Chapter 2: The Road to Recovery
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: The Road to Recovery (unedited – raw version)
(small fixes: 2023-11-05)

 

Upon arrival, Eldric explained the situation and gave the staff the blade used to stab her. The healers worked tirelessly, slowing her metabolism while they searched for a way to counteract the poison, their faces etched with worry.

 

Knowing he could do no more for Vespera at the moment, Eldric headed to complete his other solemn duty: informing the mortician that his services were needed. As the morticians loaded the remains onto their wagon, Eldric carefully packed a portion of the gold found at the manticore's lair. He headed to the guild, his heart heavy with the weight of responsibility.

 

Upon arrival, he heard the mercenary guild master an old dwarven man named Thrainor rambling on. Eldric sighed and waited a couple of minutes for him to finish his story before going inside to meet with him. Eldric informed him about the events that transpired during their fateful mission, and that the mortician has their bodies before handing a large sum of the loot.

 

Thrainor listened attentively, his expression a mix of sadness and concern. "I will ensure that the families of Eris, Liri, Rhiannon, and Arin receive their fair share of the loot, and we will hold a memorial service for them. They were brave souls, and their sacrifice will not be forgotten. How is Sariel?"

 
"She is fine you know her she is bound to be drinking somewhere."

Eldric moved on to discuss the other matter. "Vespera was injured and is in critical condition after an assassin stabbed her with a cursed blade, covered in poison. I need information about the best way to contact her family."

 

Thrainor stroked his beard, deep in thought. "Ah, Vespera. She comes from the Nobel House of Valtaris, known for their long line of Dark Knights. Her mother is a powerful sorceress from House Skugga, and her father is the current patriarch of the Valtaris family. She joined our guild 26 years ago to serve as a liaison between her family and our organization. It's been about two years since she last visited her family as far as I know."

 

Eldric responded, "Thanks, but I know about her family. I just don't know how she usually contacts them."

 

Thrainor provided Eldric with the courier services and info used to contact the Valtries directly. Eldric then pulls out another pouch of money handing to Thrainor. “Please send this along with the pay for the mission to her family for me.” Thrainor nods and starts to tell tale about the first time he fought a manticore.
 Eldric says "Thank you, Thrainor. I will send a missive to the family as soon as I get news. I need to go check on Vespera.”

Thrainor pated Eldric on the shoulder. "You're a good man, Eldric. Take care of her, and don't hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance."

 

Three weeks passed, and Vespera still lay unconscious as Eldric sat guard in her private room, the powerful Knight & sorceress reduced to a frail figure lying unconscious on a narrow bed, her breaths shallow and labored. Her usually vibrant scarlet eyes were now closed, her ashen face a stark contrast to her once commanding presence.

 

The healers, a team of skilled clerics and alchemists, were doing everything they could to purge the deadly poison from Vespera's system. Eldric watched their efforts, his fingers clenched into tight fists, the frustration and concern evident in his furrowed brow. Eldric kept watch every day and hired his friend Grisma to guard her whenever he was away.

 

On the fourth week of his silent vigil, the wards he'd placed suddenly broke, meaning some other that the night staff which were allowed to pass through them had entered the hospital floor. Eldric cautiously readied a spell to react quickly if needed.

 

As two hooded figures slipped silently into Vespera's room, their intentions clearly hostile, Eldric tensed, his muscles coiling like a spring ready to be released. His fingers twitched with anticipation, and he could feel the raw power of his magic coursing through his veins, begging to be unleashed.

 

The assassins moved with practiced precision, their steps barely making a sound as they approached Vespera's bed. Their daggers, glinting menacingly in the dim light, were drawn and ready for a swift, silent kill.

 

Eldric's breath caught in his throat, and he willed himself to remain calm, waiting for the perfect moment to strike both of them at once. As the assassins closed in on their helpless target, he could feel his heart pounding in his chest, his pulse quickening with adrenaline.

 

Just as the assassins came within range, Eldric sprang into action, dispelling his invisibility as he hurled a torrent of crackling arcane energy at the would-be killers. The room was suddenly bathed in the harsh glow of Eldric's magic, casting stark, jagged shadows on the walls as the air filled with the scent of burnt flesh.

 

Caught off guard by the sudden assault, the assassins staggered, momentarily disoriented. Seizing the opportunity, Eldric followed up with a barrage of ice, soothing their burnt skin but rendering them almost motionless. Their agonized screams filled the room as Eldric froze them further. Knowing they wouldn't succumb to their injuries but were unable to escape, they activated wards killing themselves instantly.

 

As the smoke cleared, the assassins lay motionless on the floor, their once-nimble forms reduced to lifeless husks. Eldric stood over them, his chest heaving with exertion, his eyes scanning their bodies for any clues as to their identity or who sent them.

 

Despite a thorough search, he found nothing – no sigils, no identifying marks, nothing to suggest who ordered the hit on Vespera. Frustration and anger coursed through him, his fists clenching at his sides as the realization sank in that her enemies were still at large, and sending her money home as she usually did probably put her in danger. Eldric wondered if someone in her family was targeting her, or if an informant just passed on information about the payment.

 

He knew would need to remain vigilant and continue his investigation into who was trying to kill Vespera. But for now, he at least bought them some time, and he could only hope it would be enough to uncover the truth behind the attacks. With a weary sigh, he returned to his post, the ever-vigilant guardian watching over the comatose Vespera, his resolve unwavering in the face of the unseen dangers that may lie ahead.

__________________________________________________________________-

 

A couple of weeks later there had been no more attempts at her life, but he continued to stand vigil at her bedside every day, usually just thinking about his latest experiments. Suddenly Vespera's eyes fluttered open. Eldric called the healers over, and they proceeded to check her condition.

 

Master Healer Alana turned to Eldric and said," This is a good sign, but her road to recovery will yet be long, she will likely be in a confused state unable to tell reality form dreams for a while. It can last a day or weeks, the longer it lasts, the more damage her brain likely suffered, which will make recovery much more daunting task. She should slowly be able to talk as her brain readjusts. The curse is finally gone, but unfortunately it took so long we will be unable to mend her spine."

"I may have a way, I am owed a favor by the royal family of Thaya I'll return with an artifact to repair the damage in a couple of days. Please tell Grisma to have guards on her day and night till I return and take good care of her.

Alana nods," of course Sir Amery."

 

The next couple of days, she tried to talk, but it was mostly just gibberish. One morning as the rays of early dawn filtered through the mullioned window. The curtains fluttered softly, carrying with them a haphazard symphony of bird songs and distant city clatter. In the midst of this tranquil dawn, Vespera stirred, her eyes fluttering open, their characteristic icy gaze replaced by confusion and fear.

Eldric returned just 2 days later looking as if he hadn't slept the entire time with the artifact in hand, the healers were able to use it to reconnect the severed nerves. Once they were done, he made the journey to return it before swiftly returning.

 

"Help!" she cried out, her voice raspy and trembling. "They're taking me!" Her eyes darted around the room, wild and terrified, locking onto Eldric who had been slumbering in a chair by her bedside. Her fingers twitched, reaching for an invisible enemy, but they could not find the strength to move. The once mighty dark knight was trapped within her own body, her muscles having withered over her prolonged comatose state.

 

Eldric, roused from his sleep, quickly moved to Vespera's side, his eyebrows creased with concern. His hands gently enclosed her frail ones, trying to provide a comforting anchor in the midst of her delirium. "Vespera, you're safe," he insisted, his voice calm despite the pang of sadness gnawing at his heart.

 

Her gaze flickered towards him, a myriad of emotions flooding her face. Recognition sparked in her eyes. "Folke?" she murmured, a frown knitting her brow. "We... we were in the fields of Chalath, weren't we? The... the pika were singing?"

 

Eldric's hands tightened around hers, offering reassurance. "That's right you were so tired you fell asleep as soon as you got home, Vespera," he murmured gently, a soothing balm that seemed to comfort her as she drifted back to sleep.

 

Each day Vespera was a little better than the last. Her memory would slip in and out, sometimes replaced with fantastical illusions. Once, she had cried out in the middle of the night, thrashing with her shadow magic, screaming about a giant worm trying to devour her. Eldric had to call the staff and have a Magic suppression ring put on her so she couldn't hurt herself. Another time, she had calmly asked Eldric about the dancing moles, her eyes wide and innocent.

 

Eldric spent those days tirelessly by her side, answering her repetitive questions with unfaltering patience, chasing away her fears with gentle assurances a constant reminder that she wasn't alone. Amid the chaos of Vespera's delirium

 

By the eighteenth day, her short-term memory was much better, and she seemed quite lucid, albeit having some issues with short term memory still. As she looked around, disoriented, pain flaring from the sudden movement. Her gaze fell upon Eldric, who stood by her bedside, a serene look upon his face.

 

Eldric engaged Vespera the same way he did every morning. "Hi Vespera," he said softly, his voice softly. "How are you feeling today? I'm glad to see you're still improving."

 

 

Vespera stared at him, her mind racing. 'Where was she, who was this human man who seemed so friendly with her, why was she in so much pain?' As she struggled to process her situation, a cold realization settled over her. 'Remembering the raid on her home, something must have happened to her. Fear gripped her as she wondered about her family and their fate.'

"Who are you?" She looked at Eldric, his face unfamiliar to her.

With a look of concern, his forehead scrunched, he said, "I'm Eldric, don't you remember me?"

Vespera's body ached, her mind still foggy as she tried to make sense of her surroundings.

"Sir Eldric, I don’t know you," she whispered, her voice weak and raspy. " Wait! That's right, you carried me away on a black steed. What happened? Is my family safe? Where am I?"

Eldric poured some water into a cup as he brought it to her, she started to panic, realizing that she didn't have the strength to lift her arms. Pain flared from her attempt. "Take your time. You were badly injured, let me help you." He gently lifted the glass to her lips, letting the water slowly trickle out.

Seeing the Master Healer Pass by he calls out to her, "Alana, Vespera is confused, but actually holding a conversation!"

The master healer rushed over.

"Greetings, Lady Vespera. We're glad to see you doing a bit better. I'm Master Healer Alana. You were unconscious for over six weeks and have been recovering steadily since you woke up almost 3 weeks ago. When your husband brought you in, you were in terrible shape. To make matters worse, the poison on the dagger was mixed with a curse which would kill you if we used magic to treat you. So, we had to analyze the poison and make an antidote, then we to wait for the curse to wear off to reverse the damage caused to your spine from the dagger. You are healed, but you have lost a lot of muscle between the poison and atrophy."

Vespera, trembling, said, "But what about my family, are they okay?"

"Why wouldn't they be, okay?" Alana said.

Vespera said, "Last night my family was attacked. I defeated the commander and was running back to check on my grandfather, but I don't know what happened to him, or if the rest of my family is safe."

"Your husband never mentioned anything about your family being involved, Sir Amery, do you know what your wife is referring to?

Vespera said, "Husband! I’m not married yet. I'm only 24 years old!"

Eldric, realizing that Vespera lost a portion of her memory, claiming to be much younger, and knowing that she was in a frail physical state, resolved himself to make sure she stayed safe from any more assassination attempts and take care of all her medical needs until she could defend herself.

"Vespera, my love, what you are remembering happened long ago," Eldric said gently, taking her hand. "You and I have been married for several years and live here in Riversmeet. We ..."

Vespera interrupted, " Riversmeet How is this possible that’s a fortnight from my home?

 

I have never even traveled outside the borders of Alva Underjordiska. I can't be married, and I don't think my father would let me get married at my age, let alone allow me to marry a human."

Alana said, "Vespera, it's currently the 16th of Maius 1407. What date do you remember it being?"

Vespera paled and, in a small voice, said, "Is it really 1407? The last I remember it was 1378."

 

"Ah, I see. Don't be alarmed; it's quite common for patients who have experienced such a traumatic injury to have partial amnesia upon waking from a coma. It's possible that you'll regain some, of your memories over time, however it’s unlikely that you will remember everything. The extent of memory recovery can vary greatly from person to person. It might help if your husband shows you items and places important to you."

Vespera's voice quivered a bit. "I see, thank you, Master Healer. Will my vision also clear up over time as well?"

Alana been getting ready to check for eye damage when Eldric walked up, pulled out spectacles from his pocket, and gently placed them on her face.

"Thank you, Sir Amery. That helped. Did something happen to my eyes as well?"

Eldric replied, "No nothing new, you have worn glasses the entire time I've known you.

Vespera said, "Sir Amery, can you please continue your explanation of what happened to me?"

Eldric continued; his voice filled with concern. "Just Eldric, no need to be so formal. We recently hunted and killed a manticore, but when we returned to camp exhausted, an assassin attacked you, stabbing you in the back with a poisoned dagger. I used a greater teleportation spell to bring you, our belongings, and our comrades' remains back home. Then, I rushed you to get medical help. You've been unconscious for several weeks, and I was so worried you wouldn't make it."

Vespera listened to his words, her mind racing. Not trusting this man, even if she was 54, how could she be married to this human man, and his tale of using greater teleportation was so ludicrous. Did he think she was a fool? Without a spire, that spell takes ten skilled wizards, each willing to give up half a year of their life. She decided to keep talking with him since she really didn’t have much of a choice, and maybe she could figure out his scheme.

 

Eldric stayed guard until his friend Grisma showed up to watch over Vespera mid-day a bit where she’s asleep from her medicine.

Before bringing Vespera home, Eldric wanted to ensure the house was comfortable and accommodating for her. He put out many of the treasures and memorabilia normally kept in her tent in the house. He tried to select items that went well with her fondness for blues, both light and dark, and her affinity for steel, silver, and platinum metals.

As Eldric walked through the house, he contemplated how to create an environment that would make her feel at ease. The walls were already a soft sky blue. He bought some dark blue curtains and cushions to add depth and contrast, hoping to create a soothing atmosphere.

In the living room, Eldric selected silver and steel ornaments to adorn the mantelpiece.

To accommodate her love for books and magic, Eldric remodeled the study. He carefully arranged her collection of books on the ornate, floor-to-ceiling shelves, making sure they would be easy to get to, and he set up a new wooden desk near the window so she could read, write, and practice her magic while in her wheelchair.

Taking a break, Eldric sat as he stared at an ornate platinum ring adorned with five sky blue gems. He thought fondly of the two months he dedicated to creating the and enchanting it.

As he completed the final touches on the house, Eldric felt a mix of excitement and trepidation.
___________________________________________________________________

 

A few days after regaining her wits, Vespera lay in the medical ward, sunlight streaming through the window and casting a warm glow on her face. She stared at her weakened hands, frustration welling up within her as she attempted to grip the bed rails. Eldric, the man who claimed to be her husband, watched her struggle with a mix of concern and admiration.

"Here, let me help you," he said softly, reaching out to steady her trembling hand.

 

Vespera's eyes narrowed, and she spoke in a formal tone laced with suspicion. "Why are you still here? What do you really want from me?"

 

"Nothing more than to see you recover," Eldric replied gently. "I only wish to help."

 

"Help?" she scoffed, still loosely gripping the rail as if it were a lifeline. "Why should I trust you, a stranger masquerading as my husband? Why have you not contacted my family to come take care of me?"

 

"Because I am your husband, Vespera. I care about you, and I would never hurt you. The last time I contacted your family more assassins came to try and finish the job. So, I dare not try again till you have recovered more." his eyes pleading for her to believe him.

She sighs and shuts her eyelids in a vain attempt to block out his presence.

 

In the following days, Eldric remained by Vespera's side, caring for her every need and patiently enduring her repeated barrage of accusations and. Each morning he would arrive at the medical ward long before dawn, and each night he would stay until she finally succumbed to sleep. Only then would his friend Grisma take over, watching over her while Eldric returned home to work on making their living space more accessible for Vespera's needs and catching a few precious hours of rest.

 

"Tell me again about our first meeting," Vespera demanded one day, her voice cold and clinical. "Leave no detail unspoken."

 

Eldric sighed but complied with her request. He recounted the story he told her countless times before, "The first time we met was on a 20-person mission to stop a hydra that wandered far from its lair and was attacking everything in its path heading towards your fief."

 Each time he told the story, his voice grew more pleading as he hoped that some detail might finally convince her of its truth.

 

"Yet still, I remember nothing," Vespera said flatly when he finished. "How convenient for you."

 

Despite her relentless skepticism, Vespera gradually began to adapt to her new reality. Although she had the nurses help her as much as possible instead of Eldric. The staff started Vespera physical rehabilitation slowly, with Eldric spending a great deal of time learning how best to administer the therapy himself. Vespera complained a lot whenever he would try, always exaggerating how much more it hurt when he did it.

Weeks passed, and the day finally came when the healers declared that Vespera had recovered enough and would be ready to leave the medical ward the next day. Vespera was still unable to remember almost anything from the past 30 years, and some older memories were scattered as well but her short-term memory was improving rapidly.

She said her goodbyes to the nurses while listening to Eldric’s conversation with the therapist about what days to bring her.  Eldric waved bye to the staff as he wheeled her out.

0