surprise
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a final sweep of the warehouse, Mitch informed everyone of the time and advised that they all hide behind the ring. According to Jodie’s most recent message, they’d just gotten off of Route 2, meaning they’d be arriving at any second. While waiting for everyone to get in place, he sent a text to Avi, then turned the lights off and stayed by the switches.

As if on cue, a loud conversation between two people could be heard outside, accompanied by the sound of footsteps and crunching gravel. The noises faded as they moved further away towards the front of the building, then were drowned out by the door’s welcome chime.

“Hello? Anyone here?!” Victor’s voice boomed from all the way in the lobby, making a few of the students giggle. Others shushed in response, and Mitch, unable to do anything from his position, rolled his eyes and hoped that they’d get themselves under control.  

“Mitch was at the front desk earlier,” Jodie lied, and Mitch hit his forehead against the doorway; he’d forgotten to lock up. “Maybe he’s in the bathr-” she stopped in the middle of the sentence when the door chimed again, and her voice switched cadence, all high pitched and saccharine. “Aviii!”

Victor’s raspy voice parroted the tone, either genuine in his sentiment or teasing Jodie for her faux enthusiasm. Mitch could never tell, but their similar mannerisms delighted him to no end, especially when one goofed on the other. Apparently, it had the same effect on Avi, and his laughter echoed throughout the building. He began to greet them, but was cut off by Victor asking Jodie, “Isn’t he so handsome? I fell in love when I first saw him. Hired him for his looks, y’know.”

“Jesus Christ,” Jodie groaned.

“Language, Jojo. Abuela’d be disappointed.” Their voices drew closer, and Mitch’s fingers twitched as they hovered over the switch.

“For fuck’s sake, Dad,” she sniped back. “C’mon, we have weeks worth of stuff to plan out, since you decided to take a vacation.”

“Hey now, that was no vacation! That was all work! Avi can vouch for me, right?” Vision fully adjusted to the dark, Mitch made out Jodie’s form as she stepped through the doorway that lead into the training area. “Where is everyo-” Victor started say, but before he could finish, Mitch turned the lights on and the roster jumped out from behind the ring, unanimously shouting “SURPRISE!” 

0