13 ✦ Paying Alimony
3.9k 21 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

6Yfyor2.png

A soul agreement.

The contract which, after being brought up by this eldritch being, was something Kuuya had pulled out of his inventory immediately to check.

The name “Serval Eckhart” was no longer penned, as if it’d been empty since the beginning.

“...H…Heheha—haha…ha.” Kuuya laughs emptily as he shakily clutches the parchment with both hands. The piece of brownskin was forcefully snatched by tendrils that casually crept out of his shadow like large worms. Kuuya looked unbothered at first glance, but he was about to have a seizure from the fear freezing his mind.

Towards the empty contract…

Hel’s expression had turned even more grave. It was now clear who the other side of the contract belonged to. What would’ve happened if he had finished his words from earlier?

I don’t recognize you, lady. Please leave me alone, thank you.

His head would likely be lopped off in an instant. Or maybe, he’d be pulled down by those tendrils into a pit of darkness out of unjustified rage. There would be no corpse to remember him by. He would simply disappear as a chorus of ghastly sounding children welcomed him to their side.

Kuuya ‘calmly’ met her gaze, as he screams internally. When Hel clenched her hand into a ball of fist, bloodlust began to fill the air instantly.

Kuuya takes a deep breath, and closes his eyes.

Red dots began to close in on him once more, at a much more frightening speed.

Should he fight?

Kuuya glanced at his Player System.

Kuuya Fukusei — LV 450

Class: None

Strength — 4

 

Dexterity — 2

 

Intelligence — 3

 

Luck — 7

 

〖Unassigned SP — 2245〗

He knew how these worked from the light novels he’d read. But how far was the extent of that knowledge identical to reality? If he assigned all of his stat points to Strength and Dexterity, would he be able to fend off this woman who seemed to possess ghostly abilities?

It was too huge of a gamble, and too much to lose.

The Kuuya at this moment, was not the golden hero. The tendrils were capable of coming out of shadows without a sound.

…He had a feeling that the Excalibur wouldn’t even manage a swing before he got killed. 

Ahh, I wanna eat some mango pudding—

As the red dots drew even closer, Kuuya’s life flashed before his eyes. He recalls every part of his life, his family, the incident, the moments he had when he’d learnt the strange ability to clone himself.

Kuuya was never motivated enough to be the most extreme parts of himself. That had always been who he was. Never bad at anything, but never interested enough to pursue anything deeply either. 

However, if there was something he knew he was good at…

—It was being himself. Yes, if she came to this world expecting Serval, a clone of himself... If he couldn’t guarantee his victory, …what about taking the pacifist route, becoming Serval?

Kuuya’s mind began to spin.

He only had to think for a brief moment before he made up his choice.

…Then I will be Serval.

From now on, I will be Serval Eckhart.

A hero that came from Earth.

A hero who happened to die, but somehow lived.

A hero who… will pay… ALIMONY!!!

BEAR WITNESS TO THE BIRTH OF THE HERO!

Retrieve〖Excalibur〗from inventory.

As the darkness was mere inches away from him, a bright light burst forth. The piercing light shot through all directions as it began to envelop the young man in a dazzling gold. The darkness was scattered in an instant.

...That is…

The dame chalked with albism narrowed her eyes as she levitated off the ground and slowly moved towards the settling glow, bright enough to blind her momentarily.

One step, two steps… now the two were mere centimeters apart.

…!

Hel’s indifferent eyes had perhaps shown a glint of emotion finally, as she cast her eyes upon a familiar appearance.

“...A…ah…” Her legs touched the ground as she began to walk towards that figure with quicker steps.

A solemn… yet lonely figure that she was used to always seeing. His eyes that carried the weight of the world, the ones that gave her comfort to her existence as he looks at her that way. The only one who understood her, the one that brought her to this world.

…My first worshipper.

Resting his arms against a golden sword stabbed into the ground, ‘Serval’ closed his eyes and smiled weakly.

“...Hel. It’s good to see you again.”

Those words became the catalyst, as the bright red dot on the map was now flickering in a myriad of colors.


 

“...He’s late.” Mei looks out of the window of her room, staring emptily out at the streets.

“Did he get into some kind of trouble, I wonder…” She spoke to herself as she grabbed her phone and typed in something with deft fingers. But she decided against it. Perhaps she would get told off by her little brother that she should be sleeping at this time.

But she couldn’t help but be worried. Ever since that day, Mei had developed a feeling of anxiety whenever her brother left the house late at night. She didn’t show it normally, but Mei truly cared a lot for that cheeky little brother of hers.

“To make me worry about him like that, …when he comes back, I’m going to—”

“—Going to what?”

“Hyyaaaa?!!” Mei jumped up in a fright at the voice behind her and covered herself with a blanket. She didn’t forget to keep her toes inside too.

…Wait, that voice.

“Why didn’t I see you coming in from the front door?!”

“I sneaked in.”

Sneaked in…? But I have been looking outside since he left… Did I miss him somehow?

Shaking away those fleeting thoughts, Mei pulled the sheets down and narrowed her eyes with displeasure.

“...Do you get some sick enjoyment out of scaring me like that?”

“I do, actually.”

Kuuya caught the pillow flying towards him with a smile.

“So what were you going to do, dearest sister?”

“Annoying. Go die. Why were you so late?”

“I had some circumstances.”

Mei took a side glance at her brother, before turning in the sheets as if disinterested.

“Ah sure. I’m going to sleep now, don’t disturb me anymore.”

She hears a chuckle, and leaving footsteps. They stopped by the door.

“...Good night. …Sorry for worrying you.”

“Go already, …stupid brother.”

She could imagine that gentle smile of his saying those words, as she tucked herself even more cozily in her bed.

When she could no longer hear him, Mei turned towards the door where her brother had been. She smiles and begins to feel the sleepiness welling up within her.

“...Good night.”

Her eyes close, just moments before the shadow cast from under the gap of the door flickers strangely.

124