650. Side Story: Love and Acknowledgement
1.1k 4 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chen Wentian and Peng Lingxi both stared at the loud-mouthed person. They had simply been sharing a bottle of the local wine while having a good time. Then out of nowhere, someone started shouting nonsense at them.

“Master, I think he is talking about us.” She whispered.

“I know. How did we find such a nosy person? So unlucky!” He replied.

To this, Peng Lingxi let out a giggle that could be clearly heard by everyone in the tavern.

“Damn sissy, you dare laugh? Come here and laugh in front of this grandaddy’s face!”

Crash!

Butcher Sword drew his massive sword and cleaved the nearby table into two. He stood over the wreckage like a war god, ready to battle. The other occupants in the room all scrambled to their feet and fled for the exit. The owner had already disappeared into the back, not daring to show his face.

Chen Wentian continued to ignore this insignificant person and poured his newest disciple another cup.

“Lingxi, what type of man do you prefer?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you prefer a cool-headed and refined man who can resolve simple problems without bloodshed? Or, do you prefer a hot-blooded warrior who will fight for your honor and your love?”

Peng Lingxi let out a scoff but her face told him she was pleased.

Their relationship was still new so they had not done anything besides kisses and light touches. He could have already slept with her if he asked. He was sure she would not have said no. But he decided to take a different approach and get to know her better first.

“Master, if you want to be cool-headed, then I will like it. If you want to be hot-blooded, I will also like it. If you want me to take care of this little problem, I will like it as well.” She finished with a smile.

She was so unique. Sometimes, she awed him with her easygoing personality. She was sharp and capable but also agreeable. She did everything he asked and she was always happy. Her brightness gave him a warm feeling whenever he was around her.

Lin Qingcheng could be silly and needy. Zhou Ziyun was so smart that she sometimes made him feel dumb. Wu Qianyu would often become sad and moody for no apparent reason and he would have to coax her out of it.

The others also had their own quirks. He always had to work hard and be ready to react and take care of their needs. In contrast, Peng Lingxi asked nothing from him. She simply wanted to be with him, Chen Wentian, the person she had first met many years ago. If he went east, she would follow. If he went west, she would clear the way.

It was so refreshing.

Chen Wentian gave her a small nudge with his shoulder against hers, “Then, why don’t you show me your amazing problem-solving ability?”

Peng Lingxi chuckled and stood up.

Seeing this, Butcher Sword swung his sword toward her in a battle stance, “What? You want to fight? Don’t ask for mercy later!”

Peng Lingxi walked towards him and drew her simple, slender sword, “Is it any of your business who I choose to love?”

The burly man’s face contorted with fury, “I gave you a chance to scram. You’ll regret it for being so arrogant! Take this!”

He raised his huge sword and brought it down with tremendous force. A great gust of wind swept through the tavern, upending the tables and smashing everything.

This guy named Butcher Sword practiced a type of sword Dao that incorporated the wind-attribute spiritual energy. It was a common sight in the desert regions. Facing most opponents, he would have been a formidable foe even against someone one or two levels higher in the Spirit Initiate Realm.

However, Peng Lingxi’s strength far surpassed him. She deftly dodged all the invisible sword blades that came at her. At the same time, her sword turned into a beam of light and carried her body forward. She rushed past the large man with barely any reaction. But that was all it took.

His oversized sword shattered and a small nick on the side of his neck started to bleed slightly. Shock, he clamped a hand on his neck and backed away in fright.

“Who… who are you?” He shouted.

If that sword had been a few hairs deeper, his life would have been over.

“You can leave.” Peng Lingxi said simply.

“You… fine!”

Moving quicker than a fleeing rat, he disappeared out the door without a second glance.

Chen Wentian laughed at the scene. Out of the entire tavern, only his section was unaffected. It was as if nothing had even happened. He even poured himself another cup of wine, fully embracing the playboy persona.

Peng Lingxi pouted slightly and walked back to him, “Master, I don’t know why you wanted me to wear male clothes. All of this could have been avoided.”

He pulled her down onto his lap and gave her an approving look, “How can I do that? You’re so beautiful, you’ll attract even more trouble from dirty men. It is better like this. I am a selfish person; I want to be the only one who can see your true appearance.”

“Good, I feel the same.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned in.

He obliged and gave her a soft kiss.

It left a sweet smile on her face and flashes of joy in her eyes.

“I’ll miss you while I am gone.” She said.

“Me too!”

They weren’t here for no reason. Peng Lingxi had set a mission for herself to seek out the fourth sword ground which was hidden somewhere within the desert. She saw it as a final tribute to her previous master as well as a potential way to reach the immortal realms quicker.

At first, she was content to practice her sword at the valley. But after learning about Jasmine as well as his own breakthrough to the Spirit King Realm, she didn’t want to be left behind. Coming here was all her own idea and he fully supported her.

“I have yet to prepare a Spirit Lord Realm item for you so you’ll have to make do with Tortoise Can Fly for now.” Chen Wentian said and transferred the flying carriage to her spatial bag, “Just use it to protect yourself in case of danger. I suspect that flying around with it won’t be too useful as Senior Dugu’s legacy obviously likes to hide. So many immortals have searched the deserts and have found nothing. Even Peng Yuefeng never managed to find it again.”

This was the truth of the matter that Immortal Desolate Sword Peng Yuefeng never revealed to anyone except his closest disciples. Peng Lingxi was among them and had also been told everything about how to find the sword ground. Even so, no other disciple had ever succeeded and her chances were equally low.

However, she was never a person to sit still. Her way of the sword was to continue walking forward and face whatever challenges head-on. This was her only way to stay by her love’s side.

“Master, I should get going.”

“Mmm, one last thing.” Chen Wentian opened his palm and presented a small object.

It was in the shape of a flower, a tulip, carved out of gray steel and polished smooth. It represented deep, unconditional love, a perfect kind of love that she uniquely represented. She started loving him all those years ago when he was still a mortal. She would continue loving him unconditionally across the immortal realms.

Peng Lingxi took it and nodded silently. She understood the meaning and her heart surged with indescribable happiness. She didn’t care if he wasn’t ready yet, she didn’t need him to return her feelings. Far from it, this kind of acknowledgment was perfect for her.

“Thank you…” She whispered and leaned in for another kiss.

---

Thank you to all my patrons!

Support me and read ahead by up to 140 chapters!

p atreon.com/kigreenwriting

Join my discord for updates, delays, and my ramblings :)

d iscord.gg/dY5UApw

23