Chapter 199 – False Hopes; False Promises
95 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What the hell is this?” Medrauta’s eyes widened as she cast her gaze around the room.

What laid before her was perhaps the most grandiose sight she had ever seen, and although the way back down had closed behind her with an audible thunk, she had barely noticed it in the midst of the distracting glory that surrounded her.

The walls were draped in curtains and banners of velvet whereas the marble floor was lined with a multitude of expensive carpets that ran across the entirety of the vast room. Unlike Volutia’s vacuous chamber, various ornate pieces of furniture decorated the interior of this floor, ranging from gilded beds to filigreed tables and even chairs. Not a single piece of furniture was without extensive ornamentation, and even the windows were beautifully stained, creating artistic patterns that surpassed even those seen in the capital’s cathedral.

Though the room was clearly made for overly lavish habitation, it was far more akin to a treasury than anything else. In fact, mountains of gold and weaponry that appeared more decorative than functional were piled throughout the chamber, glittering brightly in the multicolored light that streamed through the windows. Even Scarlet was surprised at the room’s decor despite being accustomed to luxury.

However, not even such a vain and garish display could outshine the most distracting piece of the entire shimmering collection. Across from the group of six was a tall, gilded throne that was lined with red cushions. Upon it sat none other than the former prince, Galahad.

He shifted his position as the six approached him, a lazy smirk on his face as the knights and nobles could do nothing but be awestruck by the unnecessary opulence he had adorned his chamber in. Pitch-black armor like the Walpurgisknight’s adorned his body, his once-pink hair now a deathly shade of white.

Scarlet was the first to break free from the mesmerizing sight of the room’s expensive decor. She stepped forward without hesitation, striding toward Galahad purposefully. Despite her knight’s protests, she soldiered on, advancing toward the seated prince with an aura of anger and disappointment that was almost palpable.

“So it’s true.” Scarlet said. “You really did betray your own country.”

Galahad merely laughed. “An interesting choice of words, Scarlet. To say that I ‘betrayed’ my country would imply that it had done anything for me at all.”

Scarlet’s eyes narrowed. “The empire gave you a home. It educated you, clothed you, fed you. The empire raised you, Galahad. And this is how you repay everyone who ever served you? I’ve known vagrants with more honor than you.”

Galahad’s face twisted into an expression of irate irritation as he shot up from his throne, the plates of his pitch-black armor clinking from the sudden movement. For a moment, it seemed as if he would draw his sword and strike Scarlet, but he managed to control himself despite the fury within.

He had held back not for Scarlet’s sake, but for the sole reason that he still had things to say. Once he drew the greatsword on his back, violence would become the only language spoken by anyone in the room.

“Do not speak to me of honor, wench.” Galahad spat. “You know nothing of what I have suffered.”

Scarlet raised an eyebrow. “And yet, you sit here surrounded by riches and vanity. Things you always had, only not in such excess. Was this truly all it took to buy your loyalty?”

“Of course not.” Galahad scoffed. “These treasures may be beautiful, but they are merely a product of my efforts. You see, I took the liberty of taking back everything my sister stole from me. Is it not right that the future emperor should be surrounded by riches?”

“...You cannot be serious. I do not know what the witch promised you, but you cannot become emperor, Galahad.”

“I can. Once my sister is sacrificed for the ritual, her right of inheritance shall be passed onto me.”

Scarlet stared at him, her eyes widening in terrible realization. Her lips parted ever so slightly, speechless at the revelation the prince had given her. Beside her, Eris gave Scarlet a concerned look, the knight’s hand on her dagger as she prepared to launch into action at a moment’s behest.

“What’s wrong?” Galahad smirked. “Don’t tell me you never considered something so simple. Weren’t you supposed to be the greatest noblewoman in the history of the empire?”

“I...” Scarlet hesitated before continuing, unable to bear the horror of her epiphany. Had she been alone, she most likely would’ve shed tears already. “No... It can’t be...”

Galahad laughed, delighting in the noblewoman’s despair. However, nothing could prepare him for Scarlet’s next words.

“...The former prince of our nation couldn’t have been this stupid!” Scarlet exclaimed.

“W-What!?” Galahad snarled, all traces of humor draining from his face in an instant.

“You... Did you never pay attention to any of your lessons!?” Scarlet admonished. “...No. This goes beyond mere lessons. It is an integral part of being a knight, and I am sure everyone in this room is aware of just how idiotic you sound.”

“How dare you!?”

“Eris. Tell him.” Scarlet commanded. “I have lost all desire to continue conversing with this fool.”

Eris nodded, stepping in front of Scarlet and covering her lady as the raven-haired noblewoman spun on her heel and made her way back to the rear of their formation without sparing so much as a second glance in Galahad’s direction. 

This only served to anger the former prince further, his seething rage so great that it disrupted the mana in the air around him, causing it to appear in a crimson mist-like form around his shoulders.

“Your Imperial Hi—No. Galahad.” Eris began. “My lady is right. You are a fool for believing you could ascend the throne in such a manner. The right of inheritance is the right to bear the Solar Crest. Princess Gwenhwyfar’s possession of the Sunrise Crest is what gives her that right.”

“...And?” Galahad sneered. “I fail to see your point.”

Eris shook her head. Just like her lady, she was unable to comprehend how Galahad could’ve missed something so obvious. “You are a knight, Galahad. From the very moment you awakened as one, you never had a chance of seizing the throne through inheriting the Solar Crest.”

Now, it was Galahad’s turn to be stunned speechless. He stared at Eris, wide-eyed as the blonde-haired knight delivered her final words, shattering the former prince’s plan so thoroughly that nothing remained of it. He staggered backward, stumbling as if Eris’ had struck him with a powerful blow.

“Aha... Ahahaha....!” Galahad clutched his head in frustration, his eyes widening in a full expression of insanity. “How could I have missed something so obvious...? No... No! I refuse to believe it! There must... There must be a way! She promised! She promised me the throne if I swore my allegiance to her!”

“...So this is what they mean when they say a witch’s true power lies in her words.” Medrauta murmured, watching the former prince’s descent into insanity. “No matter who you are, merely listening to them will make you begin to lose yourself...”

Medrauta pursed her lips in contemplation, turning her attention away from Galahad’s mental breakdown for now. While she knew Clarent could provide protection from effects that targeted only the psyche, she also knew that her skill with her Oath hadn’t reached her mother’s level yet. Should Amelia possess a strong talent for mental attacks, Medrauta doubted she could fully shield herself from their effects.

“Even if that happens to you, I’ll be here to bring you back every time, Medrauta.” Viviane said reassuringly, noticing her knight’s concern. 

Medrauta flashed Viviane a grin, reaching out and giving her lady’s hand a squeeze before returning her focus to Galahad. Now that the former prince was recovering from his bout of insanity, she could no longer allow her thoughts to wander. 

Galahad reached for Galatine, the massive wyrblade on his back. His head snapped up, his wide eyes swimming with delirious rage as he glared at the group of six. “I... I will become emperor! So long as I kill you all here, the pact will be fulfilled!”

He charged forward, his blade lashing out at Eris. “My sister may have turned her back on me... Isabella may have forsaken me... But Amelia swore! She promised! I... I will see this through no matter what!”

Eris leapt out of the way calmly, dodging the wild swing with poise and grace. The prince’s words sounded almost desperate, yet they had a certain ring of conviction in them that cemented his desire to continue forging forward on this path of darkness though it would damn his soul.

The core of black mana that had long replaced his heart now ignited with a terrible fervor, causing his veins to emit a crimson light as black blood surged through them. An immense aura of red cloaked his entire body, empowering his physical abilities. Though his transformation was different in appearance to Volutia’s beastlike metamorphosis, it was still of the same witchborne nature.

When he stepped forward to attack again, his blade was intercepted, but not by the glowing blade of Eris’ Carnwennan. Instead, it was Leticia who had leapt forward to parry Galahad’s crushing strike. Her arm wavered slightly underneath the immensity of Galahad’s crushing strength for a moment before she solidified her position. Leticia stared into the former princes’ now-crimson eyes with a gaze of cold fury, emitting a murderous pressure that caused even Eris to back away.

“Medrauta, Eris.” Leticia said. “Take your ladies and head to the top. Galahad’s life... is mine to take.”

“What!?” Medrauta exclaimed, clearly worried for her friend. “That’s too risky!”

They had left Rosette and Estelle to deal with Volutia alone, but that was after they had managed to exhaust the former noblewoman. With Galahad fresh and empowered by whatever dark energies served him through his status as one of Amelia’s Sworn champions, Leticia would stand little chance alone.

“Very well, Leticia. We will ascend the stairway.” Scarlet said, turning her gaze to the stairs tucked away behind Galahad’s throne.

“L-Lady Scarlet...!?” Viviane stared at her friend in disbelief. She had expected Scarlet to object to Leticia’s ridiculous request instead of accepting without hesitation. “Why!?”

“...Because it was Galahad who slew Kate.” Rosaline answered this time. “Leticia has sworn to avenge her dear friend no matter what, and as her partner and lady, I shall stand by her decision even if we must both fall here.”

“...Lady Rosaline...”

Rosaline shook her head, speaking with as much determination as she could muster. “But we will not fall here. We will emerge victorious, Lady Viviane. So please go with Lady Scarlet... Your place is at the top of the Spire.”

Viviane stared at Rosaline with unparalleled worry. In her peripheral vision, she could see that Scarlet and Eris had already made their way to the staircase while Leticia continued fighting Galahad, her speed and strength vastly enhanced by the power of Rosaline’s Crest. In fact, she was moving so quickly and smoothly that it seemed as though she already knew where the former prince’s attacks would land even before they were issued.

“...Let’s go, Vivi.” Medrauta finally said after confirming with her own eyes that Leticia was capable of holding her own against the enhanced former prince. “I choose to believe in Leticia’s strength.”

Viviane released a sigh. If even Medrauta had placed her trust in Leticia, then there was nothing else she could do but wish for the dark-haired knight’s victory.

“...Alright. Please be careful, Lady Rosaline.”

Rosaline smiled gently. “I will.”

5