Chapter 127: Divine Divertissement
115 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Thorian gazed at the two glaring notifications, his heart missed a beat. A sense of inevitability washed over him; no action of his could alter the path laid out. His destiny, it seemed, was in the hands of higher powers.

[Incompatibility Found]

[System Recalibration Denied]

Thorian's eyes widened as a flood of notifications bombarded him, leaving him staggered. Throughout his decade-long ordeal in the apocalypse, never had he encountered such anomalies. The rapid succession of events left him reeling, each notification a hammer blow to his understanding of the world.

[Lord Attribute Detected in Host]

[System Error Encountered]

[Repeated System Error]

[Insufficient Authority for Decision-Making]

[Elevation to Higher Authority Required]

[Case Escalated to the Aspect High Table]

[Initiating Deliberation Process]

Thorian was initially confused. He was aware of the Aspects—his name for the gods—but the Aspect High Table was unknown to him. However, the tempest of notifications carried a silver lining, a faint glimmer of hope amidst the chaos. This sudden turn of events hinted at a possible reprieve, a chance for a more favorable outcome than he had dreaded.

[Proposal Submitted by ######]

[Commencing Deliberation]

[Initiating Vote Count]

[Unanimous Agreement on Solution Achieved]

[Immediate Implementation of Solution]

[Directive from the Aspect High Table: Maintain a minimum of 25% human governance in vassal states. Non-compliance will result in suspension of vassal appointment privileges. New vassal states would become dungeon lairs and vassal lords would transform into dungeon guardians.]

[Verdict Irrevocable]

Thorian's heart plummeted into the depths of his stomach upon reading the last notification. He was on the brink of succumbing to despair, shoulders sagging, when an unexpected laugh broke through the silence. It began as a small chuckle, but quickly transformed into a wild, manic laughter. Ah, so that's how it is, he mused bitterly. Of course, it was always going to be like this. How could I have expected anything different? Those damned gods... they would make such a choice. It's in their nature, after all!

Gritting his teeth in frustration, Thorian clenched his fists, his anger directed at the divine beings who seemed to find amusement in toying with mortals. He knew their decision was driven by their desire for entertainment; to these gods, the most entertaining path was invariably the one they would choose.

[Congratulations, Thorian Steelblade, you have claimed the Territory Altar. Please choose a name for this village.]

The appearance of the new notification brought a moment of calm. Thorian inhaled deeply, exhaling slowly. Anger and indignation would serve no purpose now. The die had been cast, and the game set in motion. His role was to play it.

His gaze swept the surroundings, finally resting on the cliffside marking the Territory Altar. A shake of his head and a chuckle later, Thorian decided on the name. “Cliffwood," he declared. "The village shall be known as Cliffwood.”

Golden light spilled forth from the Territory Altar, enveloping Thorian and forging a connection that he felt deep within. Another notification appeared before him.

[As you are already a lord of a territory, you must appoint a vassal before the territory system can be fully activated. Once you choose your vassal, they will become the effective lord of this territory. Their access rights will be second only to yours.]

Just as Thorian was absorbing this, another pulse in his consciousness signaled a new, private notification. He focused inward, finding an unexpected message:

[Notification: Sovereign's Dominion Quest Alert]

[Adjustment Triggered: Cosmic Balance Shifted]

[Due to unforeseen intervention by the Aspect High Table, cosmic scales have shifted.]

[Quest Update: Sovereign's Dominion]

[Additional rewards unlocked. Ancient laws of equilibrium activated.

[Reward Disclosure]

[Hidden rewards to be revealed upon quest completion.]

Just what in the names of the gods is happening here?

Thorian’s face was contorted with shock, eyes wide open and mouth agape. In less than a minute, he experienced more twist and turns than one could expect from a lifetime. However, as the shock and surprise faded, a glimmer of hope followed suit. The unexpected turn of events suggested a deeper, more intricate play of forces. The gods, bound by ancient rules, had inadvertently opened a path for him - a chance to gain something perhaps even they hadn't foreseen.

With the cessation of notifications, Thorian found himself standing before the demonic visage of the altar. He did not know what to feel about all of the events that were transpiring to him. His mind was a mess, and his heart was a mix of emotions. In the end, he could only let out a wry smile, turning to face his entourage. Their gazes, filled with concern, met his.

This situation is so unnecessarily complicated. I will just inform them of the first part so as not to confuse them more than they need to be.

Thorian exhaled out a heavy sigh, his voice tinged with a mix of resignation and amusement. "It seems the gods truly do love their games."

Forlune, his brow furrowed in concern, couldn't hide his confusion. "What happened to make you look like that? I've never seen you in such a state."

"Yeah, that was scary," added Ventus, echoing Forlune's sentiment. "What could have possibly happened?"

Thorian scratched the back of his head, a gesture that betrayed his own unease. "The gods have decreed that we need human vassals. A quarter of our vassal lords must be human."

Aqua raised an eyebrow, skepticism clear in her voice. "The gods imposed that rule? How arbitrary and capricious."

Zogarth, meanwhile, seemed lost in thought. He eventually spoke, "My lord, if it's only about filling a position, we could simply capture some humans and force them into servitude."

Thorian shook his head, clarifying the gravity of the situation. "A vassal possesses nearly all the privileges of a lord. They could demolish any building and misuse our resources at will."

Aqua nodded in understanding. "That's a significant risk. Coerced vassals could betray us, sabotaging our defenses at the worst possible moment."

Forlune, ever the hothead, snarled, "Would those cowardly humans even dare such treachery? If they even think of betraying us, I'll slash off their faces with my own blade."

Thorian bit his lip in frustration. While he had numerous arguments against Forlune's rash stance, engaging in fruitless debate was not what they needed. Solutions were what mattered now, not getting bogged down in pointless bickering.

Just then, Oom, always the voice of reason, spoke up. "My lord, may I offer a suggestion?"

Thorian turned towards him, noting the elder's serious demeanor. He knew Oom wouldn't speak unless he had a well-thought-out solution in mind.

"Please do, Elder Oom," Thorian responded with a gravity that commanded the attention of all present.

Elder Oom offered a slight bow, his voice calm yet carrying an undercurrent of certainty. "The key to resolving this dilemma lies in a skill you possess in abundance, my lord. It is diplomacy."

"Diplomacy?!" Forlune's incredulity was palpable, but Thorian quelled any further outburst with a look that could freeze fire. "Forlune, remember your place and let the elder speak."

Chastened, Forlune stepped back, murmuring an apology.

Elder Oom, reassured by the silence, continued. "Human societies are complex, perhaps even more so than ours. They are rife with factions and shifting alliances. My suggestion is to find a faction whose interests we can align with our own."

As Elder Oom spoke, a hushed reverence fell over the group, with none daring to interject. Thorian, meanwhile, considered the proposal thoughtfully. "The issue is the innate animosity between humans and monsters. Our initial quests made that clear. How can we bridge such a fundamental divide?"

Elder Oom nodded, acknowledging the challenge. "True, the gods may have set us against each other, but that doesn't preclude alliances. It's a matter of finding the right humans and aligning our interests with theirs."

Thorian looked to his entourage for their opinions. "What are your thoughts? Is this a viable strategy?"

Zogarth stepped forward, his words measured yet direct. "My lord, with all due respect, this seems overly optimistic. Elder Oom speaks of aligning interests and finding trustworthy humans. But what exactly are these interests? And how can we be sure of finding humans we can trust? Our knowledge of them is limited."

The room fell into a contemplative silence, each member weighing the risks and potential of Elder Oom's proposal against the stark reality outlined by Zogarth.

"I understand," Thorian said, nodding slowly. He stood in contemplative silence, weighing each word and considering their implications. After a moment, he spoke with decisive clarity. "Here is my final decision. Starting tomorrow, we will intensify our scouting within Locksley. I want detailed intelligence on all major players in the city. Their alliances, key figures, objectives - I expect a comprehensive report on these matters before we make our next move."

With Thorian's decision set in stone, Zogarth kneeled, his voice resolute. "We shall execute your orders with the utmost diligence, my lord."

The rest of Thorian's entourage acknowledged the command with respectful bows, all except Forlune, who stood biting his lip in evident shame.

Noting Forlune's inner conflict, Thorian placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Come to my house later. We need to have a private discussion."

Forlune's eyes widened at Thorian's invitation, a mix of emotions rendering him momentarily speechless.

As Forlune grappled with his thoughts, Thorian addressed the rest of the group. "There's nothing more to be done here. Let's return to the village."

The group made swift progress through the forest, with Thorian meticulously gathering every suitable herb for his magus quest. Simultaneously, he honed his skills in elemental mana control and bodily mana enhancement. By the time they arrived back at the village, Thorian had successfully completed all three of his quests.

Having claimed the rewards for his daily quests, Thorian returned to his house to await Forlune. Half an hour later, the moon kobold tentatively knocked on the door.

"You can come in," Thorian called out, even as he fed Harald, who had grown impressively large, chunks of Thumpalope meat.

After Harald devoured the giant rabbit's thigh, Thorian gently stroked his neck. "Could you wait outside for a bit? I need to have a private talk."

"I understand," Harald rumbled, his voice deep and gruff. "But make it quick."

With a reassuring smile, Thorian patted Harald's nape. The creature lumbered out, its massive size making the doorway seem all the more inadequate.

Forlune entered, his head bowed in contrition. "My lord, I’m… I’m sorry."

"Close the door behind you and come closer," Thorian instructed, his tone neutral, bypassing Forlune's apology.

Forlune complied, and Thorian stood to face him. "Forlune, who is the king of this realm?"

Caught off guard by the question, Forlune faltered. "It-it is you, my lord. Of course, it is you."

Thorian nodded slowly, emphasizing his point. "Yes, it's me. I am the king here, not you, not Zogarth, not Oom. The king of this place is me!"

His voice crescendoed with each word, the intensity startling Forlune. After taking a deep breath, Thorian continued, his frustration evident. "So, tell me, why were you speaking out of turn in such a critical discussion, especially when I wasn't addressing you?"

Forlune's demeanor shifted, reflecting a mix of apprehension and realization as he faced Thorian's stern gaze. The air in the room grew heavy with the weight of the impending conversation.

"I'm sorry, my lord," Forlune said, his words tinged with uncertainty. "I—I wasn't thinking."

"Of course, you weren't," Thorian agreed, shaking his head in disappointment. "Because if you had been, you would understand the danger of your actions. Do you realize what happens when a king's commands lose their authority? Chaos, Forlune. That's the outcome."

Thorian stepped closer, his voice measured yet firm. "When you disagree with something I say or a decision I make, you have two options. Object politely then and there, or wait to discuss it privately with me. We can argue all you want behind closed doors, but not in front of the others."

Forlune exhaled, a hint of relief in his breath. "I'll choose the latter, my lord. Politeness doesn't come naturally to me."

A smile almost broke on Thorian's face at Forlune's frank admission, but he composed himself quickly. "Regarding the humans, this wasn't a choice of mine. The gods mandated it." Thorian's gaze met Forlune's squarely. "Now, we face two paths: either incorporate humans into our ranks or abandon any aspirations of expansion. Which path do you favor?"

"I want to continue expanding, my lord," Forlune said, conviction in his voice. "Like you've always said, our goal is to build an empire. That's my dream too."

"That's good to hear," Thorian replied, his tone softening. "Then you understand our course of action. If the humans we integrate align with our values, it's no different than accepting more orcs or goblins. This isn't the first time we've welcomed new species into our fold."

14