Chapter 28: Learning to Read
211 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first thing I did when I got back was check to see if Bella had been given the same news. Nope. She hadn’t returned. So, I changed from my wet clothes and began my exercises. I began with some basic stretches followed by muscle building and cardio. It wasn’t long before I found myself bored and tired. But I stuck with it…at least longer than I expected I would.

I decided to sneak out and see if Fiena was available. Maybe I could sneak in some reading practice today. I ran from building to building until I stood at the servant’s dormitory. Knocked on the door and was received by a young girl.

“The…the hero…um how…how can I help you?”

How did she know I was the hero? Was my face that recognizable? No wait it was probably my white hair.

“Hello. I am looking for Fiena,” I told the girl. “Is she in?”

“Um…Fiena…I don’t think…let me check.”

Was the girl nervous because I was a hero? Probably.

“No. Sorry, Fiena already reported to the main palace. I can go find her for you though.”

“No no,” I waved my hands. “That’s not necessary. Thank you for looking.”

With that awkward interaction over I made my way back to the guest room, checked to see if Bella had returned and shed my wet clothes once again.

I hoped I didn’t catch a cold…actually come to think of it. This is a different world, right? I wondered about the difference in bacteria and viruses. There were heroes which traversed the interdimensional void before, without ill effect, but was that just luck? Was it a matter of time before an interdimensional traveler brought a plague or died from some unfamiliar disease?

Surely that’s something the god’s must have thought about. They must have something in place to protect the world and their heroes…right?

With that pleasant thought running through my head, I returned to my training.

Hours passed. I took many breaks, but to my credit I continued to return to the training over and over. That is until I heard a knock on my door. Bella?

“Come in,” I called as I struggled to finish my last few pushups. I couldn’t very well leave off on an unrounded number.

“Um…hero?” a meek voice said.

I looked up to see Fiena standing in my doorway awkwardly.

“Oh Fiena. I’m sorry I thought it would be…never mind. Please come in. What are you doing here?”

“I was told you were looking for me,” she said shyly. “Is there something I can help you with?”

Had that girl gone looking for Fiena even though I told her not to? No maybe not it had actually been a while since that time.

“Oh that. I wanted to let you know that my training was cancelled for this morning and wondered if you would want to change our scheduled reading practice. Only if you’re available and want to that is.”

“Available?” she said. “Yes, I can change my schedule. The majority of my chores have been done already. I was just about to take a break anyway. I can finish my work later.”

Excellent.

“Then would you please teach me the language of Acone?” I asked politely as Sir Aborisey had taught me.

Soon, we had moved to the small library on the fourth floor. A study-like area with a variety of books on Acone myths and religion. It really was a building meant to showcase the wealth of Acone.

Fiena chose a book from the bookcase on an Acone myth. She said it was the tale of a tragic hero who defeated a demon lord, but lost himself to despair in the process. It showcased magic, martial arts, military strategy and a basic reading level. Making it the perfect book for beginners. Or so she said. The topic seemed a bit bothersome to me.

We moved the chairs so the two of us were sitting directly next to each other as Fiena began to point and read under the dim light of the midmorning sun.

“In the second age of Adore…” she began.

But something strange happened. As she read I heard both the words she was saying and something else.

“Adore, firez rippi…”

“Wait, say that again,” I requested.

She did and the same thing happened. I could hear two distinctly different things. Both in her voice, both at the same time.

Why? What was going on.

I pointed to a specific set of symbols on the page “Could you read this word please?”

“Firez” “Era”

“Okay now just tell me the story without reading it.” I said.

A puzzled Fiena did as I requested, telling me about a hero named Niiro who had been a great swordsman even before arriving in Praecantio.

Nothing… No second language.

“Alright now say the word … apple”

“Aiq” “Apple” she said in two tones.

Interesting. Then there must be something about the interpretation which allows for me to hear the original language if that is the intention.

Excellent.

I explained my findings to the still confused Fiena before asking her to briefly go through each word on the first page of the book.

We slowly continued through page after page. . Perhaps it was my boosted memory, but after she read a word I could generally remember it. It wasn’t perfect, and still the pace seemed excruciatingly slow, but it was much faster than I assumed we would be going.

Unfortunately our time was running out and I had promised information in return for her tutoring. So in exchange for a story about a hero I told her a folktale about a hero from my homeland. Explaining details about technology and culture as I went to fill in any gaps in her knowledge.

“Is that the kind of thing you are interested in?” I asked after I concluded. “Or did you want to know more concrete things?”

“I loved the story…although it is unfortunate that defeating the machine took the man’s life. But it does make me want to know more about the technologies of your world. I would love to know how such machines worked and what they could be used for.”

“Absolutely,” I said thinking about the mage general. This was a much more natural flow to my style of teaching. Any topic which I felt interested in.

…my teaching…my appointment. I was going to be late for my appointment with the high advisor.

“I need to go,” I said abruptly, “I’m late for my appointment with Sir Aborisey.”

“Sir Aborisey!” she nearly yelled. “The high advisor?!”

9