Volume 3 Synopsis/Sneak Peek/Secondary Project Poll
602 4 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Readers' Vote for Possible Second Story(Read towards end for details)(Not actual book titles)
  • Earth Spirit (features: male lead, slice of life, harem, romance, ecchi, doses of action Votes: 12 40.0%
  • New Beastkin (features: female lead, strong, violent action, dark humor, demihuman Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Hell Knight (features: male lead, grimdark, controversial content, brutality, obscure lore Votes: 6 20.0%
Total voters: 30 · This poll was closed on Jul 3, 2021 08:37 PM.
I decided to put all of this in one upload since I don't want too much that isn't specifically story content. This upload provides a Volume 3 synopsis and a sneak peek.

Information on all three of my possible secondary projects mentioned previously is towards the end. A quick reminder that "Beastkin of GRIM" is still my main focus due to time constraints and my agonizing editing process. Second project schedule, chapter word count, etc. will be influenced by reader feedback and my available time/enthusiasm. *wipes sweat* :D  My plan is for the "Beastkin of GRIM" Volume 3 Prologue to have a public release in a little over a week. Thank you all for the support on my work!

Beastkin of GRIM” Volume 3 Synopsis:

“You provoked this, my foolish son. You created him when you backed him into that corner. I suppose you were right to fear the scouts; but, in the end, you forced him to take the path of the assassin. You may seek my counsel, but I will not clean up your mess."

Nearly six months have passed since the arrival of the humans from Earth. Many of these humans became known as Outworld Adventurers, those who stood against the monster threat ravaging the world of Hovestile. But even with unity between outworlders and natives, Hovestile finds itself susceptible to the corruption of humanity and beastkin alike.

In the Central Kingdom of Tevilandis, the defense of the western border continues as the enemy monster forces prove more ferocious and competent than anticipated. The Northern Kingdom of Xersceld intrudes on Central territory as clear tensions rise within the hostile kingdom's new government. And far to the east, the kingdom of beastkin remains in a state of agitated neutrality and observes the inevitable confrontation.

In the capital city of Forgedalk the enigmatic fox demihuman, Ashliv Diavelia, and Field Master Jin Hanlon form a precarious alliance to infiltrate the city's Citizens' Archive. Their goal: expose Altham Volkest's involvement with the killing of adventurers and ascertain his connection to Xersceld.

At the former village of Lamfell, a dungeon has risen. Lieutenant Ruslin Vasiliev of the guild Forward Earth gathers his party alongside other willing adventurers and Tevilandis's military force. Only through unprecedented cooperation will they be able to survive and discover what lurks within the foul dungeon.

Deep in the labyrinthine dungeons created by the Dysian people of Hovestile's ancient history, the Many-Robed One and his followers finally reach their destination that leads to the surface. But they must first face a powerful foe before enacting the next phase of their plan.

As the threads of these fates intertwine, one small guild finds itself at the center of it all.

Guild Leader Alphonse Kneller – also known as Evan McCarthy – has finally learned to trust in his fellow humans. Kirie and Asa Foirena discover truths of the past that will strain their own loyalty and thirst for revenge. And at long last, the true test of GRIM's members comes to fruition as an old foe appears.

With the arrival of Ashliv Diavelia's old contact from the Shin'ryen, Alphonse will discover the true potential of his honed skills and stats. But will Ash's fears be realized if it should change him for the worse?

Volume 3 Preview (Note: Some content is subject to change):

Alphonse slapped the book shut and reached for the mug of ale sitting towards the center of the table. He took a swig of the lukewarm drink as he thought back on those distant times. Would things have been different if the people back on Earth finished their research on Hovestile's system? What changes would he have made to build himself into who he was? It was clear that the people on Earth had been hasty about sending them to Hovestile before the designated date, but they had lost contact with Earth immediately upon arrival.

The scout stared at the drink in his hand as he lowered it from his lips. He rotated his wrist and swirled the fluid. The small whirlpool he formed was almost hypnotizing -- mesmerizing to the point of uncontrolled, and deceptively willful fixation.

His mind flashed back to the Siren Incident in Forgedalk when the diguised monster, Rachel, had attempted to coax out his secrets. Whatever else she had planned was a mystery, but it was a constant reminder that Hovestile was an unforgiving and dangerous world.

Yes, he reasoned that the outcome would have remained the same. The way he was raised by his father and his inherent caution nurtured from childhood held too much influence. And after Kirie and Asa saved him...

I'll lose my mind if I don't take a break, Alphonse thought. There was only so much preparation he could do until it started being more detrimental than helpful.

He rested the Construct Contract next to him on the booth's seat and masked it with the table, keeping his eyes focused in front of him all the while. He decided to keep the book in its plain physical form. It would seem strange if someone observing him noticed that the book disappeared.

Alphonse glanced to the side and frowned when he noticed that a new individual had entered the tavern. The young woman wore a casual rust-colored dress that fell to just below her knees. Her straight, raven-black hair was cut to just above her shoulders, and she wore a thin braid that hung over one side of her face. A butterfly clip held the style in place and matched her dark green eyes.

Alphonse couldn't place it, but something about the woman felt familiar.

The woman approached his table with calm, yet seemingly restrained steps. It was almost as if she wasn't used to the dress she wore, but it was far from ungraceful. She didn't break eye contact and stopped a few feet from his table and waited patiently for him to acknowledge her.

Alphonse decided to humor her. The familiarity continued to tug at the back of his mind.

“Can I help you with something?” Alphonse asked. He gestured to the chair across from him and was surprised when the young woman disregarded it. Instead, she lithely stepped to the side and chose to sit next to him in his booth seated against the wall. She kept a respectable distance between them, but the awkwardness still had Alphonse instinctively shifting a few extra inches away from her.

She propped her elbows on the table and laced her fingers. “Yes, I believe you can, Mister McCarthy.”

Alphonse didn't betray any further surprise at the statement. “We've met before,” he said. It was a bit of a shot in the dark, but for some reason, he felt certain about it.

“Quite the observation,” the woman said, “Considering how I was wearing a mask at the time.”

It wasn't hard to fit the pieces together. “The eastern demihuman district,” Alphonse said. “You were with the alchemist.”

“It seems you really do value the qualities of an assassin,” she said. She paused as a waitress approached their table and rested a mug down for her.

This simple act spurred Alphonse's thought process.

The woman noticed his questioning look and gave him a half-smile. She teasingly took a sip of her drink and slowly rested the mug on the table. She plainly revelled in Alphonse's impatience as she daintily pressed her fingers against the mug and slid it to the center next to his own. 

"No need to be so tense," she said, returning to her previous pose. "Here is a free lesson. What I utilized is a technique my clan calls selective perception -- a useful tool for when you want certain people aware of you and others oblivious. Sometimes you want people to focus on others as well – sometimes not at all. It all depends on how you interpret the situation.”

Alphonse turned from her and examined the tavern once again. There were nine people total. The area was open with no concealment unless someone hid under a table, and even that was being generous. There was a space behind the bar, of course, but the setup required a person to jump over or use the swinging doors at the shorter end to enter the narrow area. There was only a door leading to the back kitchen. He had also scoped the outside of the place beforehand. The other buildings on all sides hugged too tight for anyone to slip along, so no alleys. A person needed to leave at another street and wrap around to reach the entrance.

Alright, Alphonse thought. Then how did she escape my notice? Did she use an active skill or something? How long-

“Your perception is impressive,” the woman said, interrupting his thoughts. “Most people take much longer to notice me. It took you only ten seconds – just enough time for me to hail the waitress for a drink.”

“Even so, how can you hide from someone that looks directly at you?” Alphonse asked.

“That's not possible,” she answered. “It only works through peripheral vision. I use other means to shift a target's line of sight. You'd be amazed how subtle gestures and body language will influence others to do things involuntarily.”

Alphonse made an attempt to piece together exactly what she was saying. Basically, she used some method to divert his attention so that he would only keep her in his peripheral vision. She influenced whatever was in the room to her advantage that would hold his focus. This kept him occupied by means of this so-called selective perception, which then allowed her to, essentially, conceal herself from him. He thought that he had a pretty good grasp of her explanation; however, it still baffled him. Comprehending it was one thing, but fully understanding how was quite another.

“I can teach you, if you like,” she said.

Alphonse drummed his fingers on the table to hide his consternation at the blunt statement. The offer seemed to come out of nowhere. She met him once at the eastern district in Forgedalk when they fought against the mysterious spellcaster with the other Construct Contract. They exchanged a few words after and then went their separate ways. He wondered if it had something to do with protecting Evelyn. If the woman concealed herself in such a masterful way, then she might have been watching him for who knew how long.

“How rude of me. I haven't introduced myself.” She held her hand out to him. “Mina.”

Alphonse clasped her hand and realized how smooth and delicate it was. She had a solid grip for someone with such a deceptive figure.

Just like Ash, he thought. But it wasn't quite the same.

“Evan McCarthy,” he said after a brief hesitation.

“Nice to finally meet you, Evan. I know it is sudden, but would you consider my offer?”

Alphonse eased his arm on the table and stared at the room that was steadily crowding with more patrons. He expected his guild members and Amelia to show up any minute now. He wondered if he should stall for a bit longer until that time came. Mina spoke in a way that made him feel like he was teetering back on his heels. The conversation wasn't one-sided or confrontational in any way. She spoke matter-of-factly and to the point. Everything they discussed was based on information and nothing necessarily personal.

“Why would you teach me?” he asked.

Mina gave him an appreciative look as she traced the rim of her mug with a finger. When she smiled, Alphonse started to catch on and realized that her expressions were mostly forced. She was good at what she did. Better than good.

“The words of Ashliv Diavelia carry much weight in our organization, even if she is no longer a part of it,” Mina answered. “Our people know how much she despises humans. For her to recommend a human is...unprecedented. And there is also Kureha...”

“Kureha? Why her?” Alphonse asked.

“According to Ash, she has an uncanny ability to read others. She doesn't trust so easily. I sensed something about her in the past, but couldn't quite place it.” She reached into the side of her dress and fished out what appeared to be an envelope. She stared at it for a moment before offering it to him.

Alphonse took the envelope and stared at the blank wax seal. It danced between his fingers as he checked for any slits or breaks on the seal. There was no evidence that someone tampered with the letter inside.

Mina nodded approvingly. “It's from Kureha,” she explained.

Alphonse frowned. Kureha took the time to write me a letter?

He didn't realize that the wolf girl thought of him so fondly. He did feel like they had become friends after his time spent at the tea shop, but sending a letter made him feel even closer to her.

Alphonse was about to ask Mina more about the letter, but he clamped his mouth shut as he watched her drain the rest of her nearly-full mug. He suppressed a chuckle as the strange woman tilted her head further back and finished the ale in a matter of seconds. She rested it on the table carefully and stood to leave. It certainly didn't fit the proper look she was going for.

She noticed his demeanor change and shrugged. “Maintaining multiple personas isn't always second-nature. Sometimes they blend together.”

Alphonse shook his head and reached for his own drink. “You do seem like more of the concise, stoic type.”

Her eyes narrowed for only a split-second at the observation. Alphonse didn't know why he said that. It was as if he could see what was underneath her immaterial mask of personalities. If it was possible now, even just a little bit, he wondered what else he might tap into. Another word she mentioned was prominent from their conversation. She referred to his qualities as those of mostly an "assassin" – not a scout.

Is it my perception? Alphonse wondered. He looked at the slight mounds on her head, partially obscured by a black bandanna. It didn't seem meant to entirely conceal. Perhaps it was for convenience, or to make humans more at ease in the presence of a demihuman if they weren't entirely obvious.

Rabbit ears, Alphonse surmised.

He shook his head and realized that the demihuman had thrown him off-topic. He wondered if this was also a result of the selective perception she spoke of.

“What exactly are these teachings?” Alphonse asked.

Mina gave him one of her half-smiles. “You already know the answer to that. You've been researching us for some time now.” The demihuman turned to leave with a bit of added grace and waved her hand in a farewell. “Don't tarry long. I look forward to working with you.”

Alphonse kept his composure as he watched her lithe form accentuate her statement. He held back the urge to swallow and maintained a neutral countenance.

It really is them, Alphonse thought. The Shin'ryen.

This woman, Mina, was a member of the secret organization he'd learned about nearly a half year ago from Sebastian's daughter, Eve. The research he conducted in Forgedalk turned up more tall tales about the assassin tribe than actual facts, which only lended to their obscurity. And here was one of those assassins with an offer to learn their ways.

Then Ash...was a Shin'ryen assassin...

He looked up just as Mina opened the front entrance of the tavern and stepped aside as a group of individuals entered. She bowed to them and they thanked her for holding the door. Alphonse recognized Kirie as she entered first, followed by the rest of his guild. He found it a strange coincidence that she decided to leave just as his party arrived.

Mina gracefully slipped out after the last person entered.

This concludes the preview of Volume 3...


Future Secondary Project(?):

As I mentioned in my longer author's note, I have a few other stories that have been sitting on the back burner for a while. I write them little by little as a change of pace from "Beastkin of GRIM," but they could potentially turn into something more. Some of these even date back a few years. There's a possibility of a secondary project depending upon how it turns out and the response from readers.

I have decided to leave it up to a poll. Please be aware that this new story will receive editing polish, but it won't necessarily reach the agonizing levels of “Beastkin of GRIM.” This is for me to let loose and try something potentially different. Sometimes, I just need a change of pace, and I figured it would be nice to give one of these a chance on the site. Let's see if this takes us somewhere. :D

Some content is subject to change.

I won't provide the exact titles or a major synopsis, but I will list the basics:

Choice #1: What this story features...

-Main male protagonist

-Competent to powerful

-Harem

-Ecchi

-Fox demihuman shrine maidens (*drool*)

-Action

-Magical powers

-Slice of life

-Romance

Our main protagonist, Masataka Adami, is killed and brought back to life as an Earth Spirit in a world ruled by technological advances. He carries out his work alongside two beautiful fox demihumans. He will also interact with other colorful characters to bring harmony/balance between nature and humans.

Adami begrudgingly agrees to help as the solitary nature spirit but grows sick when getting too close to humans in populated areas. He gets exasperated at times but has a dry sense of humor. He enjoys playing word games and messing with people. He has also forgotten most of his past but still retains knowledge of specialties.

A rival spirit tribe wishes to claim him and is part of the story's mysteries/lore.

Adami interacts with students at the local academy and builds relationships that spark knowledge from previous life.

If you are a fan of anime slice of life, relationship-building, tasteful ecchi (*wink wink*) and doses of action then this might be for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice #2: What this story features...

-Main female demihuman protagonist (*drool*)

-Strong to stronger

-Some brutal violence and gore

-Clever MC mixed with overpowering strength (due to being a special beastkin)

-Dry/dark humor

-Underground organizations and corrupt nobility

-May have ties to “Beastkin of GRIM” (to be determined)

Story follows a demihuman named Melantha. She works with an underground organization in a city ruled by corruption and violence. Magic is heavily suppressed via strategic wards on city walls and overlapping noble house territories.

Stealth, assassination and brute force is prevalent in this story.

Motto: Kill with brutal efficiency.

Melantha's goal: Work up the hierarchy. Why? Well, she has nobody to prove to but herself. This goal will change a bit as plot unfolds.

Her three sisters were born with full powers of their kind. One of them will be chosen as leader of their large tribe based on notoriety. Melantha has no desire to claim this leadership position.

Morally grey character leaning towards antihero. Melantha has a dry sense of humor, a strong sense of loyalty to her closest comrades and is perhaps a little too prideful for her own good. Believes in less talk and more fighting. Too much talking gives a chance for prey to escape. She finds interrogation boring and would rather have someone else take care of it.

Story may take place in the kingdom of Xersceld along the same storyline as “Beastkin of GRIM.” There is some room for adjustments here. To be determined...

If you are a fan of violence, conspiracies, dark humor and bloodthirsty demihumans who kick some ass then this story might be for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Choice #3: I actually can't believe I forgot this one for a bit since this has a few hundred unedited pages thrown together randomly. Haha. I uploaded at one point when I was pretty new to the world of webnovels. A bit may still be on RoyalRoad, but I'm not sure if this is the type of story audiences are looking for. I will still put it here in case.

Title: “Hell Knight: End of Humans”

What this story features...

-Male strong to stronger antihero

-Grimdark

-Dying medieval fantasy world

-Pulls from real history and reinterprets some known texts

-Religious themes with Heaven and Hell/Angels and Demons

-Violence, gore, torture, some possibly disturbing sexual content and sensitive topics

-Reborn from human to powerful being from Hell (rip and tear!)

Kurtis Braech serves his demon mistress, Nanalia, and provides sacrifices to her as he journeys the dead surface world.

He is only the third to ever exist. Hell Knights: beings of strong spirit born of Earth's purity and molded by the instruments of Hell.

Accompanied by the rebellious elf, Noora, and the possession demon, Diolgess, Kurtis journeys into a bleak, fading world to find out who he was and why he committed his self-mutilation.

If you are a fan of grimdark, obscure lore, Dark Souls vibes, brutality and dark humor then this story may be for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Readers may place a vote for which secondary story they want me to focus on in the poll at the beginning of this upload. Again, this will be a secondary project and will receive consideration based on responses to chapters (I have limited time and a life, after all. Lol). I have been working on these for a decent while -- some more than others. Basic outlines are prepared and some chapters need work. We shall see where they go in the future.

Please keep in mind that some of these may undergo slight changes.

Thank you all for the support.

6