Chapter Twenty-Two : Inner Darkness
819 18 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Also quite dark?

December's wings flared as she slowed her flight, descending quickly towards the ground. Her sword forming in her right hand, allowing it to pierce the ground as she hit it.

In front of her was a thriving city, with bustling streets and happy people. December's sword collapsed into icy mist that blew away in the breeze, then she walked towards the city gate.

When she approached, several people including the guards took notice of her, but since she lined up quietly, they turned their gazes away.

December looked up at the walls, stretching nearly thirty feet into the air, her eyes observing it and the guards, them she felt a tug on her sleeve.

"Excuse me miss, the line?" A man holding a sword said, his aged and weathered face falling into December's eyes. She looked at the line that had moved forward and then shook her head.

"You can go ahead, I'm... looking." December turned her head back to the walls, leaving the man to move ahead. After a few minutes, she walked towards the gates.

"State your purpose?" The guard spoke the same words he had since he'd been on shift, looking at the white haired girl with dull blue eyes who also stared at him.

"I wanted to see the city." December said, her eyes leaving the guard and skimming at the walls blocking the city. The man stared absently, then cleared his throat.

"Do you have some form of identification?" December looked at him, then patted herself and then shook her head.

"I don't." The man stared at Decembed and then shook his head, looking at the gate and then shrugging. He nodded to the guards at the gate.

"It's fine, let her through." The man slumped back into his seat, looking at the pristine and tailored clothes the girl wore and smiled to himself.

"How could someone wearing clothing created from materials that can bankrupt a town not have any identification?" The guard shook his head and then gestured for the next person to step forward.

December looked at the people, the buildings, and the streets, and a faint sense of reluctance was slowly born in her heart.

"It should've been like this." December said softly, looking at the people, from all walks of life, the nobility looking down at the commoners and the commoners looking up at the nobility.

"Vanity is gone?" December realized Vanity had left the World of Myths, so she extended a hand and slowly ran her fingers along a pristine fountain, circling slowly and coming to a stop in front of a young woman.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you. Can I ask you something?" December greeted politely and ignored the woman's startled expression.

"Who are you?" The woman's face was visibly stiff, but December didn't answer and instead began to think. The woman was about to speak when December hummed softly.

"Do you like this city?" Hearing December's words, the woman looked into December's pale blue eyes and saw nothing, not even a bit of curiosity within them.

"I do, but can I ask for a name?" The woman took a deep breath and replied. December looked at her, then nodded and extended a hand towards her.

"I'm December, it's nice to meet you." December said softly, using her left hand to shake hands while in the right, Mana was crafted into a sword.

"And it's also unfortunate for you, please die." December's sword was lifted and then brought down without hesitation, the familiarity she felt from the woman was all she needed.

Just before the sword touched the woman's skin, December's eyes widened nearly imperceptibly and her body flickered, her sword turning into harmless icy air as she left the World of Myths.

"I wasn't done." December slowly took the helmet off and looked at the people gathered in her room, placing the helmet on the desk and looking at Lynexia, Vanity, Cearis, Ephy, and Reina blankly.

"December, can you look at me?" Cearis asked gently and December nodded, looking into Cearis' mismatched eyes and her eyes became reddish pink again and she smiled excitedly.

"I'm fine Cearis, don't worry. I was about to... do something helpful for once!" December said with a smile, but Cearis' frowned and then stepped back.

"You're not smiling, you've forgotten why you smile, so why are you smiling?" Hearing Cearis, December blinked, then her icy blue irises re-emerged.

"I remember people smile when they want to reassure someone? Is that wrong?" December asked calmly while switching her position, placing her elbow on her knee and supporting her chin in her palm.

"What happened to my sister? I put her to sleep, and now she's like this? Did I do this somehow?" Vanity asked, her face a mixture of fright and panic.

"No, you didn't Vanity. When the spell took hold and December fell asleep, she was transported to a dream realm, where the remnant consciousness of those who's blood was stolen reside." Ephy explained with a sigh.

"I warned her it was dangerous. But she went ahead anyway, I didn't expect it." Ephy said briefly, her voice nonchalant, but her clenched fists showed how angry she was.

"Don't be upset Ephy, I only wanted to help." December explained, but Ephy shook her head and looked at Cearis with an empty smile.

"You know, that place took your emotions December?" Cearis asked gently, while Vanity's eyes nearly burst into flame from anger.

"How dare anyone harm my sist-" Before she could finish her sentence, December shook her head and cut off her sister with her own words.

"She didn't steal my emotions, I gave them to her." December then began climbing out of bed, while Lynexia and Reina tried to stop her.

"Please don't, my throat is dry." December said and then shrugged, plopping back on the bed, her icy blue eyes returning to it's usual dull state.

"You're angry big sister?" December asked Vanity, her face a tinge perplexed. Vanity ignored December's expression and grabbed her shirt and growled angrily.

"What do you mean?! How can you give away what makes you you?" Vanity asked, her fingers clasping December's shirt but Lynexia tried to separate them.

"Well, either I did it, or my soul was be irreversibly damaged. I couldn't continue with my emotions, so I gave them to someone who had better use for them." December said with clear eyes.

"What happened in that place?" Lynexia's voice sounded and Ephy sighed, looking at December's expressionless face, and found it was exactly like a doll, unfeeling and cold.

"She was pulled into a dream, or rather it was a dream to begin with. But she chose to stay and help the people there, and it became a nightmare." Ephy looked at Lynexia and then at Vanity and Reina.

"I can't tell you how many times she's died, but in the instant someone of the Blood Clan is killed, time warps and they experience their death over what may feel like an eternity." Ephy said and then looked at December.

"In order to allow the remnants to sleep, she became the anchor as it were, enduring the pain of hundreds of dying Blood Clan, from then until now. Time isn't linear in that place, she could've died a thousand times, or a number bordering on infinity." Ephy said and then looked at December.

"But for each death, you endured the combined suffering and pain of hundreds of people. In order to keep your sense of self, you gave up your emotions, so you could withstand it." December nodded and then smiled.

"Ephy, you're so smart. I knew one of you would know what happened." Her icy blue eyes flickered and returned to a reddish pink.

"Since you know, can I go back? I made a promise to them, to let them sleep peacefully, and sitting here isn't helping." December's lips curled into a natural bright smile, but Vanity came forward and grabbed the hand reaching for the helmet. 

"You never smiled like that..." December's expression turned pitiful and she looked at Vanity with 'unhappiness' while trying to pull the helmet towards her.

"Big sis, you won't help me, but now you want to block me as well?" December said 'angrily', her eyes looking as if she would fight with her sister.

"You can't go back in that state December, that town you razed, their souls are all partially collapsed. A collapsed soul is the worst thing that can happen to anyone, and you know first hand." Cearis said with a sigh.

"Cearis? I really only want to let them rest, you can come with me and supervise if you want." December said, her eyes getting damp.

"Honestly, the lack of trust hurts." December mumbled, wiping the tears with her sheets, then looked at everyone pitifully.

"Okay, stop pretending. Vanity has the link, Ephy and I know, and Reina although she knew you briefly, knows that you're playing with us." Lynexia sighed and then looked at Cearis who approached December slowly.

"You won't let me do what I said I would, how can I not be upset?" December asked, her voice breaking until Cearis touched her forehead and her icy blue eyes reappeared.

"Done?" Cearis asked softly to December who's face which had been remorseful a moment before was wiped clean. She looked at everyone with her icy blue eyes.

"Seems I can't go back now. It's a shame." December said and then looked at the helmet in Vanity's arms, then looked at Ephy.

"You should want me to help them right?" December asked with confusion, her head tilting from side to side, only to see Ephy's apologetic eyes.

"I would approve of your help anytime December, but what about the unrelated people? You know better than everyone here who was related and who wasn't, everyone in the town wasn't guilty." Ephy said with a sigh.

"No, I do know better than everyone here about how bad it was. I gave them a chanc-" Cearis frowned and looked at December, her eyes glowing slightly.

"You pulled them into a Nightmare of the situation of the invaders, and concluded your results on it. You know, if you wanted to, you could have swapped positions and let them see they were wrong." Cearis explained while December stared at her.

"Alright." December nodded and then looked at Cearis, her icy blue eyes closing, turning aside and laying on the bed, pulling the sheet over herself.

"I could've done it, but the one thing I know I kept, was my vengefulness. I had to experience all of their horrors firsthand, being assaulted and killed, and I couldn't even scream. I didn't have a body, but I experienced it all." December said, her icy voice full of calmness.

"And so while I suffered, I thought, 'Why not make them feel this as well?' And it made me feel better. In the end, it's why my soul didn't collapse, the need to give them back what they did to them, and then to me." December said, her voice losing the indifference, becoming darker and more malicious.

"I tried, I don't know, I experienced the first few thousand times, and each time, it made me feel as if I had nothing. I was broken each time, and it just kept building and building, so I stepped away from it all so to speak." December turned her head towards them, her icy blue eyes staring at them coldly, with black tears trickling down her face.

"But I still felt it all. The more I felt, the more I hated them, in the end, I hated myself for getting involved. But, I can't turn back time, so I can only let them taste this pain as well, I think it will make me... happy?" December smiled, but no one in the room spoke.

"It's a very weird feeling, like butterflies in my stomach, moving around everywhere. I really just want to turn them all into statues, then to break them to pieces, like I felt." Reina approached December and hugged her gently, her body shaking as she held back her tears.

"I'm really sorry that happened to you daughter, but you know not everyone is involved." Lynexia said, patting December's silky white hair gently.

"It's because I know, it makes me even more willing. The people who died weren't involved, they simply lived peacefully, but they were invaded, r*ped, and killed, then made to suffer, I only want to return their generosity." December said, her eyes growing more and more gloomy.

"Cearis, I don't want to sleep! Please don't do it! I-" Cearis extended a hand and December's truly panicked eyes glazed over, her body plopping down limply while Cearis gritted her teeth.

"I'm sorry December, I know you don't want to, but you need to rest." Cearis sighed, looking at everyone and her figure vanished, while December's chaotic consciousness descended into darkness.

An all encompassing panic set in! It was in the darkness where she endured her pain unwilling but endlessly. Her screams and pleadings couldn't reach anyone then and now she couldn't reach anyone again, but the memory of the pain and her helplessness made her already broken sense of self fray further and further.

I can scramble a way to try to repair our main character, or I could well...
  • Repair Votes: 46 63.0%
  • Don't Repair Votes: 27 37.0%
Total voters: 73 · This poll was closed on Jul 1, 2023 10:12 AM.
38