Volume 1 Chapter 4: Journey Towards Destiny
1.9k 3 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4: Journey Towards Destiny

As Aldar gradually awoke, his senses still tingling from the sheer intensity of his vision, a profound realization washed over him. The fervent desires that had surged through him in the dream clung to his being, unabated and persistent, akin to an unquenchable fire that refused to be extinguished.

Restless and unsettled, he tossed and turned in his bed, grappling with the unfamiliar impulses that now consumed him. His mind raced with thoughts that were both exhilarating and impassioned, filling him with a sense of intrigue.

Suddenly, a gentle knock on his door startled him, prompting him to swiftly regain composure. "Aldar, are you awake? Are you feeling better now?" inquired Maero.

Clearing his throat, Aldar endeavored to shake off the remnants of his dream. Rising to open the door, he replied, "Hey Maero, all is well. Just a bit shaken from yesterday's ceremony." Maero observed Aldar, remarking, "You truly appear so different from your former self. That divine touch has undeniably transformed you. Well, hurry up, breakfast is about to commence. You know how delightful the morning meal is after the ceremony. I'll go ahead, so join us when you're ready."

As Maero departed, Aldar studied his reflection in the nearby mirror. His heart swelled with satisfaction as he took in the changes. His mana was now clearer, its flow smooth and vigorous. It was as if the divine blessing had stirred up a maelstrom within him, a powerful transformation that he now wore with pride.

After swiftly changing into his day clothes, Aldar hastened to breakfast, determined to arrive before Erat could devour his portion. Upon opening the door to the hall, all eyes turned to him once again, making him the center of attention.

Desra and Erat regarded him with sly grins. "So, Aldar, did our divine saint candidate sleep well?" Erat's voice rang out, his playful tone echoing the mischief in Desra's grin.

Playing along, Aldar replied with a playful smirk, "Like a baby, Erat, dreaming of the divine delicacies that awaited me at breakfast. I hope you've left some for me." To this, Desra retorted with a playful roll of her eyes, "If you're dreaming of food that much, Aldar, perhaps you were divinely chosen for the kitchens instead." The room erupted in laughter, the warm sound puncturing the morning's tense silence.

The merriment was interrupted by the entrance of The Sanctum Sentinel, their commanding presence demanding everyone's attention. The three privates looked at Aldar with a strange mixture of admiration and longing, their eyes revealing volumes. Ylnas, their Captain, broke the silence, her voice holding a hint of amusement. "Well, if it isn't our saint candidate? Already up and about, you had us a bit worried yesterday. But I believe our worries are unfounded, considering the strength of your appetite."

A blush crept onto Aldar's cheeks at her comment and the combined attention of the privates. Erat, never one to miss an opportunity for a jest, chuckled, remarking, "It seems our Saint candidate is quite popular among the Sentinels."

Aldar, trying to hide his embarrassment, took a sip of his water, choking on it as Aethe's voice cut through the moment. "You see, Aldar, their gazes are filled with perversion as they study you like prey. I warned you, if you're not careful, their intentions won't be limited to mere observation."

Aethe's words echoed through the room, prompting the privates to lower their eyes, visibly embarrassed by having their inappropriate thoughts exposed. The air grew tense, punctuating the realization that not all admiration came from a place of pure intentions.

Aldar's cheeks heated up as memories of his vivid dream flooded his mind. He tried to focus on his breakfast, hoping the intense concentration would divert attention from his flustered state.

The Sanctum Sentinel took their seats, the atmosphere tainted with an uncomfortable silence following Aethe's distasteful remarks. The clinking of utensils against plates was the only sound breaking the awkward stillness as everyone became absorbed in their own thoughts.

As breakfast continued, the silence persisted, only broken by the clinking of utensils against plates. Aethe's discomfort remained visible, casting a shadow over the meal and dampening the spirits of those present.

Eventually, Ylnas shattered the silence, addressing Aldar directly with the weighty reality of his situation. "Given your divine selection, Aldar, upon your eighteenth year, a pilgrimage to the main Cathedral becomes obligatory. The Pontificia will expect a commitment of at least two years of service under the Cathedral's hallowed arches.

Once you turn twenty, your path forks into two distinct avenues. You could join the esteemed ranks of the Royal Academy of Xalendir, immersing yourself in the studies of healing and nursing to serve as a restorative force. Alternatively, you could opt to gather experience with us, The Sanctum Sentinels, venturing on epic quests across the realm, spreading the blessings of The Pantheon of Xane."

Caught in the gravity of Ylnas's words, Aldar felt his mind whirl with possibilities. He knew he had to choose a path that aligned with his divine calling, the destiny he had been entrusted with. "I don't know if I'll join The Sanctum Sentinels, but I do want to roam the realm. I also want to study restoration, to become the best healer I can be. I think I'll discuss this with Zelena and Mitro. Maybe there is a way to both heal and adventure across the realm."

Ylnas smiled at his words, her eyes sparkling with a mix of disappointment and respect. "Well, should you ever wish to join us, the door is always open."

As Ylnas's words filled the room, the privates exchanged discreet fist bumps, their faces brightening with renewed hope and desire.

———

By midday, The Sanctum Sentinels were prepared to depart, ready to return to the Main Church of Xane to report on their findings. All the boys, except for Aethe, joined Zelena and Mitro in bidding them farewell.

As they prepared to leave, Ylnas called out to her privates. "Now's the time to clear your heads and voice your farewells properly, lest you earn the boys' ire." Panicked, the girls responded in unison. "Thank you for the time spent together, we hope we didn't cause too much discomfort."

Aldar spoke on behalf of the boys, "Thank you all for your help during the ceremony and have a safe trip back!" Erat couldn't resist a final tease. "So, it wasn't The Sanctum Sentinels who were enamored, it was you, Aldar?"

The Sanctum Sentinels' cheeks colored with embarrassment, mirroring Aldar's own flustered face. The awkward moment was quickly overtaken by shared laughter. As the laughter ebbed away, the Sentinels rode out, waving until they disappeared from sight.

———

Three long years had flowed by since Aldar's divine transformation, and he now stood as the eldest among his peers at the orphanage. His companions of yore had since parted ways, embarking on paths distinctively their own, while new, younger faces filled the void they had left. As the senior-most member, Aldar was neck-deep in preparations for his exams at the School of Restoration.

During one tranquil evening, while he was quietly reflecting on the past, he was joined by Zelena and Mitro at the dinner table. Their eyes, brimming with anticipation and unspoken queries, met his. "So, Aldar," Zelena finally broke the silence, "Once you've fulfilled your mandatory two-year service at the main Cathedral, what path do you see yourself pursuing? Will you take up residence in the illustrious Royal Academy of Xalendir, or do you intend to join an adventurous cohort on an exciting quest?"

Pausing to gather his thoughts, Aldar replied, "I've been pondering over this for a while now. My inclination is to continue my journey at the Academy, where I can refine my skills and perhaps even discover like-minded souls yearning for adventure. My proficiency in the School of Phantasmagoria has enhanced significantly. I can now create convincing illusions of myself and even manipulate my surroundings. Add to this my supplementary stealth training, and I believe I could carve a unique niche for myself in an adventurous cohort."

His voice dropped an octave as he continued, "And let's not forget Aethe's fate, the forceful approach solely because of his pure elven lineage. The elves guard their pure-blooded males zealously, sometimes to the point of robbing them of their freedom. I fear Aethe may not have the liberty to live out his dreams."

Zelena nodded with understanding, her eyes mirroring Aldar's determination. "Indeed, following up your journey at the Academy would be a wise decision. Not only could you further refine your skills, but you could also acquire new ones. Additionally, you may stumble upon individuals who will allow you to adventure the realm with out hassle"

Mitro chimed in, "That's true. The Academy is a great place to make connections and build a network. You might meet people who knows of a quest or a job that requires your skills. It's always good to have a diverse group of friends and acquaintances."

Aldar smiled, feeling reassured by his mentor’s words. "Thank you, both of you. I feel better about my decision now. After fulfilling my compulsory two-year service at the main Cathedral, I will step foot into the Academy, excited to see where that path might lead me."

———

The day of destiny had arrived, marking his official graduation from the nurturing embrace of the Moonshade Orphanage.

Adhering to the age-old tradition, Aldar ventured alone into The Sanctum Pavilion, where his mentors were prepared to examine his academic prowess. His stride was filled with a potent blend of confidence and anticipation. His prowess lay predominantly in the School of Restoration, followed closely by his understanding of the School of Phantasmagoria. However, his knowledge of the School of Whispered Veils was rudimentary at best, having just mastered the art of minimizing his presence and treading without a sound.

As he gently pushed open the grand door, Mitro and Zelena greeted him, their faces a mix of pride and solemnity. Mitro's voice echoed through the silent pavilion, "Aldar, given your exceptional command over the School of Restoration, we deem it fit to evaluate you as an advanced practitioner. Your test today will require you to employ the ‘Restoration of Health’ chant. Though you are capable of condensing the incantation, we urge you to chant the entire spell for the sake of this test. Your proficiency in the fundamentals is what we wish to assess."

Before him lay a deer, its broken bones a challenge for his skills. Aldar focused all his energy, determined to perform his best and validate the faith his mentors had placed in him. Taking a deep breath, he initiated his chant:

Restoration of Health: "By the pantheon of Xane, Restore this form, let vitality reign. Let the bones mend, and the pain cease, In the name of [Aldar], I command peace."

As his resonant voice faded, a miraculous transformation unfolded. The deer's broken bones knit back together, restoring it to its original vitality. Mitro and Zelena's faces lit up with pride. Zelena, her smile wider than ever, chimed in, "A saint candidate's healing power indeed differs from the rest. Congratulations, Aldar! You have earned the insignia of an advanced healer. I foresee your quick ascend to an expert and eventually a master healer. Mitro, it seems Aldar might surpass your healing expertise sooner than you expect."

Taken aback, Mitro stuttered his defense, "Well, I-I hope I have a few more years before that happens." Without missing a beat, Zelena playfully countered, "A true mentor should rejoice in their student's success, not dread their surpassing expertise."

As the test concluded, both Zelena and Mitro approached Aldar, their faces serious. Zelena started, "Aldar, we wish to enlighten you about the world beyond this sanctuary, so that you traverse it with wisdom and caution. Life within this monastery has been peaceful and uneventful, but remember, the world outside is not as forgiving. Your brotherhood here has kept you safe, but that might not hold true out there. Aethe's wariness of women might seem extreme, but in the realm of Imzara, where men are few, his caution may serve you well. So, when choosing friends, partners, or lovers, be mindful."

With a growing sense of apprehension, Aldar sought to calm Zelena's evident worry. "I understand your concern, Zelena. I assure you, I'll be cautious. While I can't view all women with Aethe's degree of distrust, I'll certainly not be naive in my interactions. Your advice will not go unheeded." His words seemed to soothe Zelena, easing the worry lines on her face.

Mitro, taking over the conversation, added, "In the days to come, The Sanctum Sentinel will be assigned to safeguard your journey to the capital, Illudin."

———

Embracing the kaleidoscope of emotions - exhilaration, fear, anticipation - Aldar faced the future with newfound resilience. He was stepping into a new chapter of his life, leaving behind the familiarity of his past eighteen years. As he fell asleep for the final time within the comforting walls of Moonshade Orphanage, he dreamt of the adventures that awaited him in Illudin.

Should i increase the spacing?
  • Yes Votes: 18 34.0%
  • No Votes: 35 66.0%
Total voters: 53
39