chapter 18
119 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Today was pretty good. Like always I spent my morning working out with Riley, then like every start of the week she had excused herself to go shopping; sometimes I would go with her into town but this time I had some things I wanted to do around the house, mainly I needed to melt some crystals down for a new protection enchantment I wanted to work on. I wouldn't say it was easier to work on them while Riley wasn’t home, after all her company was never unwanted, its just… I preferred to work on things like this alone. Mainly I enjoyed the freedom of not having to wear the heavy apron she insisted I wore whenever working.

I saw the reasoning behind it. The heavy leather would block not only the heat of the kiln, but it would also offer a layer of protection if anything went wrong. It's just so damn hot. I already needed to wear a mask when working with crushed crystals, so comfort was already a commodity, besides my under armor was more than enough to protect me if anything went wrong.

I hummed to myself as I laid a shield on the table next to the kiln, Riley had suggested it as a pair to my spear and I couldn’t disagree, shield and spear had been a very prominent weapon combo on my old world from what I remember, and it was a relatively simple thing to use. That and it finally gave me an idea as to what I wanted to put on the spear as an enchantment… Once I figured out the array that was. 

I double checked the enchantment array carved into the iron bands of the shield that held the wooden planks in place, the array covering the outer rim and cross bands wouldn’t actually improve the shield at all, but I figured the wooden boards would provide enough protection on their own, so I opted for a more… aggressive defense. I could have of course just carved the array into the wood and stuck a crystal into it but that would have been dull if you asked me.

If it was going to be my shield, I would be damned if it was just going to be a basic boring carved enchantment. No, this would look way cooler. Besides I have a feeling that once the crystal is inlaid and it’s fully charged it will give it a nice glow that will complement my glowing armor and spear once it’s all complete. Was I being vain? Maybe, I never claimed I wasn’t, but God damn it if I am going to make something I want it to look good. Besides, this particular array deserved every bit of care and attention I had and making it look cute… I mean cool, was just part of that. Definitely not cute, I don’t need my armor and weapons to be cute…

I sighed to myself as I ran a finger over the floral motif on the edge of the shield. Who am I kidding, it’s really cute. There isn’t anything wrong with that! It’s just… I told Riley to get me a cool shield, with… I don’t know, skulls maybe. Am I being childish? 

Then again, the flowery carvings along with the array would make it almost impossible for someone to guess what the enchantment did until I activated it. It helped that I was able to design the array to look like vines, hiding the array in an intricate carving would help disguise it. 

It wasn’t exactly a new concept, hiding arrays in flourish carvings to disguise their true nature after all, it was pretty common to keep people from identifying or copying them but this was my biggest attempt to hide an array like this, so I was… tentatively excited to see if it worked. 

With a sigh I turned to the kiln, the large brick dome in our back yard had half a dozen mana crystals embedded in its outer walls that gave off a faint glow. It was tricky to run the array from the outside of the kiln, but after accidentally melting a few crystals I figured the headache was well worth it. 

Crawling inside for one final check I positioned the large metal container in the middle with a handful of small crystals in it. Checking for soot build up on the inside of the array I stepped out and…

“Lady Emillia,” Riley’s musical voice stopped me right as I was about to turn on the fire array. 

“Riley! I was just doing a final check before…” The excuse died on my lips as I turned to see Riley leading Reinhart and Angela across our small yard. I froze, standing in the yard in nothing more than my under armor holding the activation brick in my hands as the three of them stood eyeing me. “I… umm… what?” 

“Your guests have arrived to pick up the enchanted bracelets for Lady Angela,” Riley strode up to me, placing her hand on the brick in my hand I almost flinched as her eyes narrowed. “Remember?” she asked and…. Fuck. I forgot to tell Riley about that. And now she’s going to be mad because I wasn’t wearing my apron. Today wasn’t going to be a good day after all.

Trying not to make eye contact with Riley I looked past her to the two standing slack jawed in the yard. What are they staring at? I mean sure the armor didn’t cover much but it was still full clothing… 

Looking back at Riley who was now standing before me almost expectantly I answered quickly. “Yes, of course.” I laughed, “I… thought they were coming later though. You know how long it takes for the crystals to melt, I was going to turn the kiln on and then get changed. I didn’t want to bother you with it, I figured they would just…” Riley did not look amused as I rambled off an excuse. “Sorry.” I muttered looking away. 

Riley’s grip on the brick caused me to wince as a faint magical glow emitting from her neck as she spoke to me in a low even tone. “We will talk about this later, Emillia.” I was positive the two behind her couldn’t hear as I swallowed hard.  

I could only nod as Riley released my hand, she turned and after offering everyone refreshments, she vanished into the house… after telling me she would fetch my apron for me. Yea, she was mad. I… should apologize… or… looking back at the two people standing in my yard. Riley won’t yell at me as long as they are here… 

“So,” I set the brick next to the shield on the table, “The bracelets. Mind waiting for a minute while I finish up here. I want to get the kiln fired up so it has time to melt the mana crystals.”

My question seemed to shake the two awake as Reinhart cocked an eyebrow. “Your melting crystals in a kiln? Wouldn’t a forge be better?”

It was my turn to be puzzled as I looked at the massive brick structure… “A… forge? Isn’t that just a smaller kiln?” 

I fucking miss google. I thought as Reinhart kindly explained the difference between a forge and a kiln while we waited for Riley to return. “Do you know how much it cost to build a kiln out here?” I hissed slamming the activation brick into place. The burst of flames from the chimney caused three of them to flinch back before it settled into a low roar of flames.

It’s really my fault. I didn’t know the difference and I always thought a forge was just a small kiln for metal working, but no. Apparently it’s a whole different structure. Where a kiln is used to gradually heat something up so the heat has time to set the material, a forge burns much hotter… I won’t lie, I still didn’t quite know the difference between the two, but the way Reinhart made it sound, a forge would melt the crystal way faster! And that was enough to make me angry, it took two months to save up enough to pay the masons guild to come out here and build this damn thing!

“I can imagine.” Was he laughing! I’ll give him something to laugh at! I whipped my head around only to find Angela standing right beside me, her eyes wide causing me to step back.

“Can I help you?” I asked cautiously as I removed the apron Riley had brought me only to let out a small yell as the young girl poked me in the side. “What the hell!”

“It's… soft.” Her voice was filled with wonder as poked me again. “What… what is this?” 

“First off,” I slapped her hand away. “Don’t just go around poking people, it's weird. Second, what are you talking about?” 

“Your clothes!” She all but yelled stepping towards me, matching my steps as I backpedaled “You enchanted them, didn’t you? Do they just glow? Why did you make your clothing glow? How did you? I’ve never seen enchanted clothing before; I thought only leather could be enchanted?”

She asked half a dozen rapid fire questions as I blinked dumbly at her. As I looked back into her wide silver eyes, I remembered that unlike me she was actually a child… a clearly very curious one at that… “Ok,” I managed to get out as she took a breath. “Yes, I enchanted them. And no, they don’t just glow. its armor.” I said proudly, patting myself on the chest.

“Doesn’t look like armor.” She helpfully said poking me in the side again her tiny finger didn’t have nearly enough force behind it to actually activate my protection, but it was still annoying.  

With a sigh I slapped myself in the chest, the force causing my clothing to flare to life as a bubble of wind formed around me for a moment pushing her away from me. “See, that’s why you shouldn’t go poking things.” I said as she stumbled back. Was it mean, yes. But she was technically my younger sister, and this was twice now she has come to my home and poked at things she didn’t know what did. 

Looking down at the girl who sat looking up at me from the dirt I… felt bad. Damn it, way to act your age Emillia. I sighed as I offered her a hand. “sor…”

“That is so cool!” she jumped to her feet, “Can you make more? Do they all have to be wind barriers, or can you do other effects? Would they all look like that, or can you make dresses too? Ooo that would be so pretty, a magical dress that made flowers dance around you!”

“I…” I paused… Could I make a dress? “No, it always turns the fabric into this rubbery material.” I said and she looked genuinely sad… “But... maybe…” I glanced at Riley. She was just standing there in her maid uniform, a standard long black dress and accompanying apron. She would look great in a dress that glowed, or one that filled the air with rose petals around her…

I couldn’t make the whole dress like this, but what if I just did the bottom part? Like a magical trim? No, the rubber would look funny… then again if the dress was designed to take that into account? I started to pace as I was lost in thought. I couldn’t make a dress but an array that made a gentle breeze was easy enough, and little petals sewn into the dress… I would have to have Riley herself make the dress, me and little needles don’t get along. 

I didn’t realize the three of them were watching as I thought. 

Riley couldn’t help but smile as Angela watched her sister. “Is she going to be ok?” Angela asked as Emillia started muttering to herself.

“Yes,” Riley chuckled, “Lady Emillia is just… she gets caught up in thought from time to time.” 

“I got it!” I yelled turning to the three of them, “I couldn’t make a dress itself but inside of it, that weird thing Riley makes me wear whenever I have a dress on, the… petticoat? I could enchant that to have magical effects! Then you would just wear it under your dress like normal and boom magical ball gown… Why are you all staring at me like that?”

“Just how long would it take you to make a dress like that?” Reinhart asked, crossing his arms as he spoke.

“That… I don’t know. I would need Riley to make the dress itself since I can’t sew but the enchantment would be simple enough. If the dress was already made… lets see. A day to prepare the material and let the rubber cool. Then apply it to the dress and let it set in. Then a day or two to design an array and have it sewn in… like a week.” I guessed only to pause as Angela grabbed onto Reinhart’s arm.

“Dad, do you think I could, please!” The young girl pleaded only for Reinhart to nod.

“You will have to ask Emillia if she will.”

“If I will, what?” I narrowed my eyes, now cautious of what they were talking about. 

“Will you enchant my dress for my party!” The young woman rushed me, “Please! It would be perfect!” She didn’t tell anyone that she wanted to show off Emillia’s enchantments, after all if everyone could see just how good Emillia was at enchanting then maybe everyone would stop saying such bad things about her!

And that is how I got roped into designing a dress for my younger sister, who was honestly way more excitable than I thought she would be. Honestly, last time she was like a cornered rabbit but now… looking at the excitable girl as she grabbed Riley’s arm and led her to the main house to get the dress in question, leaving me and Reinhart standing in the yard.

“Well,” I dusted my hands off. “She’s… excitable.” I said only for the man to chuckle. 

“Yes,” he replied, “She takes after your mother in that aspect.”

We stood in silence for a minute before I sighed. It was… awkward to say the least. 

“So, will you want crystals for the dress as well?” he asked and just like that the awkwardness was gone. 

Well, I didn’t expect much so I wasn’t disappointed. “I need spell arrays. Specifically, I need a lightning array.” I said tapping on my shield that sat ignored on the table. The “thunder” sound array is still waiting for the crystal to melt.

Renhart gave me a quizzical look, “Lighting mages are rare, Emillia. As far as I know only the Royal family can use lightning magic.”

Of course. I grumbled. Each person can only use the magic they are born with, and it’s mostly hereditary at that. It’s one of the main reasons families like ours exist, though scholars study magical arrays and copy them down, certain spells are safeguarded secrets like Reinhart flying spell. “Well. I guess I’ll have to find a different way to get a lightning bolt spell then.” I sighed, “I need a carriage for Riley when she goes into town. It's not really far but I worry about her walking that far by herself.” I fell back on my backup, having prepared several requests in case he wanted to “buy” more enchantments from me. “Not a cheap one either, I want one like the one we took the capital. A nice covered one.”

He rubbed his chin, “Hardly a fair price.” He eyed me, “Do you have any more of those spell shield rings?”

And a short bout of haggling later I was down 3 spell shield rings and a week of my time but I got a really nice carriage just like the one we rode in last time… because it was that one. The family carriage would now be mine for exclusive use… i'll need to scrape the family sigil off it. I sighed, that wasn’t part of the deal but I didn’t need everyone stopping in the street whenever Riley went shopping.

12