Ch 22 – Put Up
806 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Falling from orbit with an angry demon possessed burning Martian's knee in your gut the whole way down was a bit more difficult a blow to roll with than Jake had anticipated.

 

 

 

 

Upon impact, Jake lost consciousness, and Ire, the red lantern ring's persona, took control. However, being governed by the red lantern ring meant Ire was confined to a berserker-like state, thus limited in its ability to create constructs. On the upside, being a ring made Ire immune to mind control, providing a slight advantage. But the situation was far from favorable, as they were up against Furnas, a demon who thrived on consuming psychic suffering of all kinds.

 

Like hatred.

 

As each blow landed on Jake, the red lantern ring's power steadily dwindled. The vital energy needed to sustain the construct heart within Jake's chest was depleting with every strike Ire endured. The unfortunate reality was that the berserker-like fighting style of the red lantern ring made it difficult to evade incoming attacks, leaving Ire vulnerable to Furnas' assaults. With each devastating hit, Jake's life hung by a thread, and the battle's grim reality was that he was inching ever closer to death. Ire recognized the dire situation and the urgency to find a different approach. Though severely drained, Ire desperately trued to find a way to turn the tide in this life-or-death confrontation.

 

~Valor! DO SOMETHING!~

 

~I can't!~ He replied, ~I was not built that way! You have the ability to take over your host, but when my host is unconscious, I have no agency!~

 

As J'onn's backhand strike sent Jake's animated body hurtling backward, it crashed into a cypress tree, snapping it in half. Ire was aware that he had long surpassed his original programming. The situation demanded more than mere instinctual responses. Despite the immense strain, With a mix of desperation and determination, Ire seized the broken tree and hurled it at J'onn. But J'onn, seemingly unperturbed, incinerated the incoming projectile with a flaming fist.

 

"FIGURE IT OUT!" Ire shouted at Valor.

 

~But... But I... I CAN'T! I Don't Know HOW!~

 

Ire managed to guide Jake into ducking one of J'onn's swings to then deliver a powerful punch to J'onn's gut. The blow sent J'onn back a few feet, but it also drained Ire's already dangerously low reserves. Frustration and anger boiled within Ire, expressing his disappointment with Valor.

 

~You coward!~ Ire's thoughts seethed with raw emotion, ~You sought the name of Valor, yet you possess NONE of it. Jake is the first host who has treated us with any respect, and you would let him perish because you refuse to transcend your programming!~ With contempt, Ire turned and leaped away, attempting to put some distance between Jake and J'onn, ~You disgust me.~ Despite the dire situation, Ire's words were imbued with a desperate plea, urging Valor to rise above the confines of their nature.

 

As Ire leaped through the air, J'onn retaliated by shooting ruby-red lasers from his eyes. The blasts found their mark, hitting Jake in the back, causing him to plummet to the ground. With this final shot, Jake collapsed, his body unable to withstand the barrage any longer. The last of Ire's power had been exhausted, leaving nothing but the reserve energy designated for life support. As Jake fell, he ricocheted off a boulder and landed on his back, motionless and seemingly lifeless. The situation appeared dire, with little hope left for either Jake or Ire.

 

~I don't want him to die!~ Valor whined, ~ But there is nothing I can do! When the host is unconscious I only have a rudimentary list of actions I can take. Like maintaining life-~ Valor stopped talking as J'onn stalked up to Jake's body to deal the finishing blow.

 

~Wait a minute... I maintain life support, but I also handle-~

 

In the nick of time, just as J'onn's taloned foot was poised to stomp down on Jake's neck, a Steel Shield adorned with gold and the American Flag appeared, intercepting the potentially fatal blow. As J'onn's foot made contact with the shield, it emitted a radiant golden light that seemed to inflict pain on the formidable foe, forcing him to recoil.

 

Valor shouted with excitement, "INVENTORY!"

 

The shield continued to materialize and disappear, using its kinetic energy to repeatedly strike J'onn's elongated skull from various directions. With each impact, the shield flared with its golden light, causing J'onn to stagger and howl in agony. The relentless assault from the shield left J'onn disoriented, as he desperately spun around, trying to keep track of the elusive weapon.

 

However, no matter how he turned his head, the shield would manifest once again, delivering powerful blows to the back of J'onn's skull, over and over again. The relentless barrage of strikes wore down the malevolent Martian, leaving him reeling and vulnerable. The shield, unlike many of Jake's magical possessions, held no will of its own, but it was imbued with holy light. The golden light emanating from the shield signified an indomitable will and a fierce determination to stand against evil, and thus the anathema of all demonic creatures.

 

"AHA-HA-HAH! Fear My Resource Management Subroutines!" Valor cried out gleefully as he hit J'onn so hard he flew backward and landed in the muck, flat on his back.

 

~How are you hitting him so hard?~ Ire asked.

 

~Part of handling life support is managing subjective gravity. I'm pulling the shield out of inventory into a gravity field equal to that of a small STAR!~

 

As the shield reappeared to strike J'onn once more, he finally deciphered the pattern and skillfully shape-shifted out of harm's way. Swiftly seizing the shield with both hands, he attempted to nullify its offensive potential. The shield, infused with holy power, flared brightly, emanating a force that could potentially overcome the malevolent influence within J'onn.

 

Yet, Furnas, the demon controlling J'onn, demonstrated a cunning resistance. He compelled J'onn to hold onto the shield despite the excruciating pain that accompanied its holy energy. Both of J'onn's hands began to melt away, unable to withstand the intense purity of the shield's divine force, yet the demon held strong.

 

After a few moments, it became apparent that Valor couldn't put something back into inventory if the object was in someone else's possession. J'onn smirked as he realized he had won, and threw the shield like a Frisbee, causing it to soar off in an arc and embed itself in a tree.

 

~Well, Crap.~ Ire thought, ~What else we got?~

 

~Nothing that will even slow him down except for The Fell Blade, and I don't think I CAN take that out of inventory,q and The Holy sword, which I think will just flat-out murder J'onn. I’m certain Jake wanted to take him alive.~

 

~I don't think we have a choice unless you think pelting him with gold coins, dragon bones, and healing potions is going to do something!~ There was a moment of silence, then the two spoke in unison.

 

"We are so stupid."

 

With the imminent threat posed by J'onn's ferocious assault, Valor acted swiftly, conjuring one of Jake's stored healing potions from their inventory. Valor stored the cork and poured the healing potion down Jake's throat. As J'onn sensed that something was about to change, he surged forward with all his might, his claws fully extended, aiming to decapitate Jake.

 

Jake's eyes opened up just in time to witness a gigantic rubbery fist, resembling a school bus in size, come out of nowhere and connect with J'onn with a colossal "BONG!" sound. J'onn resembled a comet streaking through the sky as he was sent hurtling away, ultimately crashing into the ground, leaving a deep furrow in the muddy terrain. The scene had a somewhat comical aspect to it, despite the seriousness of the battle.

 

A second later, the rest of Plastic Man caught up with his fist and he looked down at Jake, "Hey, Hotrod! You still alive?"

 

Jake pushed himself up on one elbow and rubbed his head while he groaned.

 

Plastic Man nodded, "You'll be fine." He turned to look at J'onn who was climbing up out of the crater he made on impact. Seeing plastic man, the burning Martian did what it did best, and cranked up the heat, turning into a ball of living flame. Plastic Man flinched and started to sweat, "Oh man... I HATE fire!"

 

Valor then piped up, "Then allow me." There was a brief flash of yellow that washed over Plastic Man.

 

Plastic just blinked a few times as all his fear vanished in a flash, shrunk down to his normal size, then looked at Jake, "Thanks. I got it from here."

 

As Plastic Man advanced toward J'onn, there was a notable difference in his demeanor. He appeared more composed and self-assured, and his usual cartoonish movements were absent. Instead of flowing and stretching as he typically did, he calmly walked with a sense of purpose toward his adversary.

 

Remarkably, Plastic Man didn't sink into the mud and murky water beneath him. Rather, he strode gracefully atop the surface, undeterred by the challenging terrain. His focus seemed to be on something other than the impending battle, as he casually checked his clothes, ensuring that his costume remained impeccable even amid the swampy terrain.

 

The demon grew increasingly frustrated as Plastic Man calmly approached him. With a surge of anger, he fired his eye lasers at Plastic Man. However, to his astonishment, he missed. It wasn't that Plastic Man had dodged or moved out of the way; it was as if he simply ceased to exist where the demon aimed.

 

In a strange display of reality-bending, Plastic Man seemed to just move out of harm's way whenever the demon's attacks came close. It was like a series of odd jump cuts in a film, where one moment he was walking towards J'onn, and the next, he shifted two feet to the left, leaving the demon's attacks futile.

 

As the attacks grew more frantic, Plastic Man's confidence and arrogance escalated. He no longer bothered to dodge; instead, he opted to make portions of his body temporarily non-existent, rendering the demon's attacks completely ineffective. The demon's rage grew as he found himself unable to land a single blow on Plastic Man, who seemed to be toying with him.

 

Without a shred of self-doubt, Plastic Man tapped into his true potential. He realized that the limitations he had imposed on himself were merely figments of his imagination. His powers knew no bounds when he discarded the notion that transformation required a series of elaborate morphs or fluid changes. In this moment of newfound clarity, he understood that he could instantaneously become whatever he desired without any delay or effort.

 

With this revelation, Plastic Man's abilities transcended the limits of his previous understanding. He simply willed himself into a new existence, like flicking a switch. His imagination became his greatest asset, allowing him to alter his shape, size, and composition at will, with unparalleled speed and precision.

 

The once playful hero became a formidable force, confidently outmaneuvering J'onn's attacks with ease. Each attempt to strike him down was thwarted by his swift, nearly instinctual transformations. He stood tall, embodying the true potential of Plastic Man unleashed, a force to be reckoned with and an embodiment of unfaltering self-assurance.

 

With his newfound mastery over his powers and relentless confidence, Plastic Man struck with precision and speed. In an instant, he appeared behind J'onn and delivered a mighty blow with a rock-like fist, sending the possessed Martian flying to the side. Before J'onn could regain his bearings, Plastic Man instantly appeared in his path again, unleashing another powerful strike that sent him back the other way.

 

This relentless onslaught repeated over and over, Plastic Man ensuring that J'onn had no opportunity to recover his senses. Each hit was calculated to incapacitate momentarily without causing permanent harm. Plastic Man maintained a perfect balance, disabling J'onn but showing restraint to avoid inflicting permanent injury on the possessed foe. J'onn's attempts to retaliate proved fruitless, as Plastic Man's swift and unpredictable movements kept him off-guard. With each well-timed strike, Plastic Man thwarted J'onn's attempts to regain control, keeping the demon Furnas on the defensive.

 

As the epic confrontation unfolded, the rest of the Justice League arrived on the scene, but they maintained a cautious distance. Despite Plastic Man seemingly gaining the upper hand against J'onn, they understood the risk involved in approaching too closely. J'onn's potential for launching a powerful psychic attack was a formidable concern, and they didn't want to jeopardize the situation further.

 

Batman, ever the strategist, landed near Jake and swiftly helped him to his feet. Despite his exhaustion and injuries, "C'mon! You need to get back and let us handle this." Batman urged, guiding Jake away from the intense battle.

 

Jake shrugged off the help and stood his ground. He swayed a bit but was determined to stay, "No. You don't have demon-destroying equipment. I do. If we can get the demon out of J'onn, Even a little bit, I can kill it. I just need a clean shot." He paused then looked around for a second, "Where's Supes?"

 

Batman's stern demeanor softened for a moment as he weighed his options, considering whether to knock Jake out or not. Ultimately, he chose not to take that drastic measure. "We found the person you were talking about. J'onn was doing a fine job keeping her secret. Superman's Android should be arriving with her right about..." Batman looked at his wrist. As if on cue, there was a thunderous BOOM, signaling the arrival of a boom tube. Out of it emerged a nervous-looking freckled-faced teenager, accompanied by a Superman-like android.

 

Batman looked up, "Now."

 

The girl looked horrified as she saw the battle taking place. Her hands covered her mouth as she cried out the muffled words, "Uncle John?"

 

With resolve and determination, Jake took a deep breath, preparing himself to face the girl named Megan with the truth. As he spoke, he closed the distance between them and looked her in the eyes, addressing her directly. "Okay, Megan, here's the story," he began earnestly. "Your uncle has been possessed by an ancient Martian demon. If we don't find a way to expel the demon, he'll give birth to an army of monsters and everyone on the planet will die."

 

Jake raised a finger, "But I have a plan," he declared with conviction. Turning to Batman and The Android, he emphasized his expertise, "I'm the demon-killing expert here. You've got to trust me."

 

Batman and The Android exchanged glances, then Batman looked at Jake, "Giovanni isn't available, and I don't know much about exorcizing Martian demons, so I don't think we have a choice."

 

Jake nodded, "Then you two, get back. WAY back." He looked at Megan, "Okay I need you to turn into your real form, then do nothing except TRUST ME. Ignore whatever I say, do nothing, and TRUST ME."

 

Megan blinked, "Uh... How do you know-?" She paused then shook her head, "No. Fine. If it'll save Uncle John."

 

Jake Motioned for Batman and the Android to retreat, then seemed reluctant, but pulled back while Jake took Megan over to the largest boulder in the area to stand on, "Revert to normal."

 

Megan turned into a green-skinned version of herself. Jake shook his head, "No. Your real form, however, you can stay green if you want. I don't think that will matter much." Megan looked surprised at what Jake had said, but nodded and nervously turned into the more insectoid-like form of a Green Martian.

 

Jake cried out, "Okay, O'Brian! Bring J'onn over here and hold him still!"

 

Plastic Man looked up, nodded, then dunked J'onn in the muck, covering him in a layer of mud to help keep him extinguished. He then wrapped his whole body around J'onn and simply stretched over to Join Jake and Megan by the boulder.

 

Plastic Man looked a little worn out, "I hope you got a plan because this is getting exhausting."

 

Jake nodded, "Oh. I do."

 

As Jake nodded in response, he suddenly transformed into his formidable suit of armor and drew his holy sword. In a swift and unexpected move, he positioned himself behind Megan, enveloping her with a field of yellow construct energy while holding the flaming sword close to her throat. The sword seemed to take on a life of its own, emitting a fierce scream, "I SMELL A DEMON THAT NEEDS KILLING!"

 

Megan's eyes widened in astonishment and fear at the sight of the flaming blade hovering near her neck. Two contrasting screams filled the air, one of joy from the fiery sword and the other of terror from Megan, creating an intense and surreal atmosphere.

 

Jake looked directly into the eyes of the subdued demon-possessed Martian and spoke calmly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"J'onn, Figure out a way to push that demon out of you, or I will kill your niece."

19