Chapter 26: Mom and Dad
697 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A bit of a short Chapter. Sorry for not posting in a while, work is still chaotic.

[Kim POV]

After Lily left, I could hear the doors to my parents' car open and the ruffling of some grocery bags. My heart was pounding with a mix of anxiety and anticipation. I knew my parents wouldn't care what I looked like now, but emotionally, I couldn't help but worry. Alex seemed to notice my anxiety because he started to giggle before speaking to me.

"It's good to see you haven't changed, always worrying about the most unlikely possibilities."(Alex)

As I was about to protest, the door swung open, and a woman who was the same height as my brother walked in, holding some bags. It was my Mom, who had brown hair that went down past her shoulders. Her blue eyes looked around the room. She was wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans.

"Where is he? Where is my baby?"(Mom)

My face turned bright red with embarrassment, and my brother did his best not to laugh. Not because he cared but because his sides were already sore. My Mom's eyes locked on me, and her smile got wider.

"Who are you? I didn't know Keven was bringing a girl home."(Mom)

That was all it took for my brother to start laughing and complaining about his sides hurting. My Dad entered the room and looked at my brother with a confused gaze. My Dad was 6'1 with short blond hair. He was wearing a red T-shirt and black cargo shorts. My Mom's gaze was fixed on me, anticipating my response.

"It's me, Mom. I'm Keven."(Kim)

Both of my parents looked at me like I grew a second head. After a while, their brains finally understood what they just heard. Mom was the first to understand.

"When I was told you looked different, I was not expecting this. How did this happen?"(Mom)

"Well, I don't know why I look like this, but I was mutated in a cocoon made of energy. Lily said that I'm not quite human anymore, but since I retained my senses, I can still be considered one."(Kim)

Alex gave me a confused look.

"I get how you're mutated, but you still look human."(Alex)

"For one, I have a healing factor. We don't know how much I can heal because we haven't tested it. But I do know that small cuts are no problem. Secondly, I can transform my body somewhat. I can grow claws on my hands and feet."(Kim)

My brother's eyes light up when I tell him about my transformation.

"Can you show us?!"(Alex)

"Sorry, I could only show you regeneration, but I don't want to cut myself."(Kim)

Alex got a joking smile.

"I'll do it for you."(Alex)

"You will not!"(Mom)

Mom glared at him.

"Mom, I was just joking."(Alex)

Dad looked away from Alex as he tried to back-peddle, hoping not to get involved. At this point, I felt I should save him.

"Mom, it's ok. I know he was joking."(Kim)

"Alright. I'll let it go, But I still have questions for you."(Mom)

Mom pointed to me after letting my brother off the hook.

"How long have you been awake?"(Mom)

I automatically respond with a witty answer.

"Since 5 am this morning."(Kim)

Mom let out a sigh.

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."(Mom)

Mom gave me a smack on the shoulder.

"Sorry."(Kim)

I replied with a snicker.

"So I was freed from the cocoon about a month ago."(Kim)

"Were you able to tell what was going on outside?"(Dad)

For the first time since he got here, Dad spoke up.

"Nope, it didn't even feel like time passed. One moment I was going to work, the next I was in a strange room. The first people I saw were Gale and Lily. It was quite the memorable meeting"(Kim)

"How did it go?"(Alex)

"Lily was hung over Gale's shoulder like a sack of potatoes while covered in pig's blood."(Kim)

"When I saw her earlier, she didn't seem like the crazy type."(Alex)

"She isn't. She's just odd."(Kim)

"Before we continue. Could you both help us put this stuff out?"(Dad)

Alex and I both nodded our heads. While we were setting everything out, Lily returned. Mom instantly zoned in on her.

"So Keven Did bring a girl home. You can just call me Mom, may I have your name?!"(Mom)

Lily started to take steps back while Mom was hounding her. Before Lily could hit the wall behind her, I intervened.

"Mom, that's Lily. She is here to supervise me, and we are just friends."(Kim)

Mom instantly deflated after hearing my words. She looked over at me.

"I wonder if the day will come when I can tease you about love."(Mom)

After hearing that, Lily got a mischievous smile and then looked at me.

"So you haven't told them about Jill yet."(Lily)

I looked at Lily with betrayal in my eyes. But before I could say anything, I was suddenly interrogated by someone I was not expecting, Alex.

"Who is Jill, and why are we only hearing about this now? Did you finally get a girlfriend after the apocalypse?! What is she like?!"(Alex)

My face turned red before I responded.

"We are not like that!"(Kim)

"But you want to be. Right."(Alex)

While I hesitated to answer, my Dad had a proud look.

"Why do you care? I was expecting this from Mom, not you."(Kim)

"How can I not? For the first time in your life, there is a girl you are interested in. So what is she like?"(Alex)

Seeing as Alex would not let this go. I thought about how to answer him. Well, since part of my visit was to ask for advice. I decided to be as honest as I could.

"First, as for if I like her. Yes or I think like I do. Second, she is impulsive, assertive, and somewhat clumsy."(Kim)

I could hear my Mom practically squeal when I admitted I liked Jill.

"Could we finish getting the food out before we continue? I feel this is going to take a while."(Dad)

"Sorry, Dad."(Kim/Alex)

28