Chapter 2
143 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The robot is looking at me!

Now that's what I call: not good.

Well, um...

I wave 'hi' at the robot.

Let's hope it's friendly.

...

...

"Who the heck's that waving at me?"

I'm Jag, a pilot of one of the famous MagiBots of the kingdom of Shulkelvain!
And there's a kid just there, waving at me! Even a normal person would be cautious around a royal defender's MagiBot! So what the heck is this guy doing? Doesn't he know that being next to a MagiBot is dangerous? What if I step on him?

Ah... He's walkin' away now... And in the same direction I'm going.

Perhaps he's going there...?

I speak using the MagiBot.

"Oi! You goin' to Posha for the MagiBot recruitment?!"

He holds a hand up to his ear. He didn't hear me? These 'Bots are loud so that their messages can get across, so color me surprised.

I start walkin' back to him and I see his features more clearly.
A puffyish looking jacket, long pants, and... Ah, his face.
Long and dark brown hair, glasses, and a mustache and beard.
Though... He's got the look of a kid who's only just grown that out.

Yup, definitely goin' to the MagiBot recruitment.

"What did you say?" he shouts.

"You goin' to the MagiBot recruitment in Posha? I'm headin' there right now and was wonderin' if y' needed a ride," I say.

"Sure," he replies.

"'Aight, hold up a moment."

I click some keys in the control panel for my MagiBot and it leans down, a ladder rolling out from an inconspicuous hole on the back of the MagiBot.

"Ay, a hole's open on the back of the 'Bot, so climb on in and we can get going."

He walks around then sees the rope ladder and climbs in.

"Thanks for that," he begins. "I had heard that there was a MagiBot recruit in Posha, but I had no idea where Posha was! Ah, I'm Berg by the way."

"No problem, Berg. You seemed lost... And y' had the right look for a new recruit! Oh, yeah, I'm Jag, the pilot o' the MagiBot Krueger! Do be sure to mention me at the recruitment." I say with pride. That's right! I named my MagiBot. Not everyone did that, but I did it for the fame that came with it.

Ah... I can already feel it.
The crowds cheerin' the names o' Krueger and its pilot, the great Jag!
Well, I've gotta be the best pilot for that to happen, but it all starts with a named 'Bot.
And I've got that!

Hehehe...

"'Aight, to Posha we go!" And with that statement, I close the access port and we start walkin' to Posha.

...

...

So.

There are indeed humans here, and they speak "English".

This is fine. I can survive.

Jag seems nice, but Krueger? Really? I can't help but dislike the name of his robot- Er, MagiBot. Well, that's a personal dislike, so I won't mention it.

On the other hand...
Posha, huh? And there's a MagiBot pilot recruitment station?
That's... Convenient. It should also tick off all the marks on my list for joining an unknown civilization.
This feels... I should ask Jag this.

"Hey Jag, mind if I ask some questions about the pilot recruitment?"

"Sure, go 'head! I'll tell y' 'bout my recruiting, but it might be different for this one."

"I'll keep it in mind. So, how often does this pilot recruitment thing happen?"

"Once every... Hmm... Couple o' months or so. Yeaaah. Three to four months between each one."

"Ok, ok. Are housing and food provided if I get in?"

"Yep. Whole academy and campus to go with it, too, so you'll be living with your fellow cadets if y' make it in."

"Nice, nice! Ah, what's the recruitment test like? Is there anything I can do to be prepared for it?"

At this question, he chuckles and gives me a sly grin, saying,

"The test, huh? I'm not too sure whether it's really a test or not nowadays, but you can count on 'em instructors using that fancy... Uh... 'Vee Arr' stuff that's been popular these last few years. Back in my day, we had a real engine of a machine that we used for training! It had all these dials and levers, pulleys and pedals. It's very tricky to use!"

I need a moment to take this all in. 'Vee Arr'? Sounds like VR to me. And I have experienced the sensation of virtual reality back on Earth before, so this should be a piece of cake!

But... What's this about pulleys and levers? Looking at what's here in this machine, it's got a display screen and some kind of keyboard in front of it, no pulleys and levers to be seen at all.

So I say, "Tricky to use... Ok, but has it changed since then? I'm not really seeing those dials and pedals you're talking about in Krueger."

"Ah, yeah. Technically, this is Krueger the third! The first and second ones had 'em though. I'll tell ya 'bout 'em, if you're curious."

"Sure, go ahead."

"Well, those two used old physical controls to walk around and do any kind of movin', really. It got real tiring, real fast. Though, those older coots say that it built your muscles up real good, but who'd want to work when y' don't have to? And sure enough, a good ten years pass and suddenly you can move MagiBots with your mind! That's what I'm using right now, by the way."

Sure enough, he had some sort of cap covering his head from the eyes up.

However, I have something else on my mind.
"That's awesome, but why do I feel that there are more advanced ways of controlling a MagiBot?"

"Hehe, you catch on real quick! The biggest advancement in last year came a bit after that Vee Arr. I hear it lets you become your MagiBot, but at the cost o' not having any o' the room you see here right now."

"Huh, interesting."
Full body control, but no passenger space?

This is exciting and all, but...

I need to think about everything I've just learned. Along with the implications of it.

There's one last thing to say.
"Now, uh, if you don't mind, I'm gonna take a nap back here. I've had a long journey."

"That's just fine, it'll be a good hour or two 'till we get to Posha. I'll wake y' up when we get there."

"Thanks, Jag."

I take off my jacket and make a pillow out of it, then lie down on the ground, makeshift pillow under my head.

I take my glasses off and set them aside.

Will I ever be able to go back home? I'm dead, aren't I...?

And, with the gentle rocking of the MagiBot's walking, I drift into sleep.

0