Chapter 12: Arriving in Praecantio
395 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the final time, the white light vanished. We stood in a large open space with a tall ceiling, supported by half a dozen round pillars. It was a grand space. Although nothing could hold a candle to the residences of the gods. Everything just seemed a bit duller here.

I wondered if I had been spoiled. Would I ever be able to appreciate human architecture again? I certainly hope so.

“Elliot!” Bella screamed, releasing my hand and running from my side.

A few meters away lay a young woman with bright blue hair crumpled on the floor.

Bella rushed to her side, checking her pulse and breathing. She began compressions, in an attempt to save her.

“Stop!” a voice cried from across the hall. “Guards!”

I looked to see a man with blonde hair. Not nearly as bright as Bella’s, but abnormal nonetheless.

Beside him stood a tall man with stern features. The man wore regal attire and a crown. If Acone was a kingdom, then he must have been the king.

“No wait, you don’t understand,” Bella cried from behind me.

Five armor-clad knights surrounded her. Halberds aimed at her neck, guiding her away from the woman.

“You shall not desecrate the body of my beloved sister,” the younger man said through what seemed like false tears. “Heroes or not you should be ashamed.”

“I was just performing CPR,” Bella shouted. “First aid. That’s all!”

“What are you –”

“Excuse me sir,” I said to the taller man. “My friend may use techniques you may not be familiar with, but she is a healer. Please allow her attempts to save this woman.”

“A healer?” the tall man repeated. His low voice echoing throughout the chamber. “Very well, guards allow her to proceed, but know that your leeway is limited.”

Bella immediately returned to her compressions. It didn’t seem to be working.

“I have an idea.” I said aloud.

I moved beside Bella and gave my suggestion. “Bella,” I said. “Try your ability. You can heal any wound.”

“Ability…Right!” Bella exclaimed. “Of course.”

Bella turned. She focused on the woman with every bit of concentration she could muster. I could see the effort she put into it.

The woman’s body glowed slightly, but she did not seem to improve.

“Again!” Bella yelled.

Again, the woman glowed, but did not wake.

“Agai –” She began.

“That is enough,” the deep voiced king bellowed. “Laeanna has passed. Such is the will of Ulla. You shall not continue.”

“But I have a healing ability,” Bella tried to explain before turning back to try once more.

Putting my hand on her shoulder I stopped her. “Your abilities should have already healed her. That they didn’t work likely means…”

“That my sister is dead,” the young tenor said. “Killed by the summoning of a hero from another world.”

Bella and I weren’t sure how to react.

“Rest assured,” he said, “I hold no contempt for you.”

We decided to begin our introductions as the doors to the room flung open.

“Eanna!” a girl yelled running to the woman on the floor.

She couldn’t be much past sixteen years old, bright red hair. She wore a set of armor straight out of a fantasy novel. Crimson cloth and polished metal, a sword at her side.

“Eanna, no!” the girl wailed. “Father, brother what happened! Who are these people? What did they do to Eanna?”

The king motioned for the guards to take Eanna’s body as the blond man approached his sister. “Eanna has died summoning two heroes from another world,” he said. “they will help to protect all of Acone from the advancing demon army.”

“No!” the girl yelled. She whipped around drawing her sword. “You killed my sister. You cannot be heroes! You must be imposters.”

The girl lunged stabbing her sword directly at Bella.

Her blade stopped centimeters from Bella’s petrified face. The young man had ahold of the girl’s arm. I couldn’t see if the girl had stopped, the prince had stopped her or if Bella’s new tool had protected her. I certainly hope it was that the girl had actually stopped herself.

She called the king father, so she must be a princess. There is no way having a princess mad at you won’t impede our progress.

“Aagh!” the girl yelled, crying at her inability to take revenge.

“That’s enough,” the prince said, trying to sooth the girl. “This was Laeanna’s decision. It was not the hero’s fault. She did not mean for this to happen Alea. No one meant for this to happen.”

The girl fought to break free of her older brother, who was clearly struggling to hold her. Bella seemed frozen on the floor, likely petrified at the thought someone had died because of us or that a young woman had been thrusting a sword at her face moments before.

“You are no hero,” the girl shouted as her father, the king, approached her. “and I will never forgive you. I will have justice for my sister. Don’t think this is over…”

I felt bad for her. I can’t even imagine losing a brother or sister. But, why? Thoth had fixed the summoning and Bella had used a healing ability bestowed by a god. So, why did this happen?

“Philip,” the king said. “Tend to your sister. I shall welcome our guests and explain their situation.”

“Yes father,” Philip bowed.

He turned to face Bella and me. “I apologize for my younger sister. Given the circumstance I would ask you to be understanding of her.”

““Of course,”” Bella and I nearly shouted, both surprised that it was even considered optional in their opinion.

Philip guided his sister out of the hall. Glaring at Bella and me in an obvious and concerning way. I knew that whatever happened, there would be animosity between us. Not that I can blame her. From her perspective we were responsible for her sister’s death.

“I am King Philip Acone II,” the crowned man introduced himself, breaking my train of thought. “Welcome to the kingdom of Acone, heroes of another world.”

Somehow the king seemed in high spirits. Considering the situation, I would think he would be utterly distraught. Perhaps that was a trait of nobility that he and the prince shared. Compartmentalization.

“This world is not the world into which you were born,” the king continued. “Rather, through the generous act of the goddess Ulla, you have been transported here to receive a new life as the heroes of our nation.”

He made it sound like such a favor. As if our lives before could not compare to the opportunities we were being given. Well honestly, I was looking forward to a world of magic.

The king described the situation. It was the story you would expect. A demon lord had appeared and threatened the kingdoms of the world. All races were in danger. We were their last hope. Etcetera.

What struck me was the similarities to the stories I had read in my previous world. It almost didn’t seem real. The grand cathedral ceiling, the stereotypical regal attire, the armor-clad guards. There seemed to be something almost artificial about the whole thing. As if it had been staged. Although that was probably just me comparing their actions to the stories I had read.

“For now,” the king said, “you must be tired from the summoning. We will be having a feast in honor of your arrival this evening. For now... Sara…”

A young woman about our age stepped forward. The first thing I noticed she had blue highlights in her blond hair. The second thing I noticed…her ears. Through her hair poked the slight point of her ears. Pointed ears…could she be an elf? How amazing would that be. An actual elf. Ulla and the king had both mentioned the kingdom of the dwarves, so I suppose it only makes sense. But still…an elf!

“Sara will be your attendant during your time in Acone,” he continued. “Sara please show these two to guest quarters.”

11