I got Reincarnated but My Wife is Now My Mother! Chapter Five
1.4k 8 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orzella, Elene, and Nella all line up outside the room in the hallway. They wore elegant blue gowns with black corsets. I could tell they were black hosiery with those brown-heeled boots. Each has their long black hair styled to their unique looks. Orzella, hair is braided into a long ponytail. Nella has twin buns for her style. Elene went with twin pigtails. She was the only one of the three wearing glasses. I hadn't known this practical tool was even available in this era.

In my old world, this would have been an accessory to many people who didn't need them. Now, they look like perfect angels compared to their previous attire. I was amazed at their beauty. 'I made the right decision. I didn't know those other four young men or those who died during the attack. What I will do is honor their memory by protecting these three. So they won't have to resort to such things again as thievery.'

"Looks like you're ready. Come on, I heard this would be a long trip," I said.

"Yes, Milord," they said in unison.

'There's a way they can be useful. I'll figure it out. An opportunity they can take advantage of. Every person should have a skill they can use later in life.' They fell in line behind me. It didn't feel right for all these people to follow me, but I was the Count's son. That wasn't going to change anytime soon. Now, I need to make my way to the inner courtyard.

The brief trip through the Castle gave me a better understanding of the layout. Having memories helped, but seeing them for myself was helpful. Lady Aiko and Count Asa are waiting together with Sir Duncan and Josiah. Lord Alfred was there with them, too. He's assembled an impressive caravan. This time a company of our House Guards is escorting us all the way to the Capital. Sir Duncan walks up to me. His armor is different now, matching that of Sir Josiah—a shining white clad of armor with golden outlines. The coat over their chest is the symbol of the Kingdom of Paris. I noticed a dozen other Knights waiting with our House Guard.

"Isn't this a bit overboard for a simple trip to the Capital?" I questioned.

My inquiry is valid. I recall traveling there many times. Yes, the trip is a lengthy undertaking, given that our lands are far from the core of the Kingdom. However, neither of those trips involved a small army of this size.

"I see that you are well, young master. Your performance yesterday evening is the cause for all this protection. I am impressed with your development. To manifest a magic aptitude at your age is magnificent. Not only that, but all your hard work has paid off. The duel we had yesterday proves my opinion that you have what it takes to become a Knight. For that, you get your own horse," Sir Duncan said.

The blonde Knight held the reins of a beautiful black horse of the highest breed. He gave the reins.

"This is Raven. According to my knowledge, she is the fastest horse in the Kingdom for a young Lord," Sir Duncan said.

"I don't know what to say," I said.

"You only need to take good care of her. Now, it's time to depart. The trip is a long one to the Capital," Sir Duncan said as Sir Josiah beckoned the caravan to be ready.

I rode the horse for the first time. It feels familiar. All those stunts I did with horses came back to me. When I rub Raven's mane, it is as if the horse already knows me. Count Asa rides up beside me. Lady Aiko boards her personal carriage. I can't say I was ready for a long journey in a world I barely know, but I'll face it head-on. The convoy rustles to life. Two columns of House Guards rode out on black horses with a dozen Royal Knights behind them. Sir Duncan and Josiah fell in, behind the warriors, with Count Asa, me, and Lady Aiko's carriage. One hundred House Warriors march behind her carriage, followed by seven other carriages. Leading the way is Lord Alfred, accompanied by a group of hoods. Those must be the Guild Mages.

I see the Castle for the first time when the gates open. The White stoned architecture is stunning and majestic. The towers flew the banners of our House use and the Kingdom. A massive crowd of servants bid us farewell. Many seem to shed tears at the departure of a beloved Count. In my mind, I remembered how quickly he enacted justice for those four poor souls. Yet, as we enter the city, more people cheer for Count Asa and Lord Alfred. They wave and call both men's names respectfully.

The settlement itself, called Annedale, is breathtakingly beautiful. The city boasts a multitude of structures that exhibit similar architectural styles. My memories alone bring images of every inch of the magnificent city. Here, there are no slums. Even the typical people experiencing poverty here were well-to-do, considering that to be unusual in the medieval era. It begs the question of where Orzella and her sisters come from.

Annedale is one of many major cities in this region. Allendale, Winterdale, Ellendale, and Primdale are the diamonds of the Martindale family. I knew this region like the back of my hand. Three other grand families rule this region. House Cardoza, Winfield, and McElroy. All branch families to the King like our family. There are so many details about my family and the local area in my head, but that is all I have to say about them. Outside the four cardinal mountain ranges, I knew nothing. I've been to the Capital before, many times. Yet, nowhere else. Was that because my family held great sway in this walled peninsula?' I rode up next to Sir Josiah.

"I have a question. What's outside the cardinal mountains?" I questioned.

"Hmm, that is an interesting question, Milord. The truth is, we don't know. The Golden Peninsula is the westernmost reach of the Kingdom. To the North are the cardinal mountains known as the Frozen Expanse. They are impassable for two hundred leagues. The west is the same as the Black Rock Spire. To the south are the Deep Mountains. They sit at the edge of the Black Ocean, the world's deepest, most dangerous ocean—only fools and the insanely brave tread those waters. Finally, the east is the home of the Iron Rock Range. The only passage to the east into the heart of the Kingdom," Sir Josiah explained.

"No one's tried traveling past them? Not even with magic?" I asked.

"Many have Milord, and many have never returned," the Knight said.

'That was unpleasant news. My whole world, up to now, has known nothing beyond the three unknown frontiers surrounding my homeland. A very unsettling prospect. This land is abundantly rich, yet an air of mystery surrounds it.' Then, finally, the walls of the city come into view. Hundreds of feet high curtain walls surround the region's Capital. I almost didn't notice between listening to Sir Josiah and the cheers and chants of the enthralled citizens. As we pass through the enormous gates, the grandeur of this city becomes apparent. Hundreds wait outside to enter as hundreds more leaves in front and behind our convoy.

Outside the walls, the city continues. In fact, we passed through three more of these indomitable walls before finally exiting the medieval metropolis. There had to be well over a million people living here. Maybe even millions. After this is straight farmland and forests as far as the eyes can see, and the bright paved road seems to go on into infinity. It was well-kept, and we traveled. This Kingdom must be insanely prosperous. The present moment is brought back to my attention as the caravan halts. Lord Alfred rides back to where Count Asa and I are.

"Milord, there is an unexpected yet pleasant surprise on the road ahead," the Lord said.

He hands me this black object. Count Asa pulls one out for himself and puts it into one of his eyes. 'Ah, a looking scope.' I do the same and look through the 'looking scope' in the same direction. Ahead on the horizon were the banners for House Martindale. Another convoy was coming this way.

"Looks like my girls are making a surprise visit. It is around time for the Academy to take a short break. I wonder which of them has returned?" Count Asa revealed.

"Perfect timing indeed," Lord Alfred said. 

16