Chapter Eighteen. A Knife Strikes.
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Following the traces that Cami had left behind her in the tunnels forming the substructure that provided vital water, plumbing, electrical and communication services and all other ones for the city, Dark gen Wattar considered his position At least I am not wading through the sewers, the thought amused him. Coming to a locked door, he checked the automatic recorder. Yes, she came this way! He smiled as he checked the position on his map of the location of the door. The smile faded as he confirmed his suspicion of the direction that Cami was heading. Not Nether West! The possibilities tumbled through his mind as he opened the door with his specialised comm; there were few places he could not enter; and went through. No one was with him, he had the distinct feeling that he should do this alone, and felt that there was one compensation, at least I don’t have to caution anyone to be quiet.

A long corridor or tunnel stretched in front of him. As he walked, he wondered about the direction Cami was going. Why would she want to go to the underclass? He thought, maybe it’s the two people travelling with her. Wattar noted that it had taken him hours to come this far and he was already tired.

The tunnel ran straight for a long distance. Smaller tunnels ran off to the left or right but the Gray didn’t stop to check any, he felt certain that he was following the path taken by Cami and her two companions. He knew that he was right when he got to the alcove across from the stairs, it was completely clear of any evidence that people had eaten there. Indeed it was so clean it was obvious that someone had been here recently and had gone to a lot of trouble to remove any evidence of their presence. Too much trouble, a worker would not have been so careful. Dark allowed himself a rare smile, as he turned to the stairs and started on the way up.

*********

Chief Councillor, Leja Leves strode out of his office on his way back to his apartment even though it was only the sixteenth period. Not completely satisfied with the day, he had expected more visitors but most had just commed him, but while that was annoying but he didn’t want to push the issue right now. I must bide my time, he thought, let them see my pleasant side, but once I get the people I need into the places I need them, then we’ll see. The thought was enough to relax him for his ride home.

*********

The employee who drove Leves was happy for the quiet ride, he usually experienced impatience at least.

*********

In his office Trem de Marcus was going over the contents of the content of the package that his past mistress had sent to him. With him was the Chief of Police, the Head of the Secret Police as well as Chief Inspector Nic ra Ptocto.

After a fractions silence, Ptocto raised his eyes from his comm and surveyed the others present. “This is very interesting,” he said, “but it will need verification.”

“What do you need?” The Chief of Police asked.

“Just a couple of my men and a man we can trust from Justice, an Accuser that is honest and can verify the facts.”

“I know one,” the Head of the Secret Police put in, “one we have used in the past for sensitive issues. How soon do you need him?”

“Right now, there are only two facts that I need to establish and we’ll have enough to haul Leves before a Master Judge.” The Chief Inspector didn’t smile although Marcus could see that he was almost quivering with excitement. Rarely did a policeman get a chance to net such a large prey.

“Make the arrangements,” Marcus ordered, “I want to see this murderous plot finished and its perpetrators in jail. All of them!”

“It will be my pleasure.” Chief Inspector Ptocto replied as he left, tapping on his comm.

*********

Marcus received the call three periods later. An examination of Li Glwen’s work station showed nothing remotely suspicious except for several flash drives. Not suspicious in themselves, many still used them but questions were raised because of their use in place of the normal crystal chips.

A quick check of the contents showed that two of these were used but had been erased. This again was not unusual but when the documents were restored by a specialist, the contents were revealed to be government information that had been leaked.

“I don’t have the full files yet sir,” the artificial intelligence specialist said, “but I will have in a couple of periods”

“Good, let me know when you do.” Ptocto looked at the patrolman who looked in the office. This officer had searched for a forgotten computer terminal in a sealed office. Part of the information passed to Markus had mentioned this terminal.

“It’s confirmed sir,” the officer said, “the genes match is confirmed, and files restored.”

“And who is the winner?” Ptocto asked softly.

“Li Glwen, sir,” the patrolman didn’t smile, “she has been all over the computer. The AI spec’ says she even used it to send a file!”

“She is dead so can we tie any of this to Chief Councillor, Leja Leves?”

“I think so sir, the Accuser wants to talk to you.”

“Good, where is he?”

“In the secretary’s office.”

A rather short and rotund man was standing and looking at the flash drives on Li Glwen’s desk when the Chief Inspector walked in.

“Well?”

“We have a case to take before a Master Judge.” The Accuser gave a cold smile.

Ptocto did not show the relief he felt, he needed the proof of the connection first. “Explain,” he asked.

“Simple really.” the Accuser replied. “First the specialists found fragments of skin cells of both Li Glwen and Leja Leves on both the flash drives and the terminal.”

“This will hold up in court? Remember we have to go before a master judge and then, if we get approval, The Scrutineers. They will be reluctant to act against a minister unless the case is strong.”

Twenty one Scrutineers are elected by vote of the High Status men and men of the Military and Science class. Their first responsibility is to approve or reject all legislation from the various ministers. They can also initiate bills and amend them. As well they review the rulings of the lower courts, either referred to them or any that they decide to review on their own initiative. In that capacity they are the only court that can hear cases brought against sitting ministers.

“What we have will get us a warrant.” The Accuser assured the Chief Inspector. “It’s old, seldom used but still valid for proof.”

“There is something else?” Ptocto prompted the Accuser.

“Indeed, Leves thumbprint.” A raised eyebrow now accompanied the Accusers cold smile. The chief inspector held a surge of emotion inside.

“Good, go with the team and tie it all up tight. I don’t want to give this one the slightest room to wriggle. Once we get him under a lie detector we will have him!” Ptocto turned away and then turned back. “How soon can we get before a Master Judge?”

“It won’t be before tomorrow at the earliest.” The Accuser replied. “As you said, it has to be tight, no doubt at all.”

The Chief Inspector nodded, he understood that putting a case like this together took time, but still he worried, if Leves learned about this, there was no telling what he would do. Ptocto knew that he needed a diversion, but from where? Absently he picked up his comm as it beeped.

“Yes, Ptocto here.” At the reply, his heart leaped.

“Dark gen Wattar here, I have news, some good and some not so good.” He explained. Next was a call from Trem de Marcus, Ptocto had his diversion.

*********

At his home Chief Councillor Leja Leves had received a call, a legion task force had arrived. “What do they want?” he demanded.

“No communication received yet sir.” Did not satisfy him. “Do you want to send an inquiry sir?”

“No, let them call us,” Leves said after a fractions thought. That’ll show them who is important, came the thought.

“Yes sir.” The communication ended.

*********

The fight had been bloody, but brief. Ilari had taken the precaution of telling Edek to gather as many as possible of his own men and getting them into position at the hideout they were heading to. Edek had managed to contact fifteen men and women, arm them with what weapons that he could find and position them in the building beside the hide out. He had also placed another half dozen followers in the hide out but they were instructed only to engage if absolutely necessary.

*********

As Ilari lead his men forward, Signy waved at Cami, “Follow me!” she yelled and pointed at the building she that was her goal. Cami stared around as she started to run towards the otherwise unremarkable building. Splashing through the puddles Cami quickly caught up with Signy, thankful that the rain had now stopped.   

“What now?’ She stammered, eyes huge as she took in the melee forming around her.

While Ilari had blocked the four in front of them with his three and the four behind them had moved to block the other six attackers, they were temporally out numbered. By bad timing the attackers behind them were too far back and, although coming fast, were out of position to intervene while the help gathered by Edek was close to hand.

“Follow me!” Signy urgently repeated, dodging over to the right, closer to the buildings on that side. “Stay behind me,” kept Cami close. Looking around, Cami saw that a club wielding attacker had broken past the defenders and was rushing Signy and her. Without thinking, Cami scooped up a smallish piece of masonry and threw it, as hard as she could.

Clearly this thug did not expect Cami to defend herself, she was supposed to be a timid high class girl after all and, surprised, he forgot to duck. The stone hit him in the face, stunning him momentarily and he dropped his club. One of Edeks men saw this and grinning finished the man of with a swing of his club. Picking up the now discarded weapon, he tossed it to Cami and Signy, “Try this!” he laughed.

“Will do!” Signy called as she plucked the club out of the air and waved it about. Cami laughed as well.

The man looked away then suddenly turned back, pointed and yelled, “Look out!”

Instinctively Cami turned and looked in the same direction. A man was there, an oddly blank look on his face and a short bladed knife in his hand.

Cami jerked back but the man was too close and she gasped as the knife sank into her lower abdomen.

*********

Signy swung around in horror at the urgent warning. Swinging her club over Camis bent over body, letting loose a sulfurous curse at the same time, striking the man in the temple. The man dropped as if he was boneless.

“Ilari,” she screamed, “Camis down!”

*********

Cami had sunk to the ground, hands clasped to her lower body. She felt as if she had been punched in the gut. Strangely, she didn’t feel in pain, just a bit lightheaded and wondering why she felt so weak.

Pulling her left hand away, she stared in wonder at the blood at the blood that covered it.

“I’m hurt.” She said in wonder.

“You’ll be fine.” Signy knelt beside her, pulling out a folded pad of linen that she pressed into service as a pressure pad. Moving Camis hands she pushed it against the wound and held it tightly in place, then she took some more linen and wrapped it tightly around Cami, looking up at Ilari at the same time.

“What do we do?” Signy asked in a horse whisper. At the same time Signy moved Camis hands to hold the pad, even as she circled her arms around Cami.

*********

Swearing under his breath, Ilari looked down at the wounded girl. Joined by Edek they looked around. All the attackers had left, their work apparently done, those who were still standing that is. There were a couple laying on the ground, including the one that Cami had thrown a stone at.

Going over to the man who stabbed Cami, Edek gave the comatose man a kick in the ribs. “That one, the one that stabbed Cami, he was supposed to be one of us.” He kicked him again.

“Leave him,” Ilari said. “If he lives, we’ll talk to him later.”

“We have no one with proper medical training.” Signy interjected, “We have to get help now!” The crowd stood around uncertainly, normally the underclass took care of their own. Ilari stood there, uncharacteristically at a loss about what he should do.

“She’s bleeding to death,” Signy said urging Ilari to action, “Do something!”

Slowly Ilari reached and pulled out his comm, Signy’s right, he thought, this once I have to call. As he reached to activate the device, a hand stopped him. He turned and stared at the darkly cloaked man who seemed to have materialised amongst his men An icicle of fear tickled his back and raised his hair as he realised who had arrived. The two woman who also had appeared were no less terrifying in their uncommon beauty.

One was crowned with a gorgeous mop of red hair and wore an equally bright red dress, scandalously short to the onlookers’ eyes, black knee high boots completed her outfit. The second woman was equally strangely dressed. While the tan pants might have passed comment, the sandals and the rest of her clothes certainly didn’t. Her light coloured blouse was complemented by a sleeveless vest, left unbuttoned. Wavy light brown hair framed her pixyish face and, to highlight the differences, neither of the women nor the man wore a hat or any kind of head covering.

Glancing around, Ilari saw that all his men were staring at the apparition in front of them even the ones who were hurt, although he was relieved to see that no one was seriously injured. Some were reaching for weapons and Ilari waved his hands to stop them.

Fear tickled their spines and raised goosebumps on their ski as all of Ilari’s men realised that the Dark Lord, accompanied by two of the Ladies of The Circle had appeared in their midst. That included both Cami and Signy.

*********

With calm, sure movements, The Dark Lord removed His cloak and passed it to the lady with brown hair. Without speaking He stepped over to Cami. Signy gasped at his approach and started to pull backwards.

“Be still, Signy ne Optau,” The Dark Lord said with a smile, “you have no reason to be afraid. Either of you.” The young woman’s eyes widened even more than they were as the knowledge that the Dark Lord knew her name sank in.

What is he going to do? Cami wondered as the Dark Lord knelt beside her and she opened her mouth to speak. A finger touched her lips and the Dark Lord met her gaze, holding her eyes with his. Shush was all he said.

The hand moved to the wound and He laid his hand on top of hers. As warmth flooded her torso, Cami took a deep breath. The hand withdrew and the Dark Lord stood. When Cami went to move, a word from the Dark Lord stopped her. She watched as the darkly dressed man turned to the two Ladies.

“Sydney, take Cami to the palace please, all is prepared for her there, I believe.”

How could she do that? Cami wondered to herself, the palace is, I don’t know, far away, the other end of the empire? She laid back, Signy’s arms still wrapped around her reassured her.

“On it.” The red headed Lady gave a wide, charismatic smile and ignored the gasps extracted from the knot of onlookers at the sound of her name, many of them had heard of her before, Cami included.

Before Cami realised it, Lady Sydney was at her side. “You can let go now,” she smiled at Signy. The young woman’s arm slowly unwrapped from around Cami, then crouching down, Lady Sydney took Cami in her arms and smoothly stood. “Coming?” She called to the Dark Lord and the other Lady.

“We’ll catch up to you.” The other lady replied. She had moved closer Cami saw.

I seem to be floating in a cloud, Cami thought, I really don’t feel much at all. Glancing into Lady Sydneys face she saw that the Lady was concerned about her and realised that she was still being carried. For some reason, this angered her. “Put me down.” She demanded. With a quirk of her eyebrows Lady Sydney complied.

With “Don’t be long, you know how the Head Steward gets,” Thrown over her shoulder  Lady Sydney, now holding Camis arm, turned and walked with her through the door of the building closest to where they had been standing. Looking around Cami suddenly realised that she was now in the palace and that they were with two other Ladies and another woman standing in a beautifully appointed room.

“Oh,” Cami said as she collapsed back into Lady Sydney’s arms and burst into tears, the sudden release of the strain that she had been under was just too much for Cami to take and her natural planets stoicism failed at last.

*********

Back on Ti Lepus Ilari and Edek stood facing the Dark Lord and his companion. Behind them stood Signy and the rest of their supporters, their anger growing and a muttered chorus of complaints beginning to rise.

“Gentlemen,” The Dark Lord began then smiled, “and lady.” He nodded at Signy, still standing with the other Lady. Signy was surprised but nodded back. “You have done well but all that happened here was necessary/”

“Her getting stabbed, besides.” Signy didn’t quite snap however her anger was clear.

“The possibility was foreseen, but I had hopes that it could be avoided.” The Dark Lord sighed. “I came as quickly as I could.” He stepped closer and waved the small group in. “Please understand that I do not wish to interfere directly or indirectly in your internal affairs unless absolutely necessary, it seldom comes out well.” His companion nodded in agreement. “But I do need your help now. First, Cami is now beyond anyone’s reach, just say that if there are any questions asked about her.”

“You mean let them think that she is dead?” Ilari interrupted.

“Exactly,” the Dark Lord smiled and the rest of the onlookers exchanged startled looks. “You see, the new Chief Councillor must remain unaware that Cami lives, it will take a few days for her to completely heal. Only then will she be able to return to do what only she can do.”

“I know what you mean by not interfering,” Edek put in, “it would mean a bloodbath, our history shows that.” He stopped then continued. “But what can Cami do, she is just a fourteen year old girl?”

The Dark Lord nodded soberly in agreement. “I hear what you are saying Edek, but I think that you will be surprised. There is a wind for change blowing in the canyons of this planet and Cami will add her voice to that wind and blow it up into a mighty storm.” He smiled again. “I think that you all will be surprised at what a fourteen year old girl can do when she puts her mind to it.”

Skeptical looks passed backwards and forwards between the onlookers but none spoke up.

“What is vital for you to do is be silent on Camis survival. That is vital, as the surprise when she appears alive, will be all the more profound.”

The group still looked unconvinced. Then Signy stepped up to the front. Staring at the Dark Lord she asked the question that was on all their minds. “What will it do for us?”

“I make no promises but I have hopes for your future. On that I will say no more.”

The Dark Lords companion also stepped forward. “We must be careful on what we say and do, it would not be good to make promises we cannot keep. In any case ambassadors have arrived as you will soon learn and they will keep Chief Councillor Leves busy for a few days.”

“Is there anything that you want to know?” The Dark Lord asked after a fractions silence and the group had absorbed the Ladies comment. “There is a task force to escort those I have sent, but that is not your concern.”

In the silence that fell, Ilari suddenly became aware that, although it had started to rain again, they were all dry. The realisation sent a shiver down his spine as he understood that the Dark Lord was using his power to stop them from getting wet and that none of his followers had yet realised this, he decided to end this.

“We will do as you say, Lord, do you have further instructions for us?”

The Dark Lord nodded at the question, He knew what Ilari was thinking. “Only this, one you know is chasing Cami to find and protect her. He will find you instead. You may tell him the truth, although we have not properly met, he has guessed much about what has happened and you can trust him.”

Ilari gave a rare smile. “I know who you mean, sire. It will be done.” All his followers stared at both of them in confusion. The Lady just smiled.

“One other thing,” He gestured at the still unconscious attackers, “you may leave these to the patrol, they will only confirm what the enemy wants to know about Cami.” He gave a slight nod of his head. “I will leave all this in your hands, farewell Ilari ne Pator.” His followers were surprised at this parting which implied that it was unlikely that they would meet again.

“Farewell, my Lord.”

As the crowd watched in suspense, the Lady and the Dark Lord walked through the same door that Lady Sydney had taken Cami.

*********

With the Dark Lords departure, Ilari turned around to face his supporters, removing his beret and running his hands through his hair as he moved. Taking a deep breath, he spoke, “OK, you all saw it, they came and now they have gone. You know what to do and say, so keep shut about the girl and we’ll find out about the rest when it happens.” He realised also that the rain was starting to soak them.

“I don’t like it, why didn’t he yack more?” Signy complained. “And the girl shoulda stayed here, with her kind.”

“Dim’t see ya get chippy with Him,” Edek countered, “not much good there.” The last came with a rare smile and Signy glared back in reply.

“Look, Cami was made good right in our eyes. Would anyone want to get owly with someone who can do that?” Ilari pointed out. “And if she had stayed all of us woulda target for the patrol. She has the best protection now.” He looked around, “Now let’s get outta rain!”

“But he mighta said …” Another began.

Ilari stopped the talker. “What we don’t know, we can’t say,” He looked around and repeated, “Let’s get outa here.” The group started to break up and leave going their separate ways, some singly, others in groups of two or more. Satisfied that everyone would do as asked Ilari joined Edek and Signy as they returned to Flo and Ina.

“Flo no be happy.” Edek commented after a fraction.

“Can’t be helped, say what we gonna say.” Ilari said firmly. “She mad after, I take heat.” He ended with a shrug.

“You no tella?” Signy couldn’t hide her surprise.

“Too many know already, no more, we do as He told us.” Ilari finished firmly. They walked on in the slowly gathering rain, each wrapped in their own thoughts.

The unconscious ones they had left behind slowly stirred. Patrol floaters that had been warned with anonymous calls arrived in time to make some belated arrests but were unable to elicit any further information as those arrested were, as was expected in this district, uncooperative.

*********

Edek had been right, Flo was upset and told them all to leave. It was after leaving Flo’s place and while they were walking to an eatery, that Ilari heard his name softly spoken from behind. Slowly turning around, he saw just who he expected.

“I knew that you’ve had your eye on me.” He said.

“It was quicker than I figured.” Dark gen Wattar replied.

With a jerk of his head, Ilari indicated an eatery. “He said that you would collar me, let’s eat, I have som’it to tell you.”

The secret policeman keep an expressionless face as he followed Edek, Signy and Ilari to the eatery, but it was quite an effort. He wondered what he would hear.

*********

The task force comprising of four giant planetoids, along with numerous battleships and cruisers burst into the Ti Lepus system. They were not there to fight, but to protect the ambassadors sent by the Dark Lord in hopes that they would bring peace to the between Ti Lepus and the Empire.

The representatives of the Empire did not know that they were also there as a distraction, a decoy to prevent Leves from learning about the investigation into his crimes. When they did learn, they were not happy.

0