Chapter 10
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Reading warning - Mentions of suicide

Bobby tapped his fingers on the oak desk, staring at the computer screen. There was a long discussion displayed. He narrowed his eyes, a bit concerned about how fast this program was developing. Then again, programming and artificial intelligence is a rapidly developing field, barely understood nowadays. ‘But it is still too fast,’ Bobby thought. Day one of the project had a bug that took all day to fix, and on day two its finally working as planned. It’s possible, theoretically, but unrealistic. Incredibly unrealistic. His fingers continue to tap on the desk, quickly gaining a tempo. And stopped. He placed his hands on the keyboard and typed random letters. And finally, he got something he expected- no response. He was relieved to a certain extent. There was something to report to Boss. He texted Boss a picture of the discussion and closed the program. Boss told him to work on this in secret and that his paycheck will be sent a new account.

He leaned back into his wooden chair. Starting at the bottom right of the screen. 10:30 am 5/21/2030. He only had Meditation from 3 pm to 6 pm. Until June 10th and he would have alchemy in the morning also. His head turned to the orange-tinted bottle, sitting next to his laptop. It was generous of Boss to give him this laptop and get him into a college. A college for normal people doing normal things. Obviously on condition he takes his pills. But he had to take them with a meal. And Bobby did not remember the last time he ate lunch, or even when he ate alone. Bobby got up and took his wallet and pill bottle and started to head out. Only to notice that Yu Xiao did not return. Let alone unpack his things. His suitcase lay on top of his bed.

“Rich kid doing rich things,” Bobby said shrugging. He’ll probably never meet him again. And walked out of the dorm house, ignoring everyone and everything. The pamphlet did not have a map, and he got the directions from relying on signs. It said that the cafeteria was next to the library, but he did not find anything besides a large tower, piercing the sky. But it was a library.

“Maybe the cafeteria is inside?” Bobby murmured. “Odd building to place a cafeteria,” he said walking in. He walked into an overwhelming large interior. It had dark hardwood floors with large square pillars with intricate designs at the bottom. He looked up, but it was impossible to see the top of the pillar; it reached to the ceiling, or Bobby assumed so. It was hard to judge, as they vanished into infinity. Between each pillar was an equally large bookshelves, stuffed with books and books, reaching to infinity and beyond. He walked down the main path, with his mouth open. Even in the city, with its prided skyscrapers, there was nothing so magnificent.

He continued to marvel at the so called library until he bumped into someone. The stranger looked up from his book. Xiao Yu hissed at him and closed his book as he walked pass Bobby.

“Sorry,” Bobby said, judging Xiao Yu, “brat.” He walked up to the library counter, waiting for the girl to look up from her piles and piles of paper. And he waited. And then he coughed, getting her attention.

“Hi, how can I help you?” she said, looking up. She readjusted her round glasses.

“Where is the cafeteria? It should be around here.” Bobby said, looking around. He only saw pillars upon pillars upon more pillars.

“Um… well we don’t actually allow food in here. There are potions and stuff here,” she said, as she leaned her head on her hand. “You mean the other library where there are computers and textbooks. There is a café next to it, but its across campus.”

“How do I get there?” Bobby asked, already bored. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw flying books, bashing into one another.

“Well, its actually closed,” she said drawing out the last syllable. “It will open when the other classes start.”  

“Great. How do I get food?” He asked, resisting the urge to dodge a book flying right at him. It passed through him.

“I don’t know. I only eat ramen bricks.” She looked into his eyes, and only then did Boby notice the purple-black bags under her eyes.

Bobby groaned. There was no way that they were letting people live on campus but didn’t have food available. He could go back into the city, but he was not entirely sure how he got back, let alone how he left the campus. He turned to leave the library, letting the girl burrow into her papers and books once more. He continued to wander the campus, hoping to stumble wherever the food was. Only to find himself once again in the city.

The city boomed to life before Bobby even noticed anything. He walked down the street, taking the occasional turn, until he found himself in front of Flammes des Chef. Which was closed. He groaned, of course it was how did he not remember? He found a grocery store and just took a can of tuna and a loaf of bread. And walked to his apartment. He’d rather not see Yu Xiao right now. He ate his ‘tuna sandwich’ in silence and then took out his pill bottle and opened it. It was a combination of both red and blue pills. Bobby looked at the note again, but Amanda didn’t specify the difference. So, Bobby took two red pills. It was weird. They disappeared as he placed them on his tongue. But he took his pills and that’s all that matters. He left, locking the door behind him, and went into the bustling city street.

He continued to wander the streets; it seemed the only way to enter and leave the campus. It’s extremely inconvenient but Bobby did have much of a choice. Eventually he did find his way back to campus and into his dorm room. H slumped down into his chair in front of his desk, staring at his screen. It was 1:30 pm. “A two hour journey…” Bobby sighed at how ridiculous it was. There definitely had to be a better way than this mess. Was he supposed to figure it out himself. “What a mess of an orientation,” Bobby sighed.

Bobby continued to stare at the computer screen and decided to text Amanda to meet tonight. But he stopped, slightly baffled at what happened last night. But he texted Amanda anyway.

Before he knew it, it was 2:15 and Bobby got up. Finding classes on campus, or anything, was unreasonably difficult. Bobby doubted he would even find the classroom on time.

But he found it, eventually. By asking a Professor Dave to transport him directly over. It was annoying. Bobby planned on asking Professor Dave about the whole mess of a campus tomorrow.   

But he found himself in a wide and empty classroom. Full of yoga mats and students who were staring at each other, confused where to put their things. Only then did Bobby notice he forgot everything he would need for class. But it didn’t seem to matter.

There was a woman who nodded as she saw more people fill the room. She looked down at her watch and said, “Alright, let’s wait a few more minutes for everyone.” She looked around the class, seeing confused people. “You don’t need to take notes for this class. Just put your things against the wall.” She looked down at her watch and stared at it for some time. She looked up, “Alright its now 3:05. I am Professor Hassan. I’m not actually Moroccan, but my husband is,” she said raising her hand high for everyone to see her monstrous engagement ring. “So just call me Jenny or Professor Jen or whatever you prefer.” She sat down on the yoga mat, “we are not doing yoga, but its nice to sit on for long periods of time.”

All the students were standing up, not entirely sure what to do. “Sit down on a yoga mat. There are more in the corner if there are not enough,” she said point to the back room corners. Everyone sat down on a yoga mat eventually. She nodded her head, “that’s good, now get comfortable and close your eyes. You won’t understand what you see, but in the time to come you’ll understand how crucial this step is.” Everyone in the class closed their eyes, but Bobby has hesitant. But little did he notice the creeping darkness that soon swallowed him. Bobby felt his eyes were closed, but he still saw.

He saw a young teenage boy bit into the stomach of a barely breathing victim, plundering its body for its blood and flesh. He heard that familiar snapping sound of breaking bones. The young boy continued to feast on the moaning body. Bobby just stood there as he couldn’t believe that was him. He knew that it was him. Because he felt the chewing of flesh and drinking of blood. He felt every gulp that body swallowed. He knew the joy that young Bobby felt as he took a bone with a chunk of flesh attached and licked it like a lollipop. He felt himself in that boy. Bobby’s breathing became heavy as he didn’t believe this was one of his memories from the four years he totally forgot about.

Soon young Bobby looked up from his divine dish staring at older Bobby. And he charged. Younge Bobby was complete unaware of what older Bobby felt or is. He jumped up, trying to tackle him. But he met air. As the older Bobby was gone.

Bobby couldn’t believe his eyes as he saw the darkness again. But his eyes were closed. He tried touching his eyes, but he couldn’t feel his hands. Before he knew it, he saw something again.

A wide field of dirt rows. Next to barren trees and other shrubs. People with smiles walked around without a care in the world. Small children were playing next to the mooing cows and flocks of sheep. But soon he saw a small house.  

He remembered this scene very well. He trembled and his body became incredibly heavy. It was difficult to move, let alone breath.

Or even to live.

He remembered this scene very well. Since he just buried his parents’ nonexistent bodies. But his grandfather did not help him at all. His grandfather never acknowledged the failure of human that was his son in law. Let alone the look alike failure.

This was the beginning of it all. He remembered standing there, never really understanding the fact his parents wouldn’t come back. And that they never can. If they even wanted to. He stood there. In front of the mounts of dirt. His tiny hands were still tired and strained from shoveling so long. And that’s when he noticed that he was back in his ten year old body. He raised his tiny fist. It was a miracle that he could do this. But then again, there is no such thing as miracles for the unfortunate.

Bobby stood there for what seemed like days until his tiny body dragged him back into the small rickety house. He knew what will happen next. He didn’t want to move. He did not even want anything. He just wanted to bury himself with his parents, just like he would sleep in their bed. But he knew he had a different role to play. But he didn’t want this role. Or any role.

Small hands opened the door with much effort. The house was silent. As usual. Nothing moved in sight. These were one of the few moments where his grandfather fell asleep. And Bobby could wander the house freely. He could even eat dinner. It wasn’t much; just potatoes. But it was still food. But Bobby was even more relieved he hadn’t met his grandfather. And yet, that didn’t last much longer as he heard someone call his name behind him. He turned around, completely confused as to who would actually talk to him.

“Do you have time to hear about our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ?” a man in white robes said with a brilliant smile.

0