7 – Stalking some Adventurers
269 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watch as the four orcs who are bleeding out are looking for their assailant hastily knowing they are slowly bleeding out. As for me, I’m crouching on a tree branch with a kunai in my hand ready to throw another if one spots me. This seems to be the best way to kill them since they seem to take forever to die.

It’s almost sunset and I want to head back. Once the last one drops dead I walk up and lop off their ears. I then watch as their corpses quickly rot and within twenty minutes are completely gone without a trace. This is seen more and more like a game.

I make my way back to the town and trade in the ears I’ve collected. I’ve gained quite the rep as a guy who comes in dressed in a cloak and with his face covered and then dumps a few dozen ears on the table every day.

It’s not that impressive. Is it? I should probably tail a group to see how they fight the monsters. I walk out as I hear random people whispering stuff like, ‘He must be strong or does he really do it alone.’

The next day after having a morning lesson with Sensei in which he gave me a good beating that no shower can replace as a substitute for invigorating oneself. For my expenses on earth, they were next to nil since I slept in my room in this world. It was only the occasional bit of food or trinkets which I had pawned of a gold coin for. Whenever I needed cash, I would just pawn a gold coin again. I had two on me plus a bunch of change from the massacre of goblins, kobolds, and orcs.

Today I would do something a bit different and tail a group of adventurers. They are a party of fourteen who split into two groups when hunting around the town. They seem pretty strong and have a mix of silver and steel ranks. I really need to do the ranking test so I can go higher than copper. It does cost an orichalcum coin though which for me is two hundred dollars in potential money.

Maybe later, I’m still practicing lately. I follow one group randomly as they split up and enter the forest. I watch as a group of goblins emerge from around a corner in the path. I guess it makes sense that they can’t sneak around in such a large group.

“Goblins.” I shout as I raise by kite shield to defend against the incoming monsters. The seven goblins charge straight at me. As the first one enters my range, I thrust my spear straight and true and it goes straight through the thing’s chest. I use it and my shield to keep resting back as an arrow fly from, Kalum in the back piercing straight through one’s head.

Galdur cuts one directly down the middle as it separates into two pieces vertically. I shield bash another as a second arrow impacts. I shield bash one as it tries to go to the side. Another tries and flanks them but is hit by an icicle which freezes the lower part of it stopping its movement from Mikael. A third arrow impacts another one as Galdur thrusts his great sword into the neck of the last one. I kicked the goblin off my spear and stabbed it into the one who was trying to pull the arrow out of its shoulder. I stabbed each one of the goblins again as Sierra slit the throat of the one that was frozen.

All in all, the battle took about twenty seconds. You can never be too careful when it comes to goblins. One bite and you can get infected and if you do not even a high priest can save you. I turned back to Mikael and asked. “How many of those can you shoot again?”

He just harrumphed and said in a dull voice. “Twenty-Seven more.” I then looked over to Sierra who was glaring at the surroundings with her usual gaze. I then asked. “Hey, kid. What’s wrong?” She just shrugged and said in a sharp tone. “I don’t know.”

I watched as they methodically made their way through goblins and kobolds. They weren’t as fast as me, but I knew I wouldn’t win if I fought them. They were made up of a dagger wielding rogue type girl, a greying spearman, a young swordsman, an ice mage of somekind, a ranger or archer who looked to be a male elf and a guy who was wearing priests’ robes in the middle.

They eventually found four orcs and seemed to tense up. I got their fear. It was pretty well founded. If I didn’t have my kunai, I wouldn’t go anywhere near them. The spearman Tensed up and blocked the axe of the orc which bounced off his shield. An arrow and an icicle impacted two of the orcs. The icicle hit the orc in the face, and it tried to claw its way out of the prison before suffocating.

The swordsman parried with one orc as the rogue distracted the fourth. The archer began to chant something quietly which I couldn’t hear from the hundred or so feet I was away. An orange glow engulfed his arrow as it shot forward. It then embedded itself in the orc that was chasing the rogue.

The rogue used distraction to plunge the knife into the neck of the orc. I knew how hard that was since my kunai had to be thrown with an absolute ton of force. It collapsed over as blood spurted out if it’s two wounds. The ice mage had fired another icicle, but it had impacted the ground behind the one fighting the swordsman.

I noticed a few goblins running underneath me towards the fight. Wait, was this why they found it so hard. Because, you would have reinforcements arrive. I threw three kunai and they impacted. I froze when I realized I had missed one. I tilted my head as I watched the kunai impact the ground inch past the goblins head. I jerked and tried to take cover but was killed by a second immediately.

I grinned when I realized that my ability was not fallible. It just made the chances of something happening extremely high. So, someone could still get lucky then. I remember Domino mentioning that her powers only affected her and even then, it only guaranteed she would survive something. It didn’t mean she wouldn’t be maimed or even go into a coma. And then you could easily die. It seemed it allowed me to do anything as long as there was a slight possibility and take that up to almost definitely going to happen.

I shook my head and jumped down to retrieve my kunai. After cutting off the ears I teleported back up onto the tree which took me about two minutes to climb originally. By the time I had warped back up they had dealt with the orcs. I saw the healer casting a spell on the side of the swordsman; it looked like he got side-kicked or something.

I heard footsteps from the opposite side of the clearing the part was in and noticed the rogue and ranger had also noticed.

9