Chapter 9: Unravelling
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I found myself drooling on the morning of Friday. The beanbags have decompressed to half its original size. My papers are messily strewn across the floor now. With some on top of others, they are no longer in order. The door exiting the leisure room remains tightly shut.

There is no clock in the room so I check my smartphone for the time. It is six-thirty am. My appointment is at eight. I roll open up the grey curtains and look out into the greenery filled backdrop of the cityscape. There the opaque and reflective buildings are dark before the sun rises.

A few cars are seen on the roads. The traffic lights churn on as usual. A group of early risers crosses the road across my building. A garbage truck sweeps through and cleans the streets of litter. Most if not all the stores on the ground floor is shut. The stars still twinkle at this time of the day; with the moon nowhere to be found. 

I let out a huge yawn before getting up to stretch my legs which are still asleep. The air conditioner whirring noisily can be heard concentrating in the room. Just on time, I thought. My phone alarm rings just ten minutes later.

The alleyway is as cold as the leisure room. Long and unlit, it leads to cubicles that are unblocked. The floor is a carpeted bright yellow.  And the walls are made of a durable plastic mould made from 3D printing. The file cabinets that line the walls contains important documentations on previous clients and projects. The desks are filled up to the brim with paperwork; indicating the company has a long backlog of work to be completed and is in good financial shape. Some desks have mini lamps, cartoon dehumidifiers and even mini bars filled with snacks and drinks.

My favourite one is the Final Fantasy XIII mini bar that belongs to a avid colleague situated at the rightmost of the office. Since the fridges are not locked, I sneakily grabbed a cold cola from the nearest one. Hopefully, they will not notice.

 

0