Chapters 5&6: Thoth’s Judgement
610 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood in a large hallway. Black walls illuminated by the subtle glow of a white stone floor and matching pillars. A god known to provide judgement for the dead towered before me with a tall bird-like head and outstretched arms. The god Thoth had summoned an ankh, a symbol which may represent both life and death. In this case the context seemed clear.

“Make your choice child,” Thoth spoke, his gentleness supplanted by a deeply menacing tone. “Leave the ankh and you will be transported to a world of fantasy to begin a new life of magic and adventure. Touch the ankh and your soul will be removed from the summoning and judged by divine standards. Life or death, immortality or oblivion, that is what you are waging.”

I reached my hand for the ornate ankh hovering between Thoth’s arms wondering if the summoning could still be influencing my mind. Perhaps this whole experience was in my mind. A way for my subconscious to express itself. Either way it didn’t matter. I had already made my decision.

“I need your assurance that Bella will be alright,” I said, holding my hand just off the loop.

“I guarantee that she will survive the transfer with the powers of a Hero of Praecantio,” Thoth replied. “Although I suggest you allow her a part in your decision.”

“It’s not a difficult choice to make,” I said, grasping the loop firmly. “Bella is a good person, I am often apathetic, she is needed by an entire world, I find it difficult to find and work toward any single objective. And above all I … she is my friend. What kind of person wouldn’t make this decision?”

The ankh exploded in a thousand colors of light. No, that’s not right. The color did not change. My eyes saw the room exactly as it was before, but I also perceived a vibrant array of … something. As if I had been blind but could now see for the first time. Maybe a new sense, something only available to … to the dead.

Along with the vibrant array came a massive pressure. If flooded over me, flowing from my hand across every inch of my body. I felt light, as if gravity had stopped acting on me. I felt empowered, as if my body stopped using its own energy. I felt a slight pain, as if tape were peeling off my entire body. It was not pleasant, but not excruciating either. At least not so much as I imagined dying.

The most concerning part of the event, what gave me chills, stood behind the ankh. The ibis-headed god caste into the shadow of whatever the ankh had produced. A long beak thrown toward the sky laughing. His deep voice made the laughter genuinely terrifying. As far as I can reason, you should be concerned when a god of eternal judgement begins laughing uncontrollably as he is judging your self-worth, deciding whether your heart will be consumed by a monster as you are cast to oblivion.

My eyes clamped shut as I prepared myself. My breath hastened and my mind raced. It was just like people described it. I saw flashes of my family, of Bella and Tara and all the times I spent studying. Had it not been for them I really would have spent my life alone in front of a book or a computer screen. I couldn’t help but evaluate my priorities. Perhaps I should have tried to be more focused, more open to things. I wondered if I had wasted my life. It was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, and while I had used my time exactly as I wanted, had I used it well?

A thought crossed my mind as I felt my body continue to change. When would I know that I had passed into oblivion? At what point would I end? Would I lose consciousness first, or would my consciousness simply cease? For once, I was not overly curious to find the answer.

“Yes, yes!” Thoth cried aloud, pulling me from my thoughts. “Well done. Truly!”

The pain lessened to a slight prickle. I still felt light and strangely energized. Cautiously opening my eyes, I saw the not-light fade. Soon the ankh itself vanished from my hand.

“Does this mean…did I pass? Do I get to go to the afterlife?”

“Child…no Elliot,” Thoth said curling his long fingers around my shoulder. “You have twice impressed me. First as a god of knowledge and second as a god of judgement.”

 “Does that mean that I will be able to pass on peacefully?” I said hopefully. “No devouring my heart.”

It was an honest question, but he returned to his laughter. For a moment I thought he was going to make a quip about sending me to my ‘eternal peace.’ Seriously, a god should be careful not to sound too evil.

“No, no,” he continued. “That was a test of a different sort. I mean no offense, but I needed to know if you would be worth my effort.”

“Worth your…” I repeated, trying to decide if he was being rude or if I was being ungrateful. Given that he is a god of divine knowledge and judgement I eventually decided to accept the latter.

“What effort?” I asked. “I don’t mean to be rude, but isn’t judging people for the afterlife part of your job?”

More laughter. I was getting tired of his laughter.

“You misunderstand. When the summoning concludes, you will both arrive safely in Praecantio,” he beamed clicking his beak, clearly proud of whatever it was he had done.”

“But you said–”

“I have removed you from a portion of the summoning ritual. Enough that you will no longer act as a drain on your friend’s life.”

The way he phrased that really bothered me. It reminded me of another conversation I once had. But now was not the time to be looking back.

I Bowed my head once again. “Thank you, Thoth,” I said with sincere gratitude. “I do not understand what you have done, but I know that it was a great act. Thank you for your kindness.”

When I lifted my head back, I swore the Thoth’s black feathered head was blushing.

“I approve of your personality,” Thoth stated. “As for what I have done, you may think of it like charging a battery. Instead of using the energy from your friend, you will burn the excess energy I gave you. Instead of being pulled to Praecantio you will be pushed from Earth.”

“Then it will be like we were both summoned separately?” I asked. “Like two hero summonings?”

“No,” Thoth stated bluntly. “There will still only be one summoning. To propel a soul out from one world and have them land on a pre-determined target is highly inefficient. You will still be bound to the initial summoning. So, while you will arrive without the same energy as that which your friend will receive from the journey. She will absorb energy from the interdimensional void, the energy I give you will be essentially depleted.”

“Inefficient. Depleted.” I repeated. “Does that mean you are wasting your own energy?”

“Not at all,” he stated smugly. “You passed my test all on your own. So, it’s not a waste. Besides while you will arrive as a human of Earth, you still have the potential to study and grow.”

I got the feeling he was downplaying what he did but decided to let it go with my sincere gratitude, but my second bout of thanks was interrupted by a beam of light piercing the hallway.

The bright light came from an open door and illuminated a womanly form. It was difficult to make out her face at first. I thought one of the goddesses had entered the hall. Bella returned from her trip to the goddesses’ closet wearing a new shirt and pants. One of the goddesses, must have been identical to Bella. The clothes seemed tailor fitted to her curves, not only fitting but accentuating every aspect of her figure.

She wore what should have been a simple white blouse and tan pants. Yet, she wore them as if they were the quintessence of what clothing was meant to be. My eyes took in her entire form from her head to toe. The v-cut neckline of frilled just slightly, acting to reveal and conceal at the same time. The slightly transparent sleeves lightly hugged her slender arms.  The material gathered around her waist before flaring back over the thigh-tight tan pants.

I stood, completely enamored unsure if I could blame my reaction on her wearing the clothes of a goddess.

I must have been staring a bit too long, as I felt Thoth give me a whack on the back. “Well…”

“Oh. Bella, you look…amazing.”

“Thank you,” she beamed. “Sir, are you sure it’s alright for me to wear this?”

“Of course, my dear,” Thoth replied, clicking his beak again.

“Then, please give my gratitude to your wife and daughter,” Bella said, thanking Thoth.

“I will. Now we are likely running out of time. Do either of you have any other questions for me?” Thoth asked.

“You said Bella is being summoned by a goddess from another world.” I said. “Do you know why she is being summoned?”

“That is not entirely correct, Elliot,” Thoth corrected. “The gods do not genuinely conduct interdimensional summons. Rather we simply oversee them. Your friend has been summoned by a mortal who has received a blessing from Ulla. Ulla will be greeting you as a representative of Praecantio, just as I am sending you off as a representative of Earth. Praecantio is beyond the purview of my knowledge.”

“Then, can you tell us about Ulla?” Bella asked. “If she is the goddess overseeing the world and the summoner then knowing about her should give insight to the person she blessed. Right?”

“Oh my, Earth will certainly miss the two of you,” Thoth chuckled. “I have had little contact with Ulla. My dear Seshat has interacted her a few times, though. Ulla is a goddess of light and fertility. From my understanding she likes to take an active role in guiding her followers, granting blessings like the one which summoned you.”

“Will she give Elliot and I blessings too?”

“I cannot speak to the will of another,” Thoth said, “but I imagine that she would as a means to ease your transition as a hero of her world.”

“What about language?” Bella asked. “Praecantio must have its own set of languages.”

“I didn’t even think about that,” I admitted. I was treating this whole thing like a fantasy story, where everyone just kind of spoke the same language for some reason.

“Good question,” Thoth praised. As the originator of language and writing that one must have really impressed him. “Traditionally the god overseeing the transfer will provide summon with the ability to comprehend the language spoken by their summoner.”

“What about written–” I began.

“I’m sorry, Elliot,” Thoth interrupted, raising his hand. “It seems we are out of time. The summoning has commenced.”

With that a large pattern began to weave its way in the patterns in the white floor. They centered themselves around Bella’s feet radiating out all the way to the walls. I found myself captivated by the sight of intricate patterns. It must have been a summoning circle. What I thought strange were the details. I could tell that they were there but couldn’t make them out. It was like my mind didn’t want to focus on them.

“Good luck to you both,” Thoth said, standing tall. “Remember, a new world means new rules. Be vigilant and stay safe.”

Bella ran up to thank Thoth one last time before moving next to me. Interestingly the summoning circle seemed to move with her, even as it grew and became more intricate. Perhaps I focused too much again. This time Bella nudged me, “Well…”
“Right,” I said extending my hand as he had before. “Thank you for everything. I will not forget your kindness.”

When I returned my hand to my side, it was met by Bella's hand. As the room faded to white and the god Thoth disappeared from view, I was glad I would be able to enter this new world with my old friend.

14