Chapter 10: Flight and Friendship
1.4k 7 74
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Kim POV]

"This is so embarrassing."(Kim)

After we ate, it was decided that we try flying again. Only this time, Jill was in her human form and had wings on her back while I was being held in a princess carry, which made me embarrassed.

"Do you have to carry me like this?"(Kim)

"Yes."(Jill)

Jill said with a smug look. We kept flying in search of a recognizable landmark.

"I'm sorry, but I don't find your smile to be very convincing.."(Kim)

I said with a deadpan expression.

"It is because who wouldn't want to hold someone they love like this?"(Jill)

Now my face became even redder than before from that comment.

"Was that necessary to say?!"(Kim)

I shout, trying to get my face back to its original color.

"Yes, because you doubted me. Now, what do you like."(Jill)

"That was random. Why do you ask?"(Kim)

I said after I finally stopped blushing

"Because I want to get to know you better."(Jill)

After some thinking, I came up with an answer.

"Huh, I like to read. Now, what do you like?"(Kim)

I asked, hoping to learn something about her.

"I like to hunt!"(Jill)

She said with no hesitation.

"Is that before all of this?"(Kim)

"I don't know. I only remember the last couple of days."(Jill)

My face is full of surprise at that answer.

"And you aren't worried by that at all."(Kim)

"Nope, not at all."(Jill)

She said in a carefree voice.

"I can't tell if you're carefree or dumb."(Kim)

"I just don't see the need to worry."(Jill)

"I see, carefree it is."(Kim)

It was at that time we finally saw some civilization I could recognize.

"I think this is the city next to my hometown."(Kim)

"I can't wait to see it!"(Jill)

her voice couldn't sound more excited if she tried.

"Could we land? I want to stretch my legs, and I can show you around."(Kim)

I also wanted to stop being carried like a princess.

"Sure."(Jill)

We land in a parking lot of a grocery store. I look around to see if I can find anyone to help me get back to the base, but the place is deserted and rundown. While walking toward my hometown, I couldn't help but notice the gradual deterioration of the surroundings as we approached the Shift's location.

"It's kinda sad to see my home like this."(Kim)

My voice was full of melancholy.

"What was it like before?"(Jill)

Jill asked with concern in her voice.

"It was lively, and the buildings were not in disrepair. Anyways, let's head to the Shift Gale said people are monitoring it, and we might find a way back that way."(Kim)

I said, trying not to think about it too much.

"Ok, but we should sleep soon. It's getting dark."(Jill)

Jill said as she looked up at the sky.

"Ok, let's find a building that isn't too damaged."(Kim)

We were able to find a solid hardware store, and we decided to sleep there. When we went to sleep, I had another strange dream. It wasn't as vivid as when I saw Jill, but the fear and stress felt real. But then I suddenly felt at ease.

[Gale POV]

I was in my office when I heard a commotion outside the door. Then it was slammed open by Lily, who looked out of breath.

"What is going on?"(Gale)

I asked, seeing how excited she was.

"I got it to connect!"(Lily)

She shouts between breaths.

"That's great. Do you know where she is?"(Gale)

I ask, hoping for an exact location.

"Unfortunately, it could only tell they were in a city."(Lily)

She said, finally catching her breath.

"I see I may be able to help narrow it down even more. Ivan said he was saved by a red blur with two tails near the Shift."(Gale)

I spoke with an assuring voice.

"That's good. Now we need to get a team together to look for her."(Lily)

"Yes, and I will lead it. I already asked Ivan, and he wants to help." (Gale)

My voice was full of conviction when I said that.

"I would love to go. Unfortunately, I need to keep an eye on my test subject. But I will let you know if I find out any more."(Lily)

Some disappointment in her voice as she said that.

"Ok, but do not break him yet."(Gale)

I said with anger in my voice when I remembered what he put Kim through.

"Yet? Gale, you are not usually this serious. You are normally shy and timid."(Lily)

Lily said in a joking tone.

"Yes, but when it comes to my friends and the people I care for, even I can get mad."(Gale)

"I find that hard to believe."(Lily)

Lily had never seen me mad, so it was hard for her to picture.

"It's true, I scared the person Ivan was talking to when I was looking for information."(Gale)

I got a slight giggle from her when I said that, which made me smile.

"Then we need to find her. The base will be in ruins if we don't."(Lily)

her tone was light, but she was serious about the base in ruins.

"I wouldn't go that far!"(Gale)

"No, I Would though."(Lily)

She was no longer hiding her intent as she spoke.

"I see, you're attached as well."(Gale)

"Yes, she never looked at me like I was mad, and she only really complained when I took her blood without asking. Plus, she listened to me and gave me good advice. What kind of friend would I be if I left her out there?"(Lily)

Lily was considered crazy by most people, and besides me, no one talked to her. So when Kim didn't freak out and treated her like a friend, it was no wonder she was worried.

"Not one either of us wants to be. I better head out. I will see you when we get back."(Gale)

I said with a soft smile to try to make her feel at ease.

"Better not be alone when you do."(Lily)

She said, smiling back at me. I started to scratch my cheek and looked to the side.

"No, I won't be."(Gale)

With that, I started to head to requisitions to get some transport to the city. On my way there, I managed to get a few more volunteers before requesting a humvee. They were able to get us one, but we had to wait for it to be ready in the morning.

[Jill POV]

She is finally asleep. I will now put one of my plans to make her fall for me into action. I slowly move the sandbag she used as a pillow out of the way and rest her head on my lap. Her face was strained before looks at peace in my lap.

"hehe, I'm glad you like my lap."(Jill)

I whispered as I stroked her hair. I then laid my back against the wall and went to sleep myself.

If I don't post any chapters this week it is because work has me busy, not because I'm dropping it

74