My New Boss Chapter Sixteen
264 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enveloped in the icy void, a profound transformation began within me. The child's presence, now a part of me, unleashed a cascade of emotions and memories, not all my own. Images of distant worlds, other realities, battles fought with machines akin to those in the silo and faces of people unknown to me flashed through my mind. It was a wealth of sights d that overwhelmed my mind, body, and soul. This was something different, something akin to paranormal anomalies, supernatural powers, preternatural feats. A mixture of nature and nature. A fusion of science, technology, and magic.

Ancient forces had endowed me with this fate that is well beyond my current understanding. My mind wrestled with this new perception and way of thinking. I have been exposed to the unseen world, and there was no turning back now. Momentarily, my thoughts drifted back to my family. My Dad, my two brothers identical to me, and my mom. 'How would this affect them?'

I floated in the confines of my own mind in what felt like an eternity. My thoughts were racing at insane speeds, bringing new meaning to the notion of "speed of thought." I could feel the outside world, the real world, yet I felt so many different things that I couldn't understand now. The state I was in was like an out-of-body experience. Like I was sleepwalking and walking while fully awake in some alternate plane. I could sense the spirit within me. The child resided in my inner world. That was the only way I could make sense of where this supernatural being inhabited by me was; it's new vessel. This child, this spirit incarnated into corporal form, had been waiting for someone like me. A person that was compatible with its essence and energy. I was a vessel now for whatever this child, this spirit was meant for.

Then, like a switch had been flipped, I began to sense my body again. It was like a veil being lifted, as if I had been zoning out, but now I was regaining my senses. I sat up; my head felt light, and my mind groggy. Evie, Aubriana, Annabelle, and Violet stood around me. The sphere was now empty; the blue sparkling fluid was gone. There was no trace that the substance even existed now.

The four women, their expressions a blend of anticipation and solemnity, watched as I struggled to comprehend this new reality. Violet stepped forward, her hand reaching out as if to steady me. "You're awakening," she said, her voice a blend of warmth and authority.

The chamber, once a place of mystery, now felt like a crucible of change. I could feel the power of the spirit within me, an energy that was both exhilarating and overwhelming. The child's essence, intertwined with my own, brought a clarity and understanding I had never known. I was no longer just Nishimoto Rin; I was something more. Violet pulled me to my feet, and she steadied me as she did.

Evie approached, her eyes reflecting the lime-green glow. "You are one of us now, a protector," she explained. "The Valkyrie's spirit is ancient, powerful. You have been chosen to carry its legacy."

"Valkyrie's spirit???" I mumbled, rubbing my forehead.

Annabelle and Aubriana nodded in agreement; their faces illuminated by the soft glow of the chamber. "We've been preparing for this moment," Annabelle added. "With Doctor Blair's and Doctor Morishita's help."

"The world outside is in turmoil. Your awakening is the key to restoring balance," Aubriana whispered. "An ancient yet alien force threatens our world."

"This is why we were chosen. The reason we endured. Why so many before us sacrificed ourselves to reach this point," Violet said, her voice tinged with sorrow.

"What do you mean, sacrificed?" I asked, still reeling from the child entering my body.

"The woman that Violet told you about was one of our predecessors. She was our mentor and teacher," Evie revealed. "She didn't make it after Director Eto... changed."

This new piece of information was crucial. It revealed a lot about what happened here.

"Something happened to him. A force overtook his mind and soul for a few months," Violet said.

Aubriana's gaze was firm yet comforting. "You'll understand in time. For now, let's leave this place. There's much to be done."

I had more questions, but I had the elevator platform roar to life, ascending.

"That man must have found a way in. We have to launch now," Violet urged.

"Lauch what?" I asked.

"The VARU units," Evie said.

"The five Valkyrie Assault and Reconnaissance Unit you saw in the previous chamber," Aubriana said.

As I took a step forward, I felt a newfound strength coursing through me. The coldness that had once threatened to consume me was now a source of power. The sphere that had held the child was now empty, its purpose fulfilled. We couldn't let Director Helms obtain these hulking machines.

We exited the small chamber, the corridor leading us to the previous vast chamber where the VARU units were. I looked at the five gigantic multi-story machines. Each was distinctive in its own way. Violet took my hand and led me to the bay marked AX-00. She looked me in the eyes.

"This was her machine, Raijin AX-00. You are its master now," Violet said.

"You must take it and leave this place," Annebelle said.

"The Doctors prepared us for this situation," Aubriana said.

"We'll guide you to the hidden base they prepared," Violet said.

I only nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. This technology was, in a sense, Horizon Industries, but at the same time, Director Helms had more nefarious motives. Just then, my radio came to life.

"Rin, this is Saylor. Director Vance and Director Momota's security forces have arrived. But some of Director Helm's men managed to breach the hidden vault. I didn't know if you found the child yet, but you have to get out of there now," Saylor said, her voice urgent.

A moment later, the radio cut out. Helms must be jamming communications now. I looked at Aurbiana, Violet, Evie, and Annabelle. "Okay, it's time to go," I said.

The world above was unaware of the transformation that had taken place below. As if something was guiding me from within. I went to a small platform inside the bay while the others hurried off to their respective bays. I punched in a code that triggered the elevator to life. As the small lift ascended, I could hear a loud and powerful bang at the vast vault door that sealed this cavern.

Once at the top near the back of the massive head, a small back contained a sleek, black, and blue striped jumpsuit. I didn't waste time putting the metallic and synthetic-like suit on as another loud crash shook the chamber. The suit conformed to the body like a glove. I could feel some sort of connection with the suit. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my head.

"VARU Flight integration successful with user. Nanites fabricating neural port in progress. Please standby...," the voice said.

The base of my neck started to itch, then burned slightly. I wanted to reach back to see what was causing the discomfort, but I already knew. That blue shimmering liquid was more than some supernatural miasma or ectoplasm; the field was full of nanobots.

"Neural port complete. Downloading S.I., please standby...," the voice said.

'Suit Intelligence? Is that something like Artificial Intelligence?'

"Downloading successful, AX-00 Anonymity installed, and AX-00 S.I Callisto installed. The user is ready to operate the VARU Metal Raijin AX-00. Please proceed to the cockpit and prepare for the emergency launch," the voice said.

I immediately felt what the voice was. That voice was Anonymity. I already knew what I needed to do next. Gathering my clothes and gear, I headed to the cockpit access. Just as I approached the access door, another louder explosion rocked the chamber. The sound of something big collapsing got my body in gear. I entered the code instinctively and entered the cockpit. There wasn't time to familiarize myself with any of the controls; I was on autopilot. I jumped into the pilot's seat, ignoring the forward seat's configuration. The system came online. Something was inserted into the port on my neck, and it was like my mind was connected to the massive machine. As it came to life, I could feel everything like it was my own body.

The viewport opened just in time to see the giant vault doors collapse entirely. Soldiers rushed in and began firing at each of the bays. They were like ants at this point, but something else was behind them, something big. The other four bays began their emergency launches, and I witnessed each bay fill with fire and exhaust as they propelled to the surface. I felt my own unit's emergency launch triggering just as this giant hulking machine broke into the chamber behind the tiny soldiers. The lumbering machine pointed its giant arms at my bay, but before it could do anything, I felt the launch thrust ignite. The g-force was immediate as I sank back into the seat.

As we ascended, I knew my life had irrevocably changed. The Valkyrie's power within me was a responsibility I had never sought, yet I felt ready to embrace it. The facility, once a labyrinth of secrets, now felt like a familiar path. The doors that had once seemed daunting opened effortlessly before us as if recognizing the change within me.

It only took seconds to reach the surface. As I emerged into the daylight, the reality of the world outside hit me. The sky was overcast, a reflection of the troubled times. Four exhaust trails ascended into the heavens as I, too, followed them higher. The feeling of the weight of the Valkyrie's presence within me.

I searched my mind for answers, but there was so much to process the answers alluded to. I nodded, feeling the weight of the Valkyrie's presence within me. "I am," I whispered to myself, my voice steady. "I'm ready to face whatever comes next."

7