Volume 1 Chapter 25 Echoes of Recovery and Whispered Calls
409 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aldar and Tyana, their breaths still heavy from the recent event, were now a mix of embarrassment and exhaustion. Tyana, with a sly grin, reached into her subspace pocket and produced a coat, handing it to Aldar.

“Don't want you roaming around naked, now do we?” she teased, her voice tinged with a hint of affection.

As Aldar slid into the coat, its hem teasingly brushed just the right length to stir the imagination. A sly smile curled the corners of his mouth. He glanced up at Tyana, his gaze alight with a roguish and seductive twinkle.

“You know, Tyana,” he said, giving the coat a playful tug, the hemline barely maintaining modesty. “I must say, this is an... interesting choice. It makes me wonder what other 'rescue outfits' you have in store.”

Tyana's cheeks flushed a delicate shade of pink, her eyes momentarily flickering away before meeting Aldar's gaze again. A shy yet affectionate smile tugged at her lips as she spoke, her voice softer, tinged with a hint of vulnerability.

"Well, Aldar, this coat... it's not just any coat," she began, her fingers lightly brushing the fabric. "It's one of my personal favorites, something I hold dear. I... I wanted to share something of mine with you."

Her gaze was earnest, “So, maybe it's a bit more than practicality,” she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper. “I wanted you to have a part of me with you, even in such a small way. It's silly, I guess, but... it felt right to offer it to you."”

Tyana's eyes held a soft, dreamy quality. There was a brief pause where she seemed to gather her thoughts, and then her lips moved slightly, a murmur escaping them. It was so faint, so delicately spoken, that Aldar couldn't catch the words.

“And once I get it back,” she whispered to herself, her voice a mere breath, “it'll be painted with your essence, a treasured piece forever infused with a part of you.”

Seeing Tyana's lips move in a murmur, Aldar tilted his head slightly, a look of curiosity crossing his face. “Sorry, I didn't catch that,” he said gently. “Did you say something just now?”

Tyana's cheeks tinted a deeper shade of pink, and she quickly shook her head, her shyness evident in her hasty response. “Oh, it was nothing, Aldar,” she said, her voice regaining some of its earlier playfulness to mask her true feelings. “Just talking to myself, I guess. You know, just one of those random thoughts.”

The playful banter lingered for a moment before fading, as Aldar's energy seemed to ebb away. The adrenaline that had fueled him during their recent ordeal was now dissipating, leaving him visibly drained. His once steady stance began to falter, his body swaying slightly as the toll of their activity caught up with him.

Tyana, quick to notice the change, inched closer, her expression shifting from teasing to concern. “Aldar?” she asked, her voice now soft and laden with worry.

Aldar, struggling to maintain his composure, managed only a weak nod in response. His exhaustion was evident.

Sensing his vulnerability, Tyana effortlessly hoisted him onto her back, his body draped over hers like a cloak. As she began to move, Aldar felt the steady rhythm of her steps, and despite the peculiar position, he found a strange comfort in her steadfast presence. The warmth of her body and the gentle sway of her movements offered a soothing contrast to the chaos they had just endured.

With a mix of comfort and embarrassment, Aldar let himself be carried away by the fatigue that enveloped him. His head rested against Tyana's shoulder, surrendering to the care. In the security of her embrace, amidst the turmoil of their adventure, Aldar found a rare moment of peace and allowed sleep to overtake him.

———

As they exited the room, the barrier that had isolated them from the outside world dissipated, revealing Donlin standing guard outside. She appeared to be the picture of stoic duty, but a subtle, knowing smile played at the corners of her mouth, betraying her feigned ignorance.

Beyond Donlin, in a disciplined formation, stood a unit of paladins. Their commander, Seraphina Veilheart, was a striking figure in her high paladin armor, which shimmered with a golden hue. Adorned with the emblem of The Heartbound Reapers, her armor’s exquisite craftsmanship stood out in lavish contrast to the simpler, yet formidable, attire of the paladins behind her.

“I was merely ensuring there were no unwelcome interruptions,” Donlin said, a hint of mischief twinkling in her eyes. Her casual tone was underpinned by an unmistakable glint of understanding.

Tyana, catching the knowing look in Donlin's eyes, felt a surge of triumphant satisfaction. She responded with a slight nod accompanied by a smug half-smile. In that moment, Tyana felt like a champion, basking in the glory of her conquest.

With a fluid motion, Seraphina removed her helmet, revealing her stern, composed features. As she stepped forward, her unit followed in perfect sync, each step measured and precise, advancing towards Tyana.

The paladins, who had been anxiously awaiting outside, collectively exhaled in relief upon seeing Aldar safe. However, their relief morphed into envy as they took in the unusual sight: Aldar, clad only in a coat, being carried by Tyana, who firmly gripped his thighs for support.

Seraphina’s gaze swiftly shifted among Aldar, Donlin, and Tyana, her expression a complex blend of inquiry and subtle disapproval. “What exactly has transpired here, and why was entry barred for so long?” she asked, her voice resonating with authority. Her scrutinizing gaze lingered on Aldar's scant attire and Tyana's grip.

Before anyone could respond, Seraphina issued a commanding statement, “This matter demands a thorough discussion. Follow my unit to the cathedral. We shall seek clarity there.” Her command left no room for argument, and her stance conveyed the urgency and seriousness of the situation.

Donlin released a weary sigh, her expression a blend of resignation and defense. “I assure you, High Paladin Seraphina, the barrier was erected at Aldar's request,” she began, pausing to clear her throat. “I suggest you inquire with Aldar directly about his reasons for seeking a private discussion with Tyana.” She attempted to justify her actions with these words. Recognizing the gravity of Seraphina's command and noticing Tyana's dreamy gaze fixed on Aldar's sleeping face, Donlin nodded in acquiescence. “We will comply and follow to the cathedral.”

As Seraphina's words, steeped in the urgency of their mission, echoed through the air, Tyana's focus was unwaveringly fixed on Aldar. Her gaze held a depth of emotion that clearly surpassed mere concern, bordering on a profound fixation. To those present, it was unmistakable that Tyana's attentiveness to Aldar transcended the typical bounds of protector and victim.

“Tyana,” Seraphina started, her tone resolute and unyielding, “It is imperative for Aldar's safety that he is under our protection during the journey to the cathedral.” Her eyes, sharp and authoritative. “Please, hand Aldar over to us now.”

Yet, Tyana's response was instinctive and intense. A frown marred her features, signaling internal turmoil. The mere thought of being separated from Aldar, even under the guise of safeguarding him, seemed to unsettle her deeply. She wavered, visibly torn, her hands clenching involuntarily.

Observing Tyana's marked unease at relinquishing Aldar, Donlin interjected with a firm tone. "Tyana, we must prioritize the greater good. Aldar's well-being is our foremost concern, and challenging the High Paladin could attract unnecessary attention."

With palpable reluctance, Tyana yielded, though her expression was etched with a raw, almost possessive longing. “Very well,” she murmured, her voice a delicate fusion of sadness and hesitance.

As the Heartbound Reapers, led by Seraphina, moved to encircle Aldar, their actions were precise and protective. Tyana, though outwardly compliant, struggled to conceal the intense, possessive concern etched on her face. Her eyes lingering on Aldar with an unsettling intensity. As the group set off towards the cathedral.

———

Aldar woke up slowly, finding himself in his own bed. He was confused at first, trying to remember how he got back. The last thing he remembered was being carried by Tyana, but now he was here, in his room.

He looked around, taking in the soft light filtering through his window and the quiet that surrounded him, a stark contrast to the recent chaos. As his eyes adjusted, Aldar's attention was drawn to his desk, where two letters lay. One was unmistakably from Tyana – her name was written on the envelope, adorned with hearts and a playful flourish, addressed 'To Aldar.' The other letter appeared more formal, with a neat and precise handwriting, devoid of any embellishments.

Curious, Aldar reached for Tyana’s letter first. The hearts on the envelope seemed to dance as he carefully opened it. Inside, her handwriting sprawled across the page in a manner that felt both eager and intimate. He began to read:

“Dear Aldar,

I hope this letter finds you in good health and spirits. I must share something important with you. Despite my efforts and desires, I have been denied entry into your squad. It's a decision that weighs heavily on me, but it doesn't change anything for me.

You should know, Aldar, I'm always close by. If you ever need me, just say my name and I'll be there. It doesn't matter where you are or what you're facing; my commitment to your safety is absolute.

You're not just another person to me, Aldar. I see my role as your protector, always watching over you, even if from the shadows. If danger looms, think of me. I'll be your unseen guardian, always vigilant.

Take care, and remember, I'm never too far away.

Always yours, Tyana”

Aldar paused over Tyana's words, “I'm never too far away” and “it doesn't change anything for me.” These phrases lingered in his mind, their meaning not entirely clear to him. The idea that Tyana might always be close by, seemingly unaffected by not joining his squad, left him feeling somewhat puzzled.

Aldar sat quietly for a moment, contemplating the implication of her words. With a light shake of his head, Aldar moved past these thoughts. There were complexities about Tyana that he hadn't fully grasped yet. Perhaps this was just one of them. He put the letter down, his mind still lightly touching on her words, but he chose not to linger on them, turning his attention to the other letter instead.

Just as Aldar reached for the other letter, a knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. He paused, listening. There were muffled voices on the other side – low, familiar tones that he recognized instantly.

“Aldar, are you awake?” It was Trixie's voice, tinged with a mix of concern and curiosity. Beside her, Zendia and Imyun seemed to be trying to listen in, their presence evident even through the barrier of the door.

“We just wanted to make sure you're okay,” Zendia added, her voice slightly louder, carrying her characteristic warmth.

Imyun's softer, more hesitant voice chimed in, “Yeah, we were all worried about you.”

Aldar set the unopened letter back on the desk. For a moment, he considered the voices of his squad mates, the concern they held for him, and the contrast it presented to the solitary contemplation he had just been engaged in. With a small, appreciative smile, he called out, “Yes, I'm awake. Give me a moment, I'll be right there.”

As Aldar opened the door, he was greeted by the visibly concerned faces of Trixie, Zendia, and Imyun. Their eyes scanned him quickly, relief flooding their features as they confirmed his well-being.

“We heard you were kidnapped,” Trixie blurted out, her voice laced with worry. “We were so worried!”

Zendia nodded in agreement, “Yeah, it's good to see you back safe. You don't seem hurt.”

Imyun added softly, her relief palpable, “We're just glad you're okay.”

Aldar's smile widened, touched by their genuine concern. He sought to lighten the mood. “Well, it looks like I'm all in one piece – no scratches or anything,” his voice imbued with a cheerful undertone. He hoped this light-hearted comment would ease their worries.

He casually leaned against the door frame, his smile evolving into a teasing grin. “Turns out the world isn't as safe as I thought. Maybe having guards around isn't such a bad idea after all.” Aldar chuckled lightly, then added with a playful raise of his eyebrows, “They even called me an incubus – can you believe that? And here I was, just being my usual charming self. What do you think, do I really give off that incubus vibe?”

Aldar's playful inquiry about resembling an incubus elicited a synchronized blush from Trixie, Zendia, and Imyun. Their cheeks flushed with a mix of amusement and mild agreement, even as they playfully skirted around a direct admission.

Trixie, trying to strike a balance between jest and truth, replied with a twinkle in her eye, “Well, you might not be an incubus, but there's a certain... shall we say, enchanting quality about you.”

Zendia, with a half-smile, chimed in, “An incubus? Maybe not, but you do have a way of captivating attention, much like they're said to do.”

Imyun, with both her bodies moving in sync, took a moment before chiming in. “Well, according to most lore I've read, an incubus has a certain...um, statistical advantage in charm. So, hypothetically, if one applied those metrics, you might be... somewhat similar, in a non-literal sense, of course.”

Zendia quickly took the lead in the conversation, her tone warm and inviting. “I'm really glad you're safe, Aldar. If you're feeling scared or need some protection, my door is always open. You can come to my room anytime, for any reason,” she offered kindly. “Or, if you'd rather, I can come to you. Sometimes it helps to talk about these things, you know?”

Aldar appreciated the concern in Zendia's voice, but he felt it was important to reassure his friends. “Thanks, Zendia, that means a lot. But honestly, I don't feel too shaken up by it all,” he replied, trying to put them at ease. “Sure, it was scary at first, but I don't think Melandyr, the woman who kidnapped me, intended to hurt me. It was an odd situation, but I'm okay.”

As Aldar spoke, his squadmates exchanged glances, their expressions a blend of relief and lingering concern. Trixie, leaned forward slightly, her eyes searching Aldar's for any sign of unspoken distress. “If you say so, Aldar,” she said slowly, “but remember, we're here for you. No matter what.”

Aldar nodded, touched by their concern. “I appreciate that, everyone. Really, I do.” He paused, a thoughtful look crossing his face. “You know, I think I might take you up on that offer to talk, but maybe after a bit of rest. It's been... a long day.”

Trixie, Zendia, and Imyun nodded in unison, understanding the need for space and rest after such an ordeal. “Of course, Aldar,” Trixie said, “just let us know when you're ready. We'll be around.”

With a final round of reassuring smiles and nods, the trio began to disperse, each heading back to their respective quarters, but not without casting backward glances filled with care and worry. Aldar watched them go, feeling a sense of gratitude for their friendship and support.

Once alone, Aldar returned to the desk, his gaze settling on the second, unopened letter. He picked it up, noting its formal appearance and the precision of the handwriting. As he broke the seal, the letter began to emit a gentle, ambient glow. The magic within it activated, and instead of written words, a voice emerged – unmistakably that of the Pontificia.

“Hello, my saint candidate,” the voice said in a relaxed tone. “I'd like to have a chat with you. Please come to my office at your earliest convenience today. We have some things to discuss, nothing too urgent.”

The voice carried a hint of intrigue, making it clear that while the matter wasn't pressing. “Take your time, have a good breakfast, and when you're ready, I'll be waiting. Looking forward to seeing you.”

———

8