Chapter 3: Subsurface
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"H-Hyun!?" Min stammered, his heart pulsating.

Hyun's sudden outpouring of emotion caught Min off guard. His heart quivered as he witnessed his beloved crush, in such a shattered state, with puffy eyelids, a runny nose, and red cheeks. The stark contrast from the usual energetic and carefree Hyun he admired from a distance left Min stunned. His own awkwardness was amplified in the face of someone in distress, but he couldn't bear to see Hyun in pain.

With hesitant steps, Min inched toward and took a seat beside Hyun, his mind racing to find the right words to offer comfort. He stared at the ground for a few seconds, gathering his thoughts and summoning the courage to reach out. Finally, he extended his right arm and gently placed it on Hyun's left shoulder, hoping to provide some solace in this overwhelming moment.

"Hey, Hyun... Y-You, um, ca-can tell m-me everything," Min spoke softly, his voice trembling with genuine concern. "I... can h-help you."

Hyun's tears continued to flow, his body trembling with the heaviness of his emotions. Sniffles punctuated his words as he tried to compose himself enough to respond.

"You're Aki's friend, right?" Hyun managed to utter in a somber tone, his voice cracking.

Min nodded, his worry intensifying. "Yeah, that-that's me. But is ev-everything all right?"

Hyun buried his head in his hands, his cries growing even more desperate. It seemed as though the floodgates had been opened, releasing emotions he had held in for far too long. His legs trembled, his hands shook, and beads of sweat dotted his forehead.

As Hyun struggled to explain himself through his sobs, Min strained to make sense of his words. Amidst the gibberish that reached his ears, Min could discern fragments of pain and distress, but the full extent of Hyun's turmoil eluded him.

Min's desire to help overwhelmed him, yet he felt his own awkwardness holding him back. The sight of Hyun, whom he admired not only for his outward qualities but also for his character, attitude, style, and energy, crying so vulnerably shook Min to the core. He had always imagined Hyun as emotionally stable, and now, the realization that he had been silently battling his own demons struck Min with disbelief.

The weight of the moment hung heavy as Min contemplated his next move. Finally, he took a deep breath and pushed past his own insecurities.

"I'm so sorry. I can't ma-make out what you're say-saying, but I'm here for you," Min said, his voice still unsteady.

As Hyun's tears subsided, his gaze shifted to Min's face, searching for understanding and support. Min could sense the confusion in Hyun's eyes, unsure of how to interpret the expression he found on Min's face. A myriad of emotions flickered across Hyun's face—sadness, doubt, fear, and a glimmer of hope—each subtly visible. It was a realization for Min, discovering the depth of emotions that the human face could convey.

"It's just that... people don't get me at all," Hyun confessed, his voice tinged with a hint of frustration, his words interrupted by sniffling.

A wave of guilt overtook Min, his heart aching for the pain Hyun had endured.

"What do you mean?" Min responded, his voice reflecting a mixture of concern and self-blame, as if he bore responsibility for Hyun's suffering.

"I got back my Economics test paper last week, and I did terrible. I fucking flopped such an easy paper," Hyun shared, his voice laced with disappointment. "I told my friends I felt sad 'cause of that, and you know what they told me?"

Min shook his head, anticipating the insensitivity that followed.

"They told me to stop whining 'cause I have good looks. Apparently, I have everything in life," Hyun's voice held a bitter tone. "Just because they say I look good doesn't mean I don't want to do well in school, and those fuckers don't get that. I don't even know why I hang out with those fools."

Min's empathy deepened, understanding the frustration of being misunderstood and reduced to positive or negative superficial qualities.

"Have you tried meeting with a teacher or getting a tutor?" Min suggested, hoping to offer a practical solution.

"I did, but I'm way too dumb to be helped," Hyun confessed, his voice colored with self-doubt. "Also, I can't, for the life of me, focus during extra classes even when I wanna."

Min's concern grew, realizing that there were deeper issues affecting Hyun's academic struggles.

"What do you mean you're not able to focus?" Min inquired gently, wanting to grasp the full extent of Hyun's challenges.

Hyun sighed, burdened by his personal troubles. He mustered the courage to open up further.

"I have a lot of issues," Hyun admitted, vulnerability seeping into his voice. "A lot of the girls treat me like I'm some object. I've dated many girls, and while my relationships started off well, they were ruined because they didn't see me as a person. I was just this pretty thing who had to cater to their stupid needs and pleasure them whenever they wanted. My last breakup was a nightmare. I dated this girl named Hwayoung, and I wanted to break up with her because she was using me. She blackmailed me and threatened to leak pics of me if I left her. It's a miracle she didn't."

Min's eyes widened with shock. The weight of Hyun's experiences sank deep into his heart, realizing the extent of the emotional turbulence his crush had endured. He knew then that Hyun's facade of stability had concealed a multitude of hardships.

"I'm so sorry, Hyun," Min murmured softly, his voice filled with empathy. "That's incredibly unfair and hurtful. No one deserves to be treated that way."

Silence hung in the air as Min contemplated his next words, wanting to provide comfort to Hyun in this moment of vulnerability.

"H-have you tried talking to a l-loved one like your mom?" Min asked, his voice filled with care. The concept of dating and romance was so foreign to him that it took a while for him to fully grasp the depth of Hyun's relationship problems.

"Well, my mother's dead, and my father is always busy with work," Hyun replied with a lack of emotion in his voice.

Min's expression turned sorrowful, and he responded in an overly apologetic manner, his words stumbling over his own uncertainty. It seemed as though his entire being was consumed by a deep sense of remorse.

"I'm so-sorry. I did not know that!" Min stuttered, his voice trembling. It was as if his soul bid farewell to his body, overwhelmed by the load of his unintentional ignorance.

"Nah, it's okay, bro. I know you didn't mean any harm," Hyun reassured, his hand gently patting Min's shoulder as he offered a faint smile.

Min took a moment to gather his thoughts before continuing the conversation, wanting to provide guidance for Hyun.

"Have you tried meeting with the school counselors?" Min inquired, hopeful that they might offer some assistance.

"I almost met one of them, but I decided not to," Hyun confessed, his tone tinged with regret.

"Why?" Min asked, genuinely curious about Hyun's reservations.

"Because of my fucking friends! They say therapy is for sissies. Instead, they tell me to wreak havoc and bully others to make myself feel better, but I can't do that," Hyun admitted, frustration evident in his voice. "Hell, I don't even know why I call them friends. They ridicule a lot of the stuff I do. I wanna leave them, but I'm scared I'll be lonely."

Min's eyes filled with deep understanding as he listened intently, ready to offer his perspective.

"Hey, being alone and doing what you want to do is way better than being forced to fit in," Min stated, his voice filled with conviction.

"I know, but it's easier said than done," Hyun sighed, his doubts lingering.

"What do your friends tell you when you do something they don't like?" Min inquired, wanting to explore the dynamics of Hyun's friendship and the impact it had on his well-being.

"They tease me a lot and call me names. Sometimes they threaten to expose me if I wanna hang out with somebody who's not part of the gang. It doesn't help that I'm a sensitive bitch," Hyun admitted, his voice stained with vulnerability.

"They're just jealous of you. And, no, you're not sensitive," Min said firmly, his words carrying a tone of reassurance.

"Thanks. That means a lot," Hyun responded, a subtle smile gracing his lips as he awkwardly nodded his head.

"Aren't you participating in the music festival?" Min asked, attempting to shift the conversation to a more positive topic.

"I am, but I wanna withdraw. I just don't have the energy. Gonna blame it on some fake arm injury," Hyun confessed, his fatigue evident.

"That's good. You need to take a break," Min encouraged, understanding the importance of self-care.

"Yeah, I seriously need some good rest, but I'm miles behind everyone, so I can't afford to do that," Hyun lamented, his voice dyed with frustration.

"What do you mean?" Min inquired, truly curious about Hyun's perspective.

"Everyone's seventeen years old. I'm eighteen. I had to take a year off after I messed up my leg during a soccer game. Since I'm behind everyone, I feel out of place and lacking," Hyun explained, his insecurities seeping through his words.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm behind everybody too. I studied abroad for a few years, and when I came back, I had to study the same grade again for some reason," Min revealed, offering a glimpse of his own struggles.

"Well, that makes two of us. Let's do our best," Hyun responded, a half-alive spirit shining in his eyes.

"Yup!" Min exclaimed, a sense of camaraderie forming between them.

"So, you use this place to chill too, huh?" Hyun remarked, noticing their shared retreat.

"All the time," Min confirmed, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"Interesting. I just found this spot last week. Not gonna lie, Aki has told me quite a bit about his conversations with you, and you seem like a fun guy. I lowkey wanted to join you guys that day, but those idiots dragged me to watch the girls play basketball for all the wrong reasons," Hyun shared, a mix of frustration and longing in his voice.

"Ugh, they're horrible. I hope you'll be able to join us one day," Min expressed with genuineness for Hyun's well-being.

Hyun slowly seemed to be getting better. His trembling had subsided, and his words flowed more smoothly. He sat with his back somewhat straight, displaying some confidence, and his breathing became more natural. While his eyes still welled up with tears from time to time, there was a hint of resilience in his gaze. The warmth blanketing his body grew stronger, overshadowing the chill that had gripped him during the peak of his breakdown. Hyun seemed to be on a path toward healing.

"Oh, you're still tearing up. Let me help you," Min offered, tearing a page from his notepad and using it as a make-do tissue. With gentle movements, he leaned in and carefully wiped away the tears from Hyun's eyes and cheeks. As Min's hand came close to Hyun's face, both boys felt a fleeting moment of intensity. Min's heart butterflied, his mind filled with both nerves and a strange sense of exhilaration. Hyun, on the other hand, noticed the notepad and pencil in Min's hand.

"Thanks, Min. Also, I'm sorry for ruining your drawing session. I can leave if you want," Hyun said, apology etched on his face.

"No, no. Please stay. You don't need to apologize," Min told him, offering a warm smile.

"What do you draw? I bet your notepad is filled with cool sketches," Hyun asked, curious to know more about Min's artistic side.

"Nothing really. Just birds and stuff like that. This notepad is a new one, so it's empty," Min replied, downplaying his talent. He believed that sharing his drawings might change the atmosphere, preferring to focus on Hyun instead.

"I guess it's time for me to leave. I'll tell a teacher to take my name off the list and take a quick nap somewhere. I don't think I'll come to school tomorrow. I badly need some rest," Hyun decided, expressing his need for a break.

"I hope you rest well and come back feeling better. If you ever wanna talk about your struggles, I'm always free," Min offered, his support unwavering.

Hyun's signature smile finally emerged, lighting up his face.

"Thank you so much," Hyun expressed his gratitude before surprising Min by leaning forward and embracing him in a heartfelt hug. After a moment, Hyun released the embrace and stood up.

"I'm feeling much better, thanks to you. I'll see you on Friday!" Hyun declared with gratitude in his voice as he stretched his arms. He waved goodbye and walked away, leaving Min in a daze.

"Bye! I hope to see you soon!" Min called out, his voice cracking embarrassingly. He prayed Hyun hadn't heard him.

As minutes passed, Min still felt the lingering effects of the unexpected hug. His legs vibrated uncontrollably, making it impossible for him to draw. He placed his notepad and pencil on the ground, laying his body on the bench, absorbing all that had transpired. Wide-eyed and lost in thought, he appeared like a slender log resting on the bench, drifting into a state of daydreaming.

Meanwhile, Hyun, on his way to one of the classrooms to withdraw from the music festival, felt revitalized after pouring his heart out. He likened himself to a shaken bottle of soda pop, and by opening up and expressing his emotions, he had relieved the built-up pressure. While his situation had seemed dire just fifteen minutes ago, his spirits were now more lifted, and a glimmer of hope emerged, despite the underlying layer of dread and sadness.

Hyun, having completed the process of withdrawing from the music festival, made his way through the playground to reach his classroom. Along the way, he noticed a group of first-graders energetically playing and interacting with one another. The boisterous screams of the children might have been off-putting to some, but Hyun had a soft spot for kids. Intrigued, he decided to postpone his nap and observe their playful antics.

Among the children, Hyun's attention was captured by a little girl with pigtails and bright-colored hairpins. She was fully engrossed in building "sandcastles" using her hands since she lacked a bucket and spade. Despite her messy appearance, with mud on her face, knees, and clothes, she remained determined to create the best sandcastle she could with the resources available to her.

On the other side of the sandbox, a tiny boy in a comparatively cleaner uniform was diligently preparing candy-shaped objects by wetting sand and rolling it into mud spheres. He then placed the mud spheres onto twigs, resembling lollipops. Once finished, he approached the girl with his makeshift treats.

"Look, I made some lollipops. Take one!" the boy eagerly offered.

"Can't you see I'm busy? Also, those are not lollipops," the girl replied, fully focused on her sandcastles.

"Just pretend these are lollipops. Please," the boy persisted, hopeful for the girl's acceptance.

"Fine. Thank you for the lollipop!" the girl responded dismissively, not even glancing at the proffered treats.

"You didn't even take it!" the boy protested.

"I DON'T CARE!" the girl snapped, her words triggering a sudden burst of rage from the seemingly kind-hearted boy. In a fit of anger, he flung his lollipops away and began ruthlessly stomping on the girl's sandcastles.

"What's wrong with you?! Why did you do that?!" the girl exclaimed, clearly hurt and confused.

"I didn't do it. Aliens did it!" the boy retorted, attempting to shift the blame.

"What? Manu, my father told me that aliens are not real," the girl countered.

"I think they're real, Ishi. Why do you and your father think they're not real?" the boy questioned.

"Um...I haven't seen aliens with my own eyes, so I don't think they exist," Ishi explained her rationale.

"Have you ever seen your brain with your own eyes?" Manu challenged her.

"No. Why?" Ishi asked, intrigued by the unexpected question.

"Then I don't think it exists," Manu asserted confidently.

"COME BACK HERE, YOU LOSER!" Ishi exclaimed, her anger now reaching the level of an enraged bison. She charged at Manu, who narrowly evaded her, initiating a chase filled with laughter from the boy and sheer anger from the girl. Hyun was tempted to stay and witness how the situation would unfold, but the sound of the school bell ringing reminded him of his impending tasks. Reluctantly, he left the playground behind and made his way toward his classroom to pack his bag.

0