Interlude: Divya
352 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
These interludes take place at the beginning of the story, at the same time as chapter 1.

Divya Singh breathed the fresh, clean air as she looked around the weird, shining city she found herself in. Mountains extended above the buildings, towering high, blocking the horizon.

She recalled her last memories before waking up here, alone. Her boss had ignored her warnings, like he had often ignored her. He had everything and her nothing, but he neglected what he owned and let it deteriorate. She wondered how many of her coworkers, her friends, had died with her when the old boiler blew.

She hadn’t died immediately, but had been scalded by compressed steam and thrown through a window, crashing into their work truck parked just outside. It had been a painful death.

She wondered briefly why Lord Yama had reincarnated her here. It was clearly not Earth, but also nothing like what she had believed about Swarga or Narak.

The local people were short and stocky, with heavy beards and muscular arms. Even the women. She thought they were women, anyway. Their skin was different earth shades of grays and browns. She knew she would stand out, being both taller and darker skinned. She briefly wished she could fit in better -- be normal, be accepted.

There were also strange looking people with animal characteristics. Their ears and tails were the most noticeable, but many of them had animal feet without shoes and their bodies seemed covered with fur as well. 

The streets were crowded, with the strange people, but the crowds were nothing like Bahraich. Everything was peaceful and clean.

Swarga or Narak? Heaven or Hell? Reward or punishment? Nothing was clear.

A cool breeze caressed her body and she glanced down, realizing she was naked. She covered herself with her hands and wished she had something nice to wear, like the fine silks the animal-like people around her wore. Even if she just had fur, like most of them, she wouldn’t be so cold.

So she had been reincarnated, as an adult in her own body, but had nothing. Not even a sheet to cover herself with. What kind of cruel joke was this? It must mean punishment, a Narak realm.

But there was one change that she could feel, a change in her soul. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the the feeling, on the difference. It took a moment before she realized she was semi-divine, a Naga, and she was clearly here for a reason. Maybe this was a reward then, even if she was sent to a lower realm, a rise in status and a mission beyond the menial work, which had been all she was permitted to do on Earth, was still better than her previous life.

“That house should be yours,” a voice whispered. "The owner doesn't deserve it."

She glanced around, but there was no one nearby.

The mysterious voice continued, “The one on the hill. The owner doesn't deserve it, but you do. Especially after what you’ve been through. It will be your first reward. You can find nice clothes there as well.”

She looked up the cobblestone street to see a large, two story house decorated in bright reds and yellows, on a small rise just inside the city walls. There was a decorative brick privacy fence around it, but it couldn’t keep her out.

She shifted into a cobra form and slithered toward a gap in the red brick floral pattern.

Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you have a great one, whether you're in a relationship or not. Have some chocolate and pamper yourself.  :)

If I had planned ahead better, maybe I could have scheduled a romantic scene today. Alas.

I'm not really all that familiar with Hindu beliefs. It doesn't play a huge role in the story, but I wanted characters from other cultures and I thought this fit the role. If I've made any mistakes with my depiction, please let me know.  Thanks.

The other Champions are all from different countries as well, but most won't bring religion into the story.

Thanks for reading,
-a

8