Part Five. Chapter Fifteen. Cami Runs For Her Life.
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While she had no idea where the teams were, Nikie di Frim didn’t care. All she knew was that there would be at least three teams of three men. She did not know them and did not want to know them or anything about them. As long as they did their job, that was all that mattered. Neither did she did know who the spy stationed outside Cheaine Dressiler’s spire was; that the spy knew who they were looking for was enough. Confirmation that the Dressiler’s had left for the festival was all Nikie needed.

The rains had broken for the morning and the sun flooded the city with its white light. This worried Nikie slightly as the cursed patrol would be alert, but conversely the work of identifying the Dressiler’s would be easier and the three squads would be able to operate better without rain. The conservative dress that the people of Ti Lepus customarily wore would assist in hiding their weapons.

Leaving the temporary accommodation she had taken to be close to the festival grounds, Nikie joined the crowd walking there. Her destination was the entrance used by those of high status. Although she had scouted this entrance before, boiling in anger, this time she almost smiled. Today she would see the person she hated most, destroyed.

I only wish that somehow Cheaine knew that it was me who arranged this, Nikie brooded, but it will be good to watch anyway.

 If it had been possible or feasible, she would have been in a building overlooking the entrance to the fairgrounds, but there were no buildings high enough and they were all locked. In any case, she wanted to be close as possible to the action so she could see her hated rival die.

*********

The Dressiler’s were in a state of mild chaos.

Both Kapat and Cami had decided that the clothes that they had selected the night before weren’t what they really wanted and were getting dressed and changing clothes at the same time. Back and forth they went, dressing and undressing and redressing, all to Cheaines growing annoyance while Rentap hide his amusement and Dinis, his frustration.

“Kapat! Cami!” Cheaine spoke more sternly then she usually did. “Enough changes.”

Dinis rolled his eyes, glancing at his father. Rentap was keeping his face covered with as bland a look as he possibly manage.

“Why do they have to be like that?” Dinis hissed to his father, try to keep his voice as low as possible so as to avoid his mother’s wrath. If anyone was going to feel the whip, and it looked like someone would, it wasn’t going to be him.

“We’ll wait in our lobby dear,” Rentap ushered his son to their access at the public elevator which was on the outside of the building.

Arriving, he pointed, “Dinis sit,” he said taking a chair for himself. Moodily, Dinis folded his lean body into the chair. “Patience, son. This is all new to Cami, and Kapat is excited to show her everything. You will have to make some allowances for the two of them today.” He eyed his son. “If you don’t you will be punishing yourself along with all of us and that will not make me happy.” He gave his son an encouraging smile, then continued, “If you want to have some fun, just watch your mother having to deal with both Cami and your sister.” Rentap chuckled. “Personally, I am planning on enjoying the show.”

Dinis stared at his father, then started to laugh, joined by his father.

The pair were still chuckling when the three female members of the family, followed by Jean, arrived in the dwelling’s lobby area. Both Cami and Kapat were wearing dark coloured smocks. Camis was deep blue while Kapats was dark green. Cheaine was wearing an ankle length dress of sunset red. All three, like the two men, were carrying their hats and coats.

“What are you laughing at?” frowned Kapat. Cami looked puzzled, but Cheaine just gave the two men one of her patented looks, the one every husband knows, the one that says; we will discuss this later.

“We should be going, that is, if you don’t want to be late now, dear.” When his wife used that tone and phrasing, Rentap knew to just smile and acquiesce.

Entering the family’s departure code, he called the elevator. “I ordered an extra-large automatic for us today. I think that all of us will need it.” Turning to the housekeeper he told her that they would be eating at the festival grounds so she could have the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon off. Jean bowed and left with a “Yes master,”

“Will it wait for us?” Cheaine was still using that tone.

Rentap took note and answered smoothly. “It is not yet time for its arrival, I set it for period nine point five.”

“Good,” she said abruptly, which revealed Cheaines continued state of annoyance.

Eyeing his wife, Rentap knew that a public display of affection would be rejected, furthermore, it would be inappropriate, which would only make Cheaine even unhappier. Being an astute man, he left his wife well alone.

It was the outside elevator that was being used this day and it arrived on time. Kapat, Cami and Dinis all stood back respectfully as their parents entered. As the three young people entered, Cami gave a gasp and stepped quickly to the front, entranced by the floor to ceiling view of Lepus Mal.

“Have you been in this elevator before Cami?” asked Rentap with the smile he could show as they were still on their private living area.

“No master, never,” she replied awestruck, her eyes glued to the scene in front of her. “I have only used the inside ones.”

The clouds had broken apart and the white light from the system’s hot sun, a class FV, was streaming through in radiant beams. Mists were raising from the drying streets and floating past the towers. Today, Lepus Mal was beautiful in its steaming glory.

As the elevator dropped, the aspect changed. Beams of sunlight bounced off buildings, sometimes dazzling and sometimes throwing cascades of radiance in all the colours of the rainbow. Spread through the clouds, were more beams of light, broken into colours of gold, orange and violet, all spreading their glory over the city.

Cami was delighted and her happiness was infectious. Both Kapat and Dinis followed her to the front pointing out the changing landscape of light. Rentap felt happier than he had for several months. Turning to them, Cami exclaimed “What a lovely view! I can’t believe that we don’t use this elevator every day!”

Cheaine could not help but laugh and Rentap laughed along with her. The two looked at each other. The previous tension evaporated.

“It is a beautiful sight,” Cheaine murmured.

“Almost as beautiful as you,” Rentap murmured back, the compliment turning Cheaines cheeks a rosy pink.

She gave her husband a smouldering look that promised for later, then asked, “You did say that Lorena was joining us, didn’t you?”

“She commed me from the buildings arrival level a fraction ago. You don’t have second thoughts, do you?”

“No, she can take Cami and Kapat in hand and model for them how to behave in public.”

“Especially Cami.” Rentap smiled, looking at how Cami was almost jumping up and down as she moved to stand on tiptoe at every new blaze of light. Kapat was chattering away and also showing enthusiasm, pointing out different views to her brother and Cami. Even Dinis was affected by the two young girl’s enthusiasm.

“She is delightful, but sometimes her enthusiasm gets the best of her.” He continued.

“And she gets the other two joining in,” Cheaine observed, but she was still smiling.

As the elevator moved lower, Rentap nodded to Cheaine. She sighed, but stepped to Cami and Kapat.

“Calm down now, Kapat, Cami, Dinis. The public will be seeing us soon, so remember your status.”

“Yes mother.”

“Yes mistress.”

All the family were properly dressed from the outing and they quickly checked that every item was correct and in place as the elevator floated slowly to a stop at the ground floor. The doors slid open and the five stepped out into the foyer of the apartment tower. Cheaine and Rentap stepped out first followed by Kapat and Cami. Dinis was the last one off, standing tall and with as dignified a mien as he could manage.

Waiting for them was Lorena Makapet, dressed in a similar conservative style. With a smile, she waved them over, “Was it a good ride down?” She asked the girls her smile still in evidence.

“Wonderful, thank you.” Kapat smiled.

“Yes thank you, Madam Makapet.” Even the solemn words could not hid the grin Cami was trying to suppress.

“I have the same elevator in my tower. I take it every chance I get.” As Lorena spoke, she turned and began to move towards the main doors. The door attendant held the door open with a bow to the parents and a nod to the rest.

While both Cheaine and Rentap nodded back, Lorena gave the man a small smile, much to his discomfort. The three children just walked by, each giving a nod of thanks.

Outside, the group of six waited for the automatic conveyance arrival, then boarded with the proper deference for the seniority of Cheaine, Lorena and Rentap. Once in, they settled into their seats.

*********

The spy, recognising the family she was waiting for keyed her comm with the code phrase, “Empire.” Nikie on her way received the phrase a fraction later. She did not smile. Inwardly, however, she exalted. The observer’s job completed, she left idly wondering just what she had done. With a mental shrug she put the matter from her mind and left to meet with her husband who had no idea what his wife was involved in. The two, both of high service class, met at a café where they shared a meal before returning to their home. They did not go to the festival grounds.

*********

Now halfway to her destination, Nikie di Frim, glanced idly at the crowds heading in the same direction wondering how many of them were also heading to the festival grounds. Also crossing her mind, was the thought that some of those walking with her may be members of the team. As casually as possible, she looked from left to right, trying not to seem inquisitive. That would only draw attention to herself.

*********

As none of the three teams were in the same area as Nikie, her curiosity was redundant. They had all arrived separately, posing as visitors for the Rains Festival, each staying in the temporary accommodation provided for single travelling men and paying no attention to each other. All this they had learned and practiced in the months since the conviction and death of Wiski Lewes. That unfortunate was a martyr to these men, and they were prepared to die to avenge him. Of Nikie di Frim, they had no knowledge at all.

Arming themselves with the weapons that they were to use, then leaving their separate accommodations, some at about the same time as Nikie, others at slightly different times, but all carefully choreographed, they travelled by foot to the main gates of the festival grounds, their final destination.

*********

Entering the destination into the console, Rentap engaged the automatic drive then settled back into his seat. Turning around with a smile he addressed the rest of his family, “Just under a period to go and we will be at the festival.” Joining the traffic smoothly, the Dressiler’s chatted in their anonymity paying no attention to the crowds walking.

“What can we do first when we arrive?” Cami asked. “Go to the shower display? The river splash? The water wash?” Excited about going to the festival for the first time, she had searched her comm for some of the attractions.

“Then you will get really wet.” Dinis showed his lofty knowledge. “Do you want to be wet all day?”

“Oh, a little water won’t hurt a big boy like you.” Cami showed her mostly hidden spirit. “At home, before I got a contract, I had to walk home in the rain many times.”

Kapat laughed. “Yes Dinis, you don’t want to think that girls are tougher then you!”

“Now girls, don’t tease,” Cheaine spoke with a warning note.

“Cami, why don’t you and I walk together for a while? I have been at the festival before and there are a few things that I can show you,” Lorena intervened.

“I think that is an excellent idea.” Cheaine agreed

Kapat began to ask if she could come along. Cheaine frowned slightly and was about to speak but Lorena spoke first, “I think that it would be best if it was just Cami, you can join us later, Kapat.”

Disgruntled, but the years of training overrode her inclination to protest, so Kapat sat back in her chair. Up front Dinis gave a small smile. The spotlight had shifted off him for now. 

Rentap sat quietly in his seat, giving only a small bit of his attention to the chatter behind him. He had been covertly surveying the crowds walking, but with no experience or knowledge of what to look for, he did not see anything suspicious. It would not have mattered anyway, what he was looking for lay ahead.

*********

Nikie di Frim was almost at the gates. Looking around, she saw that all the transporters came in from her right, passing her before stopping at a drop point and discharging before continuing out on the left. If she stood where she was, across the street from the arrivals, she would be too far away and unable to clearly identify the targets she needed to. She would have to cross the street and get closer.

With a quick glance around, she moved to the pedestrian crossing area. Keeping a careful watch for the target vehicle, she crossed only when she and the waiting crowd received the proper signal and the crossing security gates lifted. She did not follow the crowd into the fairgrounds, but moved towards the vehicle arrival area. Casting another swift glance around, she saw that there were already spectators there, people everywhere always wanted to see the arrival of the high status. Fools, Nikie thought cynically, You will get a good show today.

*********

As their conveyance drew closer to their destination, Rentap looked around, “Looks like the festival is going to be even more crowded than usual today. The nice weather has drawn everyone out.”

“Well, father, it is a holiday.” Dinis put in.

Their conveyance was slowing as the crowds caused the automatic safety features in their and other vehicles to engage.

*********

The nine men were still slowly easing into groups of three, a process complicated by the crowds as they were careful not to draw attention to themselves. It was preferable, at this stage, for them to get as close as possible to their selected position without annoying anyone rather than being in the perfect position that they could strike from. If they had to, they knew what to do. Anyone who got in the way when it was time was to be eliminated.

*********

The conveyance in front of the Dressiler’s was stopped as the road closed to allow pedestrians to cross in a flood. At the all clear signal the front vehicle started then stopped again. The passengers exited quickly, seeming to be in a hurry to enter the gates, the Dressiler’s watching with amusement. The empty conveyance pulled away, its automatic system directing it to the nearest empty parking spot or sending it onto whoever may have ordered it.

This left the Dressiler’s vehicle free to move to the front of the queue.

*********

With a sharp intake of breath, Nikie di Frim saw the approaching conveyance and recognised who was in it. Pulling out her comm unit, she entered the code phrase, an old saying of their people: “Ti Lepus lives.” Hidden in the crowd as Nikie was, Cheaine never saw her.

Next, was a swift description of as much as she could see of Rentap who would most likely be the first to exit the conveyance. As it slowed, another passed it and stopped in front. The doors opened on both at the same time and two men, dressed virtually identically to Rentap, got out of the one in front.

In a heart stopping fraction, Nikie knew that things were going to go wrong, she just didn’t realise by how much.

*********

Weapons still concealed, five of the men were now in position, each ready to kill. Four further back, jostling other people aside, were trying to join them. None had energy weapons. They were obtainable, but projectile weapons were easier to get. Nikie also careered forward, pushing people out of the way ignoring cries of protest, hoping everything was going to go to plan, but knowing inside herself that things were going to go wrong.

*********

Rentap was surprised when they were passed. Dinis was as well. “Someone is in a hurry,” he commented.

“Or more important. Well, here we are, let’s go,” Rentap said, as he exited, Dinis following.

In the back of the conveyance, Kapat and Cami were busily chatting, planning for their future lives. Kapat to get a good marriage. Cami to maintain her position with the Dressiler’s. Lorena and Cheaine exchanged knowing glances, watching the two girls making plans. Each thought back to their own youth when they had similar hopes even as Cheaine went to open her door.

*********

The five men who had got to the front of the crowd, raised their projectile weapons, fingers pressed triggers and all five fired the first rounds. Rentap never even saw them.

Two at the Dressiler’s, and three at the nameless man and his companions.

Rentap took the first two bullets in his body, the shock driving the breath from his lungs. He slumped against the conveyance and slid to the ground. Dinis took one in his head, knocking his cap off. He fell soundlessly back onto the front seat of the conveyance. The nameless man and his companion were also down and dying. The killers kept shooting.

The screaming started. A few of the crowd began to scatter, others stood still, shocked and uncertain as to what was going on. Even several members of the patrol, stationed at or near the gate, were shocked into temporary immobility. But at more gunfire, training swiftly asserted itself. The patrolmen began to move, calls went out and were responded to. More patrol members, some armed with pulse weapons, others with stun guns, rushed to the scene of carnage.

The gunmen had used the brief space of time ruthlessly. Two had concentrated on the Dressiler’s, three on the vehicle in front, the other four on innocent bystanders who were in the way. Two more people in the front conveyance were shot and killed.

*********

Rentap was down, dying. He gasped, looked once for Cheaine, then closed his eyes. Dinis was already dead, the single bullet had done its job, the rest that struck him, unnecessary. Cheaine had jumped out of the conveyance, grabbing at her husband, screaming in vain for him to answer her. One of the gunmen, off to the side, took careful aim and emptied his weapon; one with a revolving cylinder, into her back. Cheaine collapsed onto her husband without a sound, dead. Lorena, still in the vehicle, screamed at the sight. Kapat and Cami were also screaming, terrified. Yelling at them to get out on the other side, Lorena stepped out of the conveyance hoping to cover them. Doing so cost her, her life as she was gunned down without mercy and fell across Cheaine, her mouth working in protest.

*********

Meanwhile, some of the nearby onlookers, showing unexpected courage, aided by patrolman rushing to the gate, had diverted several of the gunman from their mission. One of these diversions had been performed unintentionally by Nikie.

Anxious to see her hated rival from years gone by killed, Nikie had made the mistake of running up and grabbing the closest of the gunmen. Without thinking, she yelled at him to stop shooting at the front vehicle. Before she could say anymore, the man turned, pointed his weapon and fired a shot directly into her forehead. She dropped without speaking another word. The gunman turned back to his prey, before he could open fire again, a stun bean hit the back of his head, knocking him unconscious.

*********

The four gunmen in the crowd had, by this time, fought off the attempts by the unarmed crowd to stop them but this left them short of ammunition as they had only one reload each. Some of the weapons took six rounds, some seven and one eight. Also patrol reinforcements were arriving so two who had reloaded, turned their guns on the patrol, their heavy coats reducing the impact of stun beams where they didn’t strike bare flesh. However, the stun beams did have a momentary paralysing effect, allowing the patrolmen with pulse guns to kill them.

*********

Kapat was scrambling to open the far door while Cami cringed inside the vehicle. Finally getting the door open, Kapat yelled at Cami to follow her. Conditioned to follow orders, and knowing that she had to get out of there if she was to live, Cami slid across the seat only to find Kapat on the road, dead. She had been shot in the back as she had exited the transporter. Cami screamed “NO,” and crawled out of the vehicle. Climbing to her feet she started to run in an unintentional staggering motion. Smiling, three of the remaining gunmen raised their guns and fired, incredibly, all three missed as they had never shot at a moving and weaving target before. One began to run after her, gun raised and spitting bullets, but was killed by an alert patrolman with a pulse weapon. The other two turned to face the patrol, but were killed before they could fire their last rounds.

The last remaining gunman had hidden himself between the two conveyances. Peeking around the vehicles, he saw that he was the last of the nine and was determined to finish what he had been trained to do. When he saw that the others had missed Cami, he knew. Lifting his weapon, he took careful aim and fired, empting his magazine. She staggered briefly as the bullets tugged at her cloak but continued to run across the road, pulling off her cloak and dropping it as she went. A darkly dressed man and woman standing in front of a building with an open door waved to her and Cami ran towards them. The killer swore as he reloaded, stood up and fired again, missed but wounded a bystander. A pulse beam killed him before he could shoot again.

*********

Reaching the other side of the road, Camis left arm was grabbed by the strange man and he pulled her into the building, shutting the door behind them. “Come with me, we’ve got to get you out of here,” the man yelled. A woman standing there grabbed the other arm and the three of them went deeper into the building, down stairs toward the basement levels.

*********

Sessi Dark gen Wattar was checking various displays at the festival for security concerning the Council of Ministers when the alarms sounded. He had carried out his investigations in the unrest and this had included interviewing Ardine Makapet, Lorena’s mother. He paled with shock and ran along with other police officers, to the main gate. Running to the vehicles, he showed his identification when a patrolman tried to stop him. Like others, he was at first stunned by the carnage.

“No …” he rebounded with the shock of seeing the slaughtered Dressiler’s. “Not the whole family.”

“Another one ran that way, sir. These killers were shooting at her but all missed,” one patrolman indicated some of the shooters as he shook his head in wonder, “lucky girl.” he recognised authority when he saw it. “Alive, but I don’t know what happened to her, she disappeared into that building,” he pointed.

“Cami!” The Gray swore a rare oath as he realised who was missing. He looked at the building but decided not to follow immediately.

“You know her, sir?” the patrolman, asked.

“Yes, she is or was under contract to that family there.” He pointed to the Dressiler’s. “Her name is Cami sis Nep, put out a call for her, recovery only.”

“Got it, sir. Most of the rest are dead, I think.”

“Do it! And keep me informed of any reports.” He showed his identification to the patrolman. The patrolman eyed him, the secret police were not to be trifled with, and he wondered as he waved the arriving doctors over, what interest the secret police had in that girl.

*********

When Cami arrived at the bottom of the stairs she was alone but remembered what the man and the woman had told her what she had to do. With fixed purpose she opened a heavy door, securing it behind her then trotted along a poorly lit corridor, through several twists, turns, cross corridors and doors but always staying in the main passageway. Cami stared wildly around as her panic subsided and she caught her breath, who were those people? She wondered, as another thought came to her. Were they with the men who tried to kill me? The panic rose in her again and she started to hyperventilate even as she opened the latest of several doors which she secured afterwards. Never, not once did she look back.

Leaning up against the door, Cami stopped for a brief fraction. Catching her breath, she calmed down and tried to remember what the woman and the man had said.

Keep to the main passageway, don’t take any side tunnels, she recalled. There are two major T intersections, take the first to the left, but ignore the second that comes in from the right otherwise you will go the wrong way. The man and the woman had assured her that she would find friends at the end but she would have to be careful and trust her instincts.

Look for an alcove where you will find food and water on you right after the second intersection, Cami remembered, that the man had said and then he had finished, when you have eaten, you can take the stair which will be through the door to the left. You will find friends there. Listen for Flora, now go, he urged her. Through the metal door at the bottom of the stairs she had gone. The sound of the door locking behind her had seemed to be the voice of doom announcing the end of part of her life.

*********

At the scene of the murderous rampage, chaos still reigned. Dark gen Wattar bent over the bodies confirming the identity of each of the Dressiler’s to the senior patrolman present, a senior sergeant. It was unnecessary due to the chips and bar-codes, but something he felt he had to do. Arriving at one of the bodies, he groaned again to see Lorena Makapet was one of the dead. Standing back up and staring at her, he knew what he had to do.

Waving his hand at the sergeant, he moved away and activated his comm, “Ardine Makapet,” was the prompt reply.

A pause, then “Madam Makapet, this is Dark gen Wattar. Do you remember me from when I interviewed you?”

The response came after a fraction of silence, “I do. Is there something you wish to tell me?”

Wattar paused again, “I am at the rains festival. I have very bad news, very bad news.”

There was the sound of sharp drawn in breath. “Is it Lorena?”

“Yes, your daughter, and the Dressiler’s. They were coming to the festival.” He stopped again.

“Are they all hurt?”

“They are all dead.” He said in a rush. Dark could not hide the anguish in his voice, “All except the young girl, Cami, and she has disappeared, I am going to try and find her.” He stopped, wondering why Ardine was acting so calmly.

“I see, go find her.” The comm went dead. Dark gen Wattar stared at his comm unit. Ardine sounded much too calm after receiving such news. It was almost as if she had anticipated the event. He shook his head and went to check on the building Cami had disappeared into. Before he could do much more than examine the entrance and determine the buildings use, he was interrupted.

“Sir, this one survived, where do we send him?” A patrolman called. Dark gen Wattar walked back across the street to him, and stared at the still groggy killer.

With a jerk of his head, the Gray told the patrolmen to take him away. Calling the Senior Sergeant to him, he gave instructions as to what to do with the gunman.

“Call Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto. He is to take over the interrogation of the prisoner right now. This will set the planet on fire if not handled properly.” He turned his back on the rough handling the gunman was getting.

“Sir, over here!” Another patrolman summoned Dark.

The Gray walked over. “What is it?”

“This woman, her identification shows that she is Nikie di Frim!” He showed the reading on the scanner which also contained the brief details of her previous activities. “That man there, the only survivor, shot her at close range.” He stood, putting his comm unit away. “No loyalty! I guess honour amongst killers isn’t what it used to be.”

“Secure everything around her! Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto will want it.”

He gave a dispassionate look at the lifeless body of Nikie di Frim, turned on his heel and left, heading back to the building that Cami had vanished into.

*********

At patrol headquarters, Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto, Inspector Evit ra Docci and Detective Jan ot Reppa sat glued to the live feed. Once aware of what was going on, they had their technicians send the recorded feed from the surveillance cameras directly to their offices. They weren’t alone, throughout the building other patrolmen were doing the same. Stunned at first by the carnage, the brutality and the ferocity of the attack, they began to shake off the surprise and study the actions of the gunmen. Reviewing the feed, they paid close attention to the action.

“Look at that,” Docci pointed out, “he took a hiding place between the two transporters. That shows training or he is very …what! He just took a shot at that girl and in the back!” All three officers jumped to their feet.

Ptocto snarled in rage, “I want whoever trained these animals. Whoever backed them and funded them!” A knock on the door interrupted them. “What is it?” he growled.

A nervous young patrolman stood there, mouth working. “I just got a comm, it was from the Senior Sergeant in charge. There is a member of the secret police there, and he told them to take the surviving gunman here and hand him to you.”

They looked at each other and smiled. Trust Dark gen Wattar to be on top of everything.

Calmly, but with an undertone of eagerness, Ptocto asked. “Time of arrival?”

“Under half a period sir.”

“Good. And the secret policeman?”

“I don’t know, sir.”

“Not important. Go to the senior sergeant in charge. Tell him what is happening and get an arrival squad ready. Inspector Docci!” Ptocto turned to his top man.

“Sir?” the lanky patrolman asked as he put his jacket and hat on.

“You’re in charge! Get down there! We can’t do anything about what happened up to now, but we need the propis here in one piece so that we can ring him dry.”

“Yes, sir. I understand, but if you need to turn your head sometime …” the rest went unsaid.

“Good, now leave!” Docci hurried out.

Ptocto turned to his assistant, and mused, “I wonder what Dark was doing down there?” He shrugged and continued, “Have there been any reports of who was killed yet?”

Jan ot Reppa was silent and still, staring at his comm. Slowly, he raised he head to his chief, “Two groups it seems, though the main target was the Dressiler’s.”

“No!” Ptocto, sat back abruptly in his chair and covered his face for a fraction. Then, he quietly enquired, “Which ones?”

“All of them, I think.” This brought another groan from Ptocto. The next piece of information made him feel even worse, “A Lorena Makapet was there as well. She is dead too.”

“Oh, all the gods!” Considering that Ptocto had been told by Dark gen Wattar who and what her mother and aunt were, he was sure that there was going to be a lot more trouble.

“A young girl, Cami sis Nep, the Dressilers held her contract, she was seen alive running into a building alive, but has disappeared.” Jan tapped his comm again. “The Secret Police are trying to find her and have issued a recovery notice on her. If you remember sir, I think she was the one we saw who was running when that last gunman tried to shoot her in the back.” He said with raised eyebrows.

Ptocto had a shocked look on his face, but brought himself quickly under control. Giving a mental, and physical, shrug, he put it out of his mind. “That’s not our problem, let’s get ready, bring the rest of the team in.” Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto got down to business.

Tapping at his comm, Jan was just leaving when he suddenly stopped. Ptocto’s head came up. Turning, Jan looked at his chief. “Now this is interesting. One of the dead is someone we know.” He paused for effect. Ptocto waited. “Remember Nikie di Frim?”

Ptocto’s breath hissed out. “Well, well, well. That is of interest!”

*********

At last, Camis thought to her relief, she had reached the part of the long service tunnel that the man had told her about and now stood in a small room. It was really just an alcove, across from a set of stairs going up, she had checked on that. There was a table, a couple of chairs, a set of cupboards and a sink.

I wonder if I could rest now, Cami thought, and is there really something to eat or drink?

Searching the cupboard, she found water, bread and a jam she could use as a spread. Checking the rest of the alcove, she retrieved a knife and some clean rags. Sitting down she ate, taking some time from habit and using some of the water to wash her face and hands. Looking around, she saw nothing other than the rags to clean up after herself so she packed everything back in the cupboard as neatly as possible and sat back to consider her position.

She did not consider what was going to happen to her now that the Dressilers were all dead, that was just too painful for now. No that would come later. Cami knew that she had to deal with the now, the present. If I try to stay here, someone I do not want to find me will come and I have to find this Flora, she thought in a somewhat convoluted fashion. So I should keep moving, there are those stairs across the tunnel that lead somewhere they said. Looking around she stood, walked to the door that she had checked, opened it then slowly moved to the stairs now revealed. Taking a deep breath, Cami took the first step up, then stopped. Going back to the eating area, she looked at the knife again. It was a short but wide bladed weapon, about eleven centis long and two and half wide. I might need this, she thought and attached its scabbard to the belt around her waist, pushing it somewhat towards her back and covering it with the jacket she had worn under her great coat.

Back at the stairs, she took another breath and started on her way up.

 

0