Cycle 1-4: Crossed Paths
154 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaitlyn stared at the calculus problem in front of her uncomprehendingly. A pencil twirled idly between her fingers. 

Find the point(s) of intersection (if any) of the sphere 2 + 2+ 2- 8x + 4y - 16z + 10 = 0 and the line x = 3 + t, y = 1 + 2t, z = 3 - t.

In her past life, she had never made it past high school math. There had been no need. Math wasn’t exactly useful in Journalism, so Journalism majors usually gritted their teeth through the GE just to be done with it. She herself managed to muddle through with a low B - quite an accomplishment in her eyes. 

However, biology majors were, for some unfathomable reason, held to a higher standard in math. Maybe it had to do with biology being a STEM field, but from a practical standpoint she couldn’t see how this stuff would ever be useful for them either. What kind of doctor needed to know derivatives?

The blank notebook glared accusingly up at Kaitlyn. She had been sitting in the common room for nearly an hour with no progress. As much as she tried to focus, distractions kept popping up and getting her off track. Not people or anything. In fact, aside from a few girls passing through on the way to their own dorms, the common room had been oddly quiet. Maybe everyone else is studying in their rooms? Actually, it’s the first real weekend. They’re probably out socializing and exploring or something.

This common room was similar to what she was familiar with, if more spacious. A few large, rectangular tables surrounded by metal chairs occupied one side of the room, seemingly intended as a more “productive” environment. To the other side, a series of couches set in a “U” shape around a low table formed a more casual place to hang out. 

The two sides didn’t have a barrier between them or anything, so the purposes of each side were more suggestions than anything formal though. To one side of the room, a small alcove containing a sink embedded in a long bluish counter and ample cabinets provided something like a communal kitchen.

Kaitlyn had obviously already checked the cabinets for any appliances or utensils. Unfortunately, she found only the occasional plate or mismatched mug. Likely the dishes were from other dorm tenants. 

I’ll need to see if I can spruce the place up a bit. If I can afford a small pressure cooker or even just a cooktop, that would be great. Dining hall meals just can’t compare to something homecooked. Her brow furrowed. Actually, are appliances allowed here? Do they even exist? They should, if this place is so similar to my world. Still, one more thing to check.

With a final sigh, she shut the textbook with a soft thud and packed away her things. I don’t need to get this early of a start. No one else is, obviously. I might as well take the chance to explore a bit more.

***

After putting away her stuff and a bit more searching online for kitchen appliances, Kaitlyn finally set off on a second tour of the campus. This time, rather than familiarize herself with the layout, she had a different goal in mind. 

I’m sure that one of the guys I’m looking for is an athlete - I just need to figure out what sport he’s in. Maybe I can figure out where they all practice? Heck, maybe I’ll even get lucky and see him.

Most of the on campus teams had information available on the school website, luckily. However, the public information didn’t usually extend to practice locations and times. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that the swim team might be at a pool though. Or to find the soccer team by the soccer field. 

She avoided the teams that might practice in indoor areas for now. Even if the guy she was looking for was on one of those teams, she couldn’t bring herself to be so obvious about seeking them out. Much better to “happen” across areas where practice was happening. Besides, she could go to the team’s matches and blend in with the crowd there if needed.

After a few hours of walking and observing, she had managed to locate a good number of teams practicing. Still no familiar figures though. She even made sure to stick around until helmets were removed to get a good look at everyone. Well, guess I’ll check the football field before dinner. It would be super stereotypical for this guy to be a star quarterback or something, but I guess it’s not out of the question.

The football field was across campus from her current position, unfortunately. That meant a lot more walking, and her feet were getting pretty tired by this point. Still, she kept on regardless. The distance did mean she could take a moment to appreciate the campus on the way though. 

The place really was pretty. The antique red brick buildings gave a sense of traveling back in time to some old English academy. The fact that said buildings showed no signs of age or decay made it seem positively unreal though. Even the ivy creeping up the occasional wall was picturesque rather than giving off an air of neglect as it probably should. The wind carried the smells of oak and roses through the courtyard as she passed through, and the sound of a large belltower chiming the hour completed the scene.

Yeah, definitely a video game setting. No way anything is this perfect in real life. Actually, how are there so many roses around? She looked around to find a few planters full of the blooming red flowers. Are those even in season?

Soon enough, the stadium came into view. The football field within was set at ground level with tall metal bleachers surrounding it on either side. Checking around for a discreet vantage point, she circled around towards the shorter fences near the goalposts to observe.

There was in fact a team practicing within. A collection of male and female students lined up along the artificially green grassy sidelines, stretching in a group. Most of them were tall and limber with a kind of lanky athleticism to them. She thought she saw the telltale signs of sweat on some of their shirts, suggesting that Kaitlyn wasn’t seeing the very beginning of practice.

This isn’t the football team. What is this?

Craning her neck slightly, she scouted the group for any familiar faces or features. Unfortunately, they were too far away and closely clumped for her to make much else out. The gate closest to the bleachers was closed though and provided an out-of-the way spot to stand and observe the practice. She shifted over and resolved to watch until the group came closer. Then she could determine if any male leads were on the team.

At least one of them has to be. She leaned sideways against the fence, crossing her arms. At least, I hope so. I mean, there’s only so many teams to choose from here. Hopefully it’s some sport that’s fun to watch, so that if he IS interesting I can go to games or practice without it being too weird. Though I guess going to games is pretty common for a lot of people? I dunno, Haley seemed to do it a lot, but maybe that was just for her boyfriend.

“You here to join?”

Kaitlyn started out of her musings. The team was running laps around the track now, and seemingly had been for a while. She glanced around for the source of the voice. Leaning with his back against the other side of the gate, a few feet down from her spot, was an older mustachioed man in a white polo and matching cap. A whistle hanging around his neck denoted him as a coach.

“U-um. I’m sorry?” Kaitlyn kicked herself. Evidently her spot wasn’t quite as discreet as she had thought. So much for stealth

The old man raised his eyebrows. “You wanna join cross county? Or are you lookin’ for a friend?”

“O-oh. Um, no thanks. I’m just, um, exploring. I was just watching.” She finished lamely.

“Well, no worries there miss. If you ever do end up wantin' to join, you come find us aye? Practices are every morning at 7:30, ‘cept for Sundays. Sometimes we got afternoon ones like this one here, but those are more whenever.” He waved a hand dismissively.

Kaitlyn mentally tucked the information away. “Ah, thank you. I’ll… I’ll keep it in mind.” 

“No problem, miss. It’s what I’m here for.” The coach flashed a friendly smile. “I’m Coach Davies, by the way. Most people call me Coach, but if you already got a coach and don’t wanna get mixed up then Davies is fine.”

“Nice to meet you”. This old guy is way too friendly. It’s kinda creepy. After a slight pause, she realized that he was still looking at her expectantly. He probably was waiting for her to introduce herself as well. “Ah! I’m Kaitlyn.”

“It’s a pleasure, Kaitlyn. I’d shake your hand, but the fence makes it kinda hard.” He chuckled. 

She laughed nervously. Geez. Now am I gonna have to talk to him the whole time? No, he’ll hopefully have better things to do than hang around here. Still, I should probably leave as soon as I can-

“Hey, Coach!”

A cheerful male voice rang out across the field. Kaitlyn looked around for its owner and spotted him almost immediately. 

A tall, bronze-skinned teen jogged across the track towards them, white shirt slightly damp with sweat. As he moved, his corded muscles flexed and rippled, further emphasizing his lean frame. A red and gold sweatband kept the long, black locks of wavy hair pulled back and away from his face. Bright eyes of deep caramel sparked with enthusiasm as he slowed to a halt before Coach. 

As usual, Kaitlyn’s heart began to beat faster at his approach. Ok, this guy is definitely the athlete. No doubt about it. 

“What d’you need, Alex?”

“The team’s done stretching. Also, Cedric’ll need to head out pretty soon, so can you keep an eye on the time for him?”

Coach Davies checked his watch. “Ah, right, he mentioned that. I’m keeping an eye out, no worries. Let’s get goin’ then.” The older man heaved himself off of the chain link fence, projecting his voice towards the group of runners. “Alright, lets get to work! It was nice to meet you, miss. Feel free to come by anytime.”

As Coach walked off, Alex stayed behind for just a moment and turned to look at her. With a start, Kaitlyn realized she had been staring at him. She averted her gaze in embarrassment as the athlete smiled broadly.

 “Nice to meet ya! I’m Alex. I’d shake your hand, but it’s probably already sweaty and all that.” He scratched the back of his head apologetically, the infectious grin never leaving his face.

“Oh! T-that’s ok. My name’s, um, Kaitlyn.” She screamed at herself internally. Of all things to hesitate before, you stumble on your own name?! How stupid can you be?! I swear if he doesn’t think I’m some sort of moron now - 

“Kaitlyn, huh? I’m bad with names, but I’ll try my best!” Alex turned back towards the field and the receding Coach. “Well, gotta go. See you around sometime, yeah?”

Her heart nearly stopped. “Y-yeah! Of course!”

He gave a final boyish smile and wave. As the tall, handsome figure jogged off to join the rest of his team, Kaitlyn found herself waving a hesitant hand back. Finally, something’s looking up.

4