Ch 5. The Nightfall
234 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

     The doors opened with a ding revealing a large living room filled with gorgeous women. There were at least a dozen couches and other chairs. Along one wall were a half dozen televisions, some were on random shows others were playing video games. One part of the room was covered in blankets, with several girls lying about reading different things. Another part had a pair of pool and ping pong tables. Several of the women looked at the pair of visitors.

     “There’s so much here,” Cass said.

     “This is the main shared space. There are four small kitchen spaces for the girls to make food and two shared bathrooms. Each girl has a private bedroom and sitting space for guests,” Luna began to lead her down a hall.

     “This is impressive,” Cass said as a few girls stared at them. Luna nodded to each of them but otherwise said nothing. Each of the doors had a different name on them. Luna led her to a currently empty room and opened the door. The rooms were spacious, much larger than her own. There was a queen size bed tucked into one corner of the room next to it stood a small end table.

     One wall had an open folding closet door, and the bottom half had a set of dresser drawers. Next to the closet was a desk, it was currently empty. The far side of the room had a sliding door that led to a balcony. There was a small bathroom here containing a toilet and sink. Near the foot of the bed, tucked into the corner was a mini fridge and microwave. Above that was a single hanging cabinet. 

     “This is a pretty nice room,” Cass said as she jumped on the bed.

     “Daddy spared no expense. But the girls deserve it. They have repaid the cost of the building several times over already.”

     The door opened again, a girl stood in the entryway. She wore glasses, and her hair was done in a short style, just below her neckline. Her outfit was a simple skirt and blouse combo. Like the other girls, she was stunningly beautiful, but it was hidden behind a secretary-like attitude. “Welcome Miss Luna, what brings you here?”

     “I brought my friend Cass to examine the rooms, she might be joining the agency.”

     “That’s wonderful, I assume she met with Madame Celeste already?”

     “Yes, we just came from meeting her.”

     “Excellent,” the girl replied clapping her hands together with a smile. “I can show her around if you wish.”

     Luna looked hesitant before replying, “Sure, I still need to talk with my father. Cass, she’ll finish showing you around. I’ll be right back ok? Once Daddy and Celeste get too into their conversation it’s impossible to interrupt. Sorry be back as soon as I can,” she apologized before dashing off.

     “Hi, umm. I’m Cassandra,” she said awkwardly.

     “That’s funny, my name is Samantha. Nice to meet you,” she said excitedly. Her demeanor changed the moment Luna left the room. “Most of us stay in rooms just like this. The five top earners stay on the third floor in private suites. That’s also where Madame Celeste’s room is, though she frequently spends her time here.” 

     “Is living here nice?”

     “Oh, it’s wonderful. All the girls get along well.”

     “But there’s so many of you. Don't you get on each other's nerves?”

     "Madame Celeste maintains a tight agency. If you’re worried about living here I’m sure you’ll fit in just fine. She wouldn’t have let you stay otherwise.”

     “Honestly. It's tempting.”

     “Let’s meet some of the girls,” Samantha said, grabbing Cass’s hand and leading her back to the main room. She led Cass back to the main room and approached the girls Cass had seen earlier.

     “Cassidy, Amanda, meet Cassandra. She’s a new prospect.”

     “Hello, I’m Cassandra. Nice to meet you.”

     “Oh my god, you’re so cute,” one of the girls jumped up and hugged Cass. She was short and had a kind of little sister vibe. She had long dyed hair it changed colors as it went down making it look like a rainbow. She was wearing bright pink pajamas with a picture of an idol on them. “I’m Cassidy,” she giggled. “We can be the Cass sisters,” she added excitedly.

     “Yo, I’m Amanda,” the other girl held up her hand. She was rocking an almost stereotypical punk rocker look. Her hair was messy as if she just woke up, yet it looked good on her. It accentuated her beauty. She was wearing a pair of ripped jeans and a skull T-shirt. “You Celeste’s newest project girl then?”

     “Project girl?”

     “Well, you aren’t the usual type of girl we get here. So you must be someone she took a personal interest in. Not to say that she isn't interested in the rest of us though,” she added looking at Samantha, she just shrugged.

     “Well I’m happy she did, this place seems like fun,” Cass said, only partially lying. She did think she could have fun here. 

     “If you join us, likely you’ll be taught the ropes by one of the three of us,” Samantha said, adjusting her glasses.

     “What should I expect?” Cass asked.

     “I’m not exactly sure what you’ll be doing. But here at Nightfall we essentially do anything entertainment related. You’re attractive enough to model, and you’ve got that demure beauty angle nailed,” Cassidy giggled, pulling Amanda into a group hug.

     “If you two want, I was going to show her one of the kitchens,” Samantha said.

     “I’ll come,” Cassidy said excitedly.

     “Imma just read,” Amanda said lying back down and opening her book.

     The three girls made their way down one of the hallways the two Cass’s following close behind Samantha. She led the way to a set of heavy doors and opened them for the two girls. Cass walked in and was immediately impressed. It wasn’t a large room, but there was a lot inside. Stoves, ovens, and refrigerators lined the walls. A woman was looking in one of the fridges.

     “Ahh excellent, Cassandra. This is our facilities manager Michelle. She's in charge of the building. Her job is to make sure everything is fully stocked. As well as to ensure safe and efficient operations,” Samantha said.

     “Hello Samantha, how are you today?” she asked turning around and closing the fridge. Like the other girls, she had a strange beauty around her. She wore a neat fitted two-piece suit, her black hair done in a French braid. 

     “I am well, just showing a potential new member around.”

     Michelle looked Cass over with an appraising eye. “She’s very beautiful, though not Madame Celeste’s usual prospect. I’m Michelle, it’s nice to meet you,” she said bowing slightly to Cass.

     “It’s nice to meet you too,” Cass said returning the bow. “This building is imposing.”

     “Yes, it is the pride of Nightfall. Everyone here, support staff and performers included, worked hard to bring us to this place,” she said with a grin.

     “It shows,” Cass smiled back missing the grin of the other girls. “I think I'm going to accept Madame Celeste’s offer,” she said slipping on Celeste’s name slightly. 

     “Excellent,” Celeste said from behind the trio. Standing by her side was Luna. “You’ll enjoy your time here, I promise you that. I have a standard contract already drawn up in my office if you’d be so kind as to come with me.” Celeste motioned with her finger then turned on her heel and exited the kitchen.

     Cass looked at Luna, she smiled and gave her a thumbs up. As she followed Celeste they passed several busy-looking people. They greeted Celeste warmly, some giving her small bows as they passed. She would smile and return their greeting then ask them how their day was going. Cass got the impression that she was well-liked, she was overwhelmed with the sheer scale of this agency. 

     Celeste led the way to her office on the third floor. Cass saw a set of double doors that said Sirenity on it. Celeste opened a door across the hall and gestured her inside. The woman followed her inside and made her way around the desk, confidently taking her seat.

     “Please have a seat,” she said gesturing to the chair in front of her. “Are you thirsty? Can I offer you anything? Soda perhaps some sort of tea?”

     Cass cleared her throat nervously, “Water is fine.”

     Celeste pressed a small intercom and requested water and oolong honey tea. They sat for a minute before the door opened and a mousy-looking secretary opened it. She was wearing a plain, but exquisite-looking suit. Her red hair was tied up in a bun, she was average looking compared to most of the girls Cass saw today. But the girl still had a hidden beauty peeking through. 

     “Here’s you and your guest's drinks Madame,” she said with a slight nod. She placed a tray down on the desk between them then excused herself with a bow. Cass picked up her cup and nervously sipped. It was not a cheap tea set, Cass who had never seen or used one could tell.

     “I’m glad you accepted. I think you’ll find the Nightfall Agency enjoyable. The employees here are nice and kind. We are less of coworkers and more like a family. And I want you to be a part of that family. I have a feeling you’ll fit right in,” she said with a smile.

     “Honestly. This place seems like a lot of fun. I will take your offer to join.”

     Celeste smiled again and opened a drawer on her desk. She retrieved a contract and set it in front of Cass. She was expecting a thick ream of paper, rather, it was a four-page document written in mostly plain English. It essentially said that she would be brought in on a temporary contract, that she was to live in the facility with the others, and that she would assist with Nightfall Agency business. It also gave terms of her training and what would be provided to her. After reading over the terms, she signed her name. She smiled and handed it back to Celeste.

     “Excellent, welcome aboard,” she offered her hand.

     “Looking forward to working with you all,” Cass said shaking the woman’s hand. There was a knock on the door before it opened inwards. Celeste’s secretary walked in with Luna. 

     “Ah! Perfect timing,” Celeste said. “Luna dear would you kindly take Miss Cassandra to her place to retrieve her belongings? I’ll send along one of our mover teams”

     “Sure thing Miss Celeste,” Luna smiled.

     “Once you return I will have Samantha bring you up to par with what’s expected of you here,” Celeste said to Cass. “You may leave now I have things to attend to. Alicia, please ready a room for her.”

     Alicia bowed and gestured for the two girls to follow her. Cass grabbed Luna's arm and walked beside her. Alicia asked Cass questions about her preferences and needs. She gave a few curt replies before silence fell on the group. After a few minutes, Cass climbed into Luna’s car.

     “So you did sign, I knew you would,” Luna teased. Cass pouted and chose to not respond. Luna giggled, “I'm sorry. Please don't be mad. 

     “I'm not mad,” she said.

     “I’m glad,” Luna said. She had an odd look on her face.

     “You ok Lulu?”

     “Cass, I'm sorry.”

     “Why?” 

     “Because I forced you to come here. I didn’t ask how you felt.”

     Cass was silent for a moment before responding, “I was hesitant at first. But the girls seem nice, they are pretty close. And they didn’t treat me distant or cold. Some of them seemed eager to spend time with me.”

     “Are you sure you’re not mad at me?”

     Cass looked at Luna, “Lulu, look at me.” 

     Luna stared at the floor of her car.

     “Lulu?”

     Luna looked at Cass, tears in her eyes.

     “I’m, not mad, and I don't hate you.”

     Luna started crying, and Cass put a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Let's go get something to eat I'm starving for some reason.”

     “Okay.” Luna started her car and pulled out of her parking spot.

     Celeste stared at the pair as they pulled out of the parking lot. Watching her car until it disappeared into the bowels of the city. A grin formed on her face and she turned to face a small woman. She was dressed conservatively, with a pair of black leggings and a band t-shirt. Her raven black hair was pulled into a tight bun, held up by a pair of hair sticks.

     “That Cass woman was visited by one of our brethren. I want you to tail her and learn everything you can about her. I can’t tell what but something about her feels different.”

     “Yes mistress as you command,” the woman said dropping to her knees and pressing her right hand to her chest. As she stood up a pair of brown leather wings sprouted from her back. She walked to the window and uttered something before stepping through the solid glass and vanishing. With a couple of flaps, she ascended and began to tail the pair. Silently gliding above the roofs.

 

Sorry about the delays with my stories. Been struggling to get back to work. Its been a bunch of small issues. I've also run out of my meds so its been hard even just sitting down to write. Hopefully things will return to normal soon and I can get back to doing what I love.

6