Chapter Twenty-Three : The Precipice
811 9 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

December's consciousness kept reaching out endlessly, her mind full of fear, afraid to be drowned once  again in the pain that imprinted itself so deeply on her soul, but no matter how intensely she struggled, she couldn't escape.

"Calm down December, focus on something you hold dear and focus." A voice, sweet and gentle like the caress of the wind on a warm day instantly dissipated some of her fears, and the surroundings shifted.

"W-who are you?" December said, her voice shaky, but she regained the indifference in the end. Looking at the woman with soft pink hair that trailed behind her, wearing white clothes, with a face that seemed impossibly perfect sat besides her, sipping from a glass elegantly.

"My name is Cixona, the Goddess of Beauty. It's nice to meet you in person December." Cixona said with a gentle smile, her every action charming and beautiful to the extreme.

"Why are you here?" December got out of the seat she found herself sitting in and stalked closer to the Goddess, her icy blue eyes radiating with coldness.

"Well, I granted you my Divine Favor, because although you were in pain, you were still beautiful, dazzlingly so." Cixona then placed her glass on the table and looked at December's own icy blue ones with her emerald green ones.

"Now, your state is closer to someone who is about to collapse. Your soul has taken too much pain and in order to preserve what it could, you became the way you are now." Cixona explained and December extended a hand and gently caressed Cixona's cheek.

"Are you here to help me? The only help I want is to return to the World of Myths, to kill those people!" December snarled, her icy blue eyes glaring into Cixona's emerald ones.

"And then what?" Cixona's question made December pause momentarily. "You, after you avenge all the wrongs inflicted on to you and your people, what comes after?"

"We'll see." December said and turned, but Cixona appeared in front of her, her hands holding her cheeks gently but firmly.

"No we won't. You, in that place, centered your existence and resolve in avenging everyone, and it's all you currently have December. If you carry it out, you'll have no purpose, and your soul will just shatter." Cixona said, her emerald eyes holding no trace of untruth.

"Then I'll die, so what? Even if I die, they should understand what they did!" December said firmly, but couldn't shake Cixona's hands free.

"Oh? Then you'll die? Then if you're resolved to die, now should be fine, right?" Cixona said and as if the world shattered, December could feel the oppression stemming from the woman before her, as if just a thought could wipe her from the world.

Gritting her teeth, she glared at Cixona, but her clenched fists and trembling body made it apparent she wasn't as indifferent as she looked.

"Cearis and Ephy seems to have pampered you. Do you think we're kind December? I've destroyed worlds and snuffed out trillions of existences, you act as if you're indifferent, but you're feeling fear now?" Cixona then returned to normal and the pressure vanished, the world reforming around them.

"Since you can feel fear, you aren't hopeless. Fear is emotion, and feeling fear about your demise, means you still want to live." Cixona returned to her seat, looking at December with glittering eyes.

"Until I kill them!" December said it through gritted teeth. Cixona nodded, then snapped her fingers and the surroundings changed drastically.

"I'm sure you remember this? When you first entered the World of Myths, you were amazed, and hurt when you couldn't choose who you wanted to be right?" Cixona looked at December's sleeping body, only then she was still Liam.

"What do you want to say?" December said, her eyes cold, but her voice was audibly stiffer. Cixona looked at December, then she smiled.

"Don't worry your pretty little head, I won't take back any gifts, that'd be cruel." Cixona then waved a hand and the surroundings became blurry.

"Here, you received your Class. You were happy, it was warming to see, but it became so much better when you returned here, right? When you embodied who you wanted to be?"

"Yes, I didn't have to wallow away as my old self, I was who I wanted to be." December agreed without concealing it, watching herself in the scenes displayed it vividly.

"Then what? You met Reina. The fragile you who couldn't imagine interacting with someone, made a friend? You cried in front of her, were you embarrassed?" Cixona asked with a smile.

"I was emotional, so what is your point?" December asked coldly, looking at Cixona with a chilling gaze, but Cixona laughed lightly and ignored it.

"You fought someone stronger than you, and Vanity was returned to life, you became sisters and you gained Lynexia, a loving mother, you met Ephy and Cearis, two of your biggest benefactors..." Cixona then let the scene collapse and a familiar darkness appeared.

The screams and shouts, the burning flames and the familiar darkness made December shrink herself into a ball, shivering on the floor.

"Then you came here, right? You in order to fulfill your duties as a Princess, suffered for a timespan mortals can't comprehend." Cixona looked at December's body curled into a fetal position, her body trembling uncontrollably.

"Do you know, suffering is part of life, and sadly, the world won't ever be happy with the cards they've been dealt, it seems unfair to have them suffer like this?" Cixona sat down besides her, gently placed December's head on her lap, and stroked her hair softly.

"I can't justify their greed, and I won't try to either. In the end, it's simply life at work, with greed and desire being the motivating party here." Cixona simply looked through December's memories, her eyes slightly narrowed.

"In the end, they're dead. Avenging them as you're doing, you yourself will die." The surroundings turned to a stark white place, with nothing in sight.

"Do you think it's acceptable?" Cixona gently wiped December's tears and turned her head and looked her in the eyes.

"I... I have to, even if I die... If I can show them how painful it felt..." December said with a pained voice, then looked at Cixona who raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, you understand how painful it was, and others don't. So, after you destroy them, turn their kingdom upside down, and bury them all, what then?" Cixona asked curiously.

"When you die, it's not only yourself who feels it. Your sister has a link with you, she'll feel your death as if it were her own. Lynexia's already lost her child before, would you make her relive that pain?" Cixona asked gently, her emerald eyes soft.

"Ephy and Cearis may be goddesses but they will miss you too, as they're super invested in you now. I've only observed you from a distance, but seeing you vanish will be uncomfortable for me as well." Cixona then placed a cool hand on December's forehead.

"Reina adores you, and you also like her. You've made a life for yourself, are you content with watching it all fall apart? After your death, we cannot revive you with a collapsed soul." Cixona then looked up and the surroundings shifted, showing December and Vanity playing on the bed laughing.

"If given the choice, would you forget what you've experience-" December's quick head shake made Cixona smile gently and she hugged her gently.

"Even if you've suffered, you still choose to deal with all yourself. In the end, you have people who love and care for you now, rely on them." Cixona said and then her smile became distant.

"Since you won't forget, I can interfere and allow you to return to our world, you can eventually elevate yourself to divinity, and you will be truly immortal, only you'll lose even the remnants of emotions you now possess." Cixona formed an image and December looked at it.

It was herself, sitting on a throne made of glass, surrounded by chains and suspended in a world frozen in time, covered in ice. Her eyes were cold, lacking all trace of anything, like an observer overlooking everything, detached and indifferent with a huge sword inserted in the ground besides the throne.

"I..." December knew, she could avenge them if she did so, but why was she so reluctant to say yes. Cixona looked at her and then smiled.

"I'm not Cearis, but you now have a choice. You can continue on your path, become stronger and forgo everything, becoming a goddess, the Goddess of Indifference, or you could try to return to your loved ones?"

"But I'm not the same! I'm not who I was! I can't be who I was anymore! When Vanity looked at me then, I felt her panic and regret, and it hurt so much more!" December said with a scream, her anger and helplessness directed at Cixona who held her.

"Everyone standing there! I tried to pretend nothing was wrong! When I failed, I wanted to act indifferent! I wanted to apologize, to tell them it was me! But I can't because I'm not who I was!" December said and covered her face with her hands.

"You can give up everything and pursue this to the end, with my help, I can assure you you won't die. Or you can slowly grow, you won't be who you were, but this event also won't define you." Cixona said, pulling December upright and pulling her along.

"Emotions are very beautiful, among the gods and goddesses, I have the highest attainments in them. They are beautiful, and all are precious. Pain helps you grow, you've experienced so much of it, when you do bloom, you'll become one of the most beautiful flowers." Cixona said with a smile, and December looked away, her cheeks flushing slightly.

"You can't be who you were, but people change. I'm sure none of them will hate you. Love is a beautiful thing, and they all love you, very much." Cixona then looked around as the surroundings began to collapse gradually.

"Seems Cearis discovered my intrusion, oh well. December, life is a beautiful thing. Your soul can heal, I'm not saying you'll be go back to who you were, but you'll still receive love and care from your important people, don't be afraid." 

December was gone, and Cixona looked at a girl who had appeared, only she looked like darkness itself taking the shape of a girl.

"Why did you interfere? Aren't you always away Eena?" Cixona looked at the Darkness, who smiled at her, her eyes looking like a swirling abyss wanting to devour all.

"I can't help when I see something interesting. If she'd continued, I'd have enjoyed it very much." Eena said, her smile twisted and dark, then her face was normal, as if she'd never smiled.

"But you always do ruin good things, Cixona. In the end, she's already been given everything she needed, with my help, I could've directly let her ascend to divinity." Eena then chuckled with a mixture of amusement and annoyance.

"What does someone like you care about a goddess being made? If you wanted to, you could make countless." Cixona said with a smile, and Eena grinned eerily.

"It doesn't matter, I lost my wager. I won't do anything so extreme again. Sending December into that place, it was a good attempt. Oh well." Eena shrugged and looked at Cixona with undisguised malice.

"Of course, since she has the qualifications, if one day she ascends, she'll become Indifference regardless. Or maybe not? Maybe you've changed her? In the end, who knows?" Eena said, her form beginning to fade.

"If you'd just behave, we wouldn't have to lock you out of countless worlds Eena." Cixona sighed as Eena let out a light laugh and became hazy.

"Some things I just like to break, it's fun? But since she's out of this slump, I won't do anymore. I don't want to fight you three after all, bye for now." Eena said and she vanished, leaving Cixona to shake her head.

"What a dangerous child." Cixona vanished as well while shaking her head slightly, and the makeshift world's destruction accelerated, until nothing remained.

40