76 – Entering The Town
32 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was rare for the city gate to have a line of visitors, so they didn’t need to wait and could immediately enter. The guards guarding the gate were slack and seemed tired as they leaned on the town wall.

"For such a fortress, it seems these people are not exactly fit to be guarding here," Illyan thought as he saw Bor starting to fawn over them while giving two of the guards two bronze pieces with a smile.

Winterfrost Town was situated where the East and West mountain ranges were closest to each other, making it a natural fortress where you could assess the town only from the northern gate or southern gate. The question was: Against whom was the fortress built to defend?

"But seeing the state of the walls and the so-called guards, I don’t think they can hold for much longer if something really happened."

“My dear Milords, as usual, I am returning after my journey to northern villages and bringing some of the new citizens. They are all assembled outside as per your requirement. I hope you can be lenient as they are mere peasants.”

“Hah, that depends on how obedient they are,” one of them scoffed as he started to look at those mud people with an indifferent expression. He had seen hundreds like them after years of working as a guard. Their expressions were filled with hope and excitement.

Yet, how many of them could really achieve their goals? Definitely not many. For that, they needed to be talented, hardworking, and have extreme luck. But peasants usually only had their hard-working mentality. And that, without the talent and luck, was completely useless in the guard's eyes.

His eyes passed by each guy with a brief glimpse as he scanned for some kind of troublemaker. By protocol, he should also check their belongings and Bor’s wagon for any kind of weapons or some other contraband, but he was too lazy for that.

What things could peasants have on them? Maybe dried meat if they were 'rich'.

He sniggered in his heart as his fleeting gaze passed almost everyone. But then, he noticed one tall man with a robe covering his body. He was inconspicuous, as the guard didn’t even notice him, just like any other peasant, but it was rare for one of them to be as tall with their malnourished bodies.

“Hey, you! What do you have in those bags of yours?” Not to mention that he had quite big bags that could easily fit the belongings of everyone in the wagon.

“Dried herbs, flowers, and seeds. Some spare boots and clothes and other basic things you would need to survive,” Illyan answered without changing his expression.

He already expected that his bag would bring some attention after seeing that everyone else didn’t have almost anything.

His bags actually didn’t have anything much of worth except the Firestorm herb and the black rods he got from the wendigo. But that was exactly something he didn’t want to show as he put it at the bottom of his bag. Of course, he had some excuses even if they found it.

At most, he would give it to them and take it back some other way.

“Herbs, huh. Show me,” the guard said with a stern expression. Illyan just opened the bag and showed him the herbs within. The fragrance of those plants wafted in everyone’s nose when he opened it as their curiosity heightened.

However, the guard didn’t start to touch the inside of the bag as he didn’t want his hands to smell like medicine for next week. Instead, he snorted as he interrogated Illyan.

“So, what are you?! Some kind of herbalist quack? Trying to get some money. I will tell, none of those fakes ended up well in the town as they got beaten by guards to death. So if you are planning to do something shady then stifle that thought,” the guard said to Illyan.

It wasn’t uncommon in society to find charlatans who would only mimic the real professionals and try to scam people. In this town particularly, there were only two certified physicians. Unfortunately for the townsfolk, one of them worked for the mayor and seldom accepted other patients and if he did then for a big sum of money and the one was too old and was retired already.

“Sir, you needn’t worry. Actually, we were assaulted back in the forest by bandits and one of the passengers got injured. But Sir Kaoran here managed to treat the wound in no time and it is obvious he has a lot of experience,” Bor, who listened all the time, said this as he vouched for Illyan.

This could be said to be Bor’s attempt to make good relations with this physician. Even if he wasn't a certified physician, he still could at least treat superficial injuries. And that alone in this place where one scratch could be deadly was welcomed.

“If you say so Bor. But if I see him doing something stupid I will beat him to death…”

“Of course, of course.”

‘I fear that 10 of you won’t be able to beat me to death.’ Illyan snorted in his heart. He may not see the strength of that robed man, but just one glance at this man was enough to know he was just a weakling who was wasting his life lazing off and drinking booze whenever he had time. Thus he just rolled his eyes in his heart as he ignored the gaze of that guard.

With that, the guards let them pass through the gates as they stood back to their positions.

Everyone lined up as they went behind the wagon prepared to enter the city.

‘At least he didn’t find the rods. That would be annoying.’

Illyan passed through the guards and gazed to the front. His ears also caught some whispers of others in his group talking about this check with fear.

“I didn’t know they would control the access to the town like this. It is quite scary.”

“Right. What if they didn’t let us pass? They could choose anyone out of us just like they did with that physician and then beat us or even kill us.”

“I don’t even want to think about that.”

For a moment, the group made several steps in the darkness as they went through the gate and then were once again welcomed by the light coming from the other side.

Not only that but the big mix of noises was added to it as many townsfolk people were out on streets either trying to sell something or for other not always good reasons.

The sounds of several vendors buzzed in everyone’s ears and the liveliness of the town opened up right in front of their eyes.

For many, this was the first time they saw such a lively place Illyan included.

The Bakur Tribe was huge but it never gave him such feelings like just one look in this place. Unfortunately, the wondrous feeling of being connected with society was rudely interrupted by an unbearable stench coming out of the streets.

“What's this smell? It’s horrible.”

“That's the smell of shit…”

Illyan also frowned. He was used to bad smells but that didn’t mean he enjoyed them.

On the other hand, villagers were for a moment confused by the smell until they realized what was happening.

“Because there is no place to dump your waste, it usually ends up on the streets. Not pleasant I will tell you. That is one of the benefits of living in a village where you can take a dump in the forest,” Harn

, whose nose wrinkled, said this as he quickly boarded the wagon.

“Well, this will be our goodbye. My task was fulfilled as I got you inside your town. Now it is on you what you want to do. You should try to find a good inn before sunset. Guards won’t let you on the streets and kick you out of the town or imprison you. I recommend the Summer Snowflake Inn. It is quite cheap for newcomers who lack the money. That’s all. If fate wills it we will meet again. Farewell!” Bor who sat on the wagon turned to them as he waved his hands and soon disappeared in the streets leaving the poor plebeians on their own.

Illyan noticed that he was a little unnerved and realized that the event with the other merchant still didn’t leave his head.

Then he turned his attention back to the vendors and noticed how everything was much more expensive than in the village.

‘It was a good idea to rummage my village back then to take as many coins as possible. Else I would be in trouble.’

Although it was obvious someone was already there to steal they couldn’t get under some of the ruins of the buildings. For example, he remembered that his parents had some coins hidden in their house and so he had to dig it all up. Thankfully, he was strong enough to do that.

‘That money was originally for the merchant to buy something to eat but he didn’t visit our village for over two years.’ Thinking about the money that the villagers hoarded with hope made his mood conflicted.

‘At least that money won’t be wasted.’

As he thought so he turned to other plebeians who were talking about what to do now. Some of them already left as they weren’t bonded with others and only the most friendly ones stayed to talk to each other. And Illyan who was thinking during that time.

“Sir, where will you go now? We planned to go through the town for now. Do you want to go with us?”

Terren, who was in the center of them, asked with an excited expression without asking others. Some of them showed a positive expression while others weren’t so thrilled. They were a little uneasy in front of such a gloomy guy like Illyan.

“No, thank you. There is a lot of time to look around later but for now, finding the inn is a priority for me. And for you, it should be too. The town is quite big so it will take some time before finding the right place. I will go to the Summer Snowflake Inn that the merchant suggested so if you and others will go there too then we will meet again. Before then, farewell.”

Illyan also turned around and entered the crowd of people on the streets. The group didn’t have time to respond before they lost their sight of him as if he disappeared within that crowd.

“That guy is kind of creepy. I don’t really like him.”

“No. He doesn’t seem like a bad guy. Just being a little mysterious.”

Terren, who was looking at Illyan leaving, was silent and wondered what was so weird about this guy…

Walking through the crowd, Illyan was trying to find the inn.

‘He could tell us where it is…’ Cursing Bor under his breath, he started to look around at the street market and its goods. People were yelling, trying to entice people to buy their goods with small discounts.

People were selling fish from the rivers, game that hunters brought to the town, or even some trinkets that should supposedly bring you luck.

“Sir! Do you plan to buy some fresh vegetables?! You can buy-”

“No.”

Of course, Illyan wasn’t interested in anything on this street. How could he? Firstly, he was poor and had to find a way to make money and secondly, there was nothing that enticed him. He had most things he needed and as for food he could always get it when needed.

Instead, as he looked around he asked some other passersby for directions.

“Can you please tell me where the Summer Snowflake Inn is?”

He came to one of the market shops where a plump lady was selling some tomatoes and potatoes and other types of vegetables. The lady at first seemed to be wary of the tall man suddenly talking to her but he just gave her one penny which made her immediately warm up.

“This inn isn’t far away. It is just one street away! You just need to go straight and then turn left once you see a small fountain in the center. That’s the center plaza of the town.”

The lady explained as she showed him the directions.

“Thank you.”

After he left he went in the direction she showed him. However, along the way he noticed a small group of burly men talking to some of the vendor shops.

“I don’t care. If you can’t pay up then your little shop will go to shit. Bring the money next week. That’s the ultimatum boss gives you.”

“I u-understand…” The old man who was talking shivered as he nodded.

When Illyan was walking around he stared at this, which one of the guys noticed and yelled out

“Fuck off, you cunt! This is none of your business!” At that moment Illyan turned his gaze away and continued on his way. He also noticed that most of the people also ignored the scene.

Fortunately, the guys didn’t go after him, so he hadn’t gotten into some trouble on the first day.

‘Quite aggressive for one look. Did his mother die today or something?’ Thinking as such in a good mood, Illyan finally got in front of the inn that he was looking for.

7