Prolouge chapter 12!
126 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even after two days Riley was still mad at me. I assume it was two days at least, given how long I slept after the duel I guess it could have been three. 

Apparently being on fire doesn’t just suck while you are on fire but well after the fact too, though thankfully the burns are only skin deep, not that having my entire back covered in blisters was anything to be thankful for.

Even the “soothing” healing balm Riley had gotten for me did little, though I have the feeling she may have been a little… rough with its application. Not that I’m complaining! Sure, it wasn’t the best thing in the world but having Riley rubbing my back was never bad, she had very soft hands… 

On another note, when I asked how long we were going to be here, since the “ball” itself was over. Apparently, we can stay for… well, as long as we want. Any gathering of nobility this size can last up to a week, but since Reinhart was a Lord, he has his own room inside the palace; well, he would always be granted a guest room when here at least. But courtesy dictates we don’t “overstay” our welcome.

As I awoke on the third day? Maybe the fourth? If Riley wasn’t so mad at me, I would just ask her, but I feel like it may just make her angrier with me. I really don’t get why she is so mad, sure I may have started a duel and insulted a Lord's son… but I won, didn’t I? And that healing balm worked great! The burns are almost all gone, thank God for magic, I guess. Burns like that would probably take months to heal in my last life, then again, I think there may have been another person in the room at one point who cast a spell on me… that may have been a dream though.

“I see you are awake.” Riley stated as I sat up and stretched, “how are you feeling today, Emillia?” There it was, that faint crack in her voice as she inspected me, no doubt looking for any injuries.

I couldn’t help but smile as she looked me over, not that fake one I used at the ball, but a real smile. My best smile, the one I only use for Riley. “I feel great,” I flexed my stick-like arms to emphasize this point. I didn’t even wince at the soreness this time. “It will take more than a little fire to keep me down.” 

Oops, she didn’t like that. Riley’s expression soured as she shook her head. “I… I’m sorry, Riley.”

With a sigh Riley tapped her way to my bedside and placed a pitcher of water beside me, “are you actually sorry, or are you just saying that because I am upset, Emillia?” That’s a difficult question. I am sorry she seems mad at me. And I think I understand why she’s mad… maybe… “I see.” Shit I took too long to answer. 

And I spent yet another quiet morning with Riley. I bathed, though the hot water was… uncomfortable. The skin on my back and arms was only a little pink now, thankfully all the blisters were gone. And Riley helped me dress, then she… well there wasn’t much hair left to brush. At some point someone tried to save what was left of it at least, leaving me with a very lopsided mix between a bob and pixie cut.

Riley looked… sad as she brought the fine brush through my hair again. “Riley… I am really sorry. I know you asked me not to start any trouble…” 

“You don’t get it do you, Emillia?” She cut me off, her sharp tone causing me to freeze before her. “I… I am proud that you stood up for yourself. But…” She bit her lip, something she used to do a lot before, as if she was holding back her real emotions… “You were so hurt. Emillia… I didn’t know what to do, I’ve never seen someone burnt by mage fire before and there was so much blood… I thought you were going to…”

Was I really in that bad of shape? It really didn’t feel that bad, I mean it hurt but blood? Wasn’t I just a bit toasty? 

I finally turned to see Riley standing there, the forgotten hairbrush clenched tightly in her hands as her whole body trembled. I really do forget that Riley is still young, sure she has 10 years on the current me but really, 22 she would be a college student back home, wouldn’t she? Still a young adult. I should really try to be more considerate of her, she spends all her time cooped up in the guest house with me; sure, she takes a day off every now and then to go to her family but most of the time…

I tentatively pulled the older woman down into my arms, “I’m sorry.” This time the words were barely a whisper, but they held the true weight they deserved. 

Riley really cared about me, I couldn’t understand why but she did, and she didn’t deserve to see me come back battered and bruised from a fight I could have avoided. I forget that no matter how harsh this world is, Riley was just a kind girl who was truly too good for this hell hole of a planet. 

Riley didn’t fight the embrace, letting me hold her as she let out a single muffled sob. “I was so worried about you.” She whispered into my shoulder as I patted her long red hair. 

A sharp knock on the door broke our moment, Riley’s warmth leaving me with a speed that actually hurt, a flash of worry on her face as if she had been caught with her hand in the cookie jar before she straightened herself. She blinked back a few tears as she put on her maid face, the one she wore whenever we were outside and shuffled to the door.

I watched her go, a sudden coldness where she had just been washing over me as my chest tightened. I really need to learn more about this world, its customs and taboos if only to avoid conflicts in the future. Not that I am going to change who I am, just probably best to be prepared for whatever might come.

Riley returned surprisingly quickly, wearing an almost relieved smile as she returned. Riley was, like me, fair skinned. A side effect of my hermit-like lifestyle I assumed, though I doubt Riley and the sun would get along with how light skinned she was. She had long wavy flame red hair that she rarely wore down, and deep green round eyes, she was very cute if you asked me. With little freckles that dotted her small button nose and round cheeks. 

“Riley?” I asked not moving from my seat as she made her way across the room, grabbing one of the large cases we had brought with us and laying it onto the bed. 

“A carriage has been prepared for us to return home.” She nodded to herself as she began packing the few things I had managed to unpack. 

“Oh,” I replied with all the intelligence I could muster as I watched her expertly glide across the room, picking up odds and ends as she passed them and packed them away. “And this is… good?”

Riley leveled her gaze at me, her soft smile not faltering as she replied. “Well, there are no high nobles outside of your own family to insult, so yes. This is good.”

“That's… fair.” I nodded, a little embarrassed that she seemed to think I couldn’t be “civil” with people. “I am… sorry.” I said sheepishly as she made her way to the vanity I sat at. 

Trying to be helpful I scrambled to grab an armful of… what are all these vials and brushes… is this all makeup? Whatever, I am pretty sure it’s all ours anyway. If not, well hotel rules, I just won’t say anything… I wonder if I could somehow get that bed delivered?

I glanced at the huge bed… a strange yellowish red stain coved one side that was definitely not there before… oops.

9