Chapter Fourteen. The Rains Festival Looms.
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cheaine was waiting with a smile when the doors slid open on Rentaps arrival. To the casual observer, it would seem that the stricter security arrangements that had been agreed three months before, after the public execution of the journalist, had no effect on the beautiful woman, but Rentap knew his wife too well.

“Darling.” He took his wife into his arms and kissed her.

“Rentap! The children!” Cheaine protested the, to her, unseemly display of open affection.

“We are in our own house and there is no one in the vestibule, so why should I not kiss my beautiful wife.” He looked around. “Where are the children and Cami, anyway?”

“Jean is watching them, they are in their lounge.” Although Cheaine had protested the kiss, she had made no attempt to release herself from the hold her husband’s arms had of her. Indeed, she was holding him just as firmly.

“I will go and get changed. We will need to talk to the children about the festival tomorrow.” Kissing his wife again, he released her and, walking side by side, they moved to their private quarters.

*********

At his office that day, Rentap had spoken to his new partner Osterwald ra Tyrrel. Due to the reality that attacks by agitators had greatly increased, they would attend the Rains Festival on different days. Osterwald, no longer his secretary but now a partner would attend the next day. A security guard would accompany both of them in the future to all events as well as securing the office.

*********

After the meal, the family gathered together, the parents joining the youths in the latter’s lounge. Jean brought in light refreshments.

“Thank you Jean.” Rentap acknowledged the service. Jean left thinking again about her hopes for improving her status. As this was her last task, she retired for the night.

“We really must do something about her status,” Cheaine commented, unaware of Jeans thoughts.

“I agree. After the festival, we will,” Rentap agreed. Both Dinis and Kapat agreed vocally while Cami, still wary although there had been no recriminations about her action at the meet, nodded in agreement. At races since then, some of the other contestants had expressed their admiration to her, carefully of course and she had also struck up some tentative new friendships. Kapat had helped, even taking the self defense course with her but Cami was still uncertain of her place. And for some unknown reason, she felt uneasy about going to the Rains Festival. Perhaps because it’s the first major public outing the whole family is going to together, she thought, and it’s not an athletic meet.

Covering her unease, Cami expressed her curiosity about the Rains Festival. “What happens? I have never been able to attend one before, I always had chores or school and only could go to the Sun Festival once or twice.”

“Oh, it is fun, but be prepared, you will get wet!” Kapat laughed.

“Wet, all the clothes!” Cami was shocked, thinking of all her lovely new clothes. Again changing the subject to cover her uncertainty, she turned to Rentap and Cheaine, “I am sorry that we missed the Sun Festival because of me.” They had visited Camis at that time.

“Oh yes! So don’t wear clothes that have dye that will run and stain.” Dinis interjected with a grin, not allowing her to escape. Cami gave him a look of horror.

“Now, don’t scare Cami,” scolded Rentap, hiding his amusement, “All of our clothes are coloured with dyes that won’t run.” Turning to Cami, Rentap reassured her, “It was good to meet your family and bring back some items that are important to you. Anyway your family were very nice and they could see that you are well taken care of.”

Cami nodded, thinking of to the trip back to her home. It had been good to see her family again, but in the manner of the young, it was the festival that now occupied her mind. She asked about her clothes again, “What should I wear tomorrow?”

Hiding a smile, Cheaine stood and beckoned the two girls to follow her. “We will select the clothes that both of you will wear tomorrow. And make very sure that the dye in them will not run!”

With a laugh, the two girls hustled out the room holding hands and giggling at the same time. Cheaine gave her husband a rueful look and followed.

Rentap gave his wife an amused smile as she left, but wisely refrained from comment. His son was not as restrained.

“Why do girls act so, I don’t know, silly.” Dinis stopped and his father just waited. “I mean, I love my sister and like Cami a lot, more as I get to know her better and she has a nice family. But they just annoy me so much at times.” He sat back with a huff.

“Because they are fourteen year old girls, that is why and you are not yet sixteen and don’t see the possibilities.” Dinis opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as his father held up his hand.

“Son, you are fifteen, and you will be sixteen years of age within the month. That is a turning point for you. You will receive more responsibilities and your curriculum at school will become more focused so you will have to make more choices. One of them will eventually involve Cami.” Rentap paused before continuing.

Dinis was sitting with quiet attention. He had anticipated this discussion.

His farther continued, “You know that Cami sis Nep will not be fifteen for about eight months and therefore, sixteen a year after that. She will not be allowed or available until then.” The unspoken implication was clear. “That will be a long time for you to wait. And you must be patient and wait! If you are having problems with that, you must tell me. But remember, even then she may not agree and you must accept that.” Again, his father paused, then continued.

“You know the law, any rupture of the law cannot be hidden and the consequences would be severe. Not just to you and her, but to all of us. Not least our status. You will face the greatest test over the next year and a half.”

Rentap eyed his son, the message seemed to be getting through, at least at this time. Although he was sure that much of it would be soon forgotten. After all, he too had been young once.

“Father …” Whatever his son was about to say was interrupted as the two girls came back into the room. This time, sedately, as young women of their status. Cami was to consider herself of the same status and be aware of how girls of high status should hold themselves. Cheaine followed.

“All ready for tomorrow, dear?” Smiled Rentap. His wife gave him the look that wives gives husbands at such times.

“The clothes are at least,” Cheaine replied, then looked at her son. She could read the signs of a serious talk, however knowing her place in the convoluted world of Ti Lepus’s internal workings, she remained silent. On that subject at least, but there were others that she could broach.

“Have you selected your clothes, Dinis?” Cheaine asked her son.

“Not yet mother,” Dinis said quietly “I will see to it now, then retire.” He nodded to both his parents. “Goodnight mother, father.” Then to his sister and Cami as well, without speaking.

“Goodnight son.” Rentap returned the nod.

“Goodnight Dinis.” Smiled Cheaine.

“Goodnight brother,” waved Kapat.

“Goodnight,” from Cami.

“You two need to go to bed as well. It will be a long day tomorrow.” Rentap addressed the two young women.

The two girls stood gracefully, Kapat kissed her father, then her mother. Wishing them goodnight, she left to her room.

Cami gave them both a graceful bow as she had been taught and also wished them both goodnight and retired to her room.

As the two adults walked to their private quarters, they talked quietly, as husband and wife are wont to.

“Cami has really come along. She is becoming part of the family. You have done well, my dear.” Rentap congratulated his wife.

“Yes, she is.” Cheaine gave a satisfied smile.

“Dinis is taken with her but still very young. But the next couple of years are going to be hard for him.”

“I know you will help him darling.”

The two continued to talk, arranging the affairs of her family as good parents always do.

0