Chapter 28: -Sana- Your Present
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was Valentine's Day morning. I'd woken up, and Tetsu was already awake. He'd been waiting for me. I found myself on top of him still, on the couch, and remembered last night. How we'd decided to stay here. I was so comfortable, just my head laid on his chest. I wanted to fall asleep again, but then I remembered what day it was. What I had planned. 

I had it all planned out, my gifts throughout the day. Things to make Tetsu feel good. A watch in the morning. Chocolate strawberries in the early afternoon. Soothing skincare gifts in the evening. With these gifts, I was trying to appeal to all sides of him. Things he could enjoy, regardless. And there was a super secret gift that I had planned for nighttime. I was the most excited about that one.

So, I had gotten up on my hands, showing him I was ready to get up. I felt fine, for once. It was hard to believe. He'd gotten me up and I'd changed clothes. I was wearing a romantic pink dress, empire waisted and a satiny material, puff sleeved. My wig was long and blonde, ringlets towards the bottom. I had a cute bow tied behind my bangs like Alice in Wonderland, in red. My nails from yesterday went well with this. I refreshed my makeup, to make my lips a glossy and subtle red. I refreshed my eyeliner, and put on pink shadow, highlighter at the inner corners of my eyes, and dewy highlighter on my cheeks with a little bit of pink blush. So romantic. This I had planned out, when I found the dress among my things some days ago. 

I went out to the kitchen in my wheelchair, and in the time it had taken me to dress and get ready, Tetsu was standing there dressed in a smart looking white button up shirt, black dress pants, and a formal looking gray vest, and on the table was a small spread of delicious Western breakfast foods. A delivery bag from a local restaurant was tucked next to the fridge, ready to go out. I was enchanted. He'd done this for me? He smiled, and gestured towards the table. He wheeled me the rest of the way, and he began to serve me. I was blushing pinker than the blush makeup on my cheeks. Had he planned out an entire day for me, also? Could that be true? 

"You look so cute," he said, that big grin that I love on his face, as he sat down across from me. 

"You look so handsome," I said, in awe. And he really, really did. I'd never seen him wear masculine formal clothes before. I couldn't stop staring.

I was about to tuck into my eggs, when his mom entered the kitchen. She stood there, her mouth open. Tetsu began laughing. 

"Your papa never does anything like this for me," she said in mock jealousy, "he left for work this morning with his usual kiss and 'see you later'. It's not fair."

I didn't know what to say to that, but Tetsu did. "He doesn't think of romantic things. It's not his fault."

"I suppose. I wonder if he remembered Valentine's Day at all. He's been pretty busy at the office."

"I'm sure he has."

"I believe you. Ah, I'm not going to intrude on you two, though! Don't mind me, I'm just going to make myself some breakfast." 

Tetsu gestured to the table. "There's plenty! Join us."

She eyed the table, clearly wanting to join. "Oh, I couldn't. That's your romantic stuff."

Before Tetsu could respond, I did. "No, please join us. I'd love that."

She seemed surprised at this. She smiled, and sat down next to me. What followed was a lovely, quiet breakfast. I got a strange sense that I was peering into the future. It was a wonderful feeling. 

 

Soon after breakfast, Tetsu's mom had offered to do the dishes. She'd said it was the least she could do. So, Tetsu had wheeled me to the living room. I remembered the watch, and said I had to go check my makeup. Tetsu said my makeup looked fine, and I was deeply touched, because I know how good at makeup he is. But I insisted, because I wasn't really going to check my makeup.

I went to our bedroom, and into the closet. I found the small present box, and while doing so, heard a big commotion outside of our bedroom. The loud sound worried me, so I wheeled out quickly, and what I was met with gave me a shock.

Tetsu and his mom were setting up a small table as quickly as possible, setting it upright. It was a pretty wooden stand, in a cherry color. Tetsu knelt to the floor and picked something up, and when I saw what it was, I squealed. I couldn't help myself. Tetsu set it down on the table, and turned to me, that big grin on his face.

"I thought I had more time!" He laughed. "You said you were going to check your makeup!"

"I lied!" 

He just doubled over laughing at this, so in his joy. He put his hand on the record player, and opened the top. It was a gorgeous thing, cherry finish, and made to look like an old wooden housing of a record player, top of the line. I'd seen these for sale, these modern versions of an old design. I'd wanted one badly, but couldn't afford one. I was so excited, that I forgot to cry. I wheeled over quickly, and began admiring it. 

"I've always wanted one of these," I said, in deep awe. I touched it slowly all over, so happy to finally be able to touch it. 

"You have? You've seen it before?" Tetsu was admiring it with me. 

"Oh, for years. They're so expensive, though- Ohh, Tetsu..." My face became a deep blush. "You spent so much money..." Now I could feel the tears. 

I felt his arms around me, from behind. His chin rested on my head. "You're worth more," he whispered. He kissed my head. I could feel the tears in my sinuses, but they didn't come. I sniffled anyway. He walked to the front of my chair and squatted down, face to face with me. 

Now was my chance. 

I lifted my present up to him. "Happy Valentine's Day," I said quietly, suddenly shy. A nervous feeling was in my stomach, climbing up to my chest like a vine.

"What's this?" He asked, taking it into his precious hands. His grin was unparalleled. He began opening the red wrapping paper carefully, making sure not to disturb the cute white bow stuck to the top of it. He opened it slowly, as if the wrapping was so important, too. He finally revealed the wooden box, a heavy box made of walnut. "This looks like a box for- Oh!" He gasped the last word as he opened the lid. His gasp extended, his eyes sparkling. 

"What is it?" His mom asked, watching over my shoulder. 

He squealed a bit in admiration, and lifted the watch out of the box. I couldn't stop grinning. He was being so cute. It was like how he'd act when dressed as Aurelia. Was he forgetting himself? I wanted to squeeze him. This had been exactly what I was hoping for. I'd wanted to buy something for him that would appeal to both sides of him, and it appeared it was a spectacular success. 

His mom gasped at the watch. "How beautiful! But, isn't that a women's watch? It's pink." She sounded curious at it.

"Unisex," I explained. "It's rose gold."

"It's gold?" Tetsu whispered, admiring it in front of his face, looking at it from every angle slowly. "It's so beautiful... I love it so much. I'm going to wear it right now." 

I blushed, watching him put it on. It fit perfectly, I noticed the color of the rose gold accented his skin beautifully. I wanted to take his hand and kiss it, but thought better of it because his mom was there. The nervous feeling had climbed into my chest, and my heart was starting to pound. I put my hand on my chest as I started to breathe a little harder involuntarily. 

He noticed this, and put the watch's box on the table with the record player. "Let's go lay down," he said, smiling gently at me. "I'll put on a record, and we can listen together."

"Okay," I agreed. I thought he would wheel me over to the couch, but instead he picked me up, filling me impossibly with even more joy. He brought me over to the couch and laid me down, covering me in the pink blanket there. He made sure I was completely cozy. He was gazing at my face, such a content look. I'm sure my face was the same as his. 

His mom said she was going to go do some chores. As she left the room, Tetsu reached into a drawer in the TV stand and brought out a black record sleeve. I couldn't see what it looked like beyond that because he wasn't facing me, but what I heard when the record player's needle touched the record...

I let out the biggest sigh. As Edith Piaf's "Hymne a L'amour" filled the room, Tetsu joined me on the couch. I sat up, and he sat down, and we got into our customary position. He pulled the blanket over us, and wrapped his arms around me, staring into my eyes. Finally, he could speak his feelings to me without his mom in the room. But, still, he whispered.

"I love that you bought me a watch that is so feminine," he whispered in my ear, barely there. "Thank you. Is it really unisex? I can wear it whenever I want?" He sounded positively blissful, possibly about to cry.

"Yes, it's unisex," I whispered. "It's Vivienne Westwood. All of her jewelry is unisex, regardless of what the piece is, but I think you know that."

"Ooh, wait," he gasped, smiling now. He brought his wrist to his face. He gasped louder. "It is Vivienne! I can't believe I missed the marking! Sana!" He wrapped his arms around me again, squeezing me. His grin was back!

"I know you like Vivienne Westwood!" I laughed, "I wouldn't be a fan if I didn't know!"

"Wah," He said in a laugh, "I'm so lucky!"

"And it's pink, so it's perfect for Valentine's Day, too." I was giggling now.

"Yes, it is perfect!"

He was so happy. I didn't want it to end. I kissed him, and he kissed back eagerly. He nuzzled his nose to mine, that smile never leaving his face, and I let out a tiny laugh, he was too cute. 

Edith Piaf began to sing "La Vie en Rose" on the record player. My face went towards it. "Is this album all Edith Piaf?" I asked, delighted.

"Yes. I was so happy to find it. I had to get it, because I first heard you sing an Edith Piaf song. It was perfect. And I know you like her so much. So do I."

I sighed, smiling so much. I pressed the side of my face to his chest. I heard his heart beating so fast. Nervousness, excitement, or merriment? All three? His arms tightened around me, and I relaxed completely. 

We listened together for about thirty minutes. The A-side of the record finished, but that was okay. Tetsu was sweeping his hand over my head repeatedly, almost petting me like a cat. I was too happy to care about anything. He seemed to be also. But, a few minutes later, quietly, I heard the most wonderful sound. I looked up at him.

He was singing Edith Piaf to me, but in Japanese. I let out a small sound of surprise and love. I listened, for I don't know how long. The best present he could ever give me. 

0