Ch 8. The Future
131 6 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

 

     “You already made your move, huh?” Amanda walked over to Cassi who was busy waving at a very red Cass.

     “What can I say, she's exactly my type,” Cassi said, watching the elevator doors close on the flustered girl. 

     “Was it fun at least?”

     “It was wonderful!” she said enthusiastically. “She has the stamina to put any one of us to shame. Honestly, it's too bad she's human.”

     “I don’t know, something about her is odd. Did you use the memory magic on her?”

     “Of course I did, who do you think I am?” Cassi asked disappointingly. “I really wish I didn’t though.”

     “She seemed a little embarrassed when you waved to her.”

     “It's because I'm so adorable, also I may have flirted with her a little yesterday.”

     “Sure, probably more like a lot,” Amanda said, tossing a pillow at the girl. “But Madame Celeste brought her in for a reason.”

     “No one knows what she’s thinking. But she saved us from them, so if she wants a human pet, I won’t complain.” 

     “Especially one as adorable as her, right?” Amanda nudged Cassi.

     “Exactly,” she smiled. “I hope we can spend more time together. I just love to tease cute, innocent girls like her.” Her smile twisted slightly.

     “Just don't hurt her,” Amanda sighed.

     “I would never. At least not permanently,” she replied defensively.  

     “Whatever, it's your funeral.”

     Cassi stuck out her tongue, “So what are your plans today?”

     “Recording, then I have an ‘exclusive’ show at one of the larger nightclubs. You?”

     “I have a shift at the cuddle café, then it's off to spend the night with some lonely billionaire,” she shuddered

     Amanda put her hand on the girl's shoulder, comfortingly. 

     “It’s ok, I’ll just think of Cass and that’ll help.”

     “Are you sure? I know you don’t like that part of the job.”

     Cassi shrugged, “It’s just a job. And it's better than the alternative.”

     Amanda nodded in agreement, “True, I’d much rather be here.”  

     The two girls stood in silence for a moment. Each comforting the other before they separated. Bid each other farewell and left to their rooms.

 

*****

 

     “No, no, no, like this!” the tutor said, her voice tinged with annoyance as she demonstrated the walk again. 

     Cass tried to mimic her. “Like this?”

     “Better, but you still were off, pay attention to your feet. Again!”

     Cass repeated the walk, again and again, for hours. By the time she returned to the common room, it was already past lunch and approaching dinner. She collapsed into one of the fluffiest couches she had ever sat in.

     “You look like you had a rough day,” Cassi said, sitting down next to the exhausted girl. 

     “My feet have never hurt this much,” she sighed.

     “Here,” Cassi said, handing her a bowl of rice, topped with tonkatsu pork and vegetables.

     “Oh my god, thanks,” Cass said, taking the bowl and offered chopsticks. She smiled and immediately ate a slice of the pork. “Mmm, so good.”

     “I’m glad you like it,” Cassi smiled.

     “Did you make this?”

     “I did,” she said happily.

     “It’s delicious,” Cass said as she took another big bite.

     “Thanks,” Cassi said, her cheeks turning slightly pink.

     “So, what do you have planned for the rest of the day?” Cass asked through a mouthful of rice.

     Cassi snorted and said, “I have a shift in a bit I have to go to.”

     “This late?”

     “Yea, I work late sometimes.”

     “What do you do then?”

     “I’d rather not say.”

     “Is it dangerous?” Cass asked with a look of concern.

     “What isn’t?” Cassi shrugged.

     Cass set down her bowl of food and took Cassi’s hands. “Please,” she begged. “Is it dangerous?”

     Cassi smiled and tightened her grip on Cass’s hands. “No, it’s not.”

     Cass sighed and picked up her food before taking another big bite. “I'm glad.”

     “It's cute that you’re worried.”

     “Course I am. I like you, and I don’t want you to get hurt,” Cass said nonchalantly. 

     “So you like me then,” Cassi smiled and looked her in the eyes.

     Cass turned several shades of pink before setting down her nearly empty bowl. “I… well, I mean…” she looked at the floor, her face beet red.

     Cassi leaned against the flustered girl, resting her head on Cass’s shoulder. Cass laid her head against Cassi’s and the two of them snuggled for a bit until someone came to collect her.

     “Bye Cass I had a lot of fun tonight,” Cassi giggled. “Maybe we could have more fun sometime soon,” she added with a wink.

     Cass watched her leave with a smile on her face. She waited a few minutes before she stood and carried her bowl to the kitchen. After putting it in one of the large sinks, she grabbed an apple and carried it to her room. She opened her door and saw that someone had come to clean again, as her bed was made and there was a small bowl of snacks on the desk. Sitting at the desk, she turned on her computer.

     The fans spun up, the colored lights on the computer flared to life, bathing her room in pink, white, and blue light. Once it finished booting, she opened up her Discourse app, found Luna’s name, and sent her a message. 

     McCass: Hey, how do you know if you’re falling in love with someone?

     Lulubelle: That's an odd thing to ask. Didn’t even get a ‘Hi, how are you?’

     McCass: ‘Hi lulu, I spent all day prancing around like a show pony and my feet are killing me. How was your day?’

     She wrote with every ounce of sarcasm she could muster.

     Lulubelle: You probably intended that to be sarcastic, but I am good. Sorry to hear about your feet, but you’ll get used to it. As for your odd question, I don’t know. You kinda just know, you know? Why does sweet little Cass have her first lesbian crush?

     McCass: I’m a boy, remember?

     Lulubelle: Keep telling yourself that.

     Cass knew that behind those words Lulu was smiling. She pouted and wondered why her best girl-friend always had to tease her like this. 

     Lulubelle: So who’s the lucky girl?

     McCass: There’s no girl!

     Lulubelle: Hypothetically then?

     McCass: Cassidy…

     Lulubelle: She certainly is cute, and totally your type now that you mention her. Be careful, though, I get the feeling like she might like teasing a little too much. If you catch my meaning.

     McCass: Nothing happened. So there's nothing I need to be careful about.

     Lulubelle: Fine, we’ll talk about what happened later. I gotta do some homework.

     McCass: What am I going to do about school? I start in a week.

     Lulubelle: Can you change your name online?

     McCass: Maybe I can check.

     Lulubelle: Now would be a good time to pick a major, too. You should go for drama. You always loved it.

     McCass: Maybe, that sounds nice. And it's something I wanted to do. My dad will be upset, though.

     Lulubelle: When isn't he upset? I swear, your father is just a bundle of anger issues in a fitted suit.

     Cass knew she wasn’t wrong. She loved her father dearly, but he was very overbearing. He had to be in control of everything around him.

     McCass: He’s not that bad.

     Lulubelle: Cass. He drove your mother away.

     McCass: Ouch… point taken. I don’t think he does it maliciously, though. It's just his strange way of showing love, even if it's overbearing.

     Lulubelle: Maybe. Anyway, I have to go talk to you later.

     Cass sighed and opened up her college portal, after a bit of searching she was able to change her name and even was able to pick a major. She browsed the list of available ones and narrowed it down to arts and architecture or film, theater, and television. In the end she chose film, theater and television with a theater minor and began to build her coursework. After much agonizing, she chose an equal mix of history and practical classes.

     By the time she finished, it was nearly midnight. Setting her alarm for midnight, she climbed into bed.

 

*****

 

     White, pure never ending white surrounded Cass as she looked confused. She stood there for what felt like an eternity. Standing for so long, her feet began to hurt. Just as she was thinking about how nice a chair would be, one materialized before her. 

     Definitely a dream, she thought to herself. Deciding this was less weird than her dreams had been usually, she sat down and wished she had a book to read, and one appeared on a table next to the chair. She picked it up and looked at the cover. It was one her mother had given her when she was a little kid.

     Opening it up, she turned to her favorite part and began to read. The book was almost like she remembered, though there seemed to be some inconsistencies. She chalked them down to not remembering clearly and continued to read. Lost in enjoyment, she failed to realize she was no longer alone.

     “You always loved that book, sweetheart,” said a familiar voice.

     “Mommy?” she asked. 

     Her voice came out small and soft, startling her. She looked down at herself. Her body shrunk, she stood up from the chair and barely came to her mother's waist. Wishing for a mirror, she turned when it appeared. Staring at the mirror dumbfounded, her mother walked over and stood right behind her.

     “My beautiful daughter,” her mother said, patting her head gently. “How I’ve missed you.”

     Cass stared at herself a moment longer. She was a little girl again, she had her mother's eyes and her nose. Looking at her reflection brought her a strange feeling. Looking up, she saw her mother smiling down at her. Instinctively, she turned and hugged her mother tight.

     “Mommy, why’d you leave?”

     “I didn’t want to, baby girl. I should have been here, then I could have prevented your suffering.”

     “My suffering?”

     “You haven’t realized it yet, then?” she asked, then rested her hand on her daughter's cheek. “Only partially I see…” she sighed. 

     “Hmm?” Cass tilted her head in confusion.

     “Nothing baby girl. I'm so happy to see you are doing well.”

     “Mommy, will I ever get to see you again?”

     “Soon, sweetie, when you awaken.”

     “Awaken?” Cass asked, but her mother just smiled. 

     A couch appeared behind them, her mother picked her up and carried her over. Her mother sat down, and she curled up, laying her head in her mother's lap. She told her everything that had happened after her mother left. As she spoke, her mother played with her hair. Eventually, she got to the part about being transformed, but chose not to talk about it.

     “Mommy, I’ve missed you so much, where did you go? Why did you leave me?”

     "I cannot say yet, just know that I always loved you and I didn’t want to. But it was something I had to do, for your safety.”

     Cass started crying, the pain of years of harsh treatment hitting her full force. She cried for herself. Cried for her mother. And even cried for her father. She cried so long that her mother held her and began to sing her a lullaby.

 

Hush, my little one, close your weary eyes,

As the moonlight paints the darkened skies.

Let me sing you a lullaby of solace deep,

Where dreams can soothe and memories sleep.

 

In a land of slumber, where shadows dance,

We'll find a haven, a blissful trance.

Where worries fade, like whispers in the breeze,

And troubles vanish, like ripples on tranquil seas.

 

Dreams are gentle, like a soft, caressing touch,

They hold the power to heal and mend so much.

Let them carry you on their wings of peace,

To a place where your heartache finds release.

 

When the night unfolds, and darkness falls,

And the haunting visions cast their daunting calls,

Fear not, my love, for dreams will guide you through,

To realms of bliss, where old sorrows bid adieu.

 

Like delicate petals that gracefully unfold,

Memory's burdens shall gently erode.

Embrace the slumber, let the bad dream depart,

For in this lullaby, healing finds its start.

 

The stars will twinkle, a gentle, guiding light,

As you surrender to the velvety night.

May every twinkle be a memory anew,

Rekindling joy, as dreams weave their value.

 

So sleep, my little one, and let your spirit mend,

As this lullaby of forgetting weaves its blend.

Tomorrow's dawn will bring a day so bright,

With dreams embraced, memories take flight.

 

     Before Cass’s mom could finish singing, she had fallen asleep, her small face smiling. Not a worry marred her innocent smile as she slumbered in her mother's embrace. 

 

8