Chapter 6
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“And Amanda will give you the credit card tonight,” a gruff voice was overlapped with rustling clothes. Bobby never thought about a credit card, or any financial obligation. Bobby only noticed the value of money after Boss told him Amanda was embezzling money from his paycheck. He never noticed how much money was worth. Afterall, Bobby grew up in a commune.

Bobby continued packing his suitcase. “As for social life on campus, discuss it with Amanda. Whatever you do, do not tell her about magic.” The line went silent. Bobby was still packing his clothes as the line went dead. He was still confused about what to bring. He only had clothes and bed sheets that he packed. And he already packed his whole closet. What more would he need? Detergent? Bobby sighed, thinking that Amanda would tell him to look it up online. ‘Would I need a laptop?’ Bobby wondered. It doesn’t really matter- although Bobby would be uncomfortable with it, it doesn’t mean he can’t do it; he’s a programmer, after all.

Bobby zipped up his suitcase. And looked around his two room Apartment. He didn’t live here for a long time, maybe a year or two at most. But he liked the private bedroom and bathroom. He paced between the kitchen and his bedroom. Back and forth, back and forth. Bobby had no idea why he was doing this, but he felt his heart race. And he hated it. He hated the sound of his beating heart. He just wants-

Bobby stopped pacing. “Breathe in,” he said before breathing in and holding it for four seconds, “and breathe out,” with a huff.

Bobby stared at the window and saw a meadow of yellow grass with a setting sun. “The colors have a nice contrast,” Bobby said.  He imagined the calm breeze sweeping over the grass, caressing his skin and his clothes flapping in the wind, as he further sunk into the illusion. He clothed his eyes, and opened them again, and saw the heart of the city. He saw people-like zombies roaming the streets, people on top of flames of different colors doing what he hopes to never do. With large trucks with open backs, doing all sorts of business. Bobby missed his city already. “Home sweet home,” he murmured.

He saw the setting sun in all its glory and nearly forgot that he didn’t eat or drink all day. He quickly found his way to Flamme des Chefs, waiting for Amanda. He couldn’t help but worry this would be the last time he would see Amanda. Go to a magic academy, but not tell his therapist, who will guide him in this magic academy, about magic? It seems impossible.  

“Bobby? Bobby?” Amanda kept on waving her hand in front of his face.

“Hhmm?” Bobby said, as Amanda gained his attention. “What’s up Amanda?”

“I should be asking you that,” she said with a smile, sitting down. “You didn’t even order the fries and salad. I just told the waiter; he was too scared to disturb you.”

Bobb turned his head to see the waiter walking into the kitchen, and soon noticed the empty restaurant. “A little bit odd,” he said, facing Amanda.

“Not so odd when you drool all over the place,” she smirked. “But, yeah, you are moving out. This is a big step?” She started looking through her purse only to pull out a piece of plastic. “And before I forget, here is the credit card.” She held out the credit card.

Bobby stared at it, having mixed emotions. “Amanda, don’t you feel guilty that you stole money from me, your patient?” He said, grabbing the credit card.

“I got used to stealing things, so no. I don’t feel guilty.” She said leaning back into her chair. “To be honest, Boss made a stupid mistake, and you were sixteen. And things escalated from there.” She said shaking her head.

“Sixteen…” Bobby said with wonder, forgetting to put away the credit card. “I barely have memories from when I was seventeen. Was I fully cognitive when I was sixteen?” ‘Between twelve and sixteen I don’t remember anything… Was I really wandering the streets for four years?’

“No, you were not ‘fully’ cognitive.” She said with hand gestures. “You were still some sort of feral beast, much different from the ordinary people on the streets.” She said with a grin. “I remember one time you threaten me to become a sacrifice to a god for a lollipop.” She chuckled, “But, yeah, those were some wild times.”

“I’m sorry I put you through so much,” Bobby said, wiping away the beads of sweat forming on his forehead. ‘God dam, where is the waiter? its not even a busy day.’

“Its nothing,” she said admiring the empty restaurant. “It’s just my job. A job to live in the city.”

As the silence crept around them, Bobby noticed he was not ready for any of this. What does he need for college? The only college Bobby went to was for programming, and he didn’t hear his professor’s voice once. “Hey Amanda,” he said, trying to ignore the fact she was stuffing her face with fries. “How do I prepare for college?”

“Well,” she said choking down her food. “Pen, paper, pencil, an eraser, laptop, textbooks, and finally, yourself.”  She said while cleaning her greasy fingers. “To be honest, if you’re really smart, you just need yourself.” She stared deadpan at Bobby, “Boss was talking like it was an actual college or university or something and now these questions?”

“Well, how do I say this…” he said, looking down, seeing the salad in front of him, he plucked a piece of duck fat and let it coat his mouth. The sensation brought him back down to earth, a place of dirt, humans and lies. He opened his mouth, trying to say something, but nothing came out. His jaw stayed unhinged as he tried to think of any lie, anything, to say.

“Its fine if you don’t want to tell me, I can only assume things when it comes to Boss,” she said ignoring Bobby’s blank face. “I’d like to assume that this is an actual college in an actual place, with actual people.” She sighed, closing her eyes, “Although, I can’t say I know of a college that starts in June. Even though we are both concealed things from each other, I can only hope you remember that I am getting paid to take care of you.” She opened her eyes with a chuckle, “Not many people have an on-call therapist,” she said with a smirk. “Let alone an on-call friend.”

Bobby turned his head, avoiding her gaze, as he waved down the waiter, who soon took their order and rushed off into the kitchen. “How do I buy things with a credit card?” Bobby asked, just thinking about the supply list Amanda listed off.

“Yeah, I figured you’d ask that.” She said, coming her hair with her fingers. “I can go shopping with you tonight and get you that list of supplies. And I can get you a high quality laptop tomorrow night.”

He turned his head, finally facing Amanda. “Thank you, that will be greatly appreciated.”

She smiled brightly, “Nothing a friend like me can’t do. Also, Bobby, just a piece of advice,” she said staring at Bobby. “Keep the current apartment, it can be a good zone to escape to. Its not like the landlord kicked you out today, right?” she said gazing at the stack of ribs placed before her.

I tried a new writing style, hope you like it. I definitely like it more than the old one. Enjoy your reading adventures!

0