Chapter 3
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Saturday.

Today is Saturday.

Bobby woke up in bed and did not move. Bobby had no idea what to do on Saturdays. Amanda told him what is normal for people to do; like go out clubbing, see friends, get wasted. But bobby just preferred to wander the void within his mind.

Well, that was his plan until an envelope landed on his head. A little blue envelope popped out of thin air. Bob, dazed, opened it.

“Dear Bobby W. Johansson,

                After reviewing your application and your test scores, we were excited to accept you to A.D.A.M Magic University. However, after consulting with other colleagues from Florence Academia, we would like to schedule an appointment to determine the next steps.

                We were also very glad to hear about your advancements on spreading the magic of soul manifestation to the general and unaware public. There will be other people interested in your research present at the interview.

                The interview is scheduled for next week, on Saturday the 18th of May 2030 at 10:30 in the morning at Vita Reef, California in A.D.A.M Magic University’s Magicians’ Office 2117. We will see you there.

Yours sincerely,

The Dean of Academic Advising

David Iteru”

 

“What a short and concise letter…” Bobby muttered, as he put it down on his blanket. He tried to remember when he even applied to a magic school. Or whatever this is. It’s true he didn’t remember much of his past, nor does he want to, but this had to be a recent rejection, and he doesn’t remember applying to a school of magic.

“What to do, what to do, what to do…” Bobby muttered to himself. It won’t affect his working hours so that is a relief. As for what he should do… he was at a loss. “Should I call Amanda?” He said, getting out of bed, trying to find his phone. It was sitting on the windowsill; a window peering into the city’s heart. Bobby stared at it as he soon noticed it was well pass noon and it was normal to eat now.

Bobby called Amanda. It was difficult to hear what she was saying, she was drowned in background noise, but she said to meet him for dinner that evening in the same restaurant, “Flamme des Chefs.”

Later that evening, Bobby stood in front a set of glass doors, etched with dazzling stars within the gold-rimmed doors. Bobby continued staring, until Amanda pulled him back onto earth.

“Bobby? Bobby? Bobby?” Amanda kept on repeating ‘Bobby,’ as she waved her hands in front of his face.

“Sorry,” Bobby said looking at Amanda. She was wearing a dark green short maxi dress, with pinned Irises aligning her collarbone. Foxgloves dangling off the dress, waving above her natural fabricated high heels. “You look stunning tonight,” Bobby said raising his eyebrows.

“Yeah, I just got back from a fairy theme meeting. My outfit is very tame compared to others,” she said smiling. “Thanks for the compliment. But, yeah, what were you staring at?”

Bobby turned his head, facing the glass doors. They were plain now. “I was staring at the front doors. They had stars trapped in the glass.”

Amanda turned her head toward the doors also. “They must have been gorgeous,” she murmured, imaging it herself. “Well, no point dreaming about ‘what ifs.’” Amanda said, climbing the stairs and into the wide open doors.

Bobby followed her. She waved to a waiter as she sat at a table with a window facing the city’s streets. Bobby knew the menu by heart, he was a waiter here before, apparently. “A salad with duck fat, please.” Bobby said, “and fries for her. And two cokes.”

The waiter nodded and wrote it in his notepad and rushed off. He left before either of them could thank them. “Busy night,” Amanda said looking around. The restaurant was packed like sardines in a can.

Bobby couldn’t be bothered. He closed the window shades as a couple started having sex on the street. Or maybe it was rape. Bobby prayed to God as he drew a cross on his chest. Only God can know anything in this city.

Amanda sighed, “But, yeah, what’s up? Are you alright? You never called for an appointment on Saturdays,” she said, leaning back in the chair.

Bobby paused. He didn’t think this far. Well, then again, who would? “Just read this,” Bobby said, passing the little blue envelop to Amanda.

Amanda sighed. She was way too tired to deal with this right now. “I’m going to google this address, first and foremost,” she said pulling out her phone. “When people get sketchy letters, they usually overreact, but it’s always better to google things and see if it is a scam.” Amanda leaned forward as she shoved her phone in Bobby’s face, “the reef doesn’t exist, and nothing is showing up for Adam’s magic University.” She then pulled back her hand and gave back the letter. “So, you know well that this is fake and nothing more than a product of your imagination,” she said staring deadest into Bobby’s eyes.

“But I didn’t relapse for such a long time…” Bobby said, just noticing the food in front of him. He touched the bowl and felt how frail it was. “And no symptoms too.”

Amanda was silently chewing on her fries. Bobby picked up a piece of duck fat and let it slowly melt in his mouth.

Amanda finished her fries, waived a waiter over and ordered the flambe ribs. “Bobby, if this doesn’t interfere with your work, you’ll be fine. But what do you want to do now? Do you want to go to this Vita Reef place?”    

Bobby was still silent.

“Bobby, you are an adult, you oversee your own life, and you own responsibilities. As a friend, I would advise you don’t to go. It’s clearly a scam.” She said drinking the coke. “As your shrink, I don’t advise it either. Acting out fantasies are dangerous for mentally sick person.” She placed down the coke, “But as a human, I can only ask, ‘What do you want to do?’”

‘I don’t fucking know. I don’t fucking know shit anymore, what else do you want to hear? I’m asking for advice for a reason.’ Bobby wanted to scream on top of his lungs. Instead, he pushed away the bowl as he placed his arms on the table and nested his head.   

“Bobby, its not as bad as you think- either you go or don’t. Neither of them will cause harm to you.”

“But I am relapsing…” his voice was inaudible, but Amanda could guess at this point.

“Bobby, look at me,” Amanda said, lightly shaking him. “Normal people look at the people they are talking too.”

Bobby instantly perked up. There was an inch between his face and Amanda's.

“Yes, you are relapsing. But does it really fucking matter if you are? Everyone has a problem, and yours happens to be more serious than others. Either you kill it, or it kills you. What will you choose?”

“Alright,” Bobby said. “Can you move your face away?”

Amanda sat back down and sighed. “Good. And what is the next step?”

 “I’ll go,” he said eyeing the salad. He really hated salad.

Amanda nodded, “Good, now you want to continue eating or bill and bail?”

They continued eating and Bobby got home safely that night.

0