have reached the core of the problem. You see, there are two versions of ‘they’.” He paused for effect, “The first version are the ones you see. These are the ones, more or less, in the open. The writers and reporters. The ones who will be making the speeches and the ones organising them. These are the first ‘they’, and they get the brunt of our attention. Often their motivation is deeply imbedded resentment, anger and frustration at their lack of success or status for the most part. Tied in are those I mentioned earlier, the firsters. Also, some who will be helping them will actually be from a higher class and doing this out of a strangely held sense of sympathy. Crazy I know but it is how some people think. Another group is comprised of people whose ideology is opposed to the government or its supporters or indeed, society in general. There are others.”

Dark gen Wattar paused to clear his throat. At this, Rentap made a sign to Osterwald who poured a glass of chilled water and handed it to the secret policeman getting a nod of thanks in return. Both the businessmen had gotten over their astonishment that a member of the working class was a secret policemen.

Refreshed, Wattar continued, “Now the second group will be harder to track down and we may not get them all.” The Gray showed his confidence, “You see, these are the backers who supply credits and other forms of underhanded assistance. This group will always try to stay clear of any direct involvement and many of those that they are supplying assistance to will not even know who they are. They will use other people to distance themselves from any nastiness. In general, they want the first group to succeed to a limited degree only. You see, what this second group is interested in is power and its associated benefit, financial reward. They are less interested in ideology although that cannot be dismissed.”

“That is dangerous, isn’t it?” Osterwald asked.

“Indeed,” replied the Inspector. “Once these agitators get going, they can be very difficult to control.”

“Supplying credits I can see, but what other forms of assistance would they need?” Rentap asked.

“Access to computers, travel documents, false papers, even weapons.” The Gray answered.

This was a world that Rentap and Osterwald did not know or understand. They were totally out of their depth and it showed. But one thing was obvious to Rentap and he laid it out for them all. “Some of those things are very difficult to get. I would not know, other than the computers, where to get them.” He paused, “Why would they want to have weapons?” He asked. “What use would they be?” His eyes flicked between the two policemen sitting in his office.

Sitting back, Sessi Dark gen Wattar, gave a sigh. “There are two reasons. The first is a perceived need for self-defence. The second reason is far more sinister.” He looked Rentap directly in the eye. “It is to carry out murders to get rid of people who are in the way or to create an atmosphere of terror. Mostly the latter.”

Rentap sat back in his chair, staring at the secret policeman. His eyes flicked to his secretary who stared back at him. They both now knew, they, their families and all their staff were targets.

0