Arai 11-Epilogue
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Power

Jake rode through the town going unchallenged as his group made their way to the power plant.

They dismounted just a short distance away from the power plant built almost across the river. Construction had been halted due to the virus outbreak all those years ago so it didn't quite fully connect to the other side. Razor wire prevented Cannibals from using the steel supports as means to climb up on the far side.

Jake saw the extra shield poles placed not far from the building's corners. New concrete spanned the area for a good ten feet around the poles. There were groups of guards hanging around or patrolling the grounds.

Not exactly the most alert group. ” Deputy Brown said in a low voice looking at the men smoking homemade weed and even drinking moonshine.

Strange, they seem to be waiting. Maybe, some of his men are not here yet. ” Jake said glancing over those he could see.

No telling how many are inside. ” Jessica said watching as a few of the men went on patrol.

Okay, Jessica. Give us a little cover. You led us inside and everyone else hands on shoulders or touching backs. ” Jake said preparing himself to walk in total darkness.

Jessica raised her hands and something like dark blue smoke appear then grew incredible fast. At night it looked black and soon everyone was engulfed in it hidden from sight.

Anyone loses physical contact. Call out softly in a low tone. Avoid whispers. ” Jake said and they moved out in a line. They were a mixture of law enforcement and some of John's friends.

Jake didn't see it, but he heard the side door they were aiming for open suddenly.

What the fu....” A male voice said then was cut off into choking gurgles. There was a soft thump and Jake felt the change of air pressure as he entered into the building. There was a deep humming sound of a turbine a level or two below them.

Jessica dismissed her power and Jake saw the body of a man on the ground. His throat had been cut and there was a bloody knife in Jessica's hand.

There's one of the bastards that shot us. ” Jessica said looking at Deputy Brown who gave her a grim sort of nod. Jake barely looked at the dead man before speaking.

Just as we planned. My team is going for the control room. Deputy Brown is the second team leader until I return. Jessica is next in rank. ” Jake said and took half of John's buddies with him.

It wasn't long until Jake had to shoot a man himself. He was an armed guard coming down some stairs. Jake had rounded a corner and didn't pause in his actions. Somewhere, behind him in a far off part of the power plant he heard distant pops. The fight for the power plant had started.

Jake could just picture Jessica using her gift to blind the bad guys in a blue cloud of darkness. Trapped in total darkness they be firing wildly or stumbling out to be picked off by gun fire.

Jake went first since bullets weren't really a problem for him. At close range they hurt, but didn't fully pierce his skin. Jake only worried about getting shot at by a laser bolt or someone with a very sharp knife. He had his answer a minute later when a lucky panicked shot hit him in the shoulder. They were moving past some heavy looking machines when they got spotted by a small group of guards.

It's the Sheriff. Tell the others. ” A man yelled to someone else and Jake could hear running footsteps. A few more laser bolts hit the large machines around them.

Jake's shoulder burned, but a minute later the pain faded. The healing process was taking affect.

Cover fire. ” Jake ordered and dashed out to take a position on the other side of the heavy machine they were using as cover.

In time they picked off the few who stayed behind to delay them.

Control room is this way. ” Jake said deciding now was the best time to take it.

Jake went first and burst into the control room just in time to see Brooks pull down a large lever then fleeing out of another door. Jake took a pop shot at him the laser bolt glancing Brooks arm. The coward scream with pain, but he disappeared around the corner. Workers coward under their stations or stayed seated with their hands up.

Jake heard the power increasing then screaming coming from a speaker. Jake saw a set of camera monitors that barely worked these days. Not far from this room on the screen. Jake saw the small chamber Victor had built to absorb his power just in case the dam ever had to be shut down. In theory, Victor could keep the shield wall going for a few hours while repairs were being made.

Jake went to the lever and flipped it back up and Victor's screaming stopped. Jake had a nasty feeling that nearly all of the dam power had been channeled back into Victor.

Jake wasted no time running for the chamber and opened the door.

Victor was crackling with power all over his skin. Jake suspected that Brooks just attempted to kill Victor by over loading him with raw energy.

Part of the shield wall is down. I can feel it from here. I need to go there and plug up the hole. ” Victor said and even his voice had a buzzing sound to it. Victor stepped out and Jake backed away letting the man have his space.

We got horses just down the road or we can use the horses Brooks people must have here somewhere. ” Jake said and watched as Victor waved him off.

No need. I been keeping this trick a secret for years. ” Victor said and Jake watched as Victor lifted into the air.

Raising his right hand Victor shot a bolt of power toward the window and it exploded outward. Victor flew out the window a moment later almost superman style.

Fucking bastard can fly. ” Jake said to himself and should have seen it sooner. Victor rarely used or wanted a horse. Jake had always assumed he walked the length of the shield wall.

Jake returned to the control room and found the intercom system.

Brooks has fled. Surrender your weapons or be killed. ” Jake said several times.

It wasn't long until Jessica and Deputy Brown joined him.

Deputy, your in charge here. Have these guys activate those shield poles just outside this building in fifth-teen minutes. I will leave half of the men here to watch the prisoners. ” Jake said waving a hand toward the workers that slowly returned to their stations.

I'm coming with you boss. By now, the Cannibals must be in the town. ” Jessica said and Jake nodded. His deputy gave Jessica a concern look, but said nothing. Jake knew when this was over there would be a good chance his deputy would be a married man soon enough.

Deputy Brown and Jessica had spent a lot of time alone in that basement.

Jake wasn't looking forward to seeing people he knew dead in the town streets, but he had a town to defend. Brooks would have to wait another day.

Across town and nearly on top of a hill the defenders of the school were being hard pressed now.

Their ammo supply of bullets were gone now. They were down to melee weapons and laser pistols.

More shooters to the back ! Those with hand weapons to the first floor windows. ” someone half yelled in the hallway just outside the room Ruth was waiting in.

That leaves fewer people out front. ” Ruth said watching as those defending the main doors were being told to go back inside.

We can help. ” Joel said looking at her then back at the door they had locked.

Go, I will keep using my power from here. ” Henry said.

Ruth nodded and together they went down the stairs.

They nearly collided with two of the school teachers. Eugene West and Leon Beaut. Both men were carrying fire axes. Eugene West had a small bag full of dark bottles with corks firmly in place.

Ruth and Joel Brooks? ” Eugene asked looking at Joel with real surprise.

Where do you think you two are going? ” Mister Beaut said giving them his sternest teacher glare he had.

We can fight. ” Joel said and barely a second passed when Joel covered himself in his medieval armor once more.

Preacher's son has a power. ” Eugene West said a bit startled.

Yeah and I'm like my dad now. ” Ruth said holding her short spear a little tighter.

We can't stop them and fight the Cannibals at the same time. ” Eugene said realizing it was pointless to try.

Very well. Stay close. Mrs. Rose Filnor will protect the children with help from the other teachers. ” Leon Beaut said and together they walked toward the front doors.

Joel summoned a set of katana looking swords and walked straight out into the open.

What power is that? ” Eugene West asked Ruth. Eugene was racking his own head for the answer.

He can make things from energy. ” Ruth explained and watched as Joel starting stabbing and cutting down the Cannibals that came out of the darkness into the flood lights pool of light.

It wasn't long until Ruth had to kill one at close range. Just as Ruth was about to be rushed by three of them. A chain seemed to snake out of the darkness taking one Cannibal down to the ground.

Ruth watched as Evelyn appeared killing the second with some type of hooked blade weapon.

Ruth used her spear to take down the female Cannibal in the small group.

Awesome weapon. ” Ruth said watching as Evelyn finished the cannibal with a kick that most likely broke his neck.

More are coming. ” Evelyn said and ready herself by swinging the chain in a vertical motion.

Any other little girl like Ruth might have trouble killing someone who was once human. Ruth had a fire in her soul to end every single Cannibal's life that she saw still breathing.

Ruth was busy killing and defending herself to notice the utter chaos around her. At some point Eugene West started hurling some of those dark glass bottles of his.

When the bottles broke on a Cannibal he started screaming in pain as the chemicals started to burn his ragged clothing or exposed skin.

One unlucky Cannibal got hit just as he was about to throw a wood burning torch in Ruth's direction. The Cannibal caught on fire then stumbled inside the wood shed. Soon enough the little opened building started to burn like a pile of dry twigs.

The Cannibals were streaming around Joel to rush the front doors. The weapons were unable to get past the boy's armor.

There was ear splitting roar that cut over all the noise and a bat like monster descended from the dark sky.

Ruth had heard of Maggie and her creature known as a Leather-Wing.

Lord of Light help us. I heard what happen in town, but the sheer size of it. ” Eugene West said taking a stun step back.

They are on our side. ” Ruth said loudly watching as the woman rider dismounted firing her laser pistol as she was sliding down. Her Leather-Wing charged forward defending the left side as Joel took up the right side close to the burning wood shed.

Maggie retreated from her Leather-Wing firing away as she went until she joined the others behind the make shift barriers. A curious upright lizard like creature seemed to be close to her side. Ruth noticed the way it moved that it had to be like Evelyn. A very advance robot by design.

Maggie Penn, I'm here to help. That beautiful boy out there is Gray-Wing. This machine creature at my feet is called Claw. ” Maggie said in greetings to the adults and smiled at Ruth. Maggie return her attention to the attacking Cannibals.

The only other time Maggie looked back during the fight when she saw one Cannibal freaking out over ghostly snakes wrapped around his limbs. Maggie spotted Henry in the upper window and gave him a little salute. With a grim look on her face she made every shot count.

Joel!” Ruth yelled seeing his power fading now. Even the heat from the shed wasn't enough to keep him fueled up.

One rather large Cannibal grabbed Joel by the arm and his shirt. Ruth watched as Joel was tossed into the infernal that once been the school's wood shed.

The grinning Cannibal didn't have long to relish in his act for very long. Gray-Wing bit into the large Cannibal's mid section then tossed him into the darkness. The Cannibal's guts arcing through the air. Maybe, her or her father could have survived such a throw, but Ruth knew that Cannibal was good as dead.

With horror Ruth watched as the Leather-Wing was being swarm. Knives, daggers, and other various sharp weapons were plunged into the winged creature. Ruth was reminded of ants swarming over a larger creature.

You fucking bastards. ” Maggie screamed with rage and started to pick off those she could.

Evelyn was trying her best as well to help. Gray-Wing's movements slowed and he was killing fewer Cannibals as he bled out.

The blazing shed suddenly died away. A pair of whips appearing to be made from pure fire lanced out pulling Cannibals off of the Leather-Wing killing them as it wrapped around their necks.

Ruth could hear their flesh sizzling from where she stood.

Joel walked out from the blacken ruins of the shed. He now glowed a combination of red and orange. Ruth understood what had happen. He had absorbed the fire into his own body. His clothes were a bit burnt in places, but his skin looked untouched say for a few scratches already healing up.

More Cannibals came at them and Ruth knew it was far too many now. Joel reformed his whips into katana blades once more and started cutting them down, but they were swarming around him heading for the school once more.

Looks like this is it. ” Eugene West said and got a smile from his fellow co-worker.

Laser bolts suddenly shot out from behind the cannibals. Catching the Cannibals from the left and right. Ruth saw this was done to avoid any friendly fire from hitting them.

Joel had back away from the open center and standing in front of Ruth protecting her. Clearly, he thought maybe his father had returned for his son.

Friendlies. ” Jake called out from the darkness and Ruth smiled at the sight of her dad walking out with Jessica. Behind them were a mixed of town folks and John's little army.

Good news. We have cleared the town and we got riders sweeping the country side. Sorry, it took us this long to get here. ” Jessica called out to everyone in earshot.

Ruth heard the windows rattle behind her and cheering screams of her classmates. Ruth had a feeling her classmates had been watching the entire time. Joel had back away from the open center and standing next to Ruth almost in a protective manner.

There was a crackle of light and Victor flew down from the dark sky.

Ruth's mouth was hanging open.

Uncle Victor, you can fly now? ” Ruth asked a bit shocked.

Actually, since I got my powers I could fly. I had to hold back at least one little secret. ” Victor said and looked at Ruth's clothing. Clearly, he saw the damage from various attempts Cannibals did to harm her.

I got my power. I'm like you, daddy. ” Ruth said as Jake came forward and gave his daughter a good long bear hug.

Baby Ruth, I missed you. ” Jake said picking her up to swing her around once.

Ruth was laughing with delight.

Impressive power, young man. I saw a bit of it from the air. ” Victor said looking at Joel with an appraising eye. Victor had summoned a small ball of crackling energy into his palm. For a normal person it would have given them a nasty shock if touched.

Joel raised his hand and the ball of energy disappeared into his fingers.

Yeah, I think so too. ” Joel said with a smirk.

You did real good here, young man. ” Sheriff Jake said and his attention was turned to Maggie who walked past him almost in a daze.

Slowly the school was emptying of adults and children as they gathered around in a loose ring with the Leather-Wing in the center. The sight of such a creature had drawn them out now the fighting was over with.

Gray-Wing was still breathing, but it was labored and getting slower. The Leather-wing's blood soaking into the ground.

Tears were streaming down Maggie's eyes as she knelt at his head.

You were wonderful. You saved so many children today. ” Maggie's voice said in the near silence.

Jake moved and knelt beside Maggie. Ruby and Henry soon join them.

We owe you a debt that we can never truly repay. ” Jake said and reached out stroking Gray-Wing's head.

Ruth watched as the Leather-Wing's large intelligent eyes looked at each of them. They settled on Maggie's face and a sense of peaceful calm could be seen. Gray-Wing shut his eyes for the final time. A few moments later the Leather-Wing's breathing stopped.

Mrs. Filnor. Your husband didn't make it. You will be proud to know that he killed more then his fair share defending the town. ” Jake said standing and facing Mrs. Rose Filnor who had her teenage daughter next to her. They dropped the hammers they had been holding.

There was prolong silence. The daughter burst into tears and had to be hugged by her mother for a father who would never come home. Ruth found her own face wet with tears for Mr. Filnor, Gray-Wing and others she didn't know about just yet.

Ruth understood what it truly meant when her books talked about the horrors of war. Victor was next to speak in the silence.

Sheriff, I got some news you need to hear about. When I closed the gap and righted the shield pole back into place. I saw a person on horse back toward the back of the horde of Cannibals. ” Victor said.

We have seen a cannibal ride horses before. It's rare considering they eat them more often then not. ” Jake said back to him.

This guy wasn't a Cannibal. For one thing, his skin wasn't gray and he seem to be controlling them. I could feel him inside my mind. I think normal or powered people are beyond his control. I'm going after him to tear him a new one. This Cannibal King needs to be taken care of. ” Victor said making it known he was leaving the town soon.

Add Preacher Brooks to your list. He got away through the shield gate. Some of his buddies fled too, but I could care less at this point about his fair weather friends. ” Jake said.

Let me go with you. A lot of this could have been avoided if my father hadn't taken over the town. ” Joel said and step closer to Victor.

I could use a handy sidekick. ” Victor teased rubbing his own chin and finally nodding.

A week later, Ruth had given Joel a farewell kiss before he rode off with Victor.

Before the first snow fell on the town a month later. Nearly all of the damage done to the town had been fixed. Most of Brooks people were given a second chance. Others who higher crimes were witness had been banished with only the clothes on their back.

With the start of winter and not even a horse. Jake didn't think they last very long out there. Then help came from Coastal city. The new Free States government had been finalized and they were looking to add Last Hope to a list that would only grow.

The massive convoy that came was almost like an army on the move. After a few days of talks and long discussions the town council agreed to join. Widow Rota gave a pretty good speech about unity and retaking our world.

Construction started almost at once and the town limits grew.

Epilogue:

Over a year later, Sheriff Jake sat in his new office of the new police department building when a beeping sound made him look up from the electronic paper work he was filling out.

Tapping a button on his desk tablet a holographic image of Doc Wilson appeared standing in front of his desk.

So Doc, we got a murder case on our hands? ” Jake asked sitting back.

No, I carefully examined the body and the damage to the teenager's head was most likely caused by him falling. As you know, he did drowned in the river soon after. He was a Coastal City resident. So I have inform them of my findings. I also talked to their experts and after looking over the data they agree with my results. ” Doc Wilson said.

Poor kid. I thought as much, but I wanted your professional opinion first. I did some back ground checks on the kid. He was well known online as a sort of dare devil. Stupid of him to be out there alone and so close to the river. I bet, we will find a selfie drone soon enough. I will comb the area myself later on. ” Jake said opening the file then closing the case as accident.

Then Jake went on speaking.

Tell Ruby, not to pop out that kid of yours too quickly. I like winning my criminal cases in the court room for a change. How is the apple orchid farm coming along? ” Jake asked dismissing the file on his device.

Splendidly. The new barns are finished and Maggie is looking after the first batch of young Leather-Wings. She still has to hire some teachers on Leather-Wings. Most of Father Micheal orphans are here nearly every day helping out. Emily and Thomas are young, but they will make good riders one day, so Maggie says. ” Doc Wilson said sounding very proud of himself.

I just heard from Victor. They have Brooks and they are bringing him today by truck. ” Jake said as grabbed his hat.

Come out for a visit when you have that devil locked up. Don't forget to tell Bella she is due for a checkup. We got to make sure Jake junior is okay. ” Doc Wilson said and his image vanished.

Jake amused himself with the memory of Bella telling him that she was with child. He teased her about him noticing her getting a bit pudgy around the middle. Bella never one for pulling punches made a comment about how bullet proof Jake might be at close range with a shotgun.

Seong. ” Jake called out and watched as one of his newest officers came to the open doorway. Jake was still getting use to the man's gills and webbed fingers. So far, the man proved himself to be a master at organizing and keeping nearly perfect records. Not to mention making the best damned coffee Jake had ever had. He worked mostly as Jake's secretary.

I'm heading over to Doc's place after I see our prisoner into his new cell. Deputy Brown can handle matters until I return. ” Jake said and Seong nodded.

Jake only ever closed and locked his door when he wasn't in his office. He had an open door policy both metaphorically and physically when he was in.

Jake passed by Terry who just so happen to be an adult looking android. Like Evelyn, he was a newer model and even had the hologram emitters in his hands. Useful, when you needed to re-create a crime scene from a simple theft or a murder.

Good work on catching that pick pocket. ” Jake said as he passed by.

Thank you, sir. Only doing my job by upholding the law. ” Terry said and gave Jake a smile as he walked by.

Jake waited outside after passing through the empty lobby.

Slowly, electric cars and trucks were taking over the town streets. While horses were only being used on the rougher country roads or on farms. Jake was still getting use to various changes and number of people now coming out to settle down in their quiet little town.

Jake was pleased they built all the new industrial buildings off of the highway away from the town itself. One of the new self-driving trucks that Jake knew well was coming toward him. The truck pulled up to the curb and Evelyn was behind the wheel ready to take control if needed. Ruth was in the back with her new school backpack. There was a sewed on patch showing a gray colored Leather-Wing.

On Ruth's wrist, she wore last year's model of a SABA device. She loved the device like teenagers used to love cell phones in his day.

As the girls got out Jake could see Ruth was now the taller one perhaps by an inch or two.

How was school? ” Jake asked figuring why his daughter was here now of all days. Joel was returning home and to the town of his birth.

Pretty awesome. Miss Filnor's blacksmith class rocks. ” Jake nodded then glanced up at the statue in the town's square. There was a metal statue of Mr. Filnor himself holding Black Thorn if ready to defend the town once more. Jake knew the real hammer rested over the fireplace of the Filnor home as a place of honor.

Good to hear his daughter knows a lot. It's important to remember our skills from the past. ” Jake said and heard the double beep of a horn.

Another truck was slowly pulling over to park behind Jake's ride. Jake saw Victor behind the wheel. He guessed that Joel must be riding in the covered back with his father. Victor's truck had the look of one used to going out into the wild country side. Lightly armored with puncture proof tires.

Any trouble? ” Jake asked.

He is meek as a lamb these days. I didn't want to say much over the comm networks. Brooks and his people got caught by Cannibals a few days after they fled. Had to be the last tribe hiding up there in those mountain ranges. Jake, they were using him as a food source for months. Cutting limbs and letting them regrow. ” Victor said and opened the back part of the truck where normally gear was stored for trips beyond The Plains.

Joel came out first then Preacher Brooks was next. Jake had not been prepared to see the once proud man reduce to something less then a man.

Brooks was underweight and moved like a broken man. The former man looked about in fear with his eyes darting around.

Come on, father. We are back home. Look, it's the Sheriff. ” Joel said gently and Brooks looked up. Jake saw only haunted eyes where once there was arrogance. Brooks try to raise up his hands, but he been hand cuffed through the metal part of his belt.

Please Jake. You can keep me safe from them? ” Brooks asked as his voice rasping and his eyes darted from left to right again. Jake could see the man had been driven half insane with terror.

Father, there are no Cannibals around here. The town is very safe these days. ” Joel said and from his tone. Joel had to say this statement many times before.

Change of plans. I think, the mental ward would be better. It's secure and perhaps the safest place in town for him. I'm heading out to Doc's place and I will talk to Ruby. This will be one case, I don't mind taking a plea deal on. ” Jake said and Victor nodded.

It is safe, right? ” Brooks asked, but it was Evelyn who answered.

It's an extremely safe place, Mister Brooks. I work there in my spare time. Your be our first patient with the entire floor to yourself. ” Evelyn said and Brooks nodded as tears of relief fell from his face.

Thank you. Thank you. ” Brooks said half leaning on Evelyn and she supported him as they walked. Victor went with her while Joel stayed behind with Ruth.

Hey Ruth. ” Joel said and step forward to hold Ruth's hands.

I know, we talked over the networks, but I missed you since your last visit. ” Ruth said blushing.

Yeah. ” Joel said stepping a bit closer then broke apart when Jake fake coughed.

I'm going over to Doc's place. Hop in the back truck bed. ” Jake offered and Joel nodded. As Jake drove out of the town. He glance back once in the rear view mirror. He could tell they were holding hands just from the way they looked at each other. Jake knew better to try to separate the pair. Maybe, it was just puppy love.

As Jake thought about it. He wouldn't mind having Joel Brooks as a son in law. Having Victor Voltage as his new legal guardian had done Joel Brooks a world of good.

Through the little open window Jake could hear them speaking. There was small talk along the way and mostly getting caught up on local news.

Oh, they just put up the statue of Gray-Wing over his grave at the school. He is also our school's mascot now in honor of his memory. ” Ruth said showing Victor a sewed on patch on her fairly new school bag.

Awesome. ” Joel said his eyes looking a bit dazed.

Here we are. ” Jake said pulling into the driveway that led up the house where Doc Wilson now lived with his two wives. Jake was surprised how fast a lot of the town folk accepted the customs from the people of Eden.

Jake noticed a Coastal city fish company box truck apparently finishing unloading crates of frozen fish. Maggie was getting plenty of government funding to start a school for riders and a Leather-Wing outpost in this area

Father Micheal was there directing the children as they helped. Even Claw was helping out. Jake briefly thought about his own dog back home protecting his place.

Jake exchange a friendly wave with Father Micheal and made his way up to the house. The door was open and Ruby spotted him. Her belly becoming more round with each passing day.

Sheriff Jake, Is that Joel with you?. Turning into a handsome young man. Why don't you kids run along to the barns. We got a few new Leather-Wings in. ” Ruby said after coming over to hug each of them.

Is that a good idea, Ruby? ” Jake said recalling what Maggie said about Leather-Wing bonding.

That be something. Three young riders in a small town. We already broke the record by having two kids bonded in the same year. What is on your mind, Sheriff? Don't lie. I can read you like a book. ” Ruby asked.

It's about Preacher Brooks. I know your on medical leave, but I want you to take the case. ” Jake said as he started to explain everything.

Let's go. ” Joel said to Ruth and they left together. Ruby had a stunned look on her face and Joel was out of earshot before hearing her reply.

Sorry about your dad. He did awful things, but no one deserves what happen to him. ” Ruth said having experience first hand what the Cannibals were really like.

He may be my father, but my true dad is Victor. We have come up with a few new tricks. I have learned how to fly now. ” Joel said and Ruth watched as huge hawk like wings appeared on his back. They moved stiffly, but Ruth could feel the down draft they created when he flexed them. Ruth knew such a wing span must take a lot out of him.

Another idea that you two got from a comic book? ” Ruth asked with a smile as they rounded the corner of the first barn.

Yeah, Whoa. ” Joel said and stopped walking. One of the biggest Leather-Wings he had ever seen was before them. It was black as night and turned to them with a curious look.

Ruth stared in awe of the creature. She was still getting use to seeing the younger ones.

She is a real beauty. Her name is Nightmare. ” A man said coming out of the barn and holding a young Gillzard in one arm. As the Cannibal camps were destroyed and the people being held there were freed. The Gillzards went with the freed people as pets or on their own free will.

Ruth found herself blushing a little as she looked at the man. He had that easy on the eyes look to him. There was a metal briefcase in his other hand. Ruth saw at once that it had blood samples in it through a windowed side of the case.

Hey Ruth and Joel is back with us again. I hope for good this time. ” Maggie said coming out with Henry at her side.

Henry, make sure the other Leather-Wings are settled down. Silly creatures love meal times. ” Maggie said with affection in her voice and Henry ran off to obey.

Milo Jones, by the way. Earth born and I live on Eden these days. ” Milo Jones said and freed a hand by slipping the case into an open saddle bag on Nightmare's harness.

He shook their hands getting a slight shock just how firm Ruth's grip was. Clearly, he heard of powered people before now.

Mister Jones is on a special mission to collect blood samples from Gillzards. He heard that, we have a few dozen running about and came here. ” Maggie said sounding excited.

Just a small favor for my mother-in-law. This one Gillzard seems to have taken to me. None of the others hung around, after we took some of their blood. ” Jones said turning so Nightmare could sniff at the creature. Nightmare seem indifferent to the smaller creature. The Gillzard leaped from Jones arm onto one of the side bags. It wiggled into an empty one. Then poked it's head out to watch.

Maybe, he will jump off later. If not, the kids are going to go nuts in getting a pet. Not sure how my wife is going to take it. ” Jones said shrugging it off.

Oh, is that a new Leather-Wing? ” Ruth asked and behind Maggie was a much smaller Leather-Wing then Nightmare.

This is Squeaks. A real trouble maker, so I heard. He is not cut out for city life or the jungles of Eden. ” Maggie said and Joel was stepping forward and held out his hand snapping his fingers. If trying to call a dog to him.

Ruth realized what he was doing, but Squeaks only looked at him. For proper bonding the Leather-Wing would come to it's new rider and give them a quick nip on the hand.

What breed is he? ” Ruth asked stepping a bit closer to Maggie.

Eastern Fur-ball stock. Once thought to be extinct on Eden. The Nereids care for most of them. Like us, they breed Leather-Wings and have riders of their own. ” Maggie said.

Maggie wondering why Squeaks was edging forward sniffing the air. Maggie was just reaching for another treat when Ruth raised her hand to point. Perhaps, she had a question about the creature's extra fur. Ruth question was lost as Squeaks lunged forward.

Ruth was dragged inside and felt pain in her hand as Squeaks bit her. Squeaks let go almost at once perhaps wondering why Ruth's skin was so hard to bite into. None the less his sharp little teeth did managed to puncture Ruth's skin.

Ruth crab walked out of the barn only to look down at her hand seeing only the blood at first. She watched as the edges of the wound starting to heal.

RUTH! ” Her father's voice yelled and he was rushing forward in a slight run. Ruth got up carefully and Maggie was wrapping a clean cloth around her hand.

Three bonding to children in a single place. ” Jones said sounding amazed.

I'm okay, Dad. ” Ruth said brushing away the dirt from her clothes. Jake looked her over and saw she was telling the truth.

Well, your life is about to become very interesting. I better go now and let you all work this out. Come to Eden sometime, Ruth. Maybe, we will meet again. ” Milo Jones said climbing up Nightmare's rigging. Ruth watched as he clipped himself in. Nightmare looking eager to fly.

Let's go home, girl. ” Jones said and Nightmare took off flying by running at first.

They watched him fly higher into the sky and he was soon out of sight. Ruth unwrapped her hand and saw the wounds were already gone replaced by scarring that would fade. This species of Leather-Wing must have some serious jaw pressure so Ruth worked out.

I think, we need to build a barn on our property, dad. ” Ruth said looking at Squeaks who looked back with gentle intelligent eyes. Ruth didn't fear him because she knew that she had a friend for life.

Ruth, if you wanted another pet, so badly. I would have caved in getting a Gillzard. ” Jake teased and walked over to hug his daughter around the shoulders. Jake looked at Squeaks as well wondering what was in store for his daughter's future.

The end.

0