Chapter Twenty-Four : The Choice
558 6 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

December opened her eyes and slowly turned her head to see Vanity's closed eyes, who was holding her in her arms tightly. Cearis and Ephy had left, Lynexia was missing, leaving only Reina in the room besides her sleeping sister.

"Hi..." December spoke with a hint of shyness, then turned and looked at Vanity who had opened her eyes, then hugged her tightly while her shoulders shook.

"I thought you'd forgotten everyone." Vanity then rained kisses on December's face until Lynexia entered the room and pulled Vanity aside with a gentle smile.

"Hi December." Lynexia was about to scold Vanity when December hummed and spoke, causing her body to freeze as she turned to December in disbelief.

"Hi mom." December looked at Lynexia with confusion, then Vanity sent a wave of what felt like condolences over the link and then ran out the room.

"What a sweet daughter! Mommy loves you very much daughter!" Lynexia hugged December into her body, ignoring December's attempts to struggle until she slumped in her arms.

"Ah! Sorry dear, mommy was too excited just now." Lynexia then held December's hand while she caught her breath, then Vanity re-entered the room with a platter of cookies.

"Cearis and Ephy both went out a few hours before you woke up, they haven't returned yet." Vanity said and then handed everyone a cookie and sat besides December.

"I'm glad you feel better." December looked at Vanity, her icy blue eyes staring into her sister's reddish pink eyes, then she looked away with a sigh.

"Thank you for worrying about me, otherwise..." December muttered, then the world became warped and darkness emerged from the shadows and entangled everyone present.

"Finally got past those restrictions! Hello December." A girl who's body was simply darkness condensed into a girl's form waved at December with a bright smile, one that made the light in the room seem to darken visibly.

"Who are yo-?" Lynexia stopped December's words and stepped forward, stopping in front of the girl with a calm expression, her eyes boring into the girl's swirling black eyes.

"Lynexia! It's been a while, ever since you left your place, it was very boring." The girl chuckled and then peered around Lynexia, her eyes becoming more chaotic when she looked at December.

"The star of the show! December, it's nice to meet you. Can we talk, you and I?" December looked at the girl who extended a hand formed of darkness and then looked at Lynexia.

"Don't worry, Lynexia can't stop me anyhow." The girl then laughed and grabbed December's arm, pulling her away and towards something.

"This is the World of Myths, why bring me here?" The familiar quiet towering trees and fresh air was a stark contrast to the polluted air and noise of her world.

"Why bring me here?" December asked, unfolding her wings to arrive at a gentle glide, falling through the air. But the girl didn't do anything, but the surroundings fell away and became a bustling city, so sprawling and huge, it didn't feel any worse than a city in December's world.

"Look, the king who ordered the attack back then is down below! Look, you can take revenge now! Isn't this good?" The girl then smiled when December's hand extended and a huge sword appeared within it.

"What do you want?!" Withholding the urge to fly down and attack indiscriminately, December angled her sword at the woman's neck and asked calmly.

"Just to watch a play! Do you know, I love your changes! It's everything you weren't before, strong and ruthless!" The girl then appeared behind December, placing a hand over her eyes, and her perception of the world was immediately only darkness.

"In the darkness, you learned your true self, cold and chilling. I was so amazed!" Eena laughed and moved away, while December blinked several times, trying to calm her emotions.

"I asked before, what do you want? Who are you?" December said, her sword beginning to glow with icy blue light that caused the air to start cracking softly when the blade moved.

"Like I said! To watch a play starring you! And my name is Eena, I don't have a fancy title or anything." Eena said with a smile, only it was eerily happy.

"I don't want to..." December spat out the words, while Eena crossed her arms and looked at December with an expression of sadness that looked too fake to be real.

"Yes you do! If I wasn't here, or if Cixona didn't try to change perfection, you would have simply turned the city below into a frozen wasteland full of statues!" Eena said excitedly, her hands moving around animatedly.

"Perfection?" December said and looked at Eena who nodded, walking over despite the ground being many miles below through the empty sky.

"The world is a dangerous place, and the person you were before, wouldn't survive it. In your world, you might have been fine, bu since you're here, you might die." Eena then lifted a strand of December's white hair.

"A pity for someone so entertaining. In the end, you'll choose to try to return to your old self, mortals always cling to silly things after all." Eena said with an unhappy voice.

"Why does it matter to you?" December refuted, not denying Eena's words. Eena's dark eyes became piercing, and the world seemed to be about to crumble away into nothingness, then the sensation receded.

"I never expected to see you come in Eena." A voice spoke and familiar faces appeared. Cearis and Ephy stood on either side of them, but Eena didn't looked surprised at all.

"Of course I did! Instead of ruining perfection, why not just let it run it's course?" Eena said, her expression one of anger and indignation.

"If December wants to walk that path, she's welcomed to do so, I won't stop her. But she should make the choice, not you Eena." Cearis explained while Eena let out a groan.

"This is why you guys are boring! December, with your current self, you can reach divinity! You can become an immortal undying existence with endless power!" Eena then returned to December's side and held her hands.

"You will be a goddess! Every mortal wants to attain immortality, true immortality that defies all reason! Why won't you accept your destiny?" Eena's voice sounded and December frowned.

"My destiny?" December looked at Eena's face which had returned to a shapeless mass of darkness, then the darkness surged and she assumed a more adult form.

"Oh Cearis, don't tell me you didn't tell her anything? Nothing at all? December, it's within you, what you need to transcend mortality, all you have to do is embrace yourself." Eena then looked at Cearis with a hint of wonder.

"You changed the trajectory of Destiny, but not enough! No matter what world the Divines walk in to, December will always be the best Goddess of Indifference!" Eena said smugly and then looked at Ephy with a frown.

December hearing the title recalled the figure sitting on the glass throne, eyes devoid of anything. The chains that entangled the surroundings and the frozen world that had no hint of life or warmth.

"I don't want tha-" Before she could finish her words, Eena covered her mouth and gave her a warning look, then slowly removed her hands.

"Careful, it's fragile, quite like you are. Should you deny it, it won't be able to exist." Eena said with a grin, which December didn't actually believe.

"I won't lie to you, ask Cearis and Ephy! In the end, when a mortal becomes a Divine, you are free to do anything. Cearis original path was Wisdom, and then she switched to Fate and Destiny."

"Epheria was worshipped as the Goddess of Slaughter! Now she's a respectable Goddess of Night!" Eena said with a smile and then turned to December.

"If you go ahead, in the future you might be able to change your path?" Eena's body was then fragmented like a broken glass as the world became strange, and a presence so frightening crashed down on everything, even the ground and city far below shook and quaked violently.

"Calm down Epheria, you can't kill me you know?" Eena reappeared, hiding behind December. Each of her moves were instantaneous, and December couldn't even see them until she spoke or touched her.

"Breathe Ephy." Cearis reminded and the pressure slowly faded, but the world was different. The ground far below looked as if it had been impacted with an asteroid. The clouds had already faded, and the metallic taste in the air began to fade.

"Even if you tell me who they were before, they've changed. Cearis, Ephy, Reina, Vanity, Lynexia, and even Cixona all helped me." December said with a shake of her head.

Then the world was an abyss, as darkness crawled across every inch of space. December could feel Eena's anger, and both her body and soul began to show signs of crumbling.

"You would give up your destiny because of others?! What a waste! In the end, you're not honest with yourself. You live for yourself, so why decide anything based on them?" Eena approached December, each step causing her soul to become more and more riddled with flaws.

"You could be so much more than you are, why can't you see that?" Eena gently placed a hand on December's cheeks and looked into her icy blue eyes.

"Because, when I was suffering and alone, they supported me! I won't just turn my back on them!" December said, blood dripping from cracks in her skin, blood seeping from countless fine wounds the darkness inflicted painlessly.

"Then is your resolve enough to support this choice? You're only a mortal with potential, but since you won't accept your destiny, die here." Eena said coldly, and the darkness surged like a river, crashing down on December.

December felt as if everything were slowing down, and remembered everything she had experienced. In the end, she couldn't give up what little she had left, even if she did die.

She wasn't fully indifferent, she wasn't who she was before, but even if she died, Vanity's encouragement and warmth, Lynexia's gentleness, Reina's kindness, Cearis' help and Ephy's care, and Cixona's guidance.

If she threw them all away, she would be ungrateful. The darkness crashed down and December's perception began to distort, the world becoming a series of images.

'Is this what she meant?' In this state where time was beginning to stretch on into eternity, there was a throne made of glass beckoning for her ahead of her.

She could feel it, if she sat down on it, she could survive and maybe even fight against Eena, but she knew the price. She smiled inwardly and approached the throne, at the beautiful glass throne that represented something terrifying.

'I never thought I'd hesitate to become all powerful, and if it were a game, I would. But I am myself, changed from what I experienced. Even if I die, I'll be myself.' December then looked at her reflection in the throne.

'I've felt many things in the past few days, joy and fear, happiness, contentment, the warmth of family. I don't want to give it up to become you, I can't.' December said with a shake of her head and the glass throne let out a low groan, as the glass began to crack and  crumble.

'I won't be the Goddess of Indifference, I don't want to take that path.' December said as the throne and the glass fragments crumbled.

'Even if I killed everyone if I did, it wouldn't be justice, I'd be just like them. Even if I want to, I remember the pain of being on the opposite side, being the one killed helplessly, so I won't.' December felt her mind beginning to become unaware of time.

'You still don't believe me?' December chuckled wryly when the throne reappeared again, no cracks visible on it. But the throne let out a light hum, and December couldn't help but extend a hand to touch it.

'Indifference isn't evil, I know. You feel wronged that I'd give up on you? Aren't you a manifestation of Indifference?' December asked the throne.

She could only feel feelings from it, no words or ideas, just a general feeling. The throne hummed again and December laughed again.

'You don't want to return to nothing? So you want to live?' December asked the throne, which let out a few more hums and then flashed, and December then ran her hand along the throne.

'Then we both aren't as indifferent as we thought. If I don't become a Goddess, you'll fade to nothing, returning to just a possibility that will become an improbability.'

'So why not help me? I will become a Goddess, on a path I choose for myself. You can accompany me, you are a very beautiful throne.' December offered and the throne went silent.

'You know, I probably only have a little time left before my senses become too distant.' December reminded and the throne hummed again and a sword appeared besides the throne, icy blue in color.

'So you chose. Then you agree?' December asked the throne, and the faint sensation of acceptance came through, then the connection ended and the world began to darken around her.

'No amount of divine power of godly blessings will repair my emotions, but I have enough left to continue being by everyone's side. I promise we'll reach Divinity.' December's voice came intermittently and the throne flashed with the brightness of a star and then vanished, the glass pieces quickly flowing into her body and stabilizing her soul which was infinitely close to being eroded.

December's eyes opened and an icy light flashed, the darkness being forced away from herself momentarily, long enough for Eena to recall her darkness and then scoff.

"You ruined it! It's not what it was! Oh? Well, unexpected results are always fun regardless! December, if not Indifference then what?" Eena vanished as a colossal amount of energy pierced through the darkness she had covered the world with and her laugh came from far away.

"Oh, so ruthless! As expected of you three." Eena's darkness then vanished abruptly and December took a deep breath, her senses far better than before.

"Eena, try it again, and I'll drag you back and discipline you!" A voice December was familiar with sounded. Lynexia walked through the skies, her commanding and regal presence far different than the gentleness she showed in front of December and Vanity.

"Three against one? That's just not fair! Look! Isn't December better?" Eena pointed out carelessly, and then her presence simply vanished, as she tore through the boundaries between worlds and moved away.

"My dear daughter! Mommy was so worried about you!" Lynexia's face shifted and quickly came to December and wrapped her arms around her, hugging her tightly.

"I'm fine, where's Vanity?" Lynexia rubbed December's back and then glared at the direction Eena had left from, her eyes looking as if they were about to spit flames.

"She's waiting for you at home, she didn't want to have any chance of influencing your choice, so I came alone. I didn't want to intervene earlier since she had shrouded your soul with her power, if I attacked, you might have just..." Lynexia then pulled December back into a tight hug.

"No matter what, mommy will always love you, my sweet daughter! Or is it my cool daughter now?" Lynexia teased and laughed gently when December pulled out of her embrace with a blank expression.

36