Ch. 27 – Learning about the World
123 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Learning about the World

 

The beginning hours of their trip were spent in relative quiet, as Henrietta spent most of her time glued to the window, seemingly amazed at the scenery for farms and cottages that passed them by.

When they got into the woods, and the scenery became a bit repetitive, she instead went about inspecting the other occupants.

“Hmmm...you are a bearkin, correct?”

Paddy blushed a bit, then nodded.

Henrietta nodded back, “You can understand language, at least. Can you talk as well?”

Paddy blushed deeper. “Y-yes...”

“So you can speak the basics, at least...” she then turned to the next in line, Mibu. “You are a dogkin, right? We have many dogkin maid-slaves at the manor, my father seems quite fond of them.”

Mibu nodded, “I have a maid outfit, too!”

Henrietta nodded like this was a perfectly acceptable response. She then turned to Celica. “I don't know what you are.”

Celica blushed, though seemingly more in anger than anything. “I'm a cyclops.”

Henrietta nodded, not seeming to notice the anger in Celica's voice. “Can you see better with only one eye?”

“I don't know, I never had two eyes...” Celica said, sounding a bit irritated.

Henrietta shook her head, “I don't get it.”

Celica shook a bit in anger, but Henrietta turned to Kris. “You seem like a generic adventurer.”

Kris cried a bit inside, I know it's probably true, but that doesn't mean you should say it!

Henrietta turned to Mibu. “Why do you have him on your team? Wouldn't you be more comfortable with another girl instead?”

Mibu blushed, poking her fingers together. “I wouldn't mind another girl, but Kris is the pack-leader.”

Henrietta raised an eyebrow, looking at Kris suspiciously. “He's your leader?”

The girls all nodded.

“Hmm...I guess the Guild wouldn't have picked you if you weren't up to par,” she thought a moment, then yelled out the window, “Driver, pull over for lunch.”

The others looked at each other, taken aback. The carriage driver did pull over though.

They got out, and Gilmer produced a basket with sandwiches and cookies.

Kris looked at the others, “We may as well eat too.”

Gilmer produced a second basket, “Of course. As stated in the agreement, your food will be provided as well.”

Their eyes went wide as they opened, seeing several sandwiches as well (but no cookies). They all grabbed one, and took a bite.

Hmm...they're pretty good, actually. “Did you make these?” he asked Gilmer.

Gilmer gave a proud smile, “Yes. My lady has a most discerning palate, which is why I was assigned to her.”

After Henrietta, sitting on a blanket and looking around, finished her sandwiches, she promptly got up and headed to the carriage. “Driver, it's time to leave.”

The others all looked at each other, then stuffed the rest of the sandwiches into their mouth and headed back over, while Gilmer quickly cleaned up.

Once they were all back in, the carriage started moving again.

“I'm going to take a nap,” Henrietta proclaimed.

Gilmer produced a pillow, setting it on his lap, while Henrietta curled up and laid down.

Seeing this sight, Mibu giggled, “Kris, you want to take a nap too?” she said, patting her lap.

Kris rolled his eyes, “There's not enough room unless I lay on all of you.”

Paddy nodded her head, and Celica said, “I don't mind.”

Gilmer chuckled softly, looking down at the sleeping Henrietta. “I'm glad you all are understanding of my lady's...improprieties. I believe she means well, but she grew up a bit...pampered. Partly through my own fault, of course...”

Celica gave a 'hmpf', but Mibu nodded. “That's why she's taking this trip, right? To learn about the outside world? Or 'peasants',” she giggled.

Gilmer nodded, giving a wry smile. “Hopefully it is fortuitous.”

 

After a couple hours of relative silence as Henrietta slept, they were startled by a sudden howling.

Mibu's ears instantly started twitching, “It's wolves.”

The carriage came to a sudden halt, almost throwing them out of their seats.

“What is the meaning of this?” Henrietta said as she woke up.

They could hear the horses neighing, and more howling.

The team quickly jumped out of the carriage. Outside, their was at least a dozen wolves surrounding the carriage. The driver was struggling to calm the horses as they bucked about.

“Paddy, go protect the horses. Mibu, get this side, and I'll get the other. Celica, Air Slash any that get past us,” Kris doled out as orders.

Everyone nodded and ran to their positions.

Paddy started swinging her ax wildly, cleaving one wolf in two before the others charged at her, trying to bite her armor.

Mibu shot an arrow into two, before throwing an Ice Spike at a charging one, causing it to slide onto its side.

Kris used Scorch on one, before running through another with his sword.

Celica threw two Air Slash's at ones that ran out of the woods to charge the carriage, slicing them clean in two.

After less than a minute, it was all over.

“Wow! That was amazing!” Henrietta said from the carriage jumping down. She walked over and started inspecting one of the dead wolves. “These are wolves, right? I've never seen them outside of books. They made them out to be a lot more dangerous.”

“My lady, please, there might be more,” Gilmer said, jumping out after her and pleading with her, “Please return to the carriage.”

“Nonsense. I want to see what our Adventurer's do up close,” she said, poking the dead wolf.

The four team members huddled up next to the carriage, as the driver finally succeeded in calming the horses down.

“Why are wolves attacking a carriage in broad daylight? It's at least a couple hours until dusk,” Kris asked.

Mibu shook her head. “I don't know. Maybe they were hungry?”

Paddy nodded, “They must have smelled the sandwiches.”

Kris shook his head, “I mean, they were good, but I doubt that's it...”

 

After clearing the road of dead wolves, they continued on their journey. Henrietta now seemed excited to interrogate the Adventurer's. “Does this kind of thing happen often? Fighting back ambushes of monsters?” she said, looking at Mibu.

Why does she keep only talking to Mibu?

Mibu seemed happy to oblige, though, and nodded. “Yes, we've been ambushed a few times. Goblins, bandits, one time a yeti...”

Henrietta's eyes went wide. “A yeti? I didn't think those actually existed. Did you defeat it?”

Mibu shook her head, “No, we did manage to fight it off a bit, but then a dragon came and ate it.”

Henrietta's eyes managed to go wider. “A dragon?” She shook her head, “Now you're just telling me a tale.”

Gilmer shook his head. “It could be true, my lady. Once on a trip in my younger years, I saw a giant purple dragon flying in the distance. I'll never forget it's majesty...”

Purple!? I wonder if it was the same one we saw.

Henrietta nodded, turning back to Mibu. “Tell me more of your adventures.”

Mibu nodded vigorously, proceeding to start telling of their adventures, starting near the beginning of their time as a group. The goblins, the boars, and their encounter with the mother fenrir and her cubs.

“You didn't kill the beast? But what if it doesn't keep it's promise?” Henrietta exclaimed, though she was eagerly into the story.

Mibu shook her head. “They did, there wasn't any reports of it after that. It's a good thing too, they're really nice. They even helped us when we fought a yeti later.”

What!? It helped you?” Henrietta said in disbelief.

Before Mibu could continue, the drive shouted, “We're almost there.”

“You'll need to continue the story later.” Henrietta said before looking excitedly out the window.

 

They rolled into the streets of Floberg as the sun began to set, until they stopped in front of a large, upscale hotel.

“We're staying here? I thought you wanted to see from a peasant's point of view,” Kris stated.

Henrietta looked at Gilmer, then at Mibu. “Is that true? Do peasant's not stay here?”

You only believe if Mibu tells you?

Mibu nodded. “This is mostly for nobles or merchants, peasant's stay at regular inn's. We like to say at one's with a tavern inside, too.”

Gilmer sighed.

Henrietta nodded, “Driver, take us to a peasant inn,” she shouted out the window.

After a moment, the carriage started up again.

Gilmer asked, “Are you sure about this my lady, a peasant inn won't have the same amenities...”

Henrietta shook her head, “I'm sure it will be fine.”

 

A few minutes later, and they stopped at an inn, similar to the one the team stay at normally in Coburn.

“My lady...” Gilmer tried to caution her one more time.

Henrietta ignored him, jumping out of the carriage and walking towards the inn, while the others scrambled after her.

Inside, the tavern area was bustling, about two-thirds of the tables full, and the bar completely filled along the whole row.

Henrietta beamed with excitement. “This is what I was looking for!”

The group instinctively went and found a table, and Henrietta followed after, while Gilmer brought up the rear.

They sat down, Henrietta still following the group's lead. Since this was an unfamiliar tavern, they were looking at the menu when a catkin girl in a tavern outfit came up. “What can I get for you sweeties?”

Henrietta said, “I would like a souffle and a plate of cookies.”

The tavern girl giggled, “Sorry miss, we don't have either of those.”

Henrietta blushed, “But...”

Kris, trying to help, asked, “What's the house stew tonight?”

“Rabbit.”

“I'll have that then,” Kris answered.

“Me too,” Mibu said.

Celica and Paddy both got it as well.

“Umm...I'll have the house stew as well,” Henrietta said confidently.

The tavern girl giggled and nodded, then turned to Gilmer, “And for you sir.”

Gilmer shook his head. “Oh, it would be improper for me to order anything...”

The girl seemed worried, “Are you sure?”

Henrietta looked at Gilmer, “Just get something too, or we'll stick out.”

Glimer nodded and smiled, “Ah, I guess I'll have the house stew as well, then.”

The tavern girl giggled again, “Alright then. Would you all like a drink as well?”

Kris and the others nodded, so Henrietta nodded as well.

“I'll have the drinks out soon, and then the stew,” she explained, before bowing and heading away.

Henrietta seemed confused by the menu. “Is it normal for them to have such limited options?”

Kris nodded. “This is about standard.”

Henrietta nodded, then started looking around, taking in the sights and sounds of the tavern. “Do you normally stay in these?” she asked, looking at Mibu.

Mibu nodded, “Yes, we stay in one normally at Coburn long-term, but we also use them when traveling like this.”

Henrietta seemed confused, “You stay in one of these normally? What about your house?”

Mibu sighed, a little sad, “We can't afford a house yet.”

Henrietta frowned but nodded.

After a couple minutes, the catkin tavern girl returned with their drinks, setting out one for each.

Kris and the others took a swig.

Henrietta eyed it curiously, while Gilmer seemed concerned.

“What's in this?” she asked (looking at Mibu again).

Mibu took another drink, “It's honey ale.”

“Ooohh, I like honey,” Henrietta said, grabbing it to take a sip.

“My lady” Gilmer tried to stop her, but was ignored.

Henrietta stuck out her tongue, “Bleh, this is honey? It's so bitter!”

Mibu nodded, “It's still ale.”

Kris asked, “Have you had alcohol before?”

Henrietta blushed, “I've had a bit of wine before, but...” she then picked it up again, taking another drink, her face contorting a bit.

Mibu laughed, “Haha, don't force yourself.”

Henrietta shook her head. “Nonsense. This is part of the experience,” she replied, then forced another sip.

She had barely made any progress when, after a few minutes, their stew was brought out.

The group started devouring theirs.

Paddy's face lit up, “This is really good.”

Kris nodded in agreement. “Definitely one of the better stew's we've had.”

Henrietta took a spoonful as well, and her eyes lit up. She grabbed another, and another, before almost choking herself.

Gilmer gently tapped her back. “My lady, don't eat too quickly...”

Henrietta nodded, before taking another big swig of the ale. “Oh...it's better after you've had some of the stew.”

The group all nodded.

 

After finishing their stew and drinks (besides Henrietta, who only got half way), Gilmer asked Mibu, “Do we need to get six rooms? Or just four? I already paid the driver for his room, as he wanted to go straight to bed.”

Mibu was trying to do the math, “Uh...why do we need four? Or six?”

Gilmer seemed apologetic, “Oh, my apologies. Lady Henrietta will have one, I will have one, your male teammate here will have one, and then I'm not sure if you ladies prefer separate rooms, or being in the same. I have heard that's sometimes common for Adventurer parties.”

Mibu had a different issue. “What!? Kris will be in the same room as us. We only need three.”

Henrietta blushed, stammering out, “You... you sleep in the same room as him?”

Kris cried a bit inside, What!? I don't seem like some creepy guy...right?

Mibu was also upset. “Of course. Well, sometimes he sleeps with Paddy or Celica, or sometimes we're all together, like last night.”

Henrietta blushed more. “Is it...safe? You trust him that much?”

Mibu blushed, “Of course, we-”

Gilmer interrupted, not liking where the conversation was going, “My lady, let's not judge them. We should go get the rooms.”

Henrietta, still blushing, nodded.

After they walked away, Mibu looked at Kris, “Why was she so surprised? How else would we mate if we're not in the same room?”

Kris shook his head, “She's a noble. She might not even know what 'mating' is.”

Celica blushed a bit, “Stop talking about mating in public!” she whispered over to them.

Kris and Mibu blushed slightly, “Sorry...”

“Do you think she's going to finish that?” Paddy said, looking at Henrietta's half-empty ale.

Kris scooted it over to her, “I think you'd be doing her a favor.”

Paddy nodded, downing the rest of the glass in two gulps.

Celica asked, “Do you think one of us needs to stand watch?”

Kris shrugged, “If we make sure she locks her door before bed, we're probably fine.”

 

After a couple minutes, they returned, Gilmer sliding a key over to Kris. “Here you go. I will take my lady to her room, and we'll see you-”

Henrietta blurted out, “Mibu, come wash me.”

Kris had an epiphany. She trusts Mibu because she's a dogkin, like her maids! I don't like her treating her like a maid, though...

Mibu, however, had no qualms with this demand. “Of course!” She winked at Celica and Paddy, and followed after Gilmer and Henrietta.

Kris asked, “Why did she wink at you both?”

Celica blushed, “She was saying, 'it's okay to start without me'.”

Kris, realizing what she meant, simply replied, “Ah.”

 

Mibu excitedly followed after Henrietta into her room. I was surprised she wanted to bathe with me! I was getting a little worried by some of her comments, but she can't be that bad.

Gilmer had rented the most expensive room in the tavern for Henrietta, complete with luxurious double-bed, and a large bath that could easily fit three or four, depending on size. The bath was currently full to the brim with steaming hot water.

Henrietta walked over and started undressing. Mibu watched, a bit in awe, as her glowing skin was revealed. She also took off her headband, so her golden hair was flowing around her face now. She then took off her silver bra, revealing medium-sized but perky breasts.

“Are you coming?” she asked.

Mibu blushed, then started taking off her armor and clothes.

Henrietta blushed, “Why are you taking off your clothes?”

Mibu seemed confused. “How else are we supposed to brush each other?”

Henrietta took a moment to comprehend, then started nodding and thinking. “I see, it's normal for Adventurer's to...” she trailed off as Mibu took off her shirt and bra, breasts flopping out and jiggling slightly, causing her to blush.

“What's wrong? Is the water too hot?” Mibu asked as she walked over.

Henrietta blushed harder, than shook her head. “No, it's adequate.”

Mibu got in across from her, relaxing in the hot water. “This is nice...”

Henrietta stared, transfixed at Mibu's breasts.

After a few moments, Mibu giggled, “Haha, do you like boobs? Paddy's are bigger than mine,” she explained, squeezing them together.

Henrietta shook her head, looking away “No, I just...I've never seen a naked woman before. Besides myself.”

“Have you seen a naked man?”

Henrietta blushed even further. “Of course not!” She shook her head to clear her mind. “Anyway, can you scrub me now?”

Mibu grabbed the brush, “Turn around.”

Henrietta did as asked, and Mibu started scrubbing her.

Wow, her skin is really beautiful. She ran a finger down Henrietta's back, causing her to shiver. Kris would love her. Mibu was going to ask if she had a fiance already, but Henrietta asked something first.

“Do you really sleep with that...Kris in your room?”

Mibu raised an eyebrow. “Of course, why wouldn't I?”

“Well, he's a man. He seems nice enough, but I was told even the nicest man would put his hands on you if you sleep in the same room.”

Mibu thought back to when Kris had first purchased her. “That's not true. We've slept in the same bed before and he didn't even touch me.”

Henrietta seemed thoughtful. “Hmmm...maybe my parents exaggerated a bit.”

Mibu continued, “I actually had to initiate the first time. He was a bit hesitant.”

Henrietta seemed confused, “What do you mean?”

Mibu was confused as to why Henrietta was confused. “He was worried I might not want too, but I talked him into it.”

Henrietta was still confused. “I still don't get what you're talking about.”

Mibu stopped brushing. “I'm talking about mating. Our first time mating.”

Henrietta froze for a moment, then glowed bright red, turning around and backing away against the wall of the tub. “M-m-mating!?

Mibu nodded, confused even more as to her reaction. “Yes, mating. Oh, sorry, I forgot humans usually call it 'sex' instead of mating.”

Henrietta started at her, like Mibu had become some type of monster.

“Umm....do you not know what 'sex' is? It's when a man-”

Henrietta slapped the water. “I know what sex is!” she shouted, then blushed again at her own words.

Mibu looked down, “Sorry, I was just confused....”

Henrietta, trying to regain her composure, asked, “Wait, so you've had sex with...him? You're not a virgin?”

Mibu giggled, “No, definitely not. I was when Kris bought me, but we've done it a ton since then.”

Henrietta seemed despondent, not even registering the 'bought' comment. “But you're not married! Or is this...” she calmed down a bit, thinking, “...is this a commoner thing?”

Mibu shrugged, “Some commoners are. We weren't going to wait though. Paddy neither. I think Celica intended too, but...”

“Wait, the others have had sex too?” Henrietta asked.

Mibu nodded, “Yeah, after they knew Kris and I were mating, they wanted him as well.”

Henrietta, for the second time tonight, froze. “A-a-all of you have sex with him?”

Mibu smiled proudly. “Yup! He's the packleader, and we're his mates.”

Henrietta didn't know what to say. “Is...is that normal for Adventurer parties?”

Mibu thought to the few other Adventurer's she knew. “I don't think so. There might be others like us, but I don't know any.”

Henrietta nodded, seeming to take some solace in this being at least uncommon.

Since she had seemed to calm down, Mibu handed her the brush. “Can you brush me now?”

Henrietta was snapped back to reality, looking at the brush. “Oh...oh yeah...”

Mibu giggled, “I brushed you, didn't I?”

Henrietta nodded, assuming this trade-off must be normal for peasants. She started lightly scrubbing Mibu's back.

“You can be a little stronger,” Mibu said.

Henrietta blushed, pushing a little harder.

“Thanks!” Mibu replied. “I wanna be nice and clean for Kris later.”

Henrietta stopped. “You're...you're planning on having...sex...with him after this?”

Mibu nodded, “Of course. Paddy and Celica probably already started.”

Henrietta blushed again, before shaking her head and continuing scrubbing.

After a couple minutes, Mibu got out and toweled herself off. “Thanks for the scrub, I'm gonna get back now,” she explained, putting her clothes back on. “Make sure you stay in your room and lock the door,” she added with a smile.

Henrietta blushed and nodded, mind thinking about what Mibu was going to go do.

 

Mibu walked over to the room she was sharing with the others. Going inside, Paddy and Celica were on the bed naked, panting a bit.

Kris was standing up, at the table and getting a drink of water. “You took a while, I was starting to worry.”

Mibu smiled and came over to kiss him, before staring to undress. “She wanted to talk a bit. She was really concerned that we all mated with you.”

Kris facepalmed, “That was probably too much for a sheltered noble girl.”

Mibu shrugged, “She said she wanted to learn about peasants and Adventurer's, right?”

Kris chuckled, “I guess that's true,” and pulled in the now naked Mibu. “I hope it's not awkward tomorrow.”

Mibu kissed him, “It should be fine.”

 

The next morning, the group was the first one out to the waiting carriage. The driver nodded at them, and they went inside.

After a few minutes, the door opened, and Gilmer came in, followed by Henrietta. As she sat down, she kept glancing at Kris, then down, then at Mibu, then down, and blushing the whole time.

I guess it is going to be awkward, then...

9