Chapter 5
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ignoring the passing people and the rich scent of herbs and fat, Bobby sat in the center of Flamme des Chefs, it was impossible to process everything that happened.

His ‘adventure’ was real. The academy he didn’t remember applying to was real.

Oh, and magic was real, whatever that is worth.

Or maybe it was his mental issues that caused this mess?

Bobby was just baffled, ‘where do I even start?’ he thought. 'How do I even explain this to Amanda?' He stared at the salad and the fries sitting opposite him. He checked his phone, and realized Amanda had read his text, but didn’t respond. He plucked a piece of duck fat from the salad and let it melt in his mouth, coating his mouth this its gamey taste.

Before Bobby knew it, Amanda sat in front of Bobby, staring at him.  

“Are you okay?” Bobby asked, raising his eyebrow.

“Yes, I am fine, thanks for asking,” she said followed by a sigh. “I’m tired from talking to colleagues and all the events,” she said devouring her fries. “But, yeah, how was your day? What happened in the end?”

“I don’t know…” Bobby said with a dead straight face.

“Well, that’s a start,” Amanda responded. “One of my colleagues pointed out that people with PTSD also forget things that just happened. Like forgetting something that happened moments ago. So, it could explain how you made that letter.”

“No,” Bobby shook his head. “The letter is real, and I met Dave, who signed at the bottom of the letter.”

Amanda looked concerned. She pulled out her purse, “I knew it,” and pulled out a slim box with a small black ball on it. She took a clean napkin and wrote something on it. She took the box, yanked the bottom off, and stamped the napkin. “I’ll walk you over to the nearest pharmacy tonight.” She placed the napkin next to Bobby’s salad. “I don’t hate you for what you told Boss,” she said putting her stamp back. “It was just a coincidence that you started having episodes now.”

Bobby was shocked. He took the napkin in hand and stared at it. “No Amanda,” he said staring at the napkin. “Magic is real, nothing I experienced was some mental illusion.” He turned his head, as he placed the napkin on the table. “I felt things when I went there, it was real.”

The table was overtaken by a stifling silence, barricading all outer influences.

“If you still see that academy or whatever,” Amanda finally spoke, but was soon silenced. She closed her eyes. “I’ll… No, let’s start from here.” She opened her eyes, “Bobby, Boss found you wandering the streets at 16, you took programming in two years, and you have some sort of talent for it.” She leaned forward, resting her arms over the fries. “You have been working for him for two years and solved some of his IT issues.” She saw Bobby cringing- she knew Bobby hated his past, but she had to say it. “You are currently 21 years old, and normally, most people would be in college or something like that. But you never went to an in-person school, unlike a normal person.”  

Bobby stopped cringing and put two and two together. “So, you think that this was made by my mind in order to be normal?”

“Well, yes, but actually no.” Amanda responded. “That is true, but more than that you should enhance this scenario. You should have good memories from elementary and high school. And have some wild nights in college.” Amanda said, pulling her chair towards her. “It’s the basis of our humanity. Humans live, love, laugh and cry, die, and say goodbyes. But you have none of that, only a blank slate.”

Bobby wanted to cry, but men don’t cry, let alone cry in public. He started to shiver. He knew the first 12 years of his life- and he didn’t want to acknowledge them. So, he just stared at her, waiting for her to finish this mess of a meal. Where is the waiter when you need one?

“So, if you still see the academy, go and enjoy. The best part of having a blank slate is that anything could be written on it. Just know that you are insane, and everything you do is insane.” Amanda continued to stare directly at Bobby, who was no longer quivering. She sighed, “but I’ll guide you through this hellhole. It’s called ‘life.’”

“Thank you,” Bobby whimpered.

Amanda smiled, “its what I am here for. Now,” Amanda said turning her head, “Where’s the waiter when you need one?”

Bobby came home safely that night with pills from the pharmacy.  

Originally, I wanted to start the academy life this chapter, but this chapter wrote itself under an hour, and I thought it was too good to subdue it for the "plot" Happy reading adventures!

0