Chapter 6: Old Acquaintances
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"There's no need to apologize. I haven't had good company in a while."

 

Liu Ye gracefully replied. The androgynous figure nodded lightly in appreciation.

 

"I'll pay you back for the meal."

 

Liu Ye immediately denied the seven silver coins that were handed to him. He held his hand up to show his staunchness.

 

"There's no need. Your disciple's company and friendship are worth much more than this."

 

His eyes were like two tranquil pools of water as he continued observing the old man. Seeing that the old man was firmly denying him, the androgynous male didn't push the matter. Instead, he posed a request to Liu Ye.

 

"May my other disciple and I join you for a bit?"

 

"Of course, though it's running late… I think the restaurant will be closing soon."

 

Liu Ye replied promptly with a short reminder at the end to politely remind the androgynous figure of how late it was. The figure smiled gently. He didn't seem in a hurry despite Liu Ye's comment.

 

"No worries, I'm not going to order anything. I have some business with the owner anyways so we can stay a bit longer."

 

The androgynous figure replied with a gentle smile on his face. He and Shi Huinai sat down opposite Song Ren and Liu Ye. Although he seemed casual, Liu Ye was also sizing up the androgynous figure. There were certain habits that were necessary for those in his line of work. Noting what the androgynous figure had stated, Liu Ye asked him a question.

 

"Oh? Have you been to Akhmim before?"

 

"It's been a long time. But, yes, I have."

 

The androgynous male responded promptly. His hands were folded on his lap. Despite the loud chatter and the clattering of plates, he seemed to be completely at ease. In fact, Liu Ye's mind seemed to gravitate towards the image of a meditating cultivator. The loud sounds around them only accentuated the ethereal feeling that emanated from the androgynous figure. Liu Ye's wariness grew a few notches, but he tried to hide any changes by blinking a few times.

 

"Your Disciple mentioned that you recommended this restaurant, but I didn’t think you knew the owner."

 

"In the past, I was here on some personal business."

 

"How long ago was that?"

 

Liu Ye asked his question without much expectation. He was just making small talk. The androgynous figure thought for a while before giving his answer.

 

"That specific visit… Well, it should be about 90 years now."

 

"90 years?!"

 

Liu Ye took another look at the androgynous male to make sure he was hearing right. The androgynous figure gently affirmed.

 

"That's right."

 

Cupping his fist and bowing slightly, Liu Ye apologized and paid his respects to the androgynous male.

 

"This humble old man greets the senior. I apologize for my disrespectful address."

 

The androgynous male gracefully received it and lightly replied.

 

"There's no need. Even though you're of the same age as my disciple, you're still a gracious benefactor."

 

Shi Huinai and Song Ren didn't seem to have heard what their Master had said as they didn't react. But before Liu Ye could ask what the androgynous figure meant by that, he was interrupted by the door to the restaurant slamming open. Everyone grew quiet and looked toward the door to see the source of the commotion.

 

"Tomorrow is my Father's birthday so I hope everyone can leave on time today!"

 

A strong middle-aged man walked into the restaurant and made the declaration loudly. The locals all expressed their assent, and a few even gave their good wishes to the middle-aged man as they left the bar without any disagreement. There were a few visitors in the restaurant that just quietly left. The middle-aged man said a few words of thanks to them as they passed by. When he saw the only remaining table with Liu Ye, Song Ren, Shi Huinai, and the androgynous male, he approached the table and made his request with a firm tone.

 

"Honored guest, if you could please leave. I need to clean up and prepare for my father's 80th birthday celebration tomorrow."

 

The owner bowed his head slightly and cupped his hands to show his sincerity. Seeing the androgynous figure seem to space out and have no intention to respond to the middle-aged owner in the short term, Liu Ye spoke up in his stead.

 

"My friend here says that he knows you and has some business with you."

 

"Oh?"

 

The middle-aged owner lifted his head and started inspecting the speaker. Finding nothing familiar, he started scanning over the other figures one by one. The heroic youth would be someone he definitely remembered so he skipped to the next figure. His expression turned to one of shock as he saw the androgynous male. He blurted out his next words without much thought.

 

"Shi Jianhui?!"

 

"You know me?"

 

Shi Jianhui revealed a surprised expression as he questioned the middle-aged owner. Liu Ye's expression turned strange but he didn't interject and continued watching from the sidelines. The middle-aged man realized his mistake and apologized before correcting himself.

 

"I'm sorry. I should call you Lord Shi. Is it really you?"

 

"Well, that painting that I gave to your Grandfather should be the greatest proof."

 

Shi Jianhui gave his response with an amused tone. The middle-aged owner's eyes lit up and he called over a waiter. Speaking with great excitement, he instructed the waiter.

 

"Bring over some of the Green Crystal Dew Wine that we have in store for Lord Jianhui and his friends! And before you protest, my grandfather would do the same if he was here. We can just spend some extra to get some more if necessary."

 

Seeing the urgency in the middle-aged man's tone, the waiter darted into the back and quickly returned with five jars of wine. As the waiter was serving the wine, the middle-aged man asked Shi Jianhui another question.

 

"What brings you here, Lord Shi?"

 

"I was just passing through and wanted to check back in with an old acquaintance."

 

As he spoke casually, Shi Jianhui opened the seal on the wine jar which released an intoxicating fragrance. The middle-aged owner rushed over to pour Shi Jianhui a cup of wine. Nodding lightly in thanks, the androgynous figure picked up the wine cup with both hands and elegantly took a sip. He savored it for a minute with his eyes closed before placing the cup back on the table. He spoke two words as he opened his eyes.

 

"Good wine."

 

Turning towards the middle-aged restaurant owner, Shi Jianhui praised him as he inspected the restaurant.

 

"You've been taking good care of the restaurant. It seems like my choice was right."

 

"You flatter me too much, Lord Shi. It was only through my grandfather's diligent labor that it is in the state it is today."

 

The middle-aged owner humbly denied Shi Jianhui's praise. Shi Jianhui nodded lightly and reminded the middle-aged owner.

 

"Your grandfather's diligence also includes you."

 

"It is as you say, Lord Shi."

 

Faint light sparkled in the middle-aged owner's eyes as he was reminded of a matter of great importance. With great respect and humility, the middle-aged owner cupped his fist and extended his invitation.

 

"If you have some time, I would love it if you could make it to my father's 80th birthday tomorrow."

 

"Of course, you wouldn't mind if I brought some guests along with me?"

 

"Not at all, not at all. Bring as many as you'd like, Lord Shi."

 

The middle-aged owner's expression was ecstatic at Shi Jianhui's response. Shi Jianhui looked out the open door and noticed the darkness. Turning toward the owner, he excused himself.

 

"It seems to be getting late. I won't be holding you for any longer. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

"Have a good night, Lord Shi. If you ever need anything, the Alyan clan is always at your service. In fact, please take this."

 

The middle-aged man fished out a jade pendant from his pocket and handed it over. The jade pendant depicted a curled-up snake and had a golden tassel attached to the end of its tail. Shi Jianhui thanked the restaurant owner and received it without any ceremony. The restaurant owner escorted Shi Jianhui and the other three to the door and thanked Shi Jianhui profusely along the way. When the door was finally closed, Shi Jianhui turned toward Liu Ye and spoke up.

 

"If you'd like to join us tomorrow, feel free to come along."

 

Shi Jianhui's gentle smile made Liu Ye uneasy, but he didn't have anything going on until the Princess's banquet in 2 days. Coupled with Song Ren's eager gaze, Liu Ye found it inconvenient to decline.

 

"Then, I will take you up on your invitation, senior."

Cupping his fist, the old man bowed deeply. Liu Ye was about to excuse himself when Shi Jianhui stopped him by speaking up.

 

"One more thing, feel free to bring any friends. A party is better with more guests."

 

Liu Ye was inwardly shocked and felt a bit panicked. The uneasy feeling grew exponentially greater with these words. He inspected Shi Jianhui's face once more but there was still just that gentle smile. Liu Ye wasn't sure where this intense feeling of uneasiness was coming from so he quickly excused himself and walked away briskly.

 

"How old are you, Master?"
 

Song Ren's voice was full of curiosity as he looked at his Master with an innocent gaze. Shi Huinai appeared behind him in an instant and gave him a light smack on the back of his head while rebuking him.

 

"Don't you know it's rude to ask someone's age?"

 

Song Ren glared at Shi Huinai fiercely but didn't retaliate. Instead, he looked at his Master to see how he would react. Shi Jianhui chuckled lightly and addressed Shi Huinai.

 

"Don't treat your Senior Brother so roughly, Huinai. It's been fifteen years and yet Song Ren still doesn't know my age. I should apologize to both of you for that."

 

"Master, I should be the one to apologize!"

 

Both Shi Huinai and Song Ren spoke the same words in unison. Song Ren looked at Shi Huinai in surprise, but Shi Huinai ignored him and continued to look at her Master with a barely disguised expectancy. Shi Jianhui chuckled once more and continued speaking.

 

"Then, let's return to the Inn. I'll set up a few formations for privacy and we can discuss this in detail."
 

The two disciples eagerly followed their Master and their figures disappeared into the shadows like ghosts in the night.

 

0