Side Story 2: Twin Swords
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
We'll diverge from the main storyline for a bit. Hope you don't mind!

"A sword, why would I ever need that?"

 

Mo Qingwu laughed into the androgynous figure's face without any reservation. Shi Jianhui looked helpless as he silently endured her laughter. Her actions didn't bother anyone since they were the only two eating at the small restaurant. When she finished laughing, he continued to speak.

 

"It's supposed to be a pair of twin swords. A symbolic gesture of our relationship."

 

"Oh, so does the great Immortal hero finally acknowledge his attachment to this mortal?"

 

A mischievous smile adorned Mo Qingwu's face as she swirled the tea in her cup. A few empty plates were stacked on the edge of the table but the waiter hadn't come over to clean them up as he was afraid to disturb their conversation. Shi Jianhui awkwardly pressed on.

 

"I'm serious, Qingwu…"

 

Mo Qingwu's expression softened when she saw her lover's face full of desperation and helplessness. Although she was a bit reluctant to have a sword be the symbol, Shi Jianhui's sincerity had won her over. Letting out a sigh, she stared into his eyes and gave her words of affirmation.

 

"All right… It does sound like a sufficient romantic gesture."

 

Shi Jianhui was so surprised that she had caved so easily that he found himself at a temporary loss for words. She placed her tea cup on the table and covered her mouth. Mo Qingwu giggled as she observed his dumbfounded expression. Her next words brought him out of his stupor.

 

"Considering the circumstances, one would think that I'm the Immortal… One that has cast a spell on you."

 

Shi Jianhui wore a wry smile and grabbed her tea cup from her hand, downing it in one go. Mo Qingwu made a pouting face. Standing up, she walked over to his side. In mock anger, she grabbed Shi Jianhui's shoulders and started to lightly shake him. She scolded him for his actions.

 

"You greedy goblin! Drink from your own cup!"

Shi Jianhui smiled in victory and gave a swift rebuttal.

 

"What's yours is mine. What's mine is yours."

 

Mo Qingwu let go of Shi Jianhui's shoulders and stood at his side. Moving her face closer and looking directly into his eyes, she delivered a probing comment.

 

"Oh? Seems like someone has learned to be eloquent."

 

Shi Jianhui smiled lightly and gave a humble reply. He wasn't going to fall for such an obvious trap.

 

"I learned it from you."

 

"It's good that you acknowledge it."

 

Mo Qingwu held a satisfied expression as she moved her face away from Shi Jianhui. Seemingly reminded of something important, Mo Qingwu asked Shi Jianhui innocuously.

 

"Have you thought of an inscription to put on the twin swords?"
 

Shi Jianhui was stunned by her question and words came out of his mouth without much thought.

 

"We need an inscription?"

 

Realizing what he had just said, Shi Jianhui covered his face with his palm horizontally and slowly dragged it down to his chin. He let out a sigh of disappointment since he hadn't thought of something so obvious. With a discouraged tone, he lamented to himself.

 

"Right… Why didn't I think of that?"

 

Mo Qingwu was about to giggle but she reined it in when she saw his discouraged expression. Leaning in, she reached out with both her hands to massage his temples. She whispered in his ear words of comfort.

 

"You're perfect as you are. If you knew everything, you wouldn't be you."

 

Shi Jianhui was silent for a few moments before he took a deep breath. He whispered sincere words of thanks to Mo Qingwu.

 

"Thank you."

 

Mo Qingwu held a concerned gaze as she watched his actions. Her words were full of care as she delivered her suggestion.

 

"If your responsibilities at the sect are too much-"

 

"It's all right. I'm fine."

 

Although he rudely interrupted Mo Qingwu, Shi Jianhui wasn't going to let her try to convince him to leave the Sect. He owed too much to the Sect to just leave. Shi Jianhui put on an insincere smile to try to assuage Mo Qingwu's worries. Mo Qingwu wasn't convinced, but she knew that she couldn't press the subject. As she sat back down in her seat, Shi Jianhui proceeded to call out to the waiter.

 

"Waiter, one gour- cup of wine! One cup of your finest wine!"

 

Seeing Mo Qingwu's fierce glare at his words, he changed his order last second. She wasn't happy with him drinking wine but was temporarily satisfied with his compromise. The waiter quickly brought out a wooden cup filled to the brim with local snake wine and carefully placed it in front of Shi Jianhui under Mo Qingwu's displeased gaze. Shi Jianhui tossed him a silver coin. Taking it gratefully, the waiter quickly retreated to the back with the dirty plates. Shi Jianhui downed the cup in one go and let out a breath of satisfaction.

 

"Pah! That hits the spot."

 

Shi Jianhui placed the cup on the table and leaned back in his seat, closing his eyes. Mo Qingwu looked at him disapprovingly and reminded him of his health.

 

"Be careful. Don't drink yourself to death when I'm not watching."

 

Shi Jianhui seemed to be still savoring the wine as he replied absentmindedly.

 

"Yes, of course. I'll try to limit myself. Don't worry about it."

 

Now, it was Mo Qingwu's turn to feel helpless. She was used to the way Shi Jianhui trivialized his drinking problem and decided to change the topic.

 

"Have you thought of anything?"

 

"Well… I've never been good with the literary arts. Master has always given me much trouble for that."

 

Shi Jianhui said sheepishly as he opened his eyes and fiddled with the empty wooden wine cup. Mo Qingwu smiled and grew deep in thought. Her mind started to wander as she tried to think of ideas. Her gaze shifted from the wine cup to the ink paintings on the walls but still nothing came to mind. Her gaze continued wandering until she landed on the new signboard outside that held the words: "A Fulfilled Promise"

 

Her eyes were bright as a moment of enlightenment gave her an idea. She stared into Shi Jianhui's eyes and spoke her mind.

 

"Then how about… Fulfill a promise, without malice?"

 

Shi Jianhui pondered for a while before grinning. His heroic spirit seemed to grow as he began to laugh and made a rambunctious comment.

 

"Good! Good! A chivalrous hero fulfills his promise. The fair maiden holds a pure heart. This phrase is perfect!"

 

Mo Qingwu's eyes seemed to say that Shi Jianhui hadn't understood but he was too wrapped up in his moment of enlightenment to notice. She sighed inwardly and instead gracefully made her comment.

 

"The many years of learning and reciting poetry haven't failed me."

 

Shi Jianhui nodded rapidly and complimented Mo Qingwu.

 

"The most beautiful and the most intelligent being in the world. Who else could possibly compete with Mo Qingwu?"

 

Mo Qingwu's cheeks flushed scarlet at his words, but she joined in with her own twist.

 

"Illiterate, awkward, and a drunkard! The worst Immortal hero in the world! Who else could compete with Shi Jianhui?"

 

"Hey, you can't do that! We're supposed to do compliments!"

 

Shi Jianhui was holding back giggles as he gave his response. Mo Qingwu shook her head lightly with a smile as she watched her man lose himself to an uncontrollable fit of giggling.

 

"I think I'll have to add thin-skinned to the list."

 

Both of them broke into unrestrained laughter at Mo Qingwu's words.

Thanks for reading! I know the release rate is a bit slow. Thanks for bearing with me. If you want me to increase the release rate, please leave a comment, rating, and/or review. Many thanks. For those who want to know where this chapter sits in the timeline, read the spoiler below!

Spoiler

The events of this chapter take place 93 years before the events of the main storyline or 2 years after the events of the previous short story. 

[collapse]

Is the way this story organized satisfactory?
  • Yep. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0