Chapter 19: Demon instructor and a Tail
845 4 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Kim POV]

After our lunch, it was back to training. Gale and I were in the ring again. I finally got to the step where the energy in my body was crossing through me, but then Gale knocked me down.

"I almost had it that time. Can't you go a little easier on me."(Kim)

"No, if I do that, your progress will slow. At least that's what Lily told me."(Gale)

"Fine then."(Kim)

I knew there was no point in arguing with something Lily told him, so I resigned to my fate. I got to my feet, and we started again. This went on for a bit until I couldn't move anymore.

"Looks like we should take a small break."(Gale)

"Haa haa.Demon instructor. haa haa."(Kim)

As I'm gasping for air, I say the first thing I think about Gale's training method. Jill appeared before I could get up from the mat and lifted my head onto her lap. My face Immediately became crimson as I looked up at her face, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Gale snickering.

"Um Jill, this is kinda embarrassing."(Kim)

I tried to get up, but Jill pulled my head back into her lap.

"Too bad you need to rest."(Jill)

While this happened, Lily looked through some papers, hoping to find a lead to see who freed Brick. Unfortunately, progress has been slow. So all we know right now is that whoever they are, they have information about Shift energy that Lily doesn't know. Ivan was doing laps around the base.

"Hey, is it alright for people to know about Jill?"(Kim)

Since Lily was at her desk, I asked her one of the questions I had been wandering about.

"What do you mean?"(Lily)

"Well, Jill has tails and fox ears. Won't people question that?"(Kim)

"Ah, that. People have spread a rumor that I'm conducting human-mutant experiments and that she is the first success. So it should be safe for people to see her."(Lily)

"It kinda ticks me off how little people think of you."(Kim)

"Well, it does have its perks, but yes, it does make me a little mad."(Lily)

Gale had grabbed some water bottles and handed me one.

"After that, you need to eat, then we will continue."(Gale)

"Fine."(Kim)

Jill finally let me get up so I could drink the water Gale gave me. Ivan returned covered in sweat after running around the base. It was good to see no one covered him in some strange liquid. Gale casually tossed him a water bottle as he walked over. He had a big smile when he saw Jill sitting behind me.

"Kim, you look like you're having fun."(Ivan)

"Loads, why don't you try sparing with Gale next?"(Kim)

I replied with some playful snark.

"I'll have to pass You still need to unlock your power."(Ivan)

"We were about to get something to eat. Do you want to come with us?"(Gale)

"I'd be delighted."(Ivan)

"Are we going to the cafeteria or staying here?"(Kim)

"While it might be safer to eat here, I might be able to smoke out someone if we eat out."(Lily)

"So I'm bait then."(Kim)

"Not really, we are just going to shake the tree and see what pops out. I don't think anyone will do anything, but we may see someone snooping around."(Lily)

"If you think it's fine, I won't object. But at the first sign of trouble. we leave."(Kim)

"Good, now that that is settled, I can observe how my test subjects handle being together in public."(Lily)

After getting out of the ring, we walked to the cafeteria. Gale and Lily looked closer than usual. I would think they moved their relationship further along. But she just might be worried that someone will try something. When we sat at the table in the corner, I decided to ask.

"Is it just me, or are you two closer now?"(Kim)

""Pff!""(Gale and Lily)

They both did a spit-take after I asked, which confirmed that they did get closer.

"So you did get closer."(Kim)

"Now is not the time."(Gale)

"Fine, but you will tell me the details later as compensation for your demon training."(Kim)

"I know the Doctor's reputation is bad, but doesn't seem a little too empty in here?"(Ivan)

He was not wrong. There were empty tables around us, even though it was close to dinner time. The only people here were either new or starving. Jill was too busy filling her plate to see if anyone was suspicious. I looked at Lily to see if she found someone.

"Is there anyone that stands out to you?"(Kim)

"No, sadly not."(Lily)

"How about you, Gale?"(Kim)

"No."(Gale)

Soon, we finished eating and returned to the lab. On the way back, Jill looked distracted by something.

"Is something wrong?"(Kim)

"I don't know, I feel something's off."(Jill)

"Off how?"(Kim)

"Like I feel something is being blocked in my nose or someone covering my ears."(Jill)

Lily quickly spun around to face Jill after hearing that. She looked at Jill with a stern expression.

"Are you sure?"(Lily)

"Y-yes."(Jill)

"We need to get to my lab now."(Lily)

When we entered the lab, Lily locked the door behind us. She looked around before walking up to Jill.

"Do you feel anything out of place now?"(Lily)

"No."(Jill)

"Lily, what happened?"(Kim)

"I think someone was blocking our perception to hide themselves."(Lily)

"So someone was following us?"(Kim)

"Looks like it, but Jill was able to tell something was off, and whoever it was couldn't hide all of their presence from her enhanced senses."(Lily)

"Isn't that a big problem? If we can't see them, how can we know who is spying on us?"(Kim)

"They probably can't keep it up for long."(Gale)

"Why do you think that?"(Kim)

"Abilities that work on people's minds are harder to control, even more so when used on multiple targets. Jill seems less susceptible, so as long as we travel in a group, we'll get them eventually."(Lily)

"OK if you say so, but I'm still somewhat worried."(Kim)

"Now that that is settled, time to get back to it."(Gale)

"First, tell me when you and Lily got closer."(Kim)

"Maybe if you beat me."(Gale)

"So you have no intention of telling me."(Kim)

Gale threw me a pair of gloves and hopped in the ring. I put them on and followed him into the ring, and we continued to train until it was time to sleep. Much to my embarrassment, Jill had to help me to my bed after the training session. When my head hit the pillow, I was off to dreamland.

Sorry this one took a while to come out. I was having some writer's block. I will try to have a new chap each week.

40