Ch. 10 – Gaining some Confidence
364 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gaining some Confidence

The next morning, instead of heading straight to the guild, Kris instead took them to the blacksmith.

“What are we getting? I don't think we need new gear yet,” Mibu asked, looking at her dagger.

Kris nodded, “I agree, but I wanted to try something...” he asserted.

Paddy just looked at them quizzically, following behind.

At the blacksmith's, the man greeted them as they entered. “You need something fixed?”

Kris shook his head. “No, I was hoping to get a shield. Specifically one big enough for Paddy here.”

The blacksmith looked up at Paddy, who blushed at bit at the attention.

“A bearkin, eh? I think I got something...” he said, dropping his tools and heading into the back of his shop. After a few moments, he came out, lugging a large tower shield. It was almost as tall as Kris. “'Ere, give this a try.”

Kris motioned to Paddy, who nervously grabbed it. She was able to heft it up, basically using it as a regular shield.

“Um...what's this for,” Paddy asked.

Kris gave a confident smile, “I thought of a good way for you to help in combat. When something attacks you, just hold up the shield. That way you won't see them.”

Paddy seemed unsure.

Mibu seemed confused.

Kris kept nodding confidently. “While Paddy is distracting them, Mibu and I can take care of the enemies.”

Mibu nodded like she sort of understood.

Paddy looked between them. “O-okay, I'll give it a shot.”

Taking another simple goblin mission (two goblins this time) they headed out to the location of the camp.

“Alright, Paddy, go in and distract them. Just...go at them with your shield up. Mibu, you finish them off while Paddy has them distracted.”

“Alright, we got this!” Mibu said, giving a fist pump.

Paddy gave a semi-sure smile and nodded.

Going into the thicket, they soon heard the tell-tale signs of goblins.

“Yabba, yabba!”

Paddy looked at Kris, who nodded. Like yesterday, she gave her cute, un-intimidating roar as she charged at the goblins, raising her shield.

“Yabba?” the goblins shouted, before taking out their weapons and going at Paddy.

Watching Paddy run at them, Kris realized an issue. Because Paddy was blocking her sight with the shield, she couldn't tell where the goblins were at. This worked in making her not afraid, but she also didn't know when to stop.

Paddy barreled into both goblins, sending them flying as she charged. And kept charging, straight out of the thicket.

Mibu ran over, finishing off both the goblins, so Kris ran after Paddy.

“Paddy, hold on!”

Paddy stopped roaring, coming to a halt and lowering her shield. Turning to look at Kris, she then became confused of where she was at.

“Great job, you took them out!” Kris said, giving her a smile and a thumbs up as she walked back over.

“Re-really?” Paddy asked.

“Yeah, check it out,” Kris confirmed, opening up her status screen. Underneath Iron Armor and Ax was now a 'Shield – lv. 1” skill.

Paddy's eyes went wide. “I...did it?”

Mibu, who was walking over to join them, gave her a hug, “That was awesome Paddy! You just ran them over like a carriage!”

Seeing the goblins lying in the thicket, Paddy was finally convinced, breaking into a smile.

As they walked back, Paddy led the way, seemingly in a better mood after completing this request.

Mibu, who was walking with Kris behind her, asked, “Was that your plan?”

Kris shook his head, “No, I just wanted her to block them while we took them out. I didn't think she would just...run them over.”

Mibu nodded, before leaning in and giving him a kiss, “Well it worked out anyways,” she said, before grabbing his hand.

Kris blushed, Okay, I really am going to do something about this...

Kris decided to take everyone out for a nice dinner to celebrate. While Mibu had wanted to go to the steakhouse again, he had asked Paddy what she wanted.

“Um...can we get fish?” she asked tentatively.

Fish? “Uh, sure, I don't know any fish places though...”

Paddy poked her fingers together, “I smelled one yesterday...”

Am I the only with a normal sense of smell!? Actually, yes, I probably am...

Mibu had already gotten over the sadness of not going to the steakhouse. “Yeah, fish sounds great!” and nodded along vigorously.

Finding the restaurant selling fish without too much trouble thanks to Paddy's nose, they headed in. Greeting them at the front desk was a large bearkin man. He was about to greet them, but gave a smile when he saw Paddy come in.

This feels familiar....

As he took them to sit down, unlike the steakhouse, they were given proper menus. As expected, they were all different types of fish.

“Um...what do you recommend Paddy?” Kris asked.

Paddy pointed to a pinkish fish at the bottom. “That's my favorite.”

It looks like salmon...hopefully it tastes like salmon too, and nothing weird.

After a few minutes of Mibu drooling over the pictures of fish, while Paddy nodded along with her desiring all of them, a large bearkin woman came out to take their orders.

After they finished, Kris turned to Paddy again. “You really did a good job today. I didn't expect you to just take them out like that.”

Paddy blushed, looking down. “Um...tha-thanks for helping me.”

Mibu jutted in, slapping Paddy on the back. “That's what your party members are for! Right?” she turned to Kris.

Kris nodded. “Of course. Even if you hadn't taken them out, we have your back.”

Paddy nodded, giving an embarrassed smile.

After they finished their meals (the fish not tasting like salmon, but being quite good anyways), they headed back to the inn. When they entered, they were greeted by Misty's party.

“Hey...wait a minute, did your party get bigger?” the wolfkin asked.

Kris grinned sheepishly, “Yeah...I thought we could use another member.”

The orc and human in her party stood next to Paddy, looking up at her. “Your pretty big, even for a bearkin.”

Paddy blushed and looked away.

“Hey, don't talk about a girl like that,” Misty said, coming between them and pulling on their ears.

“Why? It's great how big she is,” Mibu asserted, jumping up and hanging off Paddy like she was a jungle gym.

After some more carousing, they all got a table together, having a round of drinks.

“Are you all still Copper-Rank?” the wolfkin asked.

“Yeah. How quickly do people normally rank up?” Kris asked.

“Well, it depends. With how many requests y'all do, it probably won't take long,” the human asserted.

The orc nodded, “That's true. We've been stuck at Silver-Rank for a while though...”

“Well that's because we take off to do Dungeons sometimes...” Misty said, shaking her head.

Kris tapped his temple, thinking, Dungeons? I feel like Mibu mentioned those before, but I forgot to ask about them. “What are Dungeons?”

The rest of the table, including Paddy, turned to look at him.

“Umm...” Misty said.

Mibu, facepalmed, “Sorry, I forgot to tell you about them.”

The wolfkin was incredulous. “How do you not know what Dungeons are?”

“Uh...I...wasn't given a proper education by my parents. They kept me sheltered from the outside world.”

They all nodded.

Phew...

“You get those types of parents sometimes,” Misty said, shaking her head. “Let's see...you know who the Goddess is, right?”

Kris thought back, a month now, too his brief meeting with a Goddess before being sent to this world. And remembered when he'd had a tome dropped on his head. “Yes, I do know her.”

Misty nodded, “The dungeons are created by the Goddess to test Adventurers. If you get past certain levels, you can get rewards.”

The wolfkin jumped in, “Gold, rare weapons, and Goddess tomes are the most sought after.”

Like the one I got, and the one given to us by the merchant. So that's where they come from.

Mibu jumped in, “Don't forget the most important part, if you completely beat a dungeon, you get a Goddess Token, and can request a meeting with the Goddess herself, granting a wish to the holder.”

Kris nodded along, This is a game-world after all. Well, this Goddess's interpretation of one, at least.

The human mused, “A wish from the Goddess...I could get all the gold in the world.”

“Or immortality,” Misty asserted.

“Or even send yourself to a whole different world!” the orc exclaimed.

Kris blinked a few times. I could send myself back!? He looked at Mibu, then looked at the group. Even with the issues I've had, I definitely don't wanna go back...

Kris turned to Mibu, “We need to check these Dungeons out!”

Misty laughed, “Haha, even the lowest-ranked ones are Iron-Rank minimum.”

“Oh...”

This earned a laugh from the other party.

The wolfkin slapped him on the back, “Haha, don't worry, you'll get there soon.”

Paddy sat there drinking her ale. She liked the flavor, but it was a bit weak for her taste.

Mibu leaned up to whisper (which meant basically standing up), “Hey, I'm gonna take Kris back to the room,” she explained, a light blush on her face giving away her intentions.

Paddy blushed back, nodding, “O-okay.”

After Mibu dragged Kris away, Paddy continued sitting with the others. I'm glad they get along, but I feel a bit awkward...

As she was thinking, Mibu's chair was slid out, Misty taking her place. “Did those two really leave you alone to go have sex?”

Paddy blushed, looking down into her drink.

Misty giggled. “It's okay, I'll keep you company. It's Paddy, right?” she asked, taking another swig of her own drink.

Paddy nodded.

“Did Kris buy you from the same place as Mibu?”

Paddy nodded.

Misty giggled a bit, “What, you don't wanna talk?”

“So-sorry...”

Misty shook her head. “It's okay, you don't have too,” she explained, taking another swig. “Actually, since you're sex-crazed party members are busy right now, you wanna go to the bathhouse with me?”

“I...um...just went yesterday...” Paddy explained.

“Nonsense! You're a girl, you can never go too much...”

“But... I don't know if...”

“If Kris didn't want you going, the slave crest would stop you, right?” Misty interjected.

That's true...

Misty grabbed her hand, pulling (with great effort) Paddy out of her chair.

At the bathhouse, when they undressed, Misty was staring at Paddy's chest.

Paddy blushed, trying to cover herself up.

Misty blushed back, embarrassed. “Sorry, they're just so huge. I guess you are a bearkin though,” she added, looking down at her less ample chest. Shaking her head, she led Paddy into the bath.

She had her sit on the stool, creaking as it had last time with Mibu.

Misty stood, lathering up Paddy's hair. “Ohhhh, this is really nice,” she explained, running her fingers through it.

Paddy blushed, “Th-thanks...”

Misty nodded. “So...if you don't wanna talk, that's fine, but...how did you end up as a slave?”

Paddy was silent for a moment, before explaining, “My...family was really poor, so I offered to be sold off.”

Misty's eyes went wide, stopping scrubbing. “You offered it?”

Paddy nodded. “I didn't want my younger siblings to go hungry, and since I'm a bearkin I fetched a good price, even at a low level. Plus it was one less mouth for my parents to feed.”

Misty started scrubbing again, “Wow...you're a strong one, Paddy.”

Paddy shook her head, “No, I'm not. I can barely fight...”

“Really? It sounded like you did today.”

Paddy smiled weakly, “I guess...”

Misty poured some water over her, “You really need to gain some confidence, Paddy. You're a strong girl, there's no reason to be nervous about fighting. Or anything, really.”

Paddy didn't have a response.

Misty tapped her shoulder, signaling to switch.

As Paddy started scrubbing Misty, Misty winced, “Yeah, uh...you're too strong. Can you wash a bit more gently?”

Paddy blushed again, “Sorry...”
After they finished washing, they got in the tub together, soaking in the hot water.

“Ah...this is the best,” Misty said, relaxing. “You know, I think I did this with Mibu too, right after she was purchased.” Thinking for a moment, a mischievous grin came over her face. Sliding over to Paddy, she asked “Have you been with Kris yet?”

Paddy seemed confused, “We were just together...?”

Misty rolled her eyes. “No, like been with. What he and Mibu are doing. Had sex.”

Paddy blushed once more, sinking down a bit. “No...why would he want to with me?”

Misty shook her head, “Are you kidding? You're gorgeous, and you got breasts the size of watermelons. Any guy would drool over those...”

“Re-really?”

“Of course. I mean, he bought your for a reason, right? There's no way he isn't thinking about it.”

Paddy looked down at herself. Really? Even with a body like mine? But... “He has Mibu though...”

Misty laughed, “Haha, are you kidding? Mibu wants more girls added. She told me so herself.”

Paddy didn't know what to think. “I don't know...”

Misty nodded. “I get it. It's not like you have to, especially with Kris preoccupied with Mibu anyway. I'm saving myself, too, until I find a man worthy to have children with.”

Paddy look at her.

Misty took this as an invitation to explain, “I want a man with magic at least as strong as mine, so we can pass on our magic to our children. That way they'll be set up for life.”

After listening to Misty for some time explain what she wants in a man, they eventually got out and headed back to the inn.

Saying goodbye to Misty, she slowly opened the door to the room. Inside, she heard...nothing. They must be asleep, she thought, doing her best to sneak to her bedroom on the opposite side.

Laying on the sagging bed, she looked up at the ceiling, thinking of the day's events. Mibu's supportive fist pump, Kris's smile and thumbs up, and even Misty complimenting her appearance while they washed. Rolling to the side, she closed her eyes and smiled. Maybe it will work out this time.

17