Volume 1 Chapter 14: Carriage Banter and Drunken Antics
1.1k 6 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having been awakened early by a knocker-up, Aldar rushed to prepare himself and his belongings for the carriage. This time, it would be his squad's first real adventure together.

In his rush, Aldar arrived at the carriage with an assortment of luggage. The coachwoman greeted him with a question, “Hello sir, are you certain you need all these belongings? Aren't you going on an assigned mission?"

"Eh? What do you mean? Aren't you supposed to bring your essentials with you? Soap, cleaning products, food, and all other necessities?" Aldar replied with a confused look.

His inquiry was cut short by Rin's sudden appearance. “Haha, boy, you're only supposed to bring survival essentials. Go back, repack your gear, travel light with a backpack. If you don’t own one, I’ll lend you one of mine until you get your own. Be quick, everyone is already inside the carriage waiting for you.”

Aldar hurried back to his room and repacked his items into the backpack.

Having left most of his belongings behind, Aldar reluctantly made his way to the carriage with heavy steps.

As he opens the door to the carriage, his whole squad is there waiting for him, though as usual, the Imyuns’ are being mischievous with Zendia and Trixie was tied up inside.

As he opened the carriage door, his whole squad was there, waiting for him. The Imyuns' were their mischievous selves, Zendia greeted him flirtatiously, and Trixie was tied up inside.
Partly ignoring Trixie's situation, Aldar greeted his teammates. Zendia responded with a flirty smile, the Imyuns' greeted in sync as usual, and Trixie's greeting was a mere mumble through the bindings.

With Aldar aboard, Rin instructed the coachwoman to set off for their destination, before nimbly vaulting through the carriage window herself.

As the carriage moved, the white-clothed Imyun asked Aldar, "Hah, Aldar, I heard you tried to bring luggage enough for a whole squad. What in the name of Xetone did you even try to bring with you?"

Aldar responded, "Well, I wanted to bring a bed set, since we are going to have to sleep somewhere, and some cooking tools as we'll probably eat on the road. Zelena, my mentor from the orphanage, always said that a man who cooks for his squad is looked upon with favor."

Zendia's face lit up with amusement as she heard Aldar's innocent explanation. With a playful twinkle in her eyes, she leaned in and replied flirtatiously, "You know, Aldar, you don't need to put on a show to win me over. As for that bed set of yours, why don't we consider sharing it tonight?"

Zendia's comment ignited fire inside Trixie's eyes, and her muffled cries grew even more intense.

Aldar politely declined Zendia's offer, saying, "Thanks, Zendia, but I've learned my lesson about entering a woman's room without proper care." This earned him a confused look from everyone except for Trixie, who quickly fell silent and looked away.
Unable to suppress his curiosity, Aldar asked, "Why is Trixie bound with ropes?"

"Those were the orders from the Pontificia," the black Imyun replied, a mischievous grin dancing on her face. "The moment she entered the carriage, Rin bound her. Does this perhaps relate to the lesson you recently learned?"

Feeling a touch of discomfort at the question, Aldar offered a cautious admission, "Kind of, but it was partly my fault as well."

With a questioning look, the white Imyun asked, “What do you mean 'partly' your fault? What could a handsome boy like you possibly have done to deserve getting on Trixie’s apparently bad side?"

"Well…uh…seeing Zendia's teasing ways, I thought I'd give it a try with Trixie," Aldar confessed, a blush creeping up his cheeks. "I found it amusing at first, but I didn't anticipate things escalating so quickly. Once you start, it's rather hard to dial things back…"

Hearing Aldar's confession, Zendia's flirtatious grin widened as she coyly angled herself towards him, "Well, it appears we need to address this situation. We can't leave a handsome boy like you traumatized, and I believe I know just the remedy." As she finished her sentence, she sent a provocative smile in Trixie's direction, triggering a muffled shriek from the bound girl.

Rin intervened in the conversation, stating firmly, “Remember, by the authority of the Pontificia, I am allowed to be the judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to matters related to the saint candidate. Should any of your actions harm him, either physically or emotionally, I will take action.”

Never one to back down, Zendia shot back, "A true gentlewoman would never allow a man to feel discomfort, and I am the epitome of a gentlewoman. Aldar, I pledge to aid you in overcoming your trauma, within the boundaries you set. Since you've developed a taste for a bit of teasing, perhaps I could bind Trixie and help you vent some of that pent-up frustration on her.” As she concluded, she cast a teasing look at Trixie, a sly smile on her face.

The bold proposal caused the Imyuns to blush deeply as they glanced at Aldar. The intensity of the situation caused Aldar to stutter out a clarification, his arms flailing in a futile attempt to control the situation, “I-It was a one-time mistake… Sure, it was nice in the beginning, but being restrained scared me… I didn’t mean for it to go that far…”

The crimson shade of the Imyuns' deepened, and Zendia's smile grew even more subtle, as she patted Trixie's head.

In perfect synchrony, the Imyuns' stammered out, "I-I didn't think there existed men who could be so audacious. Aldar, isn't the legendary Moonshade orphanage an all-boys monastery? The so-called dream of all priestesses."

Blushing at the Imyuns’ comment, Aldar responded, “The only female who lives in the Monastery is Zelena… So when I finally came to the main cathedral in Illun, I was excited. Seeing so many people interact with each other. Though I can see that no other man interacts with the women, so maybe I am a bit different… Though I do like interacting with ladies, maybe it's why Xalena chose me?”

“Boy, nothing wrong with socializing with the women in the cathedral; the Pontificia's protection is absolute,” Rin assured Aldar. “This mission may be your first interaction with common women. Consider yourself warned: an average woman can be far more fierce than these so-called squad mates you have around.”
Unperturbed, Aldar responded confidently, “No worries, Rin! During my time at the orphanage, Zelena and Mitro taught me well for situations just like this.”

Taking on her mentorship role with gusto, Rin gave Aldar a proud smile and began her instruction, “I'm certain your mentor, Zelena, has told you that men are somewhat rare. It's uncommon for a squad to have a man in it. In our pantheon, men can serve as healers within a church, but they are always under vigilant protection. Your perspective might be skewed due to your sheltered upbringing, but a man wandering freely in a typical city or village is likely to face the threat of abduction and enslavement. Your so-called 'squad mates' are your protectors. That's why you didn't choose them, which is a deviation from the standard procedure. These individuals have been purposely trained for this role.”

The white Imyun spoke up, her voice resounding with pride, “That's right! Three years ago, an Elder entrusted me with the task of becoming a squad mate for the new saint candidate, though I had no idea that you would be a male.”

Trixie, still bound, nodded her agreement, which drew a look of incredulity from Aldar. In response to his skepticism, Trixie tries to explain herself but all that comes out is gibberish because of the bindings.

Zendia, straightening her back and says, “When my talents were recognized and I was given my accolade, a high-ranking paladin gave me my mission - to serve as the vanguard for the new saint candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if Rin was chosen as our mentor because of her esteemed status as a war hero of Illun. The Pontificia has certainly assembled a formidable team to ensure your safety.”

Rin, acknowledging Zendia's words with a nod, added, “While my strength was indeed a factor, my speed was the key reason I was chosen. In case of danger, I am to protect you all, but if that doesn’t work then I am supposed to pick you up boy and run for our lives.”

A collective gasp of "What?" followed Rin's statement, prompting the black Imyun to ask, “But, teacher, what about us?”

Rin, displaying a stoic expression, retorted, “What a naive question. The golden rule for all gentlewomen is 'men and children first'. Women should be capable of defending themselves.”

———

As the team made their approach to the village via carriage, Rin proceeded to release Trixie from her bindings. A spectacle caught Aldar's attention, the marks from the bindings on Trixie's skin dissipated almost instantly. "Woah," Aldar expressed his astonishment, "I wasn't aware that your constitution allowed you to regenerate this quickly, Trixie."

Finally free from her bindings, Trixie adjusted her voice after being bound for so long, “Ahem, yes. I kept some of the abilities I acquired from my corrupted constitution. Please heal me, though, if the regeneration seems slower than usual. The speed of regeneration depends on my vitality, so if I continually get hurt, it slows down. Before we exit the carriage, the Pontificia provided me with a robe for you; it should keep your appearance concealed."

“Oh, thanks. But the robe seems to be enchanted? Or is that just me?” Aldar asked.
Rin informed Aldar, “No, you are correct. The robe has some additional functions to aid you in protection and to hide your appearance through obfuscating light. Now, let us greet these villagers.”

As the carriage approached the palisade, a guard called out, “Hail, practitioners of Xane! Please enter and be welcome.” The carriage made its entrance into the village, and the squad disembarked, with Aldar being the last to step out. Rin, meanwhile, had managed to slip away unnoticed.

Exiting the carriage, the team was met by the village chief. "Greetings, warriors of Xane," he welcomed them warmly, "I am Kio, the chief of this humble settlement. Welcome to our village."

Assuming his role as the group's leader, Aldar stepped forward, mimicking the formal diction he had observed Ylnas using. "Greetings, Chief Kio of Jutin Village. I am Aldar, the leader of this squad. Beside me are Zendia, Trixie, and the Imyuns'. We are on a mission to eradicate the monsters causing distress in your village. Any information you can provide about this menace will be greatly appreciated."

Chief Kio responded promptly, "As the day draws to a close, let's discuss this further within my humble abode. You're welcome to spend the night there before embarking on your mission. My first-born daughter will be your guide to the site of the infestation tomorrow. But for now, please follow me to your accommodations."

With Zendia's confirming nod, Aldar graciously accepted the chief's offer. "Your hospitality is greatly appreciated, Chief Kio. The journey in the carriage has left us somewhat fatigued, so a night's rest in your abode is most welcome."

While making their way to their temporary lodgings, the black Imyun subtly leaned towards Aldar, as she subtly chided, “Why did you speak as if you had a stick up your butt? You sounded like one of those lofty nobles.”

A chorus of laughter erupted amongst the team at the black Imyun's comment, and Aldar could only respond, “Well... I was merely mimicking the way the sanctum sentinel addressed the guard at Illun's gates.”

“No wonder,” interjected the white Imyun, “The captain of the sanctum sentinel, Ylnas from the House of Maple, is a noble. It makes perfect sense now.”

As they strolled through the village, Aldar noticed the absence of men; even male children were non-existent. Each household seemed to be filled solely with women. He leaned towards Trixie and whispered, "Trixie, I knew there were few men in the world, but if there are none at all in these types of villages, how do they procreate?”

Clearly pleased at Aldar's personal approach, Trixie explained with a smile, "Three times in a woman's life, she may visit a Fertility Hall without charge. Usually located within cities, mages there facilitate the transfer of a man's seed to the woman. This is the most common method of insemination for common women. Nobles, on the other hand, hire a man they fancy or a charmer for insemination. The purer the man's lineage and the higher his mana affinity, the greater his value."

Having reached the chief's hut, Kio gestured to his humble abode. "You are welcome to use my hut for your stay. My daughters will arrive shortly with food and drink. Now, if you'd excuse me."

No sooner had the chief left, Aldar turned to his squad mates and asked, a hint of embarrassment in his voice, "Does... Does this mean we'll all be sharing this space for sleeping?"

With a twinkle in her eye, Zendia responded, "Didn't you bring a bed set with you? I believe this would be an excellent opportunity to put it to use. I don't think we should mention it to the chief though, it might compromise your disguise." She subtly winked at Trixie, prompting her to add, “It sounds like a great plan. This way, you'll be safe right next to us, me on your right, Zendia on your left, and maybe the Imyuns' above you. A perfect security arrangement. How about we...”

Before Trixie could complete her sentence, a knock echoed and a voice rang out, "Greetings, warriors of Xane. I am Lesra, the chief's eldest daughter. I bring you your evening meal and drinks."

Upon her clap, other villagers entered carrying plates of hearty stew. As they served everyone, Lesra approached Aldar and said, "Thank you for accepting this mission. Please enjoy our finest brew," she offered Aldar a mug of frosty beer.

Caught off-guard by the unexpected gift, Aldar thanked her and accepted the brew, his heart fluttering with anticipation for his first taste of alcohol. In his excitement, he failed to notice the sly smiles exchanged among his squad mates.

“Enjoy your meals, and if you need anything, just ask and a servant will assist you," Lesra offered. Before leaving, she cast a glance at Aldar and added, “We can also provide company for the night, should anyone desire it."

Once the villagers and Lesra had departed, Aldar broke the silence, "I thought the robe concealed my appearance? Did they see through it?”

Trixie responded to Aldar’s question, “No, Aldar. She probably believes you are a noble, since you are not going to earn fame from hiding your identity, which is crucial for squads.”

Feeling a tad left out, Aldar responded, “How is it that all of you seem to know everything already? It feels like I'm the only newbie here.”

Zendia gave him a rare stoic look and replied, “Though we haven't been a proper squad until now, I think it's safe to say we have undertaken a few missions together. Priestesses-in-training usually undergo their rites of passage to adulthood with a monster-elimination quest at the age of fifteen, with each subsequent year bringing a tougher mission.”

“So I am the only one truly new to this!" Aldar exclaimed, a sense of betrayal creeping into his voice. "I can't help but feel duped into becoming the leader. Did all of you conspire to orchestrate this?”

“Such delicious food,” the Imyuns' chimed, deftly changing the subject. “We must commend the chef on their skills.”

“I couldn't agree more," Trixie chimed in, diligently avoiding Aldar's gaze. “Zendia, don't let it get cold. The food is simply divine.”

“Indeed,” Zendia agreed, her gaze intentionally avoiding Aldar's. “The stew is robust and bursting with rich flavors, overflowing with generous pieces of meat. It's quite the culinary delight, particularly surprising for a village tucked away in such a remote location.”

A ripple of laughter filled the air, followed by the sudden appearance of Rin who deftly snatched some food from the trio, who were intentionally ignoring Aldar. Turning to Aldar, Rin spoke with a note of amusement, “These fools may have gone adventuring before you, Aldar, but they have proven incapable of successfully following each other's orders. Each of them has tried and failed at leading. Therefore, it is only fitting that you ascend to the role of leader.” Pausing for a brief moment, Rin added a playful caveat, “Just bear in mind, leadership doesn't come with beer privileges.” In one swift movement, Rin swiped the entire mug of beer from Aldar and drained it.

A collective “Tch” echoed from the disgruntled trio as Rin flashed them a sly grin and disappeared, leaving behind a noticeable absence of meat in their stews.

The trio mumbled shared curses under their breath at Rin's audacity, their irritation deepening as they realized that Rin had selectively stolen only the meat from their stews.

———

Having wrapped up their meal and requested a few additional rounds of beer, Zendia, in a state of slightly alcohol-induced courage, beckoned Aldar with a slurred challenge. “Well, young man, how about we put that bed set of yours to some use? I've noticed your adventurous spirit, Aldar. And I, Aldar, I got a deep dungeon you can explore as a proper adventure.” Zendia shot Aldar a teasing, inebriated smile as she sauntered closer, her approach amplifying the pounding heartbeat within Aldar's chest.
Caught in a similar drunken haze, both Imyun and Trixie found themselves battling a rising tide of suppressed desire. Aldar could feel his cheeks flush with anticipation, a subtle thrill coursing through him. Yet, his rational mind managed to reign supreme. He stammered, “I-I don’t think that’s the best course of action, Zendia.”

Just as Zendia reached out to Aldar, Rin materialized behind her, delivering a swift, light chop to her neck that sent her slumping unconscious. With nimble ease, Rin caught Zendia and casually tossed her to one side, saying, “I believe it's high time for this crew to retire for the night.” As she finished her statement, Rin fixed her gaze on the remaining two squad members, a stern warning in her eyes that had both Imyun and Trixie hastily diving into their bedrolls. “Goodnight, young man. Remember, should any of them cross any boundaries, say my name twice consecutively, and I will materialize to your aid.”

Grateful, Aldar replied, “Thank you, Rin! Here's hoping you get a good night's rest.”

———

18